PDA

View Full Version : Optimum depth for Hydrophone?

Adlerson
03-19-2005, 12:50 PM
What is the optimum depth for the hydrophone? Periscope depth is of course minimum, but is there any advnatages to diving down deeper when listening for contacts? Does the range you pick them up increase or decrease when you go deeper?

Also, does time compression influence how good your sonar guy operates? I seem to be able to pick up targets just as easy on 16 or 32 times normal speed, but just want to make sure.

Cheers,
Addy

Captain_David
03-19-2005, 12:54 PM
There are no really optimum depth. It depends on the water, the depth of your contact, and depth.
But anything from 20-200m is ok.
When you use time compression the whole world speeds up, your crew to.

KiwiVenge
03-19-2005, 01:11 PM
Just hope he is doing a good job!
Is there a sonar specialty? I only seem to see guys with a "Radio" specialty.

Adlerson
03-19-2005, 01:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>But anything from 20-200m is ok. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Does this mean that periscope depth (About 10-12m, no?) is too shallow to get the best effect?

Cheers,
Addy

Copyoffline
03-19-2005, 01:33 PM
Im not sure about that but id say PD is your best bet. Historicaly youd get wrong numbers if there is a thermal layer between you and the target. Im not sure if thats in SH3

flyinj
03-19-2005, 01:49 PM
Personally, I use the hydrophone on the surface with engines off. It seems to work fine... I can hear distant contacts pretty well.

Charos
03-19-2005, 02:01 PM
From memory about 25M depth was used in Real life.

You want to be deep enough to cut out surface Churn masking faint contacts.

Copyoffline
03-19-2005, 02:51 PM
i doubt you can use hydrophone when surfaced. Well at least my boat is using the advanced version of hydrophone (i dont remember how its called). Its placed on the deck so when youre surfaced its not in the water and you can hear nothing.

JakeD2005
03-19-2005, 03:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Copyoffline:
i doubt you can use hydrophone when surfaced. Well at least my boat is using the advanced version of hydrophone (i dont remember how its called). Its placed on the deck so when youre surfaced its not in the water and you can hear nothing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But no one said you should or can do it on the surface... making this a random post http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Frederf220
03-19-2005, 03:30 PM
I've gotten sonar contacts in my IIA surfaced all stop hydrophones (not the SO, I did it manually. the SO is deaf).

I thought I noticed background noise decrease when I do it at 19 meters, but I don't know if my range is increased. Furthermore, I have no idea what range to expect, 10km, 30km, 100km?

flyinj
03-19-2005, 03:36 PM
I've found contacts on the surface using the 1941 improved hydrophone on my VII. These contacts sometimes turned out to be 2-4km away.

I'm sure the performance would be better if I submerged, but usually I'm just chasing a radar contact and know it's general area... so the surface background noise doesn't cover up it's signature.

Charos
03-19-2005, 03:36 PM
Single contacts should be about 20KM and Convoys 100KM. But it really should vary depending on weather conditions and Ocean conditions.

Yes apparetly all the SO in SH3 require hearing aids, its one thing to not be able to identify a target its another thing to not hear and report a contact.