PDA

View Full Version : Playing it now...

logik1911
04-11-2010, 05:48 PM
...My frat brother just brought it over. Forget what you saw in the demo...this game kicks a$$

You guys may know that I didn't like the demo too much for a few reasons, but the actual game so far is superior in every way. The graphics are alot more polished, the animations MUCH better looking, and the controls are improved as well. The interrogations look and control the same as the demo, though. Everything else is improved. I'm deleting that demo ASAP and pretending it never happened.

My impressions of the single player so far:

1- I'm playing on realistic and the AI is NOT stupid. You will get killed within seconds of being spotted. You CAN play this as a shooter, but moreso like rainbow six where you have to hang on to cover for dear life. Any running and gunning will get you cut to pieces. You also can't stay behind the same piece of cover for too long, because the enemies will either flank you or run right into you Kamikaze style.
I thought LKP was a gimmick, but you ABSOLUTELY need it in this game or else you won't stand a chance.

one negative about the AI so far is that their patterns become predictable quickly. I haven't seen anything too dynamic on subsequent run throughs..But if you get spotted their reactions change.

2- Mark and Execute is sped up a bit from the demo, but still ends in a slo mo kill each time. If you liked it before, you'll love it now. If you hated it before, you won't use it and won't think about it. I think the game is more fun without it, personally

3- Tactics. This game is EXTREMELY tactical. In Kobin's mansion you will reach a spot where several enemies rush you while their colleagues provide cover fire and hit the lights. It's entirely scripted, but well done, and I was surprised to see it so early in the game.

There is also an earlier section in the mansion where I put together a string of kills by combining M&E with the environment, LKP, and CQC. I took out 9 guys in like 10 seconds. This was the most bada$$ I have ever felt playing anything in my life, including SSF2 as A***a.

4-Stealth...The stealth is definitely there. I prefer to play the "predator" style, where I use stealth to pounce on enemies...but I USUALLY found a stealthy alternative around them. Unfortunately, some scenes..whether scripted or designed as such, force you into using your weapon a few times. It's a decent balance for everyone EXCEPT hardcore ghosters. I can't really speak for them on that one. Everyone else will love it.

5-Sam's running...ugh. I really wish they'd have done something with this animation.

6-The black and white- it gets annoying when you're playing a level with excellent graphics, but you do forget about it after a while. It's still intrusive, but not as big a hindrance as I was expecting

7-Story---I'm only up to the Iraq level, but the way the story moves along is done well. This game is relentless. I feel like I'm playing a spy thriller movie, and my adrenaline level is high. The closest I can compare it to is watching a few episodes of 24 as things develop in real time.

8-controls- much more fluid than in the demo. Shooting off a ledge is perfect. The shooting mechanics are precise. Climbing pipes, executing takedowns, diving to cover, jumping through windows, etc...it all feels natural and you'll pick it up in minutes. It's very intuitive. There is still the occasional clunky movement from having to hit A to make it around an obstacle but i find it's happening less as I get more comfortable.

This note is pretty long and I know you've read other reviews so i'll end it here.

I give the game a 9 so far. It's incredibly fun, calmed all my fears about the demo, and I can't wait to get to co-op. If you're a hardcore ghoster, you'll want to subtract a point or 2 because you WILL have to do some shooting. If you don't care to shy away from engagement, you will have a blast trying to figure out different ways to take out groups of people.

If you have any questions just let me know. Otherwise, get ready for a great joyride on Tuesday.

logik1911
04-11-2010, 05:48 PM
...My frat brother just brought it over. Forget what you saw in the demo...this game kicks a$$

You guys may know that I didn't like the demo too much for a few reasons, but the actual game so far is superior in every way. The graphics are alot more polished, the animations MUCH better looking, and the controls are improved as well. The interrogations look and control the same as the demo, though. Everything else is improved. I'm deleting that demo ASAP and pretending it never happened.

My impressions of the single player so far:

1- I'm playing on realistic and the AI is NOT stupid. You will get killed within seconds of being spotted. You CAN play this as a shooter, but moreso like rainbow six where you have to hang on to cover for dear life. Any running and gunning will get you cut to pieces. You also can't stay behind the same piece of cover for too long, because the enemies will either flank you or run right into you Kamikaze style.
I thought LKP was a gimmick, but you ABSOLUTELY need it in this game or else you won't stand a chance.

one negative about the AI so far is that their patterns become predictable quickly. I haven't seen anything too dynamic on subsequent run throughs..But if you get spotted their reactions change.

2- Mark and Execute is sped up a bit from the demo, but still ends in a slo mo kill each time. If you liked it before, you'll love it now. If you hated it before, you won't use it and won't think about it. I think the game is more fun without it, personally

3- Tactics. This game is EXTREMELY tactical. In Kobin's mansion you will reach a spot where several enemies rush you while their colleagues provide cover fire and hit the lights. It's entirely scripted, but well done, and I was surprised to see it so early in the game.

There is also an earlier section in the mansion where I put together a string of kills by combining M&E with the environment, LKP, and CQC. I took out 9 guys in like 10 seconds. This was the most bada$$ I have ever felt playing anything in my life, including SSF2 as A***a.

4-Stealth...The stealth is definitely there. I prefer to play the "predator" style, where I use stealth to pounce on enemies...but I USUALLY found a stealthy alternative around them. Unfortunately, some scenes..whether scripted or designed as such, force you into using your weapon a few times. It's a decent balance for everyone EXCEPT hardcore ghosters. I can't really speak for them on that one. Everyone else will love it.

5-Sam's running...ugh. I really wish they'd have done something with this animation.

6-The black and white- it gets annoying when you're playing a level with excellent graphics, but you do forget about it after a while. It's still intrusive, but not as big a hindrance as I was expecting

7-Story---I'm only up to the Iraq level, but the way the story moves along is done well. This game is relentless. I feel like I'm playing a spy thriller movie, and my adrenaline level is high. The closest I can compare it to is watching a few episodes of 24 as things develop in real time.

8-controls- much more fluid than in the demo. Shooting off a ledge is perfect. The shooting mechanics are precise. Climbing pipes, executing takedowns, diving to cover, jumping through windows, etc...it all feels natural and you'll pick it up in minutes. It's very intuitive. There is still the occasional clunky movement from having to hit A to make it around an obstacle but i find it's happening less as I get more comfortable.

This note is pretty long and I know you've read other reviews so i'll end it here.

I give the game a 9 so far. It's incredibly fun, calmed all my fears about the demo, and I can't wait to get to co-op. If you're a hardcore ghoster, you'll want to subtract a point or 2 because you WILL have to do some shooting. If you don't care to shy away from engagement, you will have a blast trying to figure out different ways to take out groups of people.

If you have any questions just let me know. Otherwise, get ready for a great joyride on Tuesday.

altair2nd
04-11-2010, 05:52 PM
Sounds awesome.

Would you say it's even comparable to chaos theory?

logik1911
04-11-2010, 05:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by altair2nd:
Sounds awesome.

Would you say it's even comparable to chaos theory? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's different. You're just not going to get the same kind of stealth experience as chaos theory. I haven't seen any missions like the high tech high rise penthouse, so far, for example. The levels tend to be alot more open ended (to give you room to get the hell out of dodge and regroup once spotted). This game is also EXTREMELY fast paced. it just throws alot of crap at you and you do alot of improvising on the fly.

On a quality level? It's up there near Chaos Theory. But as a Splinter Cell game? I can't say it's as good as Chaos Theory.

altair2nd
04-11-2010, 05:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LOGIK1911:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by altair2nd:
Sounds awesome.

It's different. You're just not going to get the same kind of stealth experience as chaos theory. I haven't seen any missions like the high tech high rise, so far, for example. The levels tend to be alot more open ended (to give you room to get the hell out of dodge and regroup once spotted). This game is also EXTREMELY fast paced. it just throws alot of crap at you and you do alot of improvising on the fly.

On a quality level? It's up there near Chaos Theory. But as a Splinter Cell game? I can't say it's as good as Chaos Theory. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Cool. If you get a chance to play infiltration tell us about it.

logik1911
04-11-2010, 06:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LOGIK1911:
Sounds awesome.

It's different. You're just not going to get the same kind of stealth experience as chaos theory. I haven't seen any missions like the high tech high rise, so far, for example. The levels tend to be alot more open ended (to give you room to get the hell out of dodge and regroup once spotted). This game is also EXTREMELY fast paced. it just throws alot of crap at you and you do alot of improvising on the fly.

On a quality level? It's up there near Chaos Theory. But as a Splinter Cell game? I can't say it's as good as Chaos Theory. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Cool. If you get a chance to play infiltration tell us about it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Will do. I'm having him leave the game here until tuesday as he's still trying to finish God Of War 3. Tonight I will give all the other modes a shot. Just trying to see if I can complete story mode before midnight.

Yabab_2
04-11-2010, 06:04 PM
I have to agree, the game is a lot more fast-paced. It throws a lot at you, not only in story but in gameplay too. But it's great. And at the later levels on Realistic, fighting Splinter Cells, if we didn't have M&E we would die 15+++ times before advancing. It would be the trial and error scenario all over again.

After finishing it I must say M&E was very well implemented and provides amazing moments throughout the entire game.

logik1911
04-11-2010, 06:11 PM
There are too many times when M&E allows you to shoot straight through walls and stuff. That kind of glitch in a game this polished is weird.

but yes, if you're a fan of the feature, you'll love it. They sped it up from the demo to make it more intense. I just wish they'd do something about that slo-mo at the end!

RaymondG69
04-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Hey guys, thanks for all this valuable info.

Gotta story question.

A few posters here -- and on other forums -- who have already played the game said that the story is not a typical SC story. They said that there's still the whole "terrorists" and "WMD" threat subplot, but that for the most part the story focuses on Sam seeking revenge for his daughter's murder.

What are your impressions? Does the story do a good job of sucking you in emotionally? You mentioned "24." That show always puts me on an emotional roller-coaster ride!

RG

logik1911
04-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Emotionally? Not really. It moves at you too fast. And it's not really overly dramatic.

But it does sustain a very high level of tension throughout that generates a feeling in your stomach. you KNOW that being spotted means instant death, so you're always on your toes. It makes you edgy. The music is EXCELLENT, too. Really gives you a sense of foreboding. The FEELING of tension and suspense is CLASSIC Splinter Cell.

Halfway through I DO want Sam to get a happy ending, though, lol. He doesn't seem all that interested in being a "predator"...the guy just wants his daughter..but waves and waves of enemies just keep coming at you. And these guys are ruthless. The way they talk and curse, you get the impression they torture people for fun. no redeeming qualities whatsoever, so I don't mind killing as many as I can without being seen. I want Sam to find peace, though...he's weary throughout the game.

altair2nd
04-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Is realistic actually challenging? and without giving away the slightest spoiler, what's the first pistol you get in the game?

logik1911
04-11-2010, 06:34 PM
Is realistic actually challenging? and without giving away the slightest spoiler, what's the first pistol you get in the game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes it is. You honestly have no choice BUT to play stealthy. These guys will kill you on sight. Now once you memorize a level and figure out the best approach it becomes much easier, but initially, prepare to die. ALOT. the teams you encounter use real tactics to engage you. From Kobin's mansion on.

You start with an MK23 silenced. The first pistol I actually got from the stash was an MP- 446. I upgraded it immediately and love it. Has a laser sight, an extra mark, and match grade ammo for more distance. It's my baby.

altair2nd
04-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Is realistic actually challenging? and without giving away the slightest spoiler, what's the first pistol you get in the game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes it is. You honestly have no choice BUT to play stealthy. These guys will kill you on sight. Now once you memorize a level and figure out the best approach it becomes much easier, but initially, prepare to die. ALOT. the teams you encounter use real tactics to engage you. From Kobin's mansion on.

You start with an MK23 silenced. The first pistol I actually got from the stash was an MP- 446. I upgraded it immediately and love it. Has a laser sight, an extra mark, and match grade ammo for more distance. It's my baby. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Awesome! thanks dude.

shanethebouncer
04-11-2010, 06:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Yabab_2:
I have to agree, the game is a lot more fast-paced. It throws a lot at you, not only in story but in gameplay too. But it's great. And at the later levels on Realistic, fighting Splinter Cells, if we didn't have M&E we would die 15+++ times before advancing. It would be the trial and error scenario all over again.

After finishing it I must say M&E was very well implemented and provides amazing moments throughout the entire game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On one of the live streams a guy was at the 3E head quarters and when he got detected the splinter cell just stood in the doorway and got shot

RaymondG69
04-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Ray to "Logik" --

Yeah, that's what I heard too. That all Sam wants is to get his daughter back and that Michael Ironside did a admirable job of conveying that emotion. Someone else wrote that Sam really looks haggard and strained throughout the game.

RG

Yabab_2
04-11-2010, 07:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shanethebouncer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Yabab_2:

After finishing it I must say M&E was very well implemented and provides amazing moments throughout the entire game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On one of the live streams a guy was at the 3E head quarters and when he got detected the splinter cell just stood in the doorway and got shot </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was he playing on Realistic or did he say he was? Glitches happen in the game. That's inevitable. But the AI's pretty good. The Splinter Cell encounters in the last stages in Realistic are though to survive without M&E. They flashbang your face without you even noticing and storm from all angles. Since you die in two shots you can never expose yourself. And being flanked is bad for bussiness.

STK_468
04-11-2010, 08:19 PM
so are you still going to wait to play the coop till tuesday night with me? or should I look for another partner?

logik1911
04-11-2010, 09:41 PM
Def. playing co-op tuesday! I have to go to bed soon and I still have to stop by gamestop at midnight tomorrow, partner!

ReDLaCES22
04-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Hey LOGIK1911 what's your gamertag bro!? I think I wanna play with you over Xbox Live in some co-op lol.:-D And how long do you think it will take the average player to complete it (w/o giving any spoilers of course) :-)

iSplinter
04-11-2010, 10:28 PM
From the demo gameplay that I've had Realistic seems the only way to go. Normal is way to easy but Realistic isn't to hard if you have good tactics. Gonna be great. Sounds like an easy 1K though.

logik1911
04-11-2010, 10:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ReDLaCES22:
Hey LOGIK1911 what's your gamertag bro!? I think I wanna play with you over Xbox Live in some co-op lol.:-D And how long do you think it will take the average player to complete it (w/o giving any spoilers of course) :-) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

same gamertag as my name here: LOGIK1911. I already have a day 1 partner but feel free to join me anytime later this week. I recommend you start off on single player to get really used to the game

I'm an average gamer and I made it pretty far in about 6 hours of nonstop playing. Once you die a few times you learn what NOT to do quick! Also, my style is more what Max Beland intended. if you're a ghoster who likes to prepare and study patrol routes this becomes a 10 hour game easy.

I moreso look at the map, study everyone's position, and figure out a way to take them out as sneaky, quickly, and brutally as possible. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Don't worry about the length, though. The intensity will pretty much drain you the first time and there's alot of bang for your buck. Once you know what to expect than you can do really fast run throughs.

logik1911
04-11-2010, 10:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iSplinter:
From the demo gameplay that I've had Realistic seems the only way to go. Normal is way to easy but Realistic isn't to hard if you have good tactics. Gonna be great. Sounds like an easy 1K though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Forget everything you know about that demo. Erase it from memory. It doesn't even compare. Realistic on the actual game is a whole different beast.

I'm talking about trained mercs taking you down with 2 shots, doing combat rolls, flanking you while they provide cover fire for their buddies, rushing your position as a group to overwhelm you, using grenades to flush you out...it gets really intense. I've played some bad demos in my day, but this one absolutely did not do the final game justice.