PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Computer reboots when game is loaded

ungr8fulvr6
08-29-2004, 12:07 PM
Hey all, everytime I got to play the game my system re-boots, automatically..

I've uninstalled and re-installed the game as well as re-installed my video card driver...

Nothing seems to be working, anyone have any ideas???

ungr8fulvr6
08-29-2004, 12:07 PM
Hey all, everytime I got to play the game my system re-boots, automatically..

I've uninstalled and re-installed the game as well as re-installed my video card driver...

Nothing seems to be working, anyone have any ideas???

EsP_OzZie
08-29-2004, 12:36 PM
Check the temps of your hardware too make sure they arnt too hot. Also make sure you dont have a virus/spyware.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/EsP_OzZie/9973.jpg
ozzie_987@hotmail.com

aravn4u
08-29-2004, 12:42 PM
also are you getting any error messages?

ungr8fulvr6
08-29-2004, 01:12 PM
What do u mean by "too hot"?? And I'm not getting any kinds of error messages at all... My norton antivirus is on all the time, but I don't see it being a problem???

ashasha
08-29-2004, 03:47 PM
Plain old hard reboots like that are usually chipset or MB related in my experience. Do you have the latest chipset drivers and BIOS for your MB? If so what kind of ram timings do you have in the BIOS? If they are too aggressive it can cause a reboot as well. It only really does it when the PC is being pushed really hard.

It could also be a SW conflict, if you have something running in the background like a peer to peer app or some kind of nasty spyware it could be doing something funky.

It could also be your sound card, try using compatible mode or lowering your SC's HW acceleration a notch or two. Usually SC problems cause lockups though, not reboots.

What are your game video settings? Try lowering them all to low and try it from there.

Give us the following info and maybe we can help:

CPU
Video card (and driver version)
Amount of ram and type
Operating System and version
Sound card
MB model

That should atleast get enough info so that anyone who has any knowledge of "known" errors maybe able to help.

ungr8fulvr6
08-29-2004, 05:34 PM
I'm not really a computer guy to be honest.. So whatever you guys are asking me is like me trying to understand another language.... All i know is that this computer is brand new, not even two days old and i'm sure it has all the latest stuff in it... If anyone knows how I can check if I have the right setting, I don't mind paying long distance charges on my phone to find out...

fabulouscoops
08-29-2004, 11:02 PM
Reboots can also come from an underpowered or faulty power supply.

P4-HT 3.0 GHz (northwood, 800MB FSB, 512k L2 Cache) @3.12 GHz, Win XP Home SP1
Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB, 256 bit (oc:412/366), Directx 9.0C, Cat 4.9 beta
1024 MB (2x512) Mushkin PC3200 DDR 400 RAM [2-3-2-6], Intel D865PERL Motherboard
Plextor 52x32x52 CD-RW, Audigy 2ZS, SATA WD 37 GB Raptor, WD 120 GB Caviar
19" flat screen CRT @90 Hz, 400 Watt Antec PS
3DMark03 5860; aquamark3 47,300

ToranagaSama1
08-30-2004, 12:49 AM
You may have a brand new PC, bought yesterday, but the drivers will not be the latest, and Far Cry needs to use the latest drivers.

You can think of "drivers" as smal software programgs that interface between the operating systems, Windows, and all the different parts that make up your computer.

Each part ("peripheral") has a "Driver".

You need to obtain and install:

1) Soundcard/chip driver
2) Motherboard *Chipset* driver
3) Motherboard BIOS (actually not a driver, but functions similiarly)

There are other drivers (that you *should* update), but those directly effect the game.

You should first determine whether you have a separate Sound "card", or if the motherboard has a "built-in"/"on-board" chip to take care of sound.

If on-board then you need to go to your motherboard manufacturer's website, locate the driver, download it, read the install instructions and follow the instructions.

The same for the motherboard's chipset.

The same for the motherboard's BIOS, ***but*** you need to follow the instructions PERCISELY! Make sure you compehend want to do, and how to do it. Make sure you follow the instructions to BACKUP the existing BIOS before installing the new BIOS. Actually, the proper term is *Flash* the BIOS, rather than "installing".

Oh, I almost forgot, you, also, need to determine wether your motherboard has an on-board chip for video, or, whether you have a separate video card.

Again, you need to install the latest driver. Follow the same procedure, above, as outlined for the sound card/chip.

Owning a PC means becoming a "computer guy". You are about to embark upon your first computer educational experience. Take Notes! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Luck!