PDA

View Full Version : Rise of an Error(s): Testing Continuing

Shaltif
09-29-2007, 11:16 AM
Please note that all bug information, in this post, has been tested on patch 1.1.4163 - English (American) Build. When new builds are present, I will try to update the information accordingly.

I ask that other users please test/confirm the following bugs. Once a bug has been confirmed on multiple systems, I ask that forum administration please forward this information to the development team for further evaluation.

List of confirmed bugs on my system:

-Saving or Loading Error-
Error: Loading a saved game (custom single player tested only) has missing graphics and/or unusual/missing game logic. Possible cause to related crash / BSOD bug below.

My Comments:
There appears to be an issue with how the game saves/loads it's content. I haven't determined exactly which is causing the problem, but I can inform you that this error started appearing since 1.1.4163.

The Error(s):
1. Saving a game while a tax or gold amount status message is displayed. The next time you load this save, this status message will never clear and additional gold increase/decrease status messages will continue to stack until the game lock's or BSOD's.
2. Loading a saved game does not show the knight in the loading screen that you saved with.
3. The knight's portrait during communication is missing.

Image showing errors 1 and 3:
http://www.shaltif.com/stuff/error/Settlers6_HotErrorsHighlightThumb.jpg (http://www.shaltif.com/stuff/error/Settlers6_HotErrorsHighlight.jpg)
(click to see enlarged version)

How to replicate the error:
Start a game until you have a few taxable businesses running. Once this is done, wait for a tax message to appear. At this moment, save the game. Reload this save and watch the tax errors begin.

To help debug this, I have already created a save showing this bug in action, all you have to do is load it up. It can be downloaded here:

Tax Error Saved Game File (http://www.shaltif.com/stuff/error/5_Mediterra.zip)
(WARNING: This bug may cause the game to crash or the entire computer to Blue Screen after running for 5-10 minutes. Load at your own risk.)

Work Arounds:
For the time being, you can avoid the gold stack error by saving only when no status window is on screen. I am unsure if this work around will fix the apparent crash issue involved with loading a saved game, but it appears to be ok from tests so far. The knight portrait is still missing.

Other Notes:
There are possibly other errors involved with this saving/loading system that are not visually apparent, causing crashing and even BSOD of the computer. Please continue reading below.

----------------------------------

-Crashing issue with loaded and saving games-
Error: Loading or saving a game (custom single player tested only) can cause the computer to crash shortly after the action.

My Comments:
This is a bit more random which is making it harder to replicate. I usually get it to happen shortly after saving a game where a tax message is showing (usually about 10-60 seconds after saving) or randomly (10 seconds to 10 minutes) after loading a game (reguardless if the save has the above tax error or not). Crash results in a BSOD, thus I don't have any minidumps to show.

Uncertian. I can isolate it down to a loaded game or saving a game, but I haven't figured out exactly what is causing the crash itself since it appears to happen randomly, which makes me think it's an error in the game's logic after saving/loading a game action has been taken.

Work Arounds:
Don't use the save mechanisim in the game.

-Trail / Pathing Error causing game freeze-
Error: Sometimes creating a trail at certian positions on the map can cause the game to freeze.

My Comments:
I wish I could get this to repeat in a different case, but currently I only got this happen at a certian spot on one map. Making me wonder if the error is with the game's logic or map design.

Image showing the error:
http://www.shaltif.com/stuff/error/Settlers6_RoundFreezeHighlightThumb.jpg (http://www.shaltif.com/stuff/error/Settlers6_RoundFreezeHighlight.jpg)

Load up the saved game below. Then, try to connect a path exactly as I've shown in the image above (in front of outpost and snap to existing trail by gate). The game should freeze requiring an End Task.

Save can be downloaded here:
Trail Error Saved Game File (http://www.shaltif.com/stuff/error/6_Roundup.zip)
(WARNING: This save also contains the tax bug listed above and as such, may crash / BSOD your computer. Load at your own risk.)

Work Arounds:
Instead of making 1 large path, break it up into smaller segments

Other Notes:
This is more of an annoying error, but one I still wanted to point out. I haven't got this to error on other maps, but then again, I've been too busy fighting the save/loading error to really put much more resources into testing this one out. I believe it might be in the way the game does pathfinding logic for settlers, causing the game to hit an infinite loop lockup.

-Unable to scroll map-
Error: When a portrait is showing, the mouse cursor is unable to scroll the map at the bottom left corner.

My Comments:
Another annoying bug. When you have a portrait up, you can't scroll the map to the bottom left corner with the mouse.

Image showing the error:
http://www.shaltif.com/stuff/error/Settlers6_MouseScrollHighlightThumb.jpg (http://www.shaltif.com/stuff/error/Settlers6_MouseScrollHighlight.jpg)

Have a portrait displaying. While this is up, move your mouse to the bottom left corner (image above for reference). The map will not scroll like it would against other sides of the screen.

Work Arounds:
Try to keep the portrait display to a minimum. Alternatively, use the arrow keys to scroll the map instead.

Other Notes:
Interestingly enough, this error was in the demo. When I got retail (1.0.4140), this bug was seemingly fixed. However, patch 1.1.4163 has apparently re-introduced the error.

=================================

In Conclusion:

I have a few other bugs I am still testing and will share them once I get something that's a bit easier to replicate or identify the cause of them. Hopefully people can confirm these bugs so the development team can begin fixing these issues. For the time being, I found avoiding the save feature of the game (the normal one, haven't tested quick saving) seems to be the best way to avoid most of these issues. However, the game has a habit of crashing under different situations (such as the path bug mentioned, or a wall/tower bug I am currently investigating).

My System:

For Developers, here is my system configuration.

OS: Windows Vista Home Premium (English/American Build) 32-bit
Processor: ~3.0Ghz AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Dual Core (2 CPU's)
Video Card: EVGA 768MB nVidia GeForce 8800 Ultra
RAM: 2048MB (2 gig)

If you need any additional information, please feel free to ask.

Final Comment:
This is the first game I have ever had BSOD my machine, which I am assuming means something is seriously going wrong somewhere in this game. I highly recommend a hotfix be implimented as soon as the corrections are established.

~Brandon

Shaltif
09-29-2007, 11:16 AM
Please note that all bug information, in this post, has been tested on patch 1.1.4163 - English (American) Build. When new builds are present, I will try to update the information accordingly.

I ask that other users please test/confirm the following bugs. Once a bug has been confirmed on multiple systems, I ask that forum administration please forward this information to the development team for further evaluation.

List of confirmed bugs on my system:

-Saving or Loading Error-
Error: Loading a saved game (custom single player tested only) has missing graphics and/or unusual/missing game logic. Possible cause to related crash / BSOD bug below.

My Comments:
There appears to be an issue with how the game saves/loads it's content. I haven't determined exactly which is causing the problem, but I can inform you that this error started appearing since 1.1.4163.

The Error(s):
1. Saving a game while a tax or gold amount status message is displayed. The next time you load this save, this status message will never clear and additional gold increase/decrease status messages will continue to stack until the game lock's or BSOD's.
2. Loading a saved game does not show the knight in the loading screen that you saved with.
3. The knight's portrait during communication is missing.

Image showing errors 1 and 3:
http://www.shaltif.com/stuff/error/Settlers6_HotErrorsHighlightThumb.jpg (http://www.shaltif.com/stuff/error/Settlers6_HotErrorsHighlight.jpg)

Start a game until you have a few taxable businesses running. Once this is done, wait for a tax message to appear. At this moment, save the game. Reload this save and watch the tax errors begin.

To help debug this, I have already created a save showing this bug in action, all you have to do is load it up. It can be downloaded here:

Tax Error Saved Game File (http://www.shaltif.com/stuff/error/5_Mediterra.zip)
(WARNING: This bug may cause the game to crash or the entire computer to Blue Screen after running for 5-10 minutes. Load at your own risk.)

Work Arounds:
For the time being, you can avoid the gold stack error by saving only when no status window is on screen. I am unsure if this work around will fix the apparent crash issue involved with loading a saved game, but it appears to be ok from tests so far. The knight portrait is still missing.

Other Notes:
There are possibly other errors involved with this saving/loading system that are not visually apparent, causing crashing and even BSOD of the computer. Please continue reading below.

-Crashing issue with loaded and saving games-
Error: Loading or saving a game (custom single player tested only) can cause the computer to crash shortly after the action.

My Comments:
This is a bit more random which is making it harder to replicate. I usually get it to happen shortly after saving a game where a tax message is showing (usually about 10-60 seconds after saving) or randomly (10 seconds to 10 minutes) after loading a game (reguardless if the save has the above tax error or not). Crash results in a BSOD, thus I don't have any minidumps to show.

Uncertian. I can isolate it down to a loaded game or saving a game, but I haven't figured out exactly what is causing the crash itself since it appears to happen randomly, which makes me think it's an error in the game's logic after saving/loading a game action has been taken.

Work Arounds:
Don't use the save mechanisim in the game.

-Trail / Pathing Error causing game freeze-
Error: Sometimes creating a trail at certian positions on the map can cause the game to freeze.

My Comments:
I wish I could get this to repeat in a different case, but currently I only got this happen at a certian spot on one map. Making me wonder if the error is with the game's logic or map design.

Image showing the error:
http://www.shaltif.com/stuff/error/Settlers6_RoundFreezeHighlightThumb.jpg (http://www.shaltif.com/stuff/error/Settlers6_RoundFreezeHighlight.jpg)

Load up the saved game below. Then, try to connect a path exactly as I've shown in the image above (in front of outpost and snap to existing trail by gate). The game should freeze requiring an End Task.

Save can be downloaded here:
Trail Error Saved Game File (http://www.shaltif.com/stuff/error/6_Roundup.zip)
(WARNING: This save also contains the tax bug listed above and as such, may crash / BSOD your computer. Load at your own risk.)

Work Arounds:
Instead of making 1 large path, break it up into smaller segments

Other Notes:
This is more of an annoying error, but one I still wanted to point out. I haven't got this to error on other maps, but then again, I've been too busy fighting the save/loading error to really put much more resources into testing this one out. I believe it might be in the way the game does pathfinding logic for settlers, causing the game to hit an infinite loop lockup.

-Unable to scroll map-
Error: When a portrait is showing, the mouse cursor is unable to scroll the map at the bottom left corner.

My Comments:
Another annoying bug. When you have a portrait up, you can't scroll the map to the bottom left corner with the mouse.

Image showing the error:
http://www.shaltif.com/stuff/error/Settlers6_MouseScrollHighlightThumb.jpg (http://www.shaltif.com/stuff/error/Settlers6_MouseScrollHighlight.jpg)

Have a portrait displaying. While this is up, move your mouse to the bottom left corner (image above for reference). The map will not scroll like it would against other sides of the screen.

Work Arounds:
Try to keep the portrait display to a minimum. Alternatively, use the arrow keys to scroll the map instead.

Other Notes:
Interestingly enough, this error was in the demo. When I got retail (1.0.4140), this bug was seemingly fixed. However, patch 1.1.4163 has apparently re-introduced the error.

=================================

In Conclusion:

I have a few other bugs I am still testing and will share them once I get something that's a bit easier to replicate or identify the cause of them. Hopefully people can confirm these bugs so the development team can begin fixing these issues. For the time being, I found avoiding the save feature of the game (the normal one, haven't tested quick saving) seems to be the best way to avoid most of these issues. However, the game has a habit of crashing under different situations (such as the path bug mentioned, or a wall/tower bug I am currently investigating).

My System:

For Developers, here is my system configuration.

OS: Windows Vista Home Premium (English/American Build) 32-bit
Processor: ~3.0Ghz AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Dual Core (2 CPU's)
Video Card: EVGA 768MB nVidia GeForce 8800 Ultra
RAM: 2048MB (2 gig)

If you need any additional information, please feel free to ask.

Final Comment:
This is the first game I have ever had BSOD my machine, which I am assuming means something is seriously going wrong somewhere in this game. I highly recommend a hotfix be implimented as soon as the corrections are established.

~Brandon

EagleEye8121987
09-29-2007, 03:38 PM
Great post. Hope someone who can do something about it is reading this.

malahaas
09-29-2007, 04:36 PM
I am also experiencing most of the above errors, and running a similar machine as the op (but Core2Duo). However, I also get a "Failed to Save" error periodically, and it just seems to happen when I have been playing for awhile. Sometimes the game just crashes and says "Allocation Error" with no other description. (I assume this is Mem allocation, of which I have 2gigs). Anyone else getting these?

BB-Kohlmann
09-29-2007, 05:39 PM
Yep, great post, thanks - I will look for these problems, and see what can be done http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

About crashes there are also some logfiles and minidumps created by the game that may be very useful for us (Located in My Documents/Settlers Rise of an Empire/Temp/ Logs and Minidump).

Also when the system crashes with a Bluescreen of Death there are usually Minidumps created by Windows ( C:\WINDOWS\Minidump ).

bunyarra1
09-30-2007, 02:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by malahaas:
I am also experiencing most of the above errors, and running a similar machine as the op (but Core2Duo). However, I also get a "Failed to Save" error periodically, and it just seems to happen when I have been playing for awhile. Sometimes the game just crashes and says "Allocation Error" with no other description. (I assume this is Mem allocation, of which I have 2gigs). Anyone else getting these? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

100% the same here. Cannot complete scenario 5 due to this. Crashes every time at the end with "Allocation Error" and, during the last 3/4 of the game, can't save anything.

This game really cannot have been tested - just can't see how such a fundamental issue would not have been picked up.

Vista with Core 2 Duo and 2Gb RAM.

bunyarra1
09-30-2007, 04:28 AM
For those getting Allocation errors, try saving every 20 mins or so then exiting the game. Prevents the error occuring and allows campaigns to be completed.

Update : worked once and now causes game to crash every time to desktop. I give up on it. Too frustrating to play http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

vicm_4
09-30-2007, 06:08 AM
I think the important thing is to save when every icon is shut, as it is said above. Since I use this precaution, I never had anymore crash (crossing fingers!)

Dazmaster
10-02-2007, 12:38 PM
I have a similar problem, when I save a game, as soon as I click save, the computer restarts without warning, no BSOD or FSOD etc, just plain hard restarts!!

Grrr :P

LtRaven72
10-02-2007, 02:36 PM
Also getting the failed to save problem. In addition, once I am 'awarded' this error, the graphics slowly begin degrading until I am forced to quit. Once restarted, I am unable to load ANY saved game. When I attempt this thing, the screen comes up, there is a second or two of the graphics, then program dies. Terribly frustrating. Patch 1.1 installed. Am able to send logs and minidumps if necessary.

Vista 32bit Ultimate
Intel Core 2 - 6700@ 2.66GHZ
NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2
2GB RAM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by malahaas:
I am also experiencing most of the above errors, and running a similar machine as the op (but Core2Duo). However, I also get a "Failed to Save" error periodically, and it just seems to happen when I have been playing for awhile. Sometimes the game just crashes and says "Allocation Error" with no other description. (I assume this is Mem allocation, of which I have 2gigs). Anyone else getting these? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rendili
10-02-2007, 03:38 PM
I think i also get the save problem, or at least the PC crash problem started the 1st time i saved a game ever.

Was on mission 2, saved and the game and windows crashed and sound got stuck on, had to press reset button on pc.
launched game again, no saved game to load, started mission 2 from start, saved after promoting alandra, shortly after save, crashed in same way.
Reset button
Launch game, save game there, loaded save game
60 seconds into game, same crash
Reset button
Launch game, try mission 2 from start again (not loading saved game)
60 seconds into game, same crash.

No MiniDumps files
Have tried updating graphics drivers to latest after 2nd crash (Forceware 94.24 to 163.71)
have also tried lower sound quality and video settings (after 2nd crash)

Not tried game since, crashing is too annoying.

PC Spec :

Windows XP Pro SP2
P4 2.4GHz @ 533MHz
1GB RAM
Nvidia 7800GS AGP 256MB

citybuilder
10-02-2007, 05:18 PM
It's easy enough to confirm the scroll problem as I've done it multiple times so "CONFIRMED"!

Also note that it happens when trying to scroll and placing the mouse near to the minimap as well as the minimap also blocks from scrolling like the portraits do on the leftside, the minimap does on the right side.

Rendili
10-03-2007, 02:39 AM
Just tried the game again this morning.

Booted PC, logged in as a different user(Administrator)

Launched game and created profile using same choices as on original user

Made only 1 change to the options, changed the video resolution from default to 1280x1024 at 32bit as this is what desktop runs at.

Started new campaign, selected the man for the 1st mission

played it through did not save at any point

The moment the promotion button went green the game froze in exactly the same way as before

Left it for 25 mins and still frozen with sound stuck on, needed reset button on pc.

No save game used at all under that windows user or Settlers profile so i dont think my problem is related to saving/loading.

Game is unplayable in campaign at least, might try custom game

Steve1077
10-03-2007, 06:55 AM
Have you tried updating Directx? The game seems to run ok for me, other than the bugs mentioned above, the scroll thing can be a pain

jonty7
10-03-2007, 09:51 AM
I am really peeved about my game crashing to desktop when I try to build the soap maker, I have all the latest drivers running and have no problem with anyother game, Love the Settlers however thinking about sending this back to play.com, p.s. is it me or has no other settler game bettered the original Amiga Version says something for the quality of testing etc these days

Rendili
10-03-2007, 10:18 AM
During installation it said something about updating/installing directx
But, i downloaded the directx websetup from microsoft and ran it and it did say that my pc required 3mb ish of download.
I let this download and install and then i rebooted

Played the game again and this time it let me do mission 1 and more of mission 2 than i had seen before.
I got to the wool bit, had to go do something to pressed the menu button to pause, when i returned the game had frozen in the usual way.

Don't know whether the directx update let the game get further, or whether the game just took longer to get to the crash point.

Rendili
10-03-2007, 10:59 AM
No progress with the directx update

Now each time I play it goes for about a minute then freezes.

Have put video settings to minimum and still the same freezing

jonty7
10-03-2007, 01:56 PM
Ok I have solved my problem, I reinstalled however this time turned off my virus checker the game is running great now

Brief sytem setup for me is
Windows Vista 32
NVIDA GForce 8800 Ultra x 2 SLI 768mb each
AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 6000+
4gb Ram
Kaspersky Anti Virus Software

Rendili
10-03-2007, 03:33 PM
Have been trying out a custom game and it has worked flawlessly, played for a few hours non-stop (saved the game a few times too).

Maybe the crash problem is related only to campaign?

Rendili
10-04-2007, 11:20 AM
Crash is not only related to campaign only.

I was able to play custom game "Move On To Pastures New" from start to finish with zero errors/freezing/crashing and hours of game play.

I just tried to play custom game "Four Kingdoms" and within minutes the game and PC froze/crashed as before in the campaign, resulting in having to press the reset button on the pc.

Anyone have any ideas on what may cause this?

zy1980core
10-04-2007, 12:57 PM
You should post all of this information on the Bug Topic Thread so the game can get patched.

jonty7
10-04-2007, 02:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zy1980core:
You should post all of this information on the Bug Topic Thread so the game can get patched. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe pal but come on this is not the best forum to navigate people here are just deperate to know how to get the game working and looked at the top levels not our fault if Ubisoft are too lazy too look at all the forums, lets pretend that even if some of us own great machines we all don't know about changing this and that setting and expect a game to run after you install it !

bunyarra1
10-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Another nasty one today : A stonemason got stuck wanting food. Loads.. I mean really loads available - but could not free this settler from his hunger. Had to abandon game (could not save despite no menus open as well .. grrrr )