PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Demo Download for Mac

dacart
10-10-2004, 11:18 AM
I have bought Myst IV for the Mac) but I thought it would be fun to get a preview with the demo. Unfortuantely the demo appears to only have the elements needed for the PC version.

Am I missing something or dies the download not have the necessary elements for a Mac install?

maztec
10-10-2004, 02:54 PM
There's a seperate mac demo somewhere, not entirely sure where off hand though.

ticked_off
10-10-2004, 10:09 PM
Don't even bother. especially since the game doesn't even work on most eMacs. Yes I know the package says it does. But really. don't bother buying it. I'm a huge myst fan, but UBI managed to lose my dollar on this one.

maztec
10-11-2004, 12:33 AM
ticked_off, I would like it if you would please change your screen name. It's doing you no favors.

As for your current state of opinion, it's not their fault that you have a system below the minimum specifications for playing their game, which is quite well written on the back of the box.

On the other hand bugs always appear after a game is released. In fact it's far from unusual for PC games not to have bugs. While console games have bugs they aren't as prevalent since it is a closed hardware platform -- unlike the common desktop which has hundreds of thousands if not millions of potential working configurations. Now, taking that all into consideration -- it's entirely likely that there will be a bug they miss. In this case they used a different version of the Radeon 7x00 drivers than most people are using -- and didn't experience problems. At least on the limited number of systems they ably tested it on. Now, hopefully they can recreate this problem -- which you should send them a message about with information about your system contained in it -- rather than crying wolf on the forums. Once they can recreate it they can either recommend an alternative version of drivers to fix this problem -- or they can patch the game to fix it, if that's even possible. Lets hope it's easy enough to do the latter.

Also, it's entirely likely that this person has something other than an eMac.

TheNotSoTickedOffExceptAtPeopleWhoHaveToKeepPointi ngOutTheyAreTickedOffMaztec

dacart
10-11-2004, 06:41 AM
LOL,
ticked_off, heed the advice of our moderator here and take a chill pill. Then go through exactly what the problems are (other than the generic "It doesn't f!*^&ing work!".) Put them in a list and send them to Ubisoft with a polite but firm note saying that you have been a long time fan of Myst and you feel that it should work on your system and you would like some sort of explanation as to why it's not working on your eMac (if it IS an older eMac you just might have to face the fact that you don't have the horsepower for the game... but we're getting ahead of ourselves) If they treat you in a cavalier manner then maybe you have a reason to be PO'd but until and unless they do I would, at the risk of making this a political discussion, try more diplomacy and less peremptory attacks.

Maztec, OK, Where's the G.D. Mac demo...WELL...! (ahem, sorry, lost my head...)

Oh, and BTW I have a dual 2gig G5 so I'll let you know if I have a problem.

Dan

maztec
10-11-2004, 03:22 PM
let me see..

Apparently this is both Mac and PC:

ftp://ftp.ubi.com/emea/myst4/demo/MIV_demo.zip

ticked_off
10-11-2004, 04:40 PM
Well, I guess I feel it should work on my eMac because well, it does meet the specified requirements. Like you had mentioned, consoles rarely have bugs due to being a closed system. The mac is as close to a closed system pc as you can get. I'm going to stop now, I could really rant on this.

As far as this users demo not working. I suggest trying to run the demo as root, or if familiar with the command line, do a chmod 755 to myst.app as well as the contents.

maztec
10-11-2004, 06:11 PM
And if you have a Radeon 7x00 card try this:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=580100736&m=9951097522

Should work for the Demo Also. I'm pushing for them to update the Demo to include the patches they'll release for the full version, so that the Demo is reflective of the abilities of the complete game.

LooseeJ
10-11-2004, 06:23 PM
I, too, wanted a "preview" with the demo before buying the game and after downloading found that it would not run, appearing to have only PC files. I went looking on the 'net and found a solution: Simply open your downloaded .zip file with Stuffit instead of letting the MacOS default "unstuffer" do it. Worked perfectly for me after that. This is a quote, "<Mister knows it all>
posted Mon September 13 2004 05:10

There is an easier way:

OSX auto-unpack as soon as the zip file has downloaded. Delete this unpacked folder. Open the zip file with stuffit and extract the files to a folder in your application folder."

sriggins
10-13-2004, 11:42 AM
The problem with the download is that Panther's unzipper screws up the bundle somehow. Not sure how Ubisoft compressed it, as this never happens to me.

if you use Stuffit Expander to unzip the demo archive, it works fine.