PDA

View Full Version : No VR?

Gorange
02-25-2005, 05:29 PM
It would seem as though my wishing to visit the Ages in the whole of Myst in "Virtual Reality" is over. To travel and see, touch and feel the Ages is sadening, all I have left is a dream a few nights ago of visiting Ahnonay, the feel of humidity on arrival.

Perhaps thats not the end, as I hope that technology will progress enough in a few years to allow RT3D in VR?

soypowered
02-25-2005, 10:05 PM
By virtual reality you mean...?
Like prerendered stuff. If that's what you mean, I feel your pain!

Gorange
02-26-2005, 01:35 AM
Just that.
A low cost high quality VR headset and glove.
This is the only way any game can be fully immersable to a player.

By now it should have been standard tech (like the DVD player for example), and is really not for the gamer, unless your loaded.

Pre-rendered node based like M3 and M4 (shame this level of tech was not present for Riven, over 360 degrees FOV).

But RT3D although lower res than pre-rendered, has the potential for when VR tech becomes available to the average player, to be "compatible".

But, but to be completely and utterly immersed in a game like Riven, is to touch the plant and animal life, feel the humid breeze on your face as you smell the delightful scent of Rivenese orchids, taste the mushrooms on Teledahn with that cold shiver down your spine (ambience) as you devour them in a salad, hear Dr Watson fishing on Noloben and the wave crashing on the shore, see the expression on Yeesha's face as you cook her favourite meal.
Same as I made the comment earlier of actually having a dream of being on Ahnonay, smooth clean polygons and textures undetectable all but the hardcore diehard fan who points out that at certain place at a certain angle with certain graphics cards can see a wall with two or more missmatched polygons and textures.

Every other game still feels fake unless its like Uru at 1am with all the lights turned off and the gamma low, you still fell as though your looking at a screen.
Uru was great and still is, as there is an ambience that you don't get with many other games.

Mowog
02-28-2005, 11:16 AM
As mentioned on the Uru boards, I was one of a few forum members who played Uru in stereo 3D using liquid crystal glasses. It was great fun (still is!) and enhanced the experience considerably.

Gorange
02-28-2005, 10:13 PM
It was a good idea though, but the glasses are too expensive for me, and as I experimented with red/blue glasses I realized that there would be too much "ghosting" (double image) especially with the cursor, it also caused heavy eyestrain, although a set of LCD glasses could eleviate this, I gave up only for a small glimpse of hope that a VR headset can give the "feel" that I would like in 3d games.

Hence 3D moveis are short, usually between 30 to 45 mins, one I saw used to be on the IMAX (screen now bought and run by Village cinemas) "Dinosaurs" I felt there wasn't enough depth in it, and it was probably due to the spacing between the cameras (it used LCD glasses).

However I played a game some 15 years ago, a VR game where there are two players with headsets, EM ring and gun and the goal was to beat the other player or tease the dragon above, it was very low res, but it felt real like as though you were in Tron (the movie)

Deledrius
03-02-2005, 09:00 PM
I'm extremely disappointed that VR hasn't kept pace with 3D acceleration. We could be having a lot more fun right now.

Kweaper
03-04-2005, 09:00 AM
VR as never really gotten off the ground.
I have seen them set up at malls once in awhile and besides the military useing them they really never got to home marketing like i would like them to...

My dream is to become like johnny Mnumonic (minus the head plug) and use power gloves and googles on a computer instead of a monitor and keyboard.

Deirdre_1
03-04-2005, 12:29 PM
For me, I have to simply just enjoy what I can 'see'. I have been blind in one eye for over 40 years and do not even recollect what it is like to see oput of 2 eyes. I cannot see '3 D' Any 3-D glasses have absolutely no effect for me. But still I greatly enjoy the Myst games and am waiting anxiously for Myst 5!!!!!!!!

Deirdre_1
03-04-2005, 02:38 PM
Another thought. I do frequently wonder if I am 'missing' anything by seeing out of only one eye. I wonder if anyone with full sight could view some of Myst 4 or URU with one eye closed and let me know if they notice any perceptable difference. If anyone is willing to do this and then post here it would be greatly appreciated.

Kweaper
03-04-2005, 08:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Deirdre_1:
Another thought. I do frequently wonder if I am 'missing' anything by seeing out of only one eye. I wonder if anyone with full sight could view some of Myst 4 or URU with one eye closed and let me know if they notice any perceptable difference. If anyone is willing to do this and then post here it would be greatly appreciated. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think if you are still able to judge jumps using only one eye then you really aren't missing much.
But for me closing one eye and play the game didn't really effect anything at all.
They say you lose depth perseption but i don't see it.

Then again it might be how long you have been blind since your mind processes things differently from when you could see 3D.
I mean i know the game layout so i can make a mental picture in my mind of the 3D worlds as i play with one eye closed so that might be a factor

hope this helps in some way.

Deirdre_1
03-05-2005, 03:30 AM
It is not that you lose depth perception. It is just a bit different so I am told. I still sometimes mis judge distances. And as I said 3-d glasses do absolutely nothing for me. I guess I will never really know.

Kweaper
03-05-2005, 05:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Deirdre_1:
It is not that you lose depth perception. It is just a bit different so I am told. I still sometimes mis judge distances. And as I said 3-d glasses do absolutely nothing for me. I guess I will never really know. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is kind of hard to explain a 3d perspective..

I think it's like drawing a 3-dimensional block on a piece of paper.
The block looks 3D but it's on a flat surface so you know it doesn't look quite 3D.
Just reverse that theory and that is 3D.