PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

Neyana
02-03-2006, 10:59 PM
I'm sort of a newbie. That is, I've played Myst, Riven, and Myst III: Exile......but all with walkthroughs. Lol! I'm really stupid and half the time I can't even figure the stuff out with the walkthroughs. However, I want to get Myst IV: Revelation tomorrow and I want to try and play it all by meself without any hints or walkthroughs. This will be my first time playing on my own, so any advice from you seasoned pros? How do you figure out the puzzles by yourself and how do you figure what's connected to what and what answer works what puzzle?

Also, another question: I keep hearing people talk about reading the Myst books. Are there real life books you can read or is it just books in the games? I've only seen the games so far, but I would be very interested in reading the books if there are some. If there are books, where can I find them?

Thanks for reading my rambling and attempting to help my poor stupid mind. Ta-ta.

Neyana
02-03-2006, 10:59 PM
I'm sort of a newbie. That is, I've played Myst, Riven, and Myst III: Exile......but all with walkthroughs. Lol! I'm really stupid and half the time I can't even figure the stuff out with the walkthroughs. However, I want to get Myst IV: Revelation tomorrow and I want to try and play it all by meself without any hints or walkthroughs. This will be my first time playing on my own, so any advice from you seasoned pros? How do you figure out the puzzles by yourself and how do you figure what's connected to what and what answer works what puzzle?

Also, another question: I keep hearing people talk about reading the Myst books. Are there real life books you can read or is it just books in the games? I've only seen the games so far, but I would be very interested in reading the books if there are some. If there are books, where can I find them?

Thanks for reading my rambling and attempting to help my poor stupid mind. Ta-ta.

Alahmnat
02-04-2006, 04:03 AM
I can't give you many pointers on puzzle-solving since it's not something I find I'm terribly fantastic at myself, and Revelation's puzzles, I'm sorry to say, require perhaps some of the more strained logical leaps in the series, so you may be in for a long haul this time around.

I can, however, say that there have indeed been books published based on the characters and history developed by the games. While the individual copies are unfortunately all out of print now, there is a recently released compendium version available called The Myst Reader. You should be able to get it at Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, Borders, and most other bookstore chains (and if they don't have copies in stock, they should be able to order them for you). They aren't exactly Pulitzer Prize material, but they're good, somewhat quick reads that flesh the characters out a bit more than a video game generally allows.