PDA

View Full Version : Women in the Gaming World - Your thoughts...

GamingGdess
11-11-2004, 02:09 PM
Hi everyone!

I just wanted to start a new thread here so that we may start a civil discussion about your thoughts and views about the potrayal of women in the gaming industry. I know a lot of you have reservations about the way that women are portrayed, and may even see the Frag Dolls in this same light. I would like to condense all that into this one thread. No flaming. Let's have an adult conversation about our reasons for thinking the way we do about this very important topic!

First off, I will state that I am a female gamer. I am 25 years old and have been working in the MMORPG community for many years. I would like to start off this discussion by pointing out a comment that our friend Geekinsurgent posted in another thread.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not a bitter man-hater, overweight, or unfeminine.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The pure fact that you felt you had to include this in here, in my belief, is the reason hot gamer girls make sure others know they are hot gamer girls. For the longest time, we got ridiculed.. and told that we were either men, or lesbians if we stated we were female. Being proud to be beautiful, and to play video games is not a crime. I think that these women are just trying to prove that pretty girls can play too. It's a stereotype that MANY people have of Gaming GIrls being homely and dorky. Just as with any stereotype.. there will always be the extreme coming out to fight against it.

I too am 25 years old.. and a HUGE MMORPG Gamer. And I am proud to say that I am a beautiful female gamer. I really don't see the harm in it. I don't think it is degrating at all. It's no more degrating than watching your every day TV show and seeing only beautiful people there. It's the way our society is...
/shrug I mean.. What do you think of my statement?

Please, I am very interested to know what your thought process is. Why is this bothersome to you? How do you feel it can be changed? How would you look to market video games to women?

I greatly look forward to your responses everyone!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

BCA
11-11-2004, 02:45 PM
1. No flaming is going to be a longshot since people seem to just ****ing fear the FD's because they are hot AND can kick your *** at games. There is no discussion here. We have tried to discuss it and be nice and dandy about it but people couldnt accept that. So now somebody wants to be nice and try to talk to us and support this topic and even befriend somebody who just blatantly attacked the people that this somebody was supposed to be backing. I do not and will NEVER think of the word friend when somebody comes here and does that. You want to know my thought process when that happens? Here it is in steps.

1. I see an attack with an article
2. I try to be nice (this went away when the layer of bull**** I could take went with it)
3. I talk it out (same as #2)
4. I strike back
5. I repeat because people are ****ing ignorant and seem to think that saying No Flaming and wanting to have a nice discussion when its already been tried and failed.

Read the other topics and tell me what your odds are on this one. To actualy call somebody who takes a shot at the Fragdolls (and a very clear one at that) "Friend" and try to give them a way out isnt what I call helping them. I know I am an extremeist on this topic, but sometimes thats what it takes ****it. Now I could say this is my opinion and I mean no harm by it but I dont think you would take that into consideration when writing a response so by all means go ahead and fire back. I will NEVER stop in this "war" we have here that was brought TO us by OTHERS who keep coming. As long as they come, I will be here waiting... and you have just givin them a path to call it "Discussion" and make doing this harder for us.

GamingGdess
11-11-2004, 02:51 PM
Hey Sniper,

Thanks for your post. Wow.. you are very passionate about this topic! I really appreciate that passion. I am sorry you misread the use of my term "friend". I have a tendancy to use that about anyone I am being civil to. I'm always curious as to WHY people feel so strongly about certain matters. This is why I offered the white flag to find out the answer. I was hoping that discussing both sides, without going nuts and just saying YOU ARE WRONG, might lead to some opening of eyes.

I will not lash back at you. As I posted before, I too support the frag dolls. I mean heck, my very first thread on this board was "How can I join up!?" lol. I just think that civil discussions are a good way to learn about why people are so strongly oppossed or FOR them.

On that note, I see why you are very angry with those who oppose them. What are your reasons for backing them so strongly? I'm very curious to know. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Thank you again for your post!

BCA
11-11-2004, 03:02 PM
Why do I fight back so strongly? I am triyng to find a way to post this without going off the deep end and showing you that what you call passion is what I call Bloodlust. I fight back strongly because I see these girls going out and working and going to school and being JUST like us and then I see some sorry *** mother ****ers come in here and try to trash them down to a lower level because all they see is the side that plays games. They dont care whether they would have a ****ing job or not. All they want to do is come in here and try to establish a dominant role like the *****s that they are. I see this as a war, and I do not let up in war until I take it from my or my allies back yard and shove it through you god **** front door. There are few who step in this war that EVER come back. I have done this befor and I WILL do it again because as I have stated befor (and this goes for Me, Vision, and Steel.) an attack on the Frag Dolls is an attack on us who support them and we will take it to heart and we will not back down. Friendly discussion or not, whether it be just us 3 or not me, vision, and steel will be the driving force behind the fragdolls in this war and we will NOT give up.

Seraph_song
11-11-2004, 03:03 PM
i think society has a warp'd sense of value... i believe placing physical attractiveness above character strengths is incredibly faulty. i'm guilty of it too, to a point, but will give the person's character a chance to manifest before i base an opinion. a quick wit and sharp tounge will pretty much win me over everytime. i do think any change in society begins individually...

... and yes i do have a big chip on my shoulder, both of em. ^^

GamingGdess
11-11-2004, 03:10 PM
Thank you both again for your responses.

Again, Sniper, I do not disagree with you. I believe these girls are very very strong and doing an amazing job. I would give anything to be in their shoes.. and I do feel that some of the people who flame them do not fully understand their (or Ubi's) intentions.

But, that is why I want to open this forum to find that out. I always feel there is a deeper reason behind things. Understand where I'm coming from here? It's not that I don't support the girls. I would rather find out where the misconceptions lie and help try to change them civily then just wage an all out war. I guess that's the difference. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Just tactics.

Let me ask you this Seraph_Song, How would you market to women in gaming? How would you showcase the things that you say are the values you look for in a person? I mean, if we think about it.. things DO have to get marketed. I'm curious to see how you would do it.

BCA
11-11-2004, 03:37 PM
I can see now that you mean no harm... but after a few other topics I have been forced into this position and must have people explain themselves. I guess its just an aggressor role I have subliminaly taken up.

Oh and its Boo or BCA. Sniper Hell is just my Sig for now hehe.

GamingGdess
11-11-2004, 03:41 PM
No problem boo. No hard feelings at all! I can understand how all those other threads have put you on the defensive. I've been in your shoes before as well! I've just come to realize that many times, I jump to conclusions before finding out the truths behind people's opinions.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I hope you continue to open your mind to learning more about why people feel so strongly about what they feel. And I look forward to furthur discussion.

BCA
11-11-2004, 03:48 PM
Godess you can be the calm befor the storm with words... but I cant stop what my instinct tells me. You can use your words but I will always be watching, and if things go to far... well then they have had the calm, now its time for the storm.

BCA
11-11-2004, 08:41 PM
Heh, this topic is is about as active as visions thought process (ya slow bastard vision http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif). Maybe once the girls get back this will pick up a little bit. It just seems so different w/o them here ya know.

GoliathBK
11-12-2004, 08:14 AM
I think that one of the problems with this topic is that people always compare themselves to public figures to see if they match up physically and mentally. Society works in a way that people will always want to see if they as hot or as talented as someone else instead of developping their own personality. The Fragdolls being attractive or not to some people is totally subjective.

I guess one thing to consider as well is that women will always be judged on their looks and no matter how talented they are there will always be other women and men accusing them of having success based on their looks.

In conclusion i will say this only. A female gamer is a gamer...a human being. That she be hot or ugly is only based on personnal taste and that varies with individuals, point is it shouldnt be a factor for anything. Good looking male gamers who are good looking and compete in leagues really dont get any hassle, the double standard i feel needs to go.

We are a new generation people, women and men doing the same thing, playing the same games and talking trash when we headshot each other from half way across the maphttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif L'ets talk between gamers and not try to compare our physical dispositions. There's hollywood and vogue for that and thats not us.

Goliath
UBI Game Designer
P.S.: These are purely my personal views and not somesort of UBI statementhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

kimi_
11-12-2004, 08:49 AM
Good to see you i'm not the only one having to make disclaimers when posting opinions http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

MoZ_
11-12-2004, 10:22 AM
bravo, goliath.well said.

BCA
11-12-2004, 10:42 AM
You people and your rational thinking... we must all take up arms and thwart this threat! j/k hehe. I think Goliath wrapped this one up pretty nicely. well put ol' chap, well put indeed.

Seraph_song
11-12-2004, 03:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GamingGdess:
Thank you both again for your responses.Let me ask you this Seraph_Song, How would you market to women in gaming? How would you showcase the things that you say are the values you look for in a person? I mean, if we think about it.. things DO have to get marketed. I'm curious to see how you would do it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

sorry so late: I dont know, i'm not a woman. ^^

Seraph_song
11-12-2004, 03:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GoliathBK:
I think that one of the problems with this topic is that people always compare themselves to public figures to see if they match up physically and mentally. Society works in a way that people will always want to see if they as hot or as talented as someone else instead of developping their own personality. The Fragdolls being attractive or not to some people is totally subjective.

I guess one thing to consider as well is that women will always be judged on their looks and no matter how talented they are there will always be other women and men accusing them of having success based on their looks.

In conclusion i will say this only. A female gamer is a gamer...a human being. That she be hot or ugly is only based on personnal taste and that varies with individuals, point is it shouldnt be a factor for anything. Good looking male gamers who are good looking and compete in leagues really dont get any hassle, the double standard i feel needs to go.

We are a new generation people, women and men doing the same thing, playing the same games and talking trash when we headshot each other from half way across the maphttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif L'ets talk between gamers and not try to compare our physical dispositions. There's hollywood and vogue for that and thats not us.

Goliath
UBI Game Designer
P.S.: These are purely my personal views and not somesort of UBI statementhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

that is a very idealistic view... one that i absolutely agree with, however, it just not that way. corporations will use what it needs to meet the bottom-line. and sex sells '.' (not to take anything away from these ladies.) so i dont think its out of the realm of plausiblility to say that corp. will exploit that. more often then not, if never

p.s. my sig. is kinda long ><

Sultans_Apple
11-12-2004, 07:14 PM
Hey you guys/gals-

First off, I am an average looking, 25 year-old woman. I am a healthy weight, I don't look like a model but I'm not morbidly obese or anything...I have not been gamer all of my life, but since I've started it, I love it. I think it's cool that the Frag Dolls are not afraid to say "We're chick gamers and can whoop your butt and look good doing it", but I want to say that there ARE girls out there who are not "the hottie" or "the fat dork"...in fact, gaming has nothing to do with your appearance. I have known mothers who game, 11 year old girls who game...and trust me, I will be an old lady gamer myself should I live that long. I think the girl gamer stereotype is part of our society and for us to try to say "look we can be hot and game" can, if it's done in a bad way, be just as detrimental to the view of girl gamers as letting people assume we're all overweight nerds. To me, the gaming world is about me living vicariously through my character, whether's Tommy Vercetti in GTA: VC or my warrior in World of Warcraft...I don't have to be anyone when I game, I can just be me, having fun, and my appearance doesn't matter. I have seen girls insulted and abused by male gamers in threads when they post their picture in a forum...and this happened to me recently in the Swordsmen PoP FanPimp site. To me, my appearance is NOT important in gaming. I guess what I'm trying tosay is that there are all types of girl gamers, not just two extremes, and we should all be valued according to who we are,not our appearances. We are chick gamers, here to stay...we can be female and enjoy games and NO ONE has to force us to accept a stereotype, we do that ourselves.

Apple http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BCA
11-12-2004, 08:41 PM
Exactly. If anybody tried to argue with that statement you tell them to show you a game where your face is shown in the game and not some pre-made or custimizable face and features and see what they say. If they are like "well that doesnt matter" well then you give them the finger and be on your merry way because you won and they are complet morons. AND LONG LIVE OLD GAMERS... until we all die of heart attacks lol http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

kimi_
11-13-2004, 01:53 PM
Apple you looked awesome in those pics! Those boys are just dumb! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Sultans_Apple
11-13-2004, 06:45 PM
Thanks Kimi! You're great!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Sometimes I wish there was a severe lack of 12 year-old boy gamers http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

BCA
11-13-2004, 07:41 PM
Would you mind if I asked for a link?

GameinatrixCori
11-13-2004, 08:38 PM
Hi all!

Now you just KNEW I had to toss in my two cents...
I'm 31, a mother, married and have been gaming since..I can't remember NOT gaming. I'm not modelesce, but not hard on the eyes either. I can remember going to EB and having the guys (employees) ask me to stand near the window so that they could pull in customers. Of course I could possibly have taken offense to this, but they also gave me discounts on games and any other little freebies they got tossed their way so I didn't complain. Then I have had the other extreme where when I first got XBL, I got kicked out of a million rooms and literally heard, "Dude, I don't wanna play with no girl."
I actually dress DOWN when going to buy games. Why? Because when I go in the store being the diva that I am, I get hit on, and have stupid conversations with men who think because I'm a woman and I look decent that I must not know about games. (Can you believe some man tried to argue with the Gameinatrix about Rainbow 6?! Then asked for my phone number) I go in the store now, where I'm well known and actually have conversations about GAMES and at least don't get hit on by the guys that work there. (Also they've seen my husband, who's a big muscle bound guy, lol.) That sad part is that I have to kind of not be me to get respect.
So to those of you who are mad at the Frag Dolls because they are so beautiful, what would you have them do? Why should any woman, beautiful or otherwise not be herself because it bothers some? I say to those who have a problem with beautiful women gaming, get over it!
I support the Frag Dolls, not because they are beautiful, I do it inspite of it. Since I'm not gay, I could care less how they look, but they are a sweet bunch and came game their asses off. I look at them and think there is hope for women in the gaming community. When the day comes that I apply for a job as a Game Designer somewhere, I will feel just a little more at ease because of entities like the FDs I know that someone somewhere takes me seriously and doesn't think "She's just a girl, what does she know?" or something to that stupid affect.
As I've said before, it's bad enough to get bad mouthed by men who think because we're girls we don't belong, but having other women do it, is just...the worst thing ever to me.
I cannot tell you how much I swell with pride when I hear things like the FDs winning a competition or that the lead designer on the Playboy game is indeed a woman.
I hate this boys club attitude with gaming and in the gaming community. I've said this before and I will say it again. All rules that apply to things like football etc. do not apply here. Gaming is a level playing field. There is no male advantage here. The guy is not faster than the girl playing, the girl is not better at it because she's cute. So these fears and this ignorance is unfounded.
I don't get this treatment from all men, but it still happens enough. Even last night while playing Halo, me and the news editor at my site heard one of the guys tell the only guy on our team that he'd have to try to win with all girls on his team. Needless to say we trounced their a**es, and I'm no Frag Doll, but that made me just mad enough to play better, lol.
It's ridiculous to have that type of attitude in the year 2004, but we do..and in that respect..yes Boo. It is all out war and I got your back on the battle field.
Now, I must go...this rant is taking away from my BO3 time.

/end rant

Majora13
11-13-2004, 10:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I hate this boys club attitude with gaming and in the gaming community. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But the fact is, most game devolopers are male and most gamers are male, and the devolopers are going to make games that will appeal to the largest possible audience, and therfore make them the largest possible profit. It's a vicous cycle, companies don't make games for women becuase women don't play game, and women don't play games becuase companies don't make games for women.

Now, about female gamers getting harrased online... That is of course terrible. What I fear the most is that women will make all girl servers and gaming will become like sports, with the mens league, and the womens league.

Really the problem is all through our society, and I don't think this additude will change in gaming unless it changes elsewhere also.

PS: I'm a big time trash talker, and I will use your race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age and anything else I know about you to make you feel like **** if your playing against me online . I may be an *******, but I'm not sexist or racist. I just like trash talking. Sometimes I think women are a little to defensive... If a chick calls me a d*ck I would prolly luagh it off, but if I call a chick a c*nt it turns into a civil rights issue. I'm NOT saying sexual discrimination is Ok, but sometimes I think ppl read more then is intended into an angry outbursts online.

PSS: I realize I'm prolly gonna get my *** flamed to hell for that...

Frag_Hag
11-13-2004, 10:10 PM
Haha! The being hit on at the games store thing is familiar though I have a story of it being the opposite. I was after the last Neverwinter Nights expansion (I forget the name of it offhand) for my husband and the guy there was clearly a big fan and seemed treelessly excited that a (not unattractive, though not to everybody's taste) girl was buying it and he launched into a big rant and attempted to engage me in conversation about it. I felt so bad bursting his bubble and telling him that I wasn't a fan of RPGs and prefer FPSs and that I was buying NWN for my husband.

BCA
11-13-2004, 10:48 PM
Majora did you know that Final Fantasy X-2's main focus was, is, and will always be female gamers. They made it for the girls plain and simple. Now guys did like it also but for a Final Fantasy to be made to focus on the female population of gamers should show you that not only are developers seeing this but also capitalizing on the growing number of female gamers. Games are not being made for just men anymore and women are probably thought about in almost all game productions now (it may seem unlikely but I will be willing to bet female gamers crossed the minds of even some of Rock Star devs). The thing about the mens and womens league is more than likely not going to happen... ever... because whether you want to accept it or not (and this goes out to all men) there are a lot of guys online that wont put up with **** like that. Your PS should get you flamed but I will leave that to whoever deems you worthy of the time and overlooks the fact that it makes you look like an *** already but what can ya do? More than likely acting like that online means you will be spending very little time with us on games but I am not here to change you because I am not your mother http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif. Women gamers are rising whether you know or like it or not and there are plenty of people who see it and are already making their moves to gain off it. The world of gaming is changing and men are going to have to move their asses to keep up.

GameinatrixCori
11-13-2004, 10:49 PM
I'm not going to flame you, but I will tell you to check your stats on the women gamers thing. There are more women gamers than there are men now.
But the devs thing is right, but there are those of us who are working to change that.
As for trash talk, I talk it with the best of them, but instead of getting it back, I usually get a group of guys who apologize for shooting me, what the hell is that?!
As for women being sensitive, I would hope that you wouldn't call someone you didn't know a c*nt. If you and I played together a lot and I know that's just the way you talk and we have an understanding...I don't take offense to it.
The problem with what you just said is that most people assume you are just like them. The person you're playing with isn't you. I warn guys before they come to play with me that I will talk trash with you. Flirting is ok, but the line is asking for my number or my favorite from little boys.."Hey you sound sexy..how old are you? Where you from?" That results in a headshot and the reply, "That's how old I am B*&^!
The key is to know your limits with people. No, there are certain things you shouldn't say to strangers, neither on or offline. Save THAT kind of trash talk for friends ie people you have been playing with.
But on occasion you find a group that gets personal like that right off the bat. And you'll know immediately if you've said the wrong thing, in which case, be a man, apologize and go on your way. You also have to consider what is socially acceptable when dealing with people online. Again I stress if you wouldn't call the old lady at the Safeway a c**t when buying your groceries, on XBL is not the time to try it out either, with some female you don't know. Also calling someone a d**k nowadays is not all that big a deal when they are even saying it on regular TV. The other isn't, because people don't hear that all the time. I would be taken aback to hear you say that to me, but not if you called me a B***h, because it's the norm to hear it. Hope I'm making sense, I'm reviewing 3 different games at once and playing a quick game of Halo in between, lol. When I'm playing BO3 I always test the waters of who I'm playing with by saying one line.."I don't know which one of you B****hes left this wreckage on the road, but when I catch you..." if I get laughter, I know I'm ok with the group. If I don't...I apologize and move on to the next.
Just know who you're dealing with and it doesn't become an issue. In fact I have a group of guys that I play with and we have a blast playing and we talk so bad to each other that I think even Howard Stern would be embarassed.

GameinatrixCori
11-13-2004, 10:59 PM
One more thing..NCSoft is currently making a game SPECIFICALLY for women. It's for Korean women, but it is for women. I stress the Korean thing because cultural differences makes the game seem a little strange to me. In fact in watching the trailers, I can't make heads or tails of it, BUT I'll just bet Korean women will get a kick out of it or maybe not, lol.

I've heard this, trying to market to women thing before. I don't need you to market to me, just stop pretending like I'm not there. Give me a female character to play opposite Sam Fisher with a concurrent storyline. Or let me be a female soldier in Ghost Recon..oh wait I can be...skip that one, but you follow me. Give me choices. The biggest disappointment in Fable for me was that I couldn't be female. And I didn't understand why this was blatantly ignored, but I'm assuming they had their reasons.
We've also had some really great games come out this year with female leads but they weren't greatly publicized. Why? Well my theory is that most of the larger gamer sites are run by men. I dont' say that they hate women, but unless the woman in the game looks like Blood Rayne or Lara Croft, she usually doesn't get a lot of attention.
I'm currently writing a best games you never played of 2004, and it will consist of 3 of these games.
Beyond Good and Evil (of course)
Joan of Arc (if you have a monster gaming PC and a love of Anime/RTS/RPG you'll love this one)
and Gladius (XBox/Turn based strategy/RPG)
This is why I gripe at other women about us all sticking together instead of downing each other.

GameinatrixCori
11-13-2004, 11:03 PM
>>Haha! The being hit on at the games store thing is familiar though I have a story of it being the opposite. I was after the last Neverwinter Nights expansion (I forget the name of it offhand) for my husband and the guy there was clearly a big fan and seemed treelessly excited that a (not unattractive, though not to everybody's taste) girl was buying it and he launched into a big rant and attempted to engage me in conversation about it. I felt so bad bursting his bubble and telling him that I wasn't a fan of RPGs and prefer FPSs and that I was buying NWN for my husband.

aka Sidra (yes, I am very bored)<<

You just reminded me. When I went to interview some friends here in Houston at Revelation Interactive, one of the Devs after it was over says to me how he was looking for a girl like me, lol. He says I want her to come into the living room with her Victoria Secret on and snuggle up to me, look at the TV and oh MAN is that the new Madden, move over baby! Let me play!
I thought that was cute.

Majora13
11-13-2004, 11:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Women gamers are rising whether you know or like it or not and there are plenty of people who see it and are already making their moves to gain off it. The world of gaming is changing and men are going to have to move their asses to keep up. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hey, where the hell did I say I didn't want women to start playing games? Really I don't care all that much if they do or not. And umm, what are you talking about "Men are going to have to move their asses to keep up"? btw, I do actually know that there are some games intended for girls. I was, um, generalizing.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Majora did you know that Final Fantasy X-2's main focus was, is, and will always be female gamers. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I didn't know that, actually. In fact, the half dressed chicks with bunny ears kind of made me think it was intended for guys, but oh well.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> There are more women gamers than there are men now.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I kind of doubt that. Where did you hear that?
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I usually get a group of guys who apologize for shooting me, what the hell is that?! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Lol, yeah I can kinda see how that could get really annoying. I try to treat women the same as I would treat a guy, in gaming at least. I'm not trying to get a date, I'm trying to get some frags, and I'm trying to get a rise outta ppl http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

Heh, Boo, I sense you are a little touchy on this subject... Perhaps you should stay away from topics like this as they seem to upset you. Just some freindly advice http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

GameinatrixCori
11-13-2004, 11:15 PM
I got that off the news when it was aired months ago. Check around, visit CNN and CBS.com. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

GameinatrixCori
11-13-2004, 11:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
Heh, Boo, I sense you are a little touchy on this subject... Perhaps you should stay away from topics like this as they seem to upset you. Just some freindly advice http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also I imagine she is a bit touchy about it. We all are. Truth is you'll never really understand where we're coming from because you've never been on the womanly receiving end of this. Right now, the fact that we've even got an all girls clan, professionally sponsored no less, is making us feel very vendicated. Like..finally!
No, she shouldn't avoid topics like this because it's important that Developers and the like see just how passionate about this we all are.
It is my observation that when people tell other people things like this, they are feeling a little threatened. Are you? Just curious. And what games do you play? I'd love to talk a little trash to you or show what kind of trash to talk when. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif But not now. I'm sleepy and I have the Xbox logo burned into my hand, from too much play,lol. Night people, argue with you some more in a few hours.

Majora13
11-13-2004, 11:43 PM
Your probably right that I will never really understand what you feel like, but I can appreciate how strongly you feel about it. I don't think there is any call to get upset over this conversation, yet anyway.

Hmmmm.... Do I feel threatened? Idk, I guess it is a possibility. It's kinda like when some newbie kicks your *** in a game that you've owned for longer then they have http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

PS: First person to misinterpret that last comment gets the ****** of the month award.

BCA
11-13-2004, 11:53 PM
Ummmm, I be a guy there buds lol.

Majora13
11-14-2004, 12:06 AM
In that case your feelings on the subject are less understandable, but perhaps all the more commendable.

anyway, Boo, I'm sorry if I offended you. What can I say, I already admitted that I'm an assh*le http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif I do, however, like to think of myself as a fairminded assh*le

BCA
11-14-2004, 12:10 AM
You didnt offend me... hell I almost started to roll on the floor when you 2 thought I was a girl because of how I responded... guess it shows how long I have been doing this hehe. Well ya know... lost my train of thought... dammit... stupid playing halo 2 clan matches and trying to think of a response to this at the same time as giving and taking tactics... BAH!

kimi_
11-14-2004, 12:28 AM
lol Cori, reading your first rant made me think of how the employees in Gamestop treated me tonight. I went in asking for an uber rare game "Gitaroo Man", which is NOT even a "male-ish" type game, and the guy at the counter asked me no less than three times, "This game is for you? You're the one that's going to be playing it?" Can you imagine what he would have thought if I was asking for Doom III or MOH:PA?! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

GameinatrixCori
11-14-2004, 10:29 AM
>>You didnt offend me... hell I almost started to roll on the floor when you 2 thought I was a girl because of how I responded... guess it shows how long I have been doing this hehe. Well ya know... lost my train of thought... dammit... stupid playing halo 2 clan matches and trying to think of a response to this at the same time as giving and taking tactics... BAH!

Sniper Hell
<<

Well I'll make you an honorary girl. But I got a killer tactic for you in Halo. If someone is about to mow you down in a vehicle, never fear, all is not lost. When they near you, jump over them and toss a grenade at them as you fly over. Should do the trick. HAHA muahahaha!!

GameinatrixCori
11-14-2004, 10:32 AM
>>lol Cori, reading your first rant made me think of how the employees in Gamestop treated me tonight. I went in asking for an uber rare game "Gitaroo Man", which is NOT even a "male-ish" type game, and the guy at the counter asked me no less than three times, "This game is for you? You're the one that's going to be playing it?" Can you imagine what he would have thought if I was asking for Doom III or MOH:PA?! <<

Oh I'll go you one better. When I went in and asked the normal guys about Black Arrow when it was released, they turned and asked the new guy because he was the only one who played it. He then turns to me and says..who you buyin in for?
The rest of them when oh no and turned away from him, stepped away from him, and gave him a look. One of them finally told him...um Man..she's buying it for herself and you do NOT want to get her worked up about the girl gamer thing. Just tell her how it is before she kills us. LOL!

DirtyDiva
11-14-2004, 11:09 AM
Honestly, I hate going to gamestores. I know it's their job but I hate being accosted by salespeople in general. I got the snob treatment in NYC when I went to get my Green Xbox. "Are you sure you want that?" I just said, "Nah, I came 30 blocks on my lunch hour just to ask if you had something that I don't really want." DURRRRR.

And majora - NOBODY should use the C-word in jest or otherwise. It's such a derogatory word. And using race is another thing that you should really think twice about. I game with friends all the time and get called b**ch, ho, dirty wh*re and it's ok because they're FRIENDS and I know it's in jest. If a stranger came up to me and said any of those things, they'd be likely to leave with a black eye and a bruised nut sac. You should always know where to draw the line. Trash talking is a part of the game but there's a fine line between it and simple disrespect.

eekers
11-14-2004, 02:15 PM
Well... women, men, we're all the same in the gaming world when it comes right down to it. Either you're a gamer, or you're not. Though I think I've seen more women call themselves gamers when they're not then the guys.

There are killer players on both ends. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif It just takes practice!

BTW: Have you seen the Women in Gaming by PLAY Magazine? It's pretty asstastic. :\ It's like.. OMG THE EVERQUEST GIRL THAT DOESNT DO ANYTHING AT ALL BUT STAND THERE! LETS PRAISE HER. haha dumb. Like every "woman in gaming" in that thing had her boobs showing. I don't know if it's recent but I found it cleaning out the backroom at EB.

Anyway, if you're a girl and you're gaming, just dominate so we can get this **** over with already.

People keep putting us down but we're owning everyone we play in whatever we play. I'm pretty proud of these girls that have played console and rock at it to the max. Switching to PC and giving everyone at a PC tourney a run for their money when you're mainly a console gamer is fantastic.

For those whiners that think normal women in gaming are just there for looks, they just need to drop their haterade and realize that we're some pretty good gamers that also know what hygene is.

I'm soooo rambling. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

eekers
11-14-2004, 02:17 PM
btw i find it funny that c.r.a.p. is sensored. hahaha

pdiep49
11-14-2004, 02:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

they just need to drop their haterade) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eekers...I love that comment, can I use it>

eekers
11-14-2004, 02:23 PM
no...

hahahahahahhahaa

eekers
11-14-2004, 02:24 PM
PSST. I don't really care.

Sultans_Apple
11-14-2004, 02:27 PM
LOL...you know, while we may rag on men and say how they have acted poorly towards us chick gamers, I must also say that alot of girls I know have been completely unsupportive of me as a gamer. I have been asked "why do you waste time doing that?" (the person who asked me this was someone who got her nails done religiously and I all I could think was "Why would I want to see around in a nail palor and waste $35 bucks a pop...isn't THAT a waste of time and money?)...shopping with my female friends, several have rolled their eyes when I say I want to check out the Gamestop. I have had lots of strange looks when I say I am a girl gamer, and when talking to a guy about this, was told that most women just are naturally bad at games, know this, and therefore won't ever play. I have to say, gaming being largely a man's world has to do with alot of women having an attitude that gaming is a waste of time or something just for guys (my argument may be getting circular here). I guess what I'm getting at is that alot of women, in my opinion, have a bad attitude towards gaming (it's unfeminine, it's boring, it's a waste of time, "get a boyfriend you loser"..."stop trying to be interested in something guys are just so they'll talk to you"). Have any of you girls experienced a negative reaction towards your gaming from girls? IMHO I have noticed that it's sometimes the women who act alot more negatively towards girl gamers than the guys do...

Apple http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

pdiep49
11-14-2004, 02:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eekers:
PSST. I don't really care. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're such a kind and generous person, hehe http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

eekers
11-14-2004, 02:37 PM
<3

GameinatrixCori
11-14-2004, 03:19 PM
Yes Apple I experience this all the time, but I tell my girlfriends that THEY are in fact the losers.
I get my nails done and hair, when I said Diva I meant it. In fact there is a shoe store right next to Gamestop. I go buy shoes, then Halo. And the girlfriends I have that don't game, I very openly call them "those OTHER girls" and tell them why I call them so. I tell them I have substance and you're just for show, lol!
Also my friends children, LOVE me and think I'm the coolest ever. So that usually makes them feel bad. And the ones that don't have kids their boyfriends/husbands also think I'm cool. It's all in the way you spin things. I make them feel UNcool for not gaming. Works like a charm too, I've actually got a few of them "trying" to play now.
It's just that women have been told that certain things aren't for them and that we have to be mature all the time. Maturity is all about wrinkles and worry to be honest. I game and I look, feel and act younger because of it. Save the maturity for work ladies! Game, be young, and enjoy it! I sound like commercial don't I? lol.

Seraph_song
11-14-2004, 03:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Majora13:PS: I'm a big time trash talker, and I will use your race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age and anything else I know about you to make you feel like **** if your playing against me online . I may be an *******, but I'm not sexist or racist. I just like trash talking. Sometimes I think women are a little to defensive... If a chick calls me a d*ck I would prolly luagh it off, but if I call a chick a c*nt it turns into a civil rights issue. I'm NOT saying sexual discrimination is Ok, but sometimes I think ppl read more then is intended into an angry outbursts online.

PSS: I realize I'm prolly gonna get my *** flamed to hell for that... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lmao copter! i already like u

eekers
11-14-2004, 03:44 PM
lolerskatez

Jesterslore
11-14-2004, 03:49 PM
The "Gaming world" was never ruled by men anyways...they are just games, anyone can play them

What makes someone good at a game is their reflexes and wits....and i have seen quite a few women that on their worst day/half asleep/with a migraine could out-think most men with little trouble...and for the most part, reflexes can be honed...

so in all i welcome the lady-gamers, as long as you play to have fun i could care less what gender you are

(i wouldnt mind getting rid of all the "gamers" that are just out there to cheat, play unfairly, or call people noobs as a whole...suddenly the online games would be so much more fun and competitive)

I play America's Army: Special Forces for the PC mostly, also some time in tribes, CS, CoD, BF1942 and a few others...been doing 16 player halo since the day it came out...mmm sniping

Lord Jester

Seraph_song
11-14-2004, 03:49 PM
maturity is about doing the things u want and not givin' a c.r.a.p about wut anybody thinks.

GameinatrixCori
11-14-2004, 07:42 PM
>>been doing 16 player halo since the day it came out...mmm sniping<<

I love sniping too! Especially since I found out that that is my strength. I just need a little more sniping practice though..anybody wanna be my target?

Seraph_song
11-14-2004, 07:48 PM
i would love to.... seraphimzero is my tag but ill warn ya... i suck badly

GameinatrixCori
11-14-2004, 07:50 PM
>>maturity is about doing the things u want and not givin' a c.r.a.p about wut anybody thinks.<<

Actually Seraph, that's not true. It is and it isn't. Maturity is about not caring about what people THINK about you, but it doesn't mean to degrade people in the process. Not saying that you are, but I think we should be clear on this for our younger viewers.
Because a lot of them are already doing what they want and not caring and thinking that's mature. If you're going to say off color things then you have to be mature enough to suffer any possible consequence that may follow. If you're going to call a woman a C**t then be ready for what follows and be big enough to apologize if you need to.

Seraph_song
11-14-2004, 07:58 PM
i thought that was responsibility

Seraph_song
11-14-2004, 08:01 PM
amendment: btw i may just be wrong, it wouldnt be the first time and im still young enough to continue learning. i only meant as u get older, values will change... i personally believe its lies with personal experience (wisdom). as u mature things that u thought were so important really werent. but acting rashly and with out regard of other would be: irresponsible. but as i said i really dont know, thats just how i see it and i could be definitely wrong

eekers
11-14-2004, 08:12 PM
Hmm... this isn't a hard topic. Just respect one another.

To sum it up, it's just like Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure said.

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes!"

^_^ Gamers are gamers!

Majora13
11-14-2004, 08:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If you're going to say off color things then you have to be mature enough to suffer any possible consequence that may follow. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Heh, the problem with that is that there are practically no consequences when playing online...
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Maturity is about not caring about what people THINK about you, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I dissagree with that, but if it is true then that would make me one very mature person! I am one antisocial motherf*cker. Though actually, I do care alot about what my close freinds and even sometimes my family, think about me. If I found out my freinds didn't like I would be very depressed. Emmmm, I'm pretty sure I'm misunderstanding you though, so whatever.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> And majora - NOBODY should use the C-word in jest or otherwise. It's such a derogatory word. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Theres no such thing as a bad word, just mean people, who can use any word in the english language to hurt other people. I used to not use certain words, cuase I was afraid I would offend somebody. Ya know, words like nigg@. Anyways, then I decided I didn't really care, as the only people I would be offending would be overly-sensetive dudes anyway. I HATE overly-sensitive people, and I hope I DO offend them.

Note: I never claimed to be mature.

GamingGdess
11-15-2004, 09:04 AM
Wow.. I go away for a few days and BAM!!!! It's like Emeril in the house!

I agree I agree I agree!! With everyone! lol. I walk into a gaming store and I get followed around like Mary and her sheep.

I don't have a "gamer look" and boys still go NUTZ when I tell them I game. Oh, here is a funny one for you; I was in Best Buy picking up an Xbox and Fable when it came out (as well as adapters for my projector). This guy next to me, and his friend, asked if I was buying that for my boyfriend. I turned and said, "actually, no.. I'm buying it for me. Xbox is the last addition to my collection. I already have PS2, Nintendo, Game boy Advance, Game Cube, 64, Genesis, atari, commodore 64 (yes!! I still have these!!), and of course my computer." The guys just looked at me with drool coming off their mouths. Then, one of them said "Oh, will you be my best friend? You can come over and play all your games on my 54" tv!!" He said this as if it was suppose to impress me. I replied "Oh, that is sooo sweet of you!! But, I"ll be too busy playing on my 96" projection theater screen. Maybe we can play online together though"

You should have SEEN their faces.....

Another funny story is when I was at E3 this past year. I work for a video game company myself, and I was there manning the booth. This guy came in and was looking around. I asked if I could help him. He was rather rude and just kinda looked over my shoulder. I asked again. He said "No, you can't, I'm looking for someone I"m suppose to be meeting who actually WORKS for the company. Not a booth babe." I giggled and said "Are you here to see the marketing girl?" he nodded. So, I held my hand out and introduced myself as just that... the marketing girl.. which I am. Needless to say, he turned BEAT red!!

One of these days.. people will get it. Hot girls, Ugly girls, Thin girls, Fat girls... we're girls... that's it.. and we play games too!

Vanthem79
11-15-2004, 09:05 AM
"Women in the Gaming World."

I'm against it! Now get yer purty little selves back to the kichin! Y'hear?!

DirtyDiva
11-15-2004, 09:44 AM
Sure, I'll go make you a nice bowl of "pee" soup. It's nice and buttery, or so I hear.

As for majora, it's one thing to be immature. It's another to be ignorant. And there is nothing over-sensitive about not appreciating certain language. Most people get online to game, not to listen to some kid spew words just because he thinks he's got nothing to lose. It's really too bad you have such a cynical outlook on things.

Vanthem79
11-15-2004, 09:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>it's one thing to be immature. It's another to be ignorant. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Good luck gettin' through on that one, Diva.

DirtyDiva
11-15-2004, 09:53 AM
I know, I know :: cries ::

BCA
11-15-2004, 10:05 AM
Yea but the statement as a whole has a good point that ya know the little kids and just plain *******s on games ruin it for the majority of the online community and really arent wanted. If they want to talk **** just so they can feel big... mute the mic first please.

Vision2279
11-15-2004, 10:19 AM
That's why it's nice to be able to go into your options and mute those people out or just kick them entirely. Usually I'm playing on other servers so I can't do it, but if it were my server I wouldn't hesitate to boot them cause I just don't have time for that piddly ****.

kimi_
11-15-2004, 01:19 PM
That's why it's nice to play on the PC where you can choose whether or not you even want to have voice at all http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Valkyrie FD
11-15-2004, 06:09 PM
I just have to say that I completly agree with you ladies and want to use a little story that happend at NY so you can see my take.

We are standing outsite The W where we were staying, and this guys comes up and asks us "Are you Models". My instant reaction before I could even think was to scream in disgust "WHAT!!!"

Now this would normally be taken as a compliment to any female, and rightfully so. It is just that I am so adament that I do not want to be constrewed as a "booth babe" (in the famous words of Jerry Seinfeld "Not that there is anything wrong with that.") that I was immediatly defensive.

This guy didn't even know we were gamers and I immediatly relized that I was completly out of line. It is just so fricking hard to balance being angry that people think you have to be fat and ugly if you are playing games online and people thinking you are too cute to be a gamer when they meet you. WHAT IS UP WITH THAT!! I don't what to do, but I know I am very sensitive to these sterotypes.

GameinatrixCori
11-15-2004, 07:25 PM
Well unfortunately when playing City of Heroes, voice or no voice I still get stupid little boys that take the time to type out their ignorance.
A few months ago while playing my cat woman character named Kittenish (I made her look like Halle, but hey I liked the movie so I thought it was a good tribute) and some kid thought it his mission to try to make me feel bad about it. Then be began dogging women gamers in general. The rest of the guys in my group were dead silent until I said Well..I could get into a battle of the minds with you about this...but you'd have nothing to battle with so what's the point? They laughed and kicked him from the group. Chivalry ain't completely dead...it's slowly strangling to death, but not dead. lol!

AngeloDS
11-15-2004, 07:36 PM
I hate those stereotypes. They make it seem like you need to be the scum of the earth to play video games http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif.

It's pretty popular now. For both guys and gals.

I have friends that don't fit those sterotypes of being a huge nerd and etc. They're pretty normal and highly successful.

If you saw them at school/work and saw their gaming life. You wouldn't guess their gamers http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif.

A lot if not a good portion of my friends from Team Exile that go to University of Washington now. Are super successful 4.0 GPAs and have done a lot of sports in High School and college. And they play games hardcore http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif.

imo, a lot of people are lazy to understand or learn people and just guess. Which sucks because there's a lot of jerks.

Heh, but my girlfriend fits the nerdy look-like profile lol but she's my little nerdy girlfriend http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

MottledDove
11-15-2004, 07:36 PM
Hi peoples,

Firstly I think it's great we have women in the gaming world, & I have meet plenty of GamerGirls with €œskills€ playing XBox live & have heaps of fun playing them.... Also I work for a game developer in Australia ATARI melbourne house, there are currently three female staff members on our team, one is a programmer another is an Animator and a technical Artist . It€s is great to have a female perspective when developing games€¦..

Off the beaten track€¦€¦€¦

Just the other day I was playing Halo2, I was in a room with this guy and girl where I proceeded to frag there ****'s. And all of a sudden I hear the guy say, take it easy mate she's only a girl. I thought WTF? Im not going to change the way i play because there is a Girl in the room.... I play game's because i enjoy them and i will play against anyone who enjoys them as much as me, whether it be male or female

It€s Not about being Male or Female. It€s About Skills!!!!!

Anyway my Gamertag is MottledDove, Add me and play me, If you Like€¦€¦€¦€¦€¦€¦€¦€ ¦€¦€¦€¦..

GameinatrixCori
11-15-2004, 07:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MottledDove:
Hi peoples,

Firstly I think it's great we have women in the gaming world, & I have meet plenty of GamerGirls with €œskills€ playing XBox live & have heaps of fun playing them.... Also I work for a game developer in Australia ATARI melbourne house, there are currently three female staff members on our team, one is a programmer another is an Animator and a technical Artist . It€s is great to have a female perspective when developing games€¦..

Off the beaten track€¦€¦€¦

Just the other day I was playing Halo2, I was in a room with this guy and girl where I proceeded to frag there ****'s. And all of a sudden I hear the guy say, take it easy mate she's only a girl. I thought WTF? Im not going to change the way i play because there is a Girl in the room.... I play game's because i enjoy them and i will play against anyone who enjoys them as much as me, whether it be male or female

It€s Not about being Male or Female. It€s About Skills!!!!!

Anyway my Gamertag is MottledDove, Add me and play me, If you Like€¦€¦€¦€¦€¦€¦€¦€ ¦€¦€¦€¦.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See see!! I hate that! Word to the wise. I'm not a fantastic FPSer. But if I hear anything like "She's only a girl" or "Ugh you can't win with all those girls on your team" I will get good enough, just long enough to snipe you into shame!
If you're better than me you're just better. Don't hesitate to blow my *** up! lol. If you stand there long enough you'll even hear me laughing about it. I love playing games, because they are just that. Games. They are for fun! Geeze!

AngeloDS
11-15-2004, 07:44 PM
The word I hate most to hear from people, "GET A LIFE." Heh, why hate on someone when they're enjoying what they do. Especially when it isn't really hurting anything.

Try to bring them down for what they love. That's pretty messed up. Maybe it's jealousy, immaturity or ignorance. Either way, it's not cool.

BCA
11-15-2004, 08:15 PM
"You do what you love and you love what you do" - A quote from... me BCA/Boo Master. That has been my motto for a while now because it explains every person on this planet. I cant stand half the football team at my HS and I even bet against them, but they are at state now and I would like nothing more than them to win state FOR THEMSELVES... **** the school do it for yourself. Its not about who else is on and who else is talking. Its all about you and what you think and what you are saying. If somebody doesnt like what your saying... well to hell with them because there will come a time whether Male (and some female as we have seen) gamers will have to accept the fact that women have risin to the top. Guys you can fight it till the bloody end or you can just accept it because change happens and right here right now we are in the middle of it. This right here, the Frag Dolls, are almost like a spearhead for something new, something like a new cause. We have stressed MANY opinions and have had MANY others come from elsewhere to put theirs up over this. We have had many questions (some of which I dont think ANY of us could answer in full because we just dont know and Ubi does) asked to us. We have all taken up different sides and rolls when this happens (after a little bit of nice I guess I went back to my core and started to just goto the extremes on people which isnt always needed in all cases and I know that but I have been doing this for too long by know I guess) and we have defended these girls as best we can until they step in with their own 2 cents. I lost my train of thought now because I was thinking back to Ratman and the others that came and even in the begining of this discussion to see how I have changed in my roll that I take. I know that no matter what happens Vision, Steel, and I have baisicaly formed a pact, a team of 3 to be there when needed to try to make people understand girls in games and try to make people understand what these girls are trying to do in the gaming world (I dont know if MAKE them understand is the right way to put it... as it has been said earlier I can be very emotional to this topic so my views may come out harsh and maybe even somewhat oppressive and... what was the word... offensive, only word I could think of right now, to some views. I mean nothing by it its just that I have had some close friends online that are girls and I have seen this **** for years. Just thinking about it really is bringing a little water to my eyes because then I couldnt do **** to help them and I dont want to see that again. That is probably why I call it a war... because to me it is a war that I couldnt fight befor because I didnt know how to, I couldnt). This stuff hits all to close to home and I know it hits even closer for these girls and that I can only IMAGINE just the sheer emotion it causes them to have when they see it. Just like people dont understand what they are doing I really dont understand why people cant accept it. Is it fear of the future, is it them trying to keep things from change, I mean what is it that keeps them from just accepting this. Why fight when something like this, in my opinion, NEEDS to happen. When something like this can make such a big impact and change things for the better (and I know people will think "or for the worse", but you tell me when we Americans havent done something big for better or for worse) that people will look back and wonder why people fought it at all. Why put up a struggle against something you baisicaly cant stop whether you want to or not. All I really want to see is people backing somethng like this, backing these girls in what they are trying to do, and no matter the outcome they can say that they at least made a dent or even a scratch in views about female gamers and that they were proud to be apart of it. Whether this dies in glory or success or goes down in the flames of failure, I will back them and their cause till the end, and I hope more will come and join me... well not me... but join them and help them keep up what they are doing, because they are the spearhead, they are the leaders for something new. I am probably going to go back and read this and wonder just how I got to my different points and parts of this statement but I hope all those that read this will understand what I am saying and help them for what they believe.

BCA
11-15-2004, 08:37 PM
I guess that may answer the question of wy I call it a war. It is one that I cannot stop fighitng becuase of the past and it is one I intend to finish. I believe (and maybe not even then) that the only people who could bring my part in this to close to and end would be if one of the girls asked me to stop... but even then I do not know if I could because of how weak and stupid I was in teh past. I have the oppertunity to fight once again and now I have the ability to do so and I do not want to stop because of the past... the past kinda plays a big part in what I do in the present... I would love to leave the past in the past but It is the past that makes us who we are.

Majora13
11-15-2004, 09:03 PM
Hey Boo, well said man. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> As for majora, it's one thing to be immature. It's another to be ignorant. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, I'd have to agree with you on that point. Trust me though, I'm definitely on the immature side of that fence though. I always realize it when I offend people http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif and then I apologize or tell them to suck it up, depending on whether I think I was out of line.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> And there is nothing over-sensitive about not appreciating certain language. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I can fully understand people getting angry over things other people say, but I can not understand (or at least I do not sympathize with) people who get angry simply becuase the dislike a certain word. Nope, I just do not feel at all for those people.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Most people get online to game, not to listen to some kid spew words just because he thinks he's got nothing to lose. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Awwww man, and I thought they all got online just becuase they loved to listen to my beautiful, melodic, trash talking. Now I'm going to go curl up in my room and cry myself to sleep. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

DirtyDiva
11-15-2004, 09:10 PM
:: bowing out since it's too difficult to teach protozoans respect and humility ::

Majora13
11-15-2004, 09:20 PM
I would come up with a witty comeback, except I don't know what "protozoans" means http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

BCA
11-15-2004, 09:28 PM
They are baisicaly 1 celled orginisums. They have no real brain that I can remember they just follow what they are set to. Question is, who is she refering to?

Majora13
11-15-2004, 09:32 PM
Uhhh, I kinda assumed she was talking to me as I was the last one to post... I'm pretty sure she wasn't talking to you, dude http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Calistah
11-15-2004, 11:45 PM
Boo hon...paragraphs please! =) My brain can't handle that many words this late at night hehehe.

GamingGdess, I was asked no less than 3 times while I was picking up Halo 2 if I was picking it up for someone else. What's up with that?!

Then of course there's the other end of the spectrum. I was talking to a guy the other day about Halo 2 and he said he's actually afraid of female gamers after getting beat down by one in some game or another. =) Funny.

GameinatrixCori
11-16-2004, 10:12 AM
Speaking of women in gaming, we were able to interview one of the developers of the new Playboy game, yes she's a woman, and had some really insightful things to say about the game. I'm still up in the air as to whether or not I'll be playing it, after seeing the screenshots. But it does look like it might be an interesting magazine sim. Anyway check out the interview at www.gameinatrix.com (http://www.gameinatrix.com). It'll cost ya 3 copies of Halo and 2 copies of Beyond Good and Evil to read, but it's well worth it. I'm kidding..it'll only cost you one copy of Halo.

VBSOPRANO
11-16-2004, 11:59 AM
Well look at it this way who would you rather fragg with a guy or a girl 100% of the men that play video games say the girl LOL

just my 2 cents ive played with thousands of gamers since the outbreak of duke nukem 3d
lol
yea im a old fart

THERE is No Issue with girl gamers It's all good fun

BCA
11-16-2004, 01:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Boo hon...paragraphs please! =) My brain can't handle that many words this late at night hehehe.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe my bad... I wasnt really thinking about paragraphs at the time (I could go back and change it for ya if you want me to) and had my mind set on some other things right then.

Calistah
11-16-2004, 01:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GameinatrixCori:
Speaking of women in gaming, we were able to interview one of the developers of the new Playboy game, yes she's a woman, and had some really insightful things to say about the game. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I thought someone already made that game? Wasn't it called Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball or something? =)

MottledDove
11-16-2004, 09:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AngeloDS:
The word I hate most to hear from people, "GET A LIFE." Heh, why hate on someone when they're enjoying what they do. Especially when it isn't really hurting anything. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehehe i just got this one this morning...
I woke up at about 8:00 which is early for me,i don't usually get into work till about 10:00..
Anyway i had a shower and then booted my Xbox up for a quick Burnout race. when i got into the room, I told the person hosting that i was sleepy eyed because i just woke up,and i would probably be all over the shop.... then the dude starts yelling out GET A LIFE... hehehe I replyed,This is my life.... Anyways the guy had a lower rank than me>>> What a Tool

Valkyrie FD
11-17-2004, 05:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Majora13:
Uhhh, I kinda assumed she was talking to me as I was the last one to post... I'm pretty sure she wasn't talking to you, dude http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

She wasnt talking to any of you guys, she ws referring to those guys that attack us for being girl gamers! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Omideus
11-18-2004, 01:34 PM
You know, I teach at an all girls high school, and you can't belive how many of the girls play games.. and not just bust a move and stuff... these girls are coming into my class and talking about CounterStrike and Halo2 and FF and WOW... it's amazing... I'm going to start up a Gamerz Club for them and I'm sure they'll pack the place after school... I wonder if I could get MS to donate a couple of Boxes?...

BCA
11-18-2004, 01:38 PM
Sweet... of course getting Bill Gates and MS to give anything away for free... You might as well try to climb to the moon hehe.