PDA

View Full Version : Who the hell is this guy?

Titus_Gein
03-01-2010, 09:58 PM
On the conviction homepage Sam now looks young and fresh again, and in fact looks nothing like the original Sam we all know and love.

This is what the Sam on the home page did look like. Original (http://repo.lucidlan.com/feature/splintercellconviction.jpg)

So who is this guy? - http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/476/imposter.jpg (http://img528.imageshack.us/i/imposter.jpg/)

Titus_Gein
03-01-2010, 09:58 PM
On the conviction homepage Sam now looks young and fresh again, and in fact looks nothing like the original Sam we all know and love.

This is what the Sam on the home page did look like. Original (http://repo.lucidlan.com/feature/splintercellconviction.jpg)

So who is this guy? - http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/476/imposter.jpg (http://img528.imageshack.us/i/imposter.jpg/)

sammyboy1981
03-01-2010, 10:12 PM
He's "Panther-Sam"...to the XTREME!!!!

Seriously, I wish I look that good when I'm 52. Heck, I wish I looked that good now...

me now ----> http://davart.net/awg/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/very-fat-woman-eating.jpg?SSImageQuality=Full

SNSReaperSNS
03-01-2010, 10:16 PM
(your favorite brotha from family guy)-"thaaats naaasty."

oh and i agree, im tired of sam gettin pastic surgery.

stavros_27
03-02-2010, 12:18 AM
I think the Sam picture in the banner at the top of the forum looks the best. But I like the one on the site now more than the original that you posted.

Cyrus.H
03-02-2010, 12:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Titus_Gein:

So who is this guy? - http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/476/imposter.jpg (http://img528.imageshack.us/i/imposter.jpg/) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That, my friend, is the bastard offspring of Kiefer Sutherland and Maxime Beland. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

coltcat
03-02-2010, 02:38 AM
I got it.
Sam is a clone, NSA replace him with a new one every 1 or 2 year with implanted memories.
if you unmask one of the red goggle splinter cell you will see it's sams face , only a little younger.

Pacer1988
03-02-2010, 07:33 AM
nobody complains that Bond gets both older and younger in what, 20, 21 films? But Sam dosent change in just 5 games and everybody freaks out! My dad just hit 50, and he dosent look old, in fact hes closer to what that Sam looks like, so I dunno why ppl are exaggerating..oh wait..I think I do. I mean you guys know that Tom Cruise is 47 and George Clooney is like 48 or something, and they dont look like zimmer frame users do they? I think people on here think that 50 year olds are geriatrics.

Dephkt
03-02-2010, 08:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pacer1988:
nobody complains that Bond gets both older and younger in what, 20, 21 films? But Sam dosent change in just 5 games and everybody freaks out! My dad just hit 50, and he dosent look old, in fact hes closer to what that Sam looks like, so I dunno why ppl are exaggerating..oh wait..I think I do. I mean you guys know that Tom Cruise is 47 and George Clooney is like 48 or something, and they dont look like zimmer frame users do they? I think people on here think that 50 year olds are geriatrics. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe some people do, but James Bond movies are a huge series and therefore it's impossible to compare the two. Sam was old from the start and continued to be that way throughout the series. Poor analogy on your part.

If Sam looked his age, he would come off as a veteran - somebody who is past his time but has come back once more for vengeance. I hope to God they don't turn this into a Bond shoot-em-up.

Joshua Morrison
03-02-2010, 02:11 PM
The reason people are mad is because Sam isn't another hollywood hero, well he wasn't. He was a Tom Clancy character and should be based on realism. Thats not really my opinion so much as what I think everyone else is thinking. I don't know if I care about the age thing as much as how he falls from 30 feet and isn't damaged or that he is silent just by crouching a little lower to the ground.

Pacer1988
03-02-2010, 02:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dephkt:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pacer1988:
nobody complains that Bond gets both older and younger in what, 20, 21 films? But Sam dosent change in just 5 games and everybody freaks out! My dad just hit 50, and he dosent look old, in fact hes closer to what that Sam looks like, so I dunno why ppl are exaggerating..oh wait..I think I do. I mean you guys know that Tom Cruise is 47 and George Clooney is like 48 or something, and they dont look like zimmer frame users do they? I think people on here think that 50 year olds are geriatrics. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe some people do, but James Bond movies are a huge series and therefore it's impossible to compare the two. Sam was old from the start and continued to be that way throughout the series. Poor analogy on your part.

If Sam looked his age, he would come off as a veteran - somebody who is past his time but has come back once more for vengeance. I hope to God they don't turn this into a Bond shoot-em-up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he still is old! People are trying to say hes younger, he just looks old but with a new design, jesus people try to find every little thing they can moan about when it comes to this game.

oO_ShadowFox_Oo
03-02-2010, 02:19 PM

Ya Pacer, but they're actors. They have a huge amount of invested in their looks and how youthful they appear.

Sam is a veteran soldier who's spent the majority of his life fighting in wars - it's bound to take its toll, but instead we see Sam has gotten younger, better looking and more moviestar like because he now has his own Hollywood movie.

HURRAY!

sammyboy1981
03-02-2010, 02:44 PM

I think the issue for me is more the apparent change in look he undergoes. Obviously different actors bring new and different looks, but there is no reason that Sam can't retain his look in a VIDEO GAME. Instead we get a Sam with a lot of grey hair in one trailer, a big nose in the gameplay, a buff version in the promo shots, and so on...it's like the advertising dept and the game programmers and the cinematic directors didn't meet beforehand to decide his look.

Also, on a sidenote, Ubi could take a lot from the Bond franchise by freezing Sam in time a little more. You're right, nobody cares that Bond has been through this incredible stretch of time without "aging". He's fought mad scientists, commies, terrorists...all types of "villains" throughout the generations, even as what a villain "is" has changed. Sam should do the same...he should be forever a SC agent, fighting whatever type of baddies exist at that time. If they want to mess with his world, than do it in the timeframe of a game.

ReMaKc
03-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Oh, this must be Sam Sharker !

newhenpal
03-02-2010, 03:44 PM

That would be because they use actors on screen to portray Bond. Actors are human; humans tend to age. Especially when a franchise goes on for 46 years.

So what's the excuse for Sam looking younger with each game that's released? And why can't the guys in charge of Conviction choose a rendition and stick with it? There are at least 5 different renditions of the same man in the same game.

Cyrus.H
03-02-2010, 04:40 PM
The James Bond: 007 films aren't based around realism, but Splinter Cell games are.

Therefore, when they say that Sam is 53 years old I expect him to look, act, move, and speak like a 53 year old.

Michael Ironside has done a great job on the speaking part, but the rest is just way off.

One example of this, is that Sam moves faster in Conviction than he did in the original Splinter Cell (i.e. running, jumping, climbing pipes, climbing ledges, etc.) which just completely defies logic and realism.

gamertam
03-02-2010, 04:48 PM
He looks younger than before which i don't care much for, but i think it's not THAT important at all. It's the gameplay and experience that matters to me most. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif as long as there are no problems whatsoever with the game i'm all good baby.

p.s
It reminds me of the California's governor
the Terminator when he was younger. I don't want to violate the forum's rule and plug his name. Do i get ban if i do so just wondering http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SplinterCell472
03-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Oh, that guy happens to be Sam Fisher. Wait, is he... smiling?

cnader
03-02-2010, 05:39 PM
My old man's 51, and he looks about the same (if not better) than Sam does in ConViction

SplinterCell472
03-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Yeah, mine too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

oO_ShadowFox_Oo
03-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Ya, but have your old men be at the front lines of special operations since they were in their mid 20s?

Pacer1988
03-02-2010, 05:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oO_ShadowFox_Oo:
Ya, but have your old men be at the front lines of special operations since they were in their mid 20s? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

mine spent 19 years in the military, 8 of those in the SAS. Having really looked at the new Sam model..I start to see how hes looking younger, its like they took someone who looks like they could be fast, then added grey hair and stubble for that vetern look.

Toy-soldiier
03-02-2010, 06:01 PM
Looks a bit like Matthew Fox in my eyes.

cnader
03-02-2010, 06:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oO_ShadowFox_Oo:
Ya, but have your old men be at the front lines of special operations since they were in their mid 20s? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, but once again, Sam IS a video-game character. Would you really want to play a Splinter Cell game with same being the worst-case-scenario 53 year old? I don't think playing as an obese man with a fanny-pack and an American flag T-Shirt would be too fun.

oO_ShadowFox_Oo
03-02-2010, 08:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cnader:

No, but once again, Sam IS a video-game character. Would you really want to play a Splinter Cell game with same being the worst-case-scenario 53 year old? I don't think playing as an obese man with a fanny-pack and an American flag T-Shirt would be too fun. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who said anything about him being fat, wearing a fanny pack or an t-shirt with a flag on it?

The appeal of playing Sam Fisher is because he's an old soldier. He's not some hot shot, know it all, save the world at a million miles an hour, PEW PEW PEW action superhero.

At least, he wasn't....

I'd much rather see him looking close to 50, rather than the late 30s he looks now.

cnader
03-03-2010, 07:04 AM
I was just exaggerating, sorry if I confused you. However, I am going to have to disagree. First off, Sam has always been acting like a know-it-all, as seen through his comedic interrogations with the poor guards from (especially) Chaos Theory. It has also been proven Sam still needs to remain stealthy. As shown in the "new" Maxime interview for G4, there will be a "Realistic" difficulty that will make it so Sam can only take one or two shots before dying, and the guards will be more alert to his presence, so taking things slow and making sure you aren't seen will remain crucial. You may still have to kill a few guards (on your first play-through), but just like in the old SC Titles, you can do a quick reload and have that trial-and-error-Sam we all know.
Does his character model look too young? Maybe, but he certainly looks older than he does in Chaos Theory, and older than he does in Double Agent, so I'm not complaining about that.
Ultimately what it comes down to is: Conviction is a game made by humans, not God (if you're into that). Humans have their own perception as to what they feel is right, and this is this team's view. I'm sure that no matter who made the game anyone could find problems with it and say that it was not loyal to the series. It is a videogame, buy it or don't. I know I am going to buy it, and I will be enjoying everything about it (I hope http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif)

Powerslave01
03-03-2010, 05:42 PM
I have to say, to me, it almost seems like an optical illusion. Regardless, if you go ahead and break out your 360's Double Agent you may note he looks almost just like current (box art) sam, albeit slightly younger, in the training missions where he has no baclava.