PDA

View Full Version : Lockups and other frustrations

mattw125
05-05-2008, 08:21 PM
The game lockups are really bizarre. Sometimes they occur at the 'Unreal engine' logo, other times they occur at the loading screen or mid combat. I'm really impressed when a game locks up at the screen where it's touting it's gaming engine.

I could live with an occasional lockup though if the system responded to CTRL-ALT-DEL or ALT-TAB. How about putting the check for system keys in a separate thread so that the system doesn't require a reboot after a lockup?

Another annoyance is the 750 MB dump file that is created whenever the game crashes. What is the point in this? Was this an oversight and should've been taken out of the release build of the program? How about disabling it in the release and have it enabled via a command line switch? Even if this served a useful purpose which editing tool would you use to open a 750 MB file?!??! I wish I could've been in the design meeting when someone brought up this feature so I could've told them what a horrible idea it was.

In the past 30 games I've purchased the only other game to suffer such serious flaws as this was Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter. I'm sorry to rant but bugs like this seem like they can be easily identified during the testing phase and shows lack of interest for customer approval.

mattw125
05-05-2008, 08:21 PM
The game lockups are really bizarre. Sometimes they occur at the 'Unreal engine' logo, other times they occur at the loading screen or mid combat. I'm really impressed when a game locks up at the screen where it's touting it's gaming engine.

I could live with an occasional lockup though if the system responded to CTRL-ALT-DEL or ALT-TAB. How about putting the check for system keys in a separate thread so that the system doesn't require a reboot after a lockup?

Another annoyance is the 750 MB dump file that is created whenever the game crashes. What is the point in this? Was this an oversight and should've been taken out of the release build of the program? How about disabling it in the release and have it enabled via a command line switch? Even if this served a useful purpose which editing tool would you use to open a 750 MB file?!??! I wish I could've been in the design meeting when someone brought up this feature so I could've told them what a horrible idea it was.

In the past 30 games I've purchased the only other game to suffer such serious flaws as this was Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter. I'm sorry to rant but bugs like this seem like they can be easily identified during the testing phase and shows lack of interest for customer approval.

oODmGOo
05-07-2008, 03:00 AM
I havent seen anyone in here getting lockups like yours, just the typical maps that ussually crash on map change in terrorist hunt, and ubi is aware of that. The dump file is old news and has even been broadcast on tech tv :-P
To troubleshoot your crashes though ide make sure you have both the newest beta drivers for your video card and for your pci express controller (or agp). Then make sure you have the latest dx files. Try running 3dmark06 to see if it crashes. I'de try prime95 first though because it sounds to me more ram related. Run it for at least an hour but preferably overnight while you sleep. Google it, its free (assuming you never heard of it).

pleomax30
05-07-2008, 09:41 PM
I'm playing through it for the second time on realistic and i haven't had any crashes.

Can't think why this game would give you problems and not others.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I could live with an occasional lockup though if the system responded to CTRL-ALT-DEL </div></BLOCKQUOTE>This sounds like your computer.

Their has been a couple of times when my men have got stuck though i tell them to follow and they tell me 'negative unable to comply'.

sliceopie
05-07-2008, 11:53 PM
I just finished the game in story mode...I know, BORING...but I don't have time for online, I just pop on and enjoy an hour or so of linear story and go....when it doesn't lock up it's exactly what I wanted; great shooter with pretty good graphics, i have the following:

C2D E6600 2.4
8600GT 512 GPU
Seagate 350 SATA
3 GB RAM

This system has run numerous games in medium to high settings with no issue and great FPS including COD4 and RSV1, I knew that RSV1 had some issues and it ran great on my machine but this game will , FOR NO APPARENT GOOD REASON, just freeze with no option but to hard boot. I can play for 4,5 checkpoints with good FPS and sound and then boom Graphics freeze and i'm out. Over the whole game I think I locked up 6-7 times....THAT SUCKS.

This game is also buggy as he**. I had to reload 2 seperate maps because my team were stuck in an invisible box and "could not comply" to advance an open landscape. Load time sucked also. But i still enjoyed the game overall, it may be the same thing over and over but it's still enjoyable. I just really hope that they fix the crashing issue because that blows! Especially after shelling out 50 smacks ( yeah i bought it on day 1...stupid..)I definately won't be buying any future Ubisoft games until they have some shelf life and work out the kinks first.