PDA

View Full Version : Wow!!

Gonejohn
01-27-2010, 10:03 PM
Tonight, I decided to add more realistic features to my career game and what a difference it made! I felt it was time to try the realistic reload time and realistic repair time and all I can say is....WOW!
I decided to start small and as I was heading for my patrol point I ran across a convoy. I sunk two destroyers and a medium freighter and had to dive deep to lose the destroyers.
Well, after taking a few near misses by dc's, I went silent and moved away.....I now realize that torpedoes take a long while to reload! So, taking some advice from you old timers I surfaced and made a long run to catch back up with the convoy and I was reloaded by the time I found my target again!
It may not seem like much to most of you but after playing the game with not alot of reality, I will now be rethinking my tactics! I also tried listening for targets with the sonar and that is going to take some time getting used to!
This is such a great game! It literally keeps you on your toes!

Gonejohn
01-27-2010, 10:03 PM
Tonight, I decided to add more realistic features to my career game and what a difference it made! I felt it was time to try the realistic reload time and realistic repair time and all I can say is....WOW!
I decided to start small and as I was heading for my patrol point I ran across a convoy. I sunk two destroyers and a medium freighter and had to dive deep to lose the destroyers.
Well, after taking a few near misses by dc's, I went silent and moved away.....I now realize that torpedoes take a long while to reload! So, taking some advice from you old timers I surfaced and made a long run to catch back up with the convoy and I was reloaded by the time I found my target again!
It may not seem like much to most of you but after playing the game with not alot of reality, I will now be rethinking my tactics! I also tried listening for targets with the sonar and that is going to take some time getting used to!
This is such a great game! It literally keeps you on your toes!

Magic452
01-27-2010, 11:13 PM
Developing targets by your own with sonar is a great deal of fun, I love the early war when you don't have radar.
Tracking down a sonar target is difficult till you get the hang of it but you do appreciate the kill all the more.

As you step up the difficulty you do have to change tactics but the rewards are worth the effort.

One tip go silent long before the depth charges are dropped, like when you are approaching. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif
Second tip, if you haven't done so already, limited batteries is a game changer, watch your fuel!!!!
Have fun, good luck and good hunting

Magic

MWolfe1963
01-28-2010, 01:28 AM
Wait until you load a supermod, then you'll see an even higher level of reality.

VXB77016
01-28-2010, 06:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Magic452:
Second tip, if you haven't done so already, limited batteries is a game changer, watch your fuel!!!!

Magic </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll second that remark in spades!

When I first got the game I decided to master the TDC before anything else. Once I'd come to grips (mostly) with the TDC I started turning off the other in-game aids and found, to my absolute horror, that a nuclear attack submarine with a manual targeting computer is 1000% deadlier than a submersible with a state of the art digital targeting computer.

Manual target development and tracking is fun and challenging but, to my mind, the true core of the game is the fact that you're not skippering a submarine, you're skipping a submersible. Huge difference between the two!

MWolfe1963
01-28-2010, 07:33 AM
Underwater vehicles are called submersibles, but when designed for warfare, submersibles are called submarines, possessing streamlined hulls (frames), ect..

So not sure how were in a submersible, cuz being a warship a submersible becomes a submarine

"A submarine is a watercraft capable of independent operation below the surface of the water. It differs from a submersible, which has only limited underwater capability."

Gonejohn
01-28-2010, 06:00 PM
Well, I just know that even though I just nudged up the reality meter a small bit, it made me appreciate the kills more!But then when my wifes new kitten jumped up on my lap and accidently fired a torpedo while climbing across the keyboard...my wife could not understand why I became angry! I think the exact phrase was.."why you little son of a ....!HA HA! So, the new rule aboard the sub is no kittens allowed!
And actually listening with the sonar.....I will need to buy a real good set of headphones!