PDA

View Full Version : Grey Wolves

iccalm1932
09-21-2006, 08:15 PM
Had to abandon this great mod due to the damage model. Three perfect torpedo hits on a large cargo and it would not sink after 5 hours, SH3 also "no guns rough water" on a millpond.
The Titanic went down faster.
Anybody can tell me how to change that damage model and I'm back.

iccalm1932
09-21-2006, 08:15 PM
Had to abandon this great mod due to the damage model. Three perfect torpedo hits on a large cargo and it would not sink after 5 hours, SH3 also "no guns rough water" on a millpond.
The Titanic went down faster.
Anybody can tell me how to change that damage model and I'm back.

hueywolf123
09-21-2006, 08:49 PM
You do realise, that in real life, several shipsdid not sink after several torpedo hits. It all depends upon where you aim them. Go to U-boat.net, and read up on this. There was one tanker that after 5 hits, was still only damaged

tuddley3
09-21-2006, 09:01 PM
This is why I choose to run UBWA instead of GW's. I think GW's is best for skilled Kaleuns and not novices. Although , I do see some Newbies doing GW's just fine (such as Sonicboom), I guess my learning curve is longer than most.

I'm still learning manual targeting and such , so I'm sure once I've got more time under my belt, I'll be ready for GWX.

Goose_Green
09-21-2006, 09:16 PM
I'm not sure about the skilled or unskilled Kaleuns theory.

I admit it GW is far more challenging than stock or IUB, but really it's what you want out of the playing experience that really counts.

I have played the game in stock and IUB mode and I just felt I had accomplished what I wanted out of it at the time. I feel GW raised the level a bit higher so the game was a challenge once again. I guess the next bar will be the NYGM Tonnage War which is far more difficult than Grey Wolves.

Yes, the damage model is a real pain in the back side, and at times and you do feel slightly robbed and miffed after expending up to 7 torpedoes on one ship and the ship still fails to sink. But remember, you could encounter another ship of the same type later on and only expend 1 or 2 torpedoes. As the documentation clearly states - it (the damage model) adds far more chance to the game making it far more challenging.

If you like the eye candy but would rather a simpler simulation try the IUB mod - I used it for nearly 6 months and I enjoyed every patrol.

hueywolf123
09-21-2006, 11:35 PM
Yeah, I agree with goose. I forgot to mention, I had one patrol where two tramps cost me all my fish, the next patrol I hit an armed cruiser and sank her with two, sank two tramps with one each and sank a tanker with one.
Sometimes you're lucky, sometimes you're not. That is the random damage feature at work

iccalm1932
09-22-2006, 04:24 AM
Thanx for your reasoned responses. Maybe I'm just too impatient. I did some research. USS Indianapolis sunk in 12 minutes from 2 torpedos,
Other sinkings varied all over. Cerman periscope films show rapid sinking. Guess they didnt carry enough film for 5 hours http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I tried IUB but just too blah.
Soooo Back to GW the beautiful parts outweigh the personal annoyance.

Eoweth
09-22-2006, 08:41 AM
You mentioned "perfect" torpedo hits. Do you mean two center hits? If so, all that's doing in Grey Wolves is flooding and already flooded zone.

To have perfect hits with GW, you'd want one to hit center at the propulsion or fuel to slow them down. Then the second one to hit elsewhere to help that part of the ship sink.

In heavy seas I like to try for two hits on the bow and forward seconds both. That way, as it moves forward into the waves the huge gaping hole in the front fills faster and down she goes!

AVGWarhawk
09-22-2006, 10:17 AM
Yes, hit as many parts of the hull as you can. Sometimes just two hit and the ship will go down but it will take some time. Other times it is one hit only! GW is awesome

sonicboom197356
09-22-2006, 04:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tuddley3:
This is why I choose to run UBWA instead of GW's. I think GW's is best for skilled Kaleuns and not novices. Although , I do see some Newbies doing GW's just fine (such as Sonicboom), I guess my learning curve is longer than most.

I'm still learning manual targeting and such , so I'm sure once I've got more time under my belt, I'll be ready for GWX. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

charmin lol

tuddley3
09-22-2006, 06:16 PM
Sonic , have you looked at your Post Count recently. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif WOW. Your catching me in a hurry. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

And yes , I do applaud you my friend , the way you soak things up like a sponge. Good job.

sonicboom197356
09-22-2006, 06:18 PM
heh thanks, just had the best patrol ever!! 70k...a illistrus carrier...auxilliar carrier....2 troop carriers...and a random t2...wooot all in scarpa flow

tuddley3
09-22-2006, 06:37 PM
Right arm http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

comanderFritz
09-22-2006, 07:57 PM
I do UBWA because it has great ship selection

Syxx_Killer_05
09-22-2006, 09:11 PM
The damage model is being completely redone for the next major release of Grey Wolves. Currently, GW uses the NYGM damage model. The new damage model will be improved.

Fritz_Newbhoff
09-22-2006, 11:37 PM
Yah I was going to ask about the sinking time. I just figured it was a more acurate model while running TGW mod.

I never even completed one patrol before I modded my SH3.

Sure it can be annoying but I have to admit that is seems realistic, that unless you hit fuel, or explosive cargo that it could take hours for a ship to sink.

I try and hold it to two fish a ship, unless I get really bored with shadowing the ship and waiting for it to sink.

I hate rough seas! but just becasue I can blast it with my deck gun does not make it sink much faster at times.

Got to love those one hit split the ship in two shots though.

Can't imagine running without TGW mod though so I guess I will just be patient. LOL

One thing that is kind of annoying is that merchants can shoot at me with their deck guns in rough seas, but I guess their decks are not 1 meter above sea level. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

iccalm1932
09-23-2006, 08:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You mentioned "perfect" torpedo hits. Do you mean two center hits? If so, all that's doing in Grey Wolves is flooding and already flooded zone.

To have perfect hits with GW, you'd want one to hit center at the propulsion or fuel to slow them down. Then the second one to hit elsewhere to help that part of the ship sink.

In heavy seas I like to try for two hits on the bow and forward seconds both. That way, as it moves forward into the waves the huge gaping hole in the front fills faster and down she goes! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I meant pewrfect 90 deg angle and inside 1000m.