PDA

View Full Version : New Gameplay Info (CVG Article)

Ghost477
05-31-2007, 05:41 PM
"In game terms, two long years have passed since Sam last saved the world in Double Agent, and he's spent his days since living alone, chopping wood in a manly fashion and generally sulking about the place. But, as you'd expect, trouble soon arrives at his cabin door and - before he can even think about cultivating his beard any further - he's heading back to the government for a spot of 'slippery business'. Or at least he would have been, were it not for the fact that the modern day Third Echelon is all tied up in red tape and bureaucracy, Sam seems to have pissed everyone off... and gone rogue... and become an enemy of the state. Urgh. What a day."

This is the best SCC article i've ever read, with plenty of information about the game.

Link to article:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=165073

Ghost477
05-31-2007, 05:41 PM
"In game terms, two long years have passed since Sam last saved the world in Double Agent, and he's spent his days since living alone, chopping wood in a manly fashion and generally sulking about the place. But, as you'd expect, trouble soon arrives at his cabin door and - before he can even think about cultivating his beard any further - he's heading back to the government for a spot of 'slippery business'. Or at least he would have been, were it not for the fact that the modern day Third Echelon is all tied up in red tape and bureaucracy, Sam seems to have pissed everyone off... and gone rogue... and become an enemy of the state. Urgh. What a day."

This is the best SCC article i've ever read, with plenty of information about the game.

Link to article:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=165073

Knot3D
05-31-2007, 06:14 PM
Thanx for the info.

The thing which bugs me, is that the interview/article doesn't give the faintest hint
towards disguises.

Does that mean, Sam is going to look like a homeless bum the whole game, in every situation ?

I know, Hitman's disguise system wasn't all that realistic, but in a way it makes alot more sense to remain unidentified and unsuspicious.

If the bob hairdo and beard remain on in the whole game as well, that's like asking for an increased chance of mugshot identification.

Disguises, might save this game...

MKCC14
05-31-2007, 06:20 PM
Is there any SC game out there where Sam didnt change clothes? No, so stop worrying about it.

EDIT: Listen to this: "Too many 'big' distractions can lead to police locking down the area, evacuating civilians and calling in Third Echelon agents - heavily armed government nuts who know exactly what Sam looks like and how to fight him. Playing Conviction without crowd cover is like playing Chaos Theory with the lights on."

<span class="ev_code_RED">Holy ****, that sounds serious.</span> http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

"throwing a computer monitor at the enemies that break down the door."

<span class="ev_code_RED">This caught my attention too, enemies can even break down the door even after you barricade yourself in that room.</span>

" It's already looking so good that Microsoft decided to drive a big truck full of money up to Ubisoft's door to secure it as an exclusive for the 360 and Vista, something that has worked out very nicely indeed for the team."

<span class="ev_code_RED">Wow I guess people were right when they said M$ paid Ubi a ****load of money to make it exclusive.</span>

Knot3D
05-31-2007, 06:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MKCC14:
No, so stop worrying about it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You were thinking ' stop whining about it '.

Anyway, you are missing my point bigtime.

Sam had different outfits in previous games, because of insertion method (although logic consistency wasn't always clear) :

- black ninja diving suit in missions where Sam would infiltrate/exfiltrate via water.

- sand coloured outfit in Kinshasha

- etc.

I am talking about actual DISGUISES. Yes, dressing up according to what blends into current environment. We see Sam in clean
office buildings. Disguises help the coherency & credibility of the new gameplay system.

Or is each mission going to be in such a hurry-hit & run style that disguises are no option ? If that's the case, this game's
gonna be, indeed, a HIT & RUN game

Sir_Jams
05-31-2007, 06:53 PM
Awsome find! I didn't know that the game would be exclusively for the Xbox 360 and Vista. That's great! With that information, Montreal can make a better game, worrying only about the awsome features of the 360 (and of course PC). I'm so happy!!!!

braiog
05-31-2007, 07:27 PM
Wait til you see some kind of PCL announced for the game. As it stands right now, if PCL means ANY kind of segregation of content/ability for Silver level members, I simply will not buy the game.

Doogsy1
05-31-2007, 09:47 PM
Knot why are you even worried? Pretty much every post of yours I've read since Conviction was announced has ended with something like 'well I certainly won't be buying this' or 'Ubi just lost a customer with me and many more to come'.

Knot3D
05-31-2007, 10:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sanctuary5:
Knot why are you even worried? Pretty much every post of yours I've read since Conviction was announced has ended with something like 'well I certainly won't be buying this' or 'Ubi just lost a customer with me and many more to come'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I post my opinions, to voice them to the game developers and fellow gamers. Ferland's interview seemingly suggested it as well ; fan feedback might bring back vintage SC.

Even if my opinions might be 180 degrees opposite of others, they should be heard...and that's what these forums are for ; to voice out about the games i actually care about (care ; as in ; being passionate about it and thus willing to spend money and leisure time on it, IF the game is really to my liking.)

Doogsy1
06-01-2007, 12:24 AM
too bad the devs don't read the forums lol. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

capteenix
06-01-2007, 04:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MKCC14:
Is there any SC game out there where Sam didnt change clothes? No, so stop worrying about it.

EDIT: Listen to this: "Too many 'big' distractions can lead to police locking down the area, evacuating civilians and calling in Third Echelon agents - heavily armed government nuts who know exactly what Sam looks like and how to fight him. Playing Conviction without crowd cover is like playing Chaos Theory with the lights on."

<span class="ev_code_RED">Holy ****, that sounds serious.</span> http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

"throwing a computer monitor at the enemies that break down the door."

<span class="ev_code_RED">This caught my attention too, enemies can even break down the door even after you barricade yourself in that room.</span>

" It's already looking so good that Microsoft decided to drive a big truck full of money up to Ubisoft's door to secure it as an exclusive for the 360 and Vista, something that has worked out very nicely indeed for the team."

<span class="ev_code_RED">Wow I guess people were right when they said M$ paid Ubi a ****load of money to make it exclusive.</span> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Three Things:

1. Shouldn't The Third Echelon be so secret that even Cops don't know About them? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif Last time I checked, There is no such think as Third Echelon Operative. If there is, then heck , why did we worked So Hard being unnoticed and gave all the credits to US Army in Sc1, SCPT and SCCT?

2. Vista Exclusive? uh, yeaaaah. You know? What about XP Users? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

3. TIME limit!!!??? NOOOOOOOO! I freaking Hate Time limits! I want to take my time when doing something.

slit1neck2speed
06-01-2007, 06:48 AM
60 by 15 = 900 divide it by 15 which brings a total of 15 hours of gameplay. And capteenix the 15 minute time limit doesent sound so bad. How long did it take you to complete a mission in past splinter cells. It usually took me about 15 minutes. You really must've been taking your time http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif.

Release_15
06-01-2007, 06:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">3. TIME limit!!!??? NOOOOOOOO! I freaking Hate Time limits! I want to take my time when doing something. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I loved 'em on 360, during the HQ missions.
Those levels just plain rocked imo.

Great article. Looks like Conviction might turn out to be quite the innovation in gameland.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> 60 by 15 = 900 divide it by 15 which brings a total of 15 hours of gameplay. And capteenix the 15 minute time limit doesent sound so bad. How long did it take you to complete a mission in past splinter cells. It usually took me about 15 minutes. You really must've been taking your time </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
So did I. I always took the stealthiest approach, so that takes trial and error. Plus, it takes you longer to finish the game. That's what I've always loved about previous SC's: the pacing. Looks like it's about to change. But I don't mind, as long as this 'chaos surfing/social stealth/...' mechanic works well...
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I post my opinions, to voice them to the game developers and fellow gamers. Ferland's interview seemingly suggested it as well ; fan feedback might bring back vintage SC. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
By all means, keep trying for SC6. But plz don't start a petition to turn this game into light/dark gameplay. That's just lame...
Lol in all honesty, I hope SC6 is developed by Shanghai, regardless of gameplay. Hopefully by SC7, a lot of people will have jumped ship, and new customers will have made up for their lack of purchase. I sincerely hope the profit machine runs like it's supposed to. This game deserves a chance, not a cross imo...
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I know, Hitman's disguise system wasn't all that realistic, but in a way it makes alot more sense to remain unidentified and unsuspicious. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't think they'd go that far. Besides, Hitman's system is a little dated. I'm looking to Conviction now to improve upon Hitman's cover/crowd mechanic. It's not like the New Orleans level was oozing AI...
But I'm definitely betting on new outfits every once in a while. It is still SC, after all.
Regardless of what some people say.

Doogsy1
06-01-2007, 07:43 AM
I'm sure there wont be time limits on most levels.

Chinese_Bookey
06-01-2007, 07:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Release_15:
But I'm definitely betting on new outfits every once in a while. It is still SC, after all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree, especially after he rejoins Third Echelon in the beginning. I doubt NSA wants their spies to dress like hobos (bad for their rep).

There is time for hoboing later...

Release_15
06-01-2007, 08:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
I agree, especially after he rejoins Third Echelon in the beginning. I doubt NSA wants their spies to dress like hobos (bad for their rep).

There is time for hoboing later... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Lol maybe you'll be able to sell your OPSAT at a pawn house.
Then tear the whole building apart when the guy refuses to pay you.
SAM: "Next you tell somebody they smell like a trash can, check their face against a wanted poster."

insanity76
06-01-2007, 08:56 AM
Great article Ghost http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif Thanks for posting it. I can't wait to get my hands on this one. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The team admit that their Christmas release is 'ambitious' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They can say that again http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif I'd love to be playing Conviction over the holidays, but I sure as hell don't expect that to happen.

capteenix
06-01-2007, 10:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by slit1neck2speed:
60 by 15 = 900 divide it by 15 which brings a total of 15 hours of gameplay. And capteenix the 15 minute time limit doesent sound so bad. How long did it take you to complete a mission in past splinter cells. It usually took me about 15 minutes. You really must've been taking your time http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No I meant some specific timing to hack the servers until Mercenaries destroy them. imagine your time being less than 5 minutes. It's just a rush