PDA

View Full Version : Having RAM problem, any advice?

nakita7
01-15-2004, 12:11 AM
This is extremely strange...

I just bought a new computer on Boxing Day...just for Uru! P4 2.2, 256 ram, Radeon 9600, SB Audigy 2 etc. The game is running fine, but I would get a little bit of jerky motion/video only now and then (stopped Anti-virus, checked virtual memory, latest drivers and so on...).

After talking to some people, thought I would upgarde RAM to 512. Bought another 256 DDR2700. Installed no problem, but when I played Uru, the game would randomly stop and jump me out to Windows (XP)! I'd try again same thing, couldn't get more than a few minutes of playing!

OK, so I took the extra ram out, and ran on the 256 again, the game runs for hours! Weird.

So I'm thinking a couple things are happening, can you offer some insight.(I am totally computer literate, so I can understand the lingo)

a) The new RAM is defective (I have no other programs installed to check, but boots and recognizes no problem)

b) The RAMs are incompatible. The new one is DDR2700, not sure if the original one is, think it's DDR.

Will more RAM help the jerking? The video card is 128MB, never thought this would be a problem.

nakita7
01-15-2004, 12:11 AM
This is extremely strange...

I just bought a new computer on Boxing Day...just for Uru! P4 2.2, 256 ram, Radeon 9600, SB Audigy 2 etc. The game is running fine, but I would get a little bit of jerky motion/video only now and then (stopped Anti-virus, checked virtual memory, latest drivers and so on...).

After talking to some people, thought I would upgarde RAM to 512. Bought another 256 DDR2700. Installed no problem, but when I played Uru, the game would randomly stop and jump me out to Windows (XP)! I'd try again same thing, couldn't get more than a few minutes of playing!

OK, so I took the extra ram out, and ran on the 256 again, the game runs for hours! Weird.

So I'm thinking a couple things are happening, can you offer some insight.(I am totally computer literate, so I can understand the lingo)

a) The new RAM is defective (I have no other programs installed to check, but boots and recognizes no problem)

b) The RAMs are incompatible. The new one is DDR2700, not sure if the original one is, think it's DDR.

Will more RAM help the jerking? The video card is 128MB, never thought this would be a problem.

Heimdall_G
01-15-2004, 12:37 AM
Having jerkiness off-line is unusual, on-line it's common.

You may have put the second memory stick into the wrong slot of a multiple-slot memory array. For example, if you've got 4 slots, the second stick may need to be in slot 3 and not slot 2. (Slot 2 being the slot next to the original stick.). Refer to the manual that - hopefully - came with the computer.

Especially with higher clock rate DDR memory, it's very important that the memory sticks be as closely matched as possible, specification-wise. It's also very important that the memory you buy is compatible with your motherboard. Again, refer to the manual!

If you've been practicing proper memory stick anti-static handling to avoid damaging the chips, the second stick you bought might be defective but it's more likely to be a stick-mismatch problem. The best thing to do is to mark the original stick somehow, then take both sticks to the place you bought the second one. Have them give you a stick that matches your original, or if what you bought does match, have them replace the stick as defective. Be certain to transport the sticks only in an anti-static bag, which you should have gotten with the second stick.

BTW, you should be using the latest ATI and Creative drivers, not drivers from the computer or MoBo manufacturer. This will help ensure proper Uru gameplay with a minimum of crashes, freezes, etc. If you need help with drivers, please post back.

In Live as -- Heimdall
KI 89512

[This message was edited by Heimdall G on Tue June 08 2004 at 10:08 AM.]

Almlys
01-15-2004, 10:14 AM
umm, with an standard updated linux distro
$ memtest all

with windows:

http://www.memtest86.com/

Almlys
In cavern: Al'my

Guild Of Greeters member.
Shift: Sunday 14:00-16:00 GMT
Languages: Spanish, English and Catalan

hogarth...
01-15-2004, 04:38 PM
According to the development people at Adobe, who I worked with in an attempt to determine whether I had a RAM issue on my machine, the memory-checking routines almol points to will NOT necessarily point up all problems in your RAM. They can isolate some issues, but not all, and thus they are not the best diagnostic tool. The most reliable test is to roll out your stick with a known good one, assuming they are both identical types.

Almlys
01-15-2004, 05:00 PM
ummm, i don't know why people don't like these tools, ummm, you can always buy a cormercial certified memory tester tool, that i think that does exactly the same, or you can buy that heavy machine where you plug the chip to test the memory chip.

Also note that if one of the diagnostic utilities report an error, then i'm 100% sure that your computer is going to crash some day.

Basically there is a procedure (read the docs of the software), to detect if the reported error is or not is the ram.

Note that this diag. utility will fail the test if there is CPU, motherboard or memory problem.

Almlys
In cavern: Al'my

Guild Of Greeters member.
Shift: Sunday 14:00-16:00 GMT
Languages: Spanish, English and Catalan

ralph4952
01-16-2004, 10:48 AM
The jerking may not be a RAM problem. I was having the same problem offline and was also having a page clipping problem. It was fixed by downloading the patch that Micrsoft has for the Uru game. You can find the link on here.

Alerohan
01-16-2004, 10:59 AM
Check your Bios settings for ram and see if it all matches type, speed, is autodetect on, etc... I recently had problems w/ my mother board, I also recently bought a new computer but cheeped out on the MB. It came w/ an Asrock w/ 4x AGP, (cheep board), and all games kept crashing after about 1/2 hour of play. I have a P4 2.8Mhz, 512 ram, geforce4 5200FX 8x AGP, sound blaster live...Last weak I changed the MB to an MSI w/ 8x AGP and now it's fine. I believe the AGP speed incopatibility was the problem, but the again, one million things could have been wrong w/ the old board.
How do your other games play?

nakita7
01-19-2004, 12:16 AM
The only other game I have on so far is Simcity 4. It works, but I get a little jerkiness when I zoom close and pan across, But that is because I have the detail settings very high to get detail, so I don't mind that.

I'll check the bios next, thanks.

maztec
01-19-2004, 12:29 AM
Go down to fry's electronics or most any other major computer store. Take your stick of ram in. Say to them, "Please test this stick of ram for errors. Thank you." They take it to the backroom, return 5 minutes later with the ram and tell you if it failed or passed the test. If it failed, it's bad. If it passed, it isn't. Very handy little tools there -- and much more accurate than any software on-your-computer tests.