PDA

View Full Version : What convinced you to get Rocksmith?

Kitlerc
10-17-2011, 08:32 PM
So what was the tipping point? Was a specific feature? A specific song? Is it because you were able to try it out somewhere?

For me, I was able to try it out at E3 and I absolutely sucked at it. But I could see that if I kept at it (and learned where the hell to place my fingers) that I would get better. But I figured I would just wait until I found a good deal on it since just about all of these guitar games become cheap very quickly nowadays.

A couple weeks go by, and I hear that the Rock Band Squier controller had become discontinued. This is then followed by a dream I had of me trying Rocksmith out again in another demo station, and totally sucking at it. It is incredibly odd for me to remember any of my dreams, so it stuck with me.

So I do a little research, check the prices of everything. On the Best Buy's Rock Band Squier page it says "Save $40 on a combined purchase" so I click to find out that the offer is with the purchase of Rocksmith.

So basically, I grabbed it cause I got a deal on the game and a guitar that I could use outside of Rocksmith.

Kitlerc
10-17-2011, 08:32 PM
So what was the tipping point? Was a specific feature? A specific song? Is it because you were able to try it out somewhere?

For me, I was able to try it out at E3 and I absolutely sucked at it. But I could see that if I kept at it (and learned where the hell to place my fingers) that I would get better. But I figured I would just wait until I found a good deal on it since just about all of these guitar games become cheap very quickly nowadays.

A couple weeks go by, and I hear that the Rock Band Squier controller had become discontinued. This is then followed by a dream I had of me trying Rocksmith out again in another demo station, and totally sucking at it. It is incredibly odd for me to remember any of my dreams, so it stuck with me.

So I do a little research, check the prices of everything. On the Best Buy's Rock Band Squier page it says "Save $40 on a combined purchase" so I click to find out that the offer is with the purchase of Rocksmith.

So basically, I grabbed it cause I got a deal on the game and a guitar that I could use outside of Rocksmith.

Mistermann.db
10-18-2011, 07:25 AM
I stumbled on this reading Guitar World and was very intrigued at the concept. I have been playing/learning guitar for 2 years now and consider myself an intermediate player. Practice is how you get better on guitar and this seems to be just the ticket to more time with the instrument in hand. Looking forward to picking this up this week.

mm

DJdarkness73
10-18-2011, 07:38 AM
Don't really agree with your choice of guitar but if you plan on also using it as an RB3 controller then I guess it was worth it.

I somehow stumbled across this game back in Feb or March and hit like on their FB page. I had bought an acoustic many years ago cuz a friend who is a very good guitar player said he would teach me how to play. Lets just say that just because someone can play well does not mean they will make a good teacher. Since then I have gotten married and he moved away and we don't really keep in touch anymore. About 2 years ago my Uncle gave me an old Les Paul Special II he had sitting around collecting dust. I bought some books, downloaded some stuff from the internet and whatnot but lets face it, practice is the necessary ingredient to learning any instrument and it was just too boring. This game has the ability to make practice fun which is what first drew me in and everything I have read and videos that I have seen since first hitting the "Like" button on FB have only made me want it more. Just wish i had spent the extra on shipping so that I could be guaranteed to get it today but Oh well, I should have it by the end of the week.

maxamaral
10-18-2011, 10:19 AM
This game is really everything I was hoping for, joining 2 things that I love - playing guitar and playing video games. I have to admit that I'm totally rusty at guitar playing (real guitar, not platics ones), since I studied guitar 10 years a go and since then almost never touched it again. But, to be honest, since i started playing guitar, my dream was to have a GOOD learning/practicing material, aside form the video classes (boring), tablature (really time-consuming), audio classes (also boring) and a teacher (nice, but expensive). Also, now being a father I have almost no more spare time, so my "teacher" now will progress at my pace, and that's the real deal about it. Really can't wait to get my hands on the game!

Bl_lddy
10-18-2011, 07:49 PM
I want to play guitar and I play a lot of video games. Its a win win for me. I like the dynamic difficultly. If things get a little too intense for me, it calms down. I then go to riff repeater and learn it at my own pace.

BubbaMc
10-19-2011, 05:04 AM
I've been intrigued with this idea ever since Guitar Rising was announced a few years ago, but that was never released.

Also I plan on developing educational guitar apps for ios, and would like to see what I'm up against/how I can make it better etc.

AlexLifeson
10-20-2011, 03:44 AM
The built in amps/efx portion. Once I saw a video about that, and knew you could mess around all you wanted with tones, coming out of your home theater for only $80 that was it.
You could spend hundreds on efx boxes and amps but its all built in RS
very cool for new players to have this ability to enjoy the learning process more than just clean tone from an amp which is not inspiring or very cool when they want to sound like their fav artist

Hab_Fan
10-21-2011, 11:33 PM
I came across some information a little over a year ago that eventually got me to some info that Ubisoft was working on this game but could use a real guitar. I was basically sold at that time and had followed it since. Four years ago I was heavily into playing Rock Band which got me into buying a real guitar two years later. Since getting my guitar I never touched my Xbox again until I bought Rocksmith this week. I guess I've gone full circle.

DeepDrummer
11-02-2011, 05:27 PM
Real guitars sold me. I never liked the direction the others took with buttons on a guitar in the beginning. That, to me, doe3s not teach much guitar. No doubt this will cause a resurgence of coding along the musical game line. Competition is good.
Now that they have the coding down for recognising the notes they might as well look into:
rocksmith Bass
rocksmith keyboards
But what about my drums? I foresee a setup procedure which would sense each drum through sound instead of triggers after you pick your kit. Mine has 5 toms, a snare, hi hat, cymbals, cowbell, 10 mikes and a mixer which could go right from the main out into the rocksmith cable. Comon ubisoft, you can do it.
I'd be willing to bet that if I plugged in my keyboard to the game, it could play it a bit at an easy level before the slides, bends hammer ons and such. It wouldn't take a lot to expand it and I believe it will happen, perhaps for version 2?

ssceng
11-03-2011, 06:37 AM
The ability to play a real guitar sold me. I felt like I could learn at my own pace, and I can't tell you how many times I thought guitar hero looked cool but would have been SOOO much better if you actually learned to play a real guitar from it.

Xx El Kino xX
11-03-2011, 06:43 AM
The fact that it was being developed by Ubisoft and that I can plug in my baby... i mean my guitar http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif (see what i did there?

c4zer
11-03-2011, 08:16 AM
I saw the monkey add when I was looking for used guitars on Kijiji (Canada's craigslist). I was about to ignore it like I do with all the other "Play guitar in 5 minutes11!!!" adds but then I saw the xbox/ps3 games appear beside it.

I clicked on the add, which took me to a FB page that blocked everything and tried to force me to "like" it before I got any info. Naturally I didn't "like" it but instead googled it.

I didn't have a xbox or ps3 so I told me friend about it. He preordered it 5 mins later and when watching youtube videos of people using rockband, I preordered the ps3 version and got a ps3 the next day.