PDA

View Full Version : best video card

danielguerraa
07-18-2006, 07:02 PM
you guys no your stuff so ill ask you
what is THE BEST video card out there today?

danielguerraa
07-18-2006, 07:02 PM
you guys no your stuff so ill ask you
what is THE BEST video card out there today?

Judge_Recluse
07-18-2006, 07:48 PM
Nvidia 7950 something or other. Expensive, but nice.

JuDaH_SainT
07-18-2006, 09:57 PM
definately what judge recluse said, nvivida 7950, , its basically 2 7900 running in sli for those who do not have a sli motherboard. card freaking kicks, no benchmark has beat it, Ati has good cards but is really lacking with their crossfire right now., but who knows what they will do, i mean look at amd and intel, AMD has owned for a long time until now!!!! intel has taken the lead with cpu and not just by a little either, their conroes freaking rock!!!, so im just waiting to c what amd has up their sleeve for first of the year!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

PotatoChips
07-19-2006, 05:52 AM
geforce 7950, best performing single slotter atm and to add to the cake its actually cheaper than ati's x1900xtx in some places.

DthDealer71
07-19-2006, 06:52 AM
Well first and foremost whats your budget?

IF it's between $100-$200 Us dollars then you can go many different ways.

I am personally a ATI guy.

But hey we all have our likes and dislikes.
DD

intelfactor
07-19-2006, 07:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JuDaH_SainT:
definately what judge recluse said, nvivida 7950, , its basically 2 7900 running in sli for those who do not have a sli motherboard. card freaking kicks, no benchmark has beat it, Ati has good cards but is really lacking with their crossfire right now., but who knows what they will do, i mean look at amd and intel, AMD has owned for a long time until now!!!! intel has taken the lead with cpu and not just by a little either, their conroes freaking rock!!!, so im just waiting to c what amd has up their sleeve for first of the year!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Intel has really impressed me on their advantage over AMD recently. However, the performances are relatively marginal. Gamespot ran game tests and there was only about 10-15 fps differences in Prey, F.E.A.R, and some other games I couldn't recall. I am really impressed on the $500 dollar range Intel Core duo 2 that has the same performance as the AMD FX-60. Now that is a huge surprise. We would have to see what AMD has up their sleeves because they are yet to release their new line of processors, which might be something to look forward to.

Nfektid
07-19-2006, 07:35 AM
It is quite a surprise that Intel has a slight advantage over AMD, but far from major IMO. So it's really nothing to celebrate. Wait until AMD release their new line of processors. Oh and gamespot only used performance results from the FX-60 and not FX-62. Check the link below.

Intel/AMD comparisons (http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTEwOCwzLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==)

Conclusions (http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTEwOCwxMSwsaGVudGh1c2lhc3Q=)

DthDealer71
07-19-2006, 07:41 AM
Thats all fine and dandy if you have that kind of money to blow.

But seeing most people dont there's no since in talking about it, we have to see what his budget is.

How did this go from VGA cards to cpu's?
DD

DthDealer71
07-19-2006, 07:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nfektid:
It is quite a surprise that Intel has a slight advantage over AMD, but far from major IMO. So it's really nothing to celebrate. Wait until AMD release their new line of processors. Oh and gamespot only used performance results from the FX-60 and not FX-62. Check the link below

Intel/AMD comparisons (http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTEwOCwzLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==)

Conclusions (http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTEwOCwxMSwsaGVudGh1c2lhc3Q=) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They constantly go back and forth when releasing new products.

AMD is still the gamers choice, well I think so. And it's still my choice.

Intel is better at apps and that has been proven.

AMD doesnt get as much attention as Intel because intel is the preferred cpu to the junk pc dealers, ie, DELL/HP.

Give me AMD anyday.....

NNDoc
07-19-2006, 09:29 AM
I have a x1900XTX and it runs GRAW with no lag and graphics are awesome.

www.ClanNN.com (http://www.ClanNN.com)

PotatoChips
07-19-2006, 11:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DthDealer71:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

not with conroe around, amd no longer holds the performance lead with its fx line. we've all seen the benchies, synthetic and actual game performance show a mid range 300$+ c2d thrash a 1k+ fx62.

right now the only people who would buy amd processors for gaming over intel's c2d are the fanboi's, people who dont mind spending more for less, those who dont know better or those who cant wait for c2d's to begin mass shipping.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But seeing most people dont there's no since in talking about it, we have to see what his budget is.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no we dont have to see what his budget is, he simply asked whats the best video card out there today and from a performance standpoint, nvidia's 7950 is king.

DthDealer71
07-19-2006, 11:52 AM
While you may be right about the CPU, you cant always assume that someone can throw $600 at a VGA card.

I know I cant, and dont want to, there are other important things in my life.

Stating who is king though he can google it or check out the Nvidia/ATI line of VGA cards of there respective website. Thats why they are there.

I guess we will find out when he/she posts back.

And no I am not a AMD fanboy. And while you could be right(for the moment) that could change in a couple months, as it always does.

Same goes for the graphics card's, one month ATI is up another it's Nvidia.

If your the type who play's that kinda line and buys the latest and greatest when it hits the markets then good for you, I hope you have the wallet for it.

Otherwise we shall see....
DD

Cirap
07-19-2006, 11:56 AM
ATi will soon release their Radeon X1950XTX. it won't be as fast as the GeForce 7950, but it'll be a lot cheaper, and about 7-9% faster than the X1900XTX (which is ATi's fastest card to day)

bsrredcobra1974
07-19-2006, 11:58 AM
i have a 6800 gt 256 nvidia and it runs graw fine.....wait for the 8000 series nvidia if u can

DthDealer71
07-19-2006, 12:07 PM
6800GT is a nice card. But does it only have 8 or 12 pipelines?

If anything, unless you going to buy the best get at least 12-16 pipe lines VGA card minimal.

Otherwise your going backwards...
DD

sl0ppy_sec0nds
07-19-2006, 12:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PotatoChips:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DthDealer71:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

not with conroe around, amd no longer holds the performance lead with its fx line. we've all seen the benchies, synthetic and actual game performance show a mid range 300$+ c2d thrash a 1k+ fx62.

right now the only people who would buy amd processors for gaming over intel's c2d are the fanboi's, people who dont mind spending more for less, those who dont know better or those who cant wait for c2d's to begin mass shipping.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They are neck in neck and conroes performance decrease dramatically in graphic intensive gaming; not as stable as the AMDs. Besides, AMD is going to cut their prices in half. Thereafter, they will release their new line of AMD processors which would most likely surpass Intel again as usual. While it's nice to see Intel finally focus on game performance, they are about a several years late. When the new AMDS release, history will repeat itself again. AMD will come on top for years to come. Till then, my fx-60 processor will keep me happy.

RLCSeMPeRFi
07-19-2006, 06:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">what is THE BEST video card out there today? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nvidia 7950 GX2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150160

PotatoChips
07-19-2006, 08:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sl0ppy_sec0nds:
They are neck in neck and conroes performance decrease dramatically in graphic intensive gaming; not as stable as the AMDs. Besides, AMD is going to cut their prices in half. Thereafter, they will release their new line of AMD processors which would most likely surpass Intel again as usual. While it's nice to see Intel finally focus on game performance, they are about a several years late. When the new AMDS release, history will repeat itself again. AMD will come on top for years to come. Till then, my fx-60 processor will keep me happy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=6184&page=7

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2795&p=1

it aint neck in neck when a 300$ cpu surpasses a 1000$

cut the prices in half for amd processors and the low end x2 3800 will only come in 20-30$ less than intel's e6300 which performs just under that of amd's fx60 and fx62.

iirc amd's next line is the k8l which is simply shifting from 90nm to 65nm while maintaining the same architecture right? their am3 processors arent expected till late 08 or 09? intel has already announced kentsfield's launch in mid 07(iirc).

sl0ppy_sec0nds
07-19-2006, 09:13 PM
Try 2007

DthDealer71
07-20-2006, 06:30 AM
I think Mr. Sloppy is right about AMD, for gaming(and thats what we all here do) AMD's have consistantly done the best.

Now if Intel has FINALLY gotten their act right and prices are that low WITH decent game perfomance then maybe PotatoeChips is right.

BUT, it is only for a short lived time, as they always go back and forth.

I guess we shall see anyways....

JuDaH_SainT
07-20-2006, 06:59 AM
we all know amd will do something, but it isnt gonna happen till next year sometime!! intel has finnally stepped up to the plate to play ball instead of sit on the sidelines. i mean look at this cpu ( http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=107481 )

nice overclocking capabilites conroes has, weeeeeeee
intel vs conroe, is the biggest point, amd has had the lead big time, so its good to see some competition, with competition we see better things come quicker, amd for sure has something great, but intel does to with its kenfield quadcores! just exciting to c what the future holds,

DthDealer71
07-20-2006, 07:08 AM
Quadcore..... When will it stop, LOL.

Muhad
07-20-2006, 02:22 PM
The one that has not been created yet!

NNDoc
07-20-2006, 03:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bsrredcobra1974:
this avatar has been banned at ghost recon.net....guess they are homophobic and dont like lesbians. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is the best avatar in the world, lmao!!!!

RANGERB1951
07-20-2006, 04:28 PM
WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT THE X1600PRO....

PotatoChips
07-20-2006, 08:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RANGERB1951:
WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT THE X1600PRO.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

costs as much as a geforce 7600gt, doesnt perform anywhere near the 7600gt.

if you're looking for a mid-low range card this review http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=1&artpage=1771&articID=432 may help you with your choice.

NNDoc
07-21-2006, 09:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RANGERB1951:

Piece of poop! Get the x1800XT for a low end ATi. If you have the cash, spring for the x1900XTX you will not be disappointed.

PotatoChips
07-22-2006, 04:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NNDoc:

Piece of poop! Get the x1800XT for a low end ATi. If you have the cash, spring for the x1900XTX you will not be disappointed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if you have the cash for a x1900xtx get a 7950gx2...

CronicJoeBlunt
01-28-2007, 06:00 AM
Nvidia cards are the most user friendly but ATI cards can perform very well once you work out the bugs cause by certain ati driver versions

ColinCJ
01-28-2007, 07:39 AM
3 D Guru The Verdict

Alrighty, now we have tested a good number of GeForce 8800 cards already. This was the first 8800 GTX with a default overclock. Granted is does give you a little extra bang for your bucks, but the temperatures are a little worrying. When you utilize the GPU 100% during gaming the temperature in our case rose over 80 degrees C, that's quite extensive. You can easily compensate for that by allowing the fan to rotate a little faster (use Rivatuner) but with such temperatures I do not see this card getting much older than 5 years if you use it on a regular basis.

Now other then that this the 8800 GTX rocks. It's a frighteningly fast performer that'll run any game to date with the best ever image quality settings. You can now play games with 16 levels of anisotropic filtering and 16x anitaliasing enabled (if supported). How cool is that ? Framerates will fly sky-high over your screen at any resolution while the 8800 in your PC is screaming at you "is that all you can feed me ?" Yes the 8800 GTX is a very lovely card to own. A card of this caliber comes at a price though. Spending 600 bucks on a computer component just to play games is for a very small audience only. Interestingly enough, it's a large part of the Guru3D.com audience.

We still need to learn though how well the card will perform with DirectX 10 and while Windows Vista has not yet released to retail (consumer), in the OEM business & developer segment there are already many people that have it in there possession. Despite the fact that Vista has not gone retail for the consumers, we can't deny that it's already released for a large number of users. Why am I saying this ? Because at this very moment Vista driver support from NVIDIA is really dreadful as there is no official driver.

But back to the XFX product review, the GeForce 8800 GTX XXX edition. The 8800 GTX obviously will eat anything you throw at it and then shout "dude is that all?" Framerates are flying which means you can enable heaps of eye candy. You start playing your games with a monitor that supports 1600x1200 and then enable 4xAA and 16xAF. I have been playing Prey for a while at a resolution of 2560x1600 (and that's 500% more pixels over 1024x768!) at 56 frames per second with every possible setting in the game set to HIGH.

I have this card and yes its great.

CloudWOmega
01-28-2007, 01:08 PM
i think crossfires better

CIAShadow
01-30-2007, 05:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CloudWOmega:
i think crossfires better </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Basic GeForce 8800 GTX Specs...

* Unified Shader Architecture
* Support FP16 HDR+MSAA
* Support GDDR4 memories
* Close to 700M transistors (G71 - 278M / G70 - 302M)
* New AA mode : VCAA
* Core clock scalable up to 1.5GHz
* Shader Peformance : 2x Pixel / 12x Vertex over G71 (48 pixel and 96 vertex *)
* 8 TCPs & 128 stream processors
* Much more efficient than traditional architecture
* 384-bit memory interface (256-bit+128-bit)
* 768MB memory size (512MB+256MB)
* Two models at launch : GeForce 8800GTX and GeForce 8800GT
* GeForce 8800GTX : 7 TCPs chip, 384-bit memory interface, hybrid water/fan cooler, water cooling for overclocking. US$649
* GeForce 8800GT : 6 TCPs chip, 320-bit (256-bit + 64-bit) memory interface, fan cooler. US$449-499

The advantage the G80 has over the R600 (considering the pixel/vertex ratio = 1) is (96/64)*(1.5/1.0)=2.25. So a single GeForce 8800 GTX can beat 2 R600s in Crossfire. Now just imgaine how much nVidia will own ATI when they release the GX2 version and enable G80 Quad SLI...

http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q4/geforce-8800/index.x?pg=1
http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4007
http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/?id=4984