PDA

View Full Version : Opening Movie Question

vipe155
10-06-2008, 02:37 PM
I hate to post this if this question has been addressed, but I just bought SH4, and installed it and tried it out. I haven't installed any of the patches yet, but I will. The problem I've had is the opening movie (poem) is kind of choppy. It stutters just a bit, and the sound is scratchy. I've just ended up going past it. Will this be fixed in one of the patches, or does it have something to do with my end of things?

I have a system that is more than capable of handling this game.

Thanks in advance for any help.

vipe155
10-06-2008, 02:37 PM
I hate to post this if this question has been addressed, but I just bought SH4, and installed it and tried it out. I haven't installed any of the patches yet, but I will. The problem I've had is the opening movie (poem) is kind of choppy. It stutters just a bit, and the sound is scratchy. I've just ended up going past it. Will this be fixed in one of the patches, or does it have something to do with my end of things?

I have a system that is more than capable of handling this game.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Yooperbacker
10-06-2008, 05:52 PM
Hello vipe155,
I did a "Find" search of your question and came across this thread (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6921019045/m/9581076065?r=9011047065#9011047065). You may want to check it out.

Patch to 1.4 and stop by again if you have anymore questions.

vipe155
10-07-2008, 01:12 AM
Ok, well I've installed the 1.4 patch, and the movie still does the same thing. I can watch it in Windows Media Player though.

I'm not sure why I would be having this problem.

Yooperbacker
10-07-2008, 10:31 AM
vipe155,
If you want you could delete the intro movie and have it go straight to the game.
Does the rest of SH4 work for you?

vipe155
10-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Well, yeah I could, but I would rather have everything in the game working 100%. I have the settings up to max. on everything and the game is smooth and very playable. It's just this opening movie thing. Also, I discovered that if I try to skip the UbiSoft clip at the very beginning it kicks me out of the game. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif Typical UbiSoft problems...

I'm open to any suggestions as to why I have this going on.

RockinRobbins
10-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Actually it's probably a codec problem. It seems like the game should contain the appropriate codec, and I can't say that it doesn't. I do know that certain machines have not been able to get past the intro screen, in spite of the fact that if you delete the intro movie they play the game excellently.

Experiment: find the movie and attempt to play it in your media player outside the game. Windows Media Player will attempt to download the appropriate codec if your machine doesn't have it. Assuming it is successful in doing so, the next time you start up the game it should run smoothly.

Just a guess, but it is an educated one...http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/RockinRobbins13/smileys/where-am-i.gif

Yooperbacker
10-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Rockin Robbins I just want to point out to you that he did try playing the movie with Windows Media player and it worked fine. Here is what he said a few post up -

"Ok, well I've installed the 1.4 patch, and the movie still does the same thing. I can watch it in Windows Media Player though.
I'm not sure why I would be having this problem."

Can you think of anything else that might be going on?

vipe155
10-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Yeah, I watched it in Windows Media Player. Pretty nice clip.

I tried sitting through the intro in the game(the whole thing) and the more I look at it, it seems to be more of a sound issue. The video seems to be playing at the correct speed, but the sound is slower than the video and pops/drops out.

I don't see why this would be. I don't have any sound problems in the game. I have a Soundblaster Audigy card, so it's not a matter of poor equipment.

I appreciate all of your help with this.

Loggitt
10-13-2008, 12:55 PM
The two intro movies aren't part of the game. (The Ubisoft logo is the other one.) They are simply .wmv files. You apparently have something wrong with the video codec that's being used. (It may not be the same codec that Media Player uses.) I also had problems with the game startup crashing because of the movies (but no stuttering problem). I changed the name of the movie storage folder 'intro' to 'disableintro'. The game starts immediately without problem. If you used the default path when installing, the movies are at C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\Data\Movies. My movies worked fine for months and then started crashing the startup. Even uninstalling and installing didn't help.