PDA

View Full Version : Speculation & Discussion: What do you think is the artefact under Masyaf?

Rakudaton
06-05-2011, 11:15 AM
**ALERT!! MINOR SPOILERS IN MY POST, THOUGH FOLLOWING POSTS MAY CONTAIN MAJOR SPOILERS. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!**

Now that's out of the way...

For anyone who doesn't know yet, in Assassin's Creed: Revelations, Ezio journeys to Masyaf to learn more about the Order -- but he finds the once-headquarters of their order overrun by Templars seeking a mysterious artefact underneath the castle. The artefact can only be accessed using five "seals" once held by Altair. Ezio goes searching for these seals in a race against his Templar buddies.

What do you think is this artefact under Masyaf?

We know it's NOT:

-> Ezio's Apple of Eden: this was placed in the colosseum vault and left untouched until Desmond retrieved it (though the timeline is a little ambiguous, with Subject 16 claiming some people used the same apple AFTER Ezio. Probably just an oversight).

-> The Staff: this was sealed under the Vatican, next to the vault.

-> The Shroud of Turin: this was once under Monteriggioni and retrieved by Mario Auditore; therefore Altair could not have sealed it under Masyaf.

-> The Sword of Eden: this was supposed to have been wielded by Joanne of Arc, who I believe lived in the early 15th century -- so it would have to have been simultaneously sealed under Masyaf AND in the possession of Joanne.

Now to what it COULD be. I think we can assume it is, if not an actual piece of Eden, at least something very similar -- though I suspect it IS a piece of Eden. It's unlikely to be one of the other Apples; Ubi would be unwise to limit themselves by just showing us what we've already seen. So hopefully we get to see a new piece of Eden!

My own predictions: seeing as we know that Desmond has to find the "nexus" of his, Ezio's, and Altair's lives, I reckon this nexus will be revealed when Ezio finally gets all five seals and goes underneath Masyaf. I think the artefact will somehow reveal to Altair, him and Desmond how their lives cross. Someone has speculated that the "sixth sense" mentioned by Juno is the ability to recall all memories from your ancestors by yourself -- "knowledge", as she calls it. Eagle Vision/Sense could be a watered-down version -- the assassins have superhuman intuition because they have the benefit of being partially able to subconsciously access memories of their ancestors. Ezio touching the artefact could unlock "knowledge" for him and Desmond, resulting in Desmond locating the nexus by recalling his ancestors' lives and thus waking up. This would justify Juno making him stab Lucy -- he had to go into a coma and "awaken the sixth [sense]", because otherwise he would not have explored Ezio's Masyaf memories.

Thoughts?

Rakudaton
06-05-2011, 11:15 AM
**ALERT!! MINOR SPOILERS IN MY POST, THOUGH FOLLOWING POSTS MAY CONTAIN MAJOR SPOILERS. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!**

Now that's out of the way...

For anyone who doesn't know yet, in Assassin's Creed: Revelations, Ezio journeys to Masyaf to learn more about the Order -- but he finds the once-headquarters of their order overrun by Templars seeking a mysterious artefact underneath the castle. The artefact can only be accessed using five "seals" once held by Altair. Ezio goes searching for these seals in a race against his Templar buddies.

What do you think is this artefact under Masyaf?

We know it's NOT:

-> Ezio's Apple of Eden: this was placed in the colosseum vault and left untouched until Desmond retrieved it (though the timeline is a little ambiguous, with Subject 16 claiming some people used the same apple AFTER Ezio. Probably just an oversight).

-> The Staff: this was sealed under the Vatican, next to the vault.

-> The Shroud of Turin: this was once under Monteriggioni and retrieved by Mario Auditore; therefore Altair could not have sealed it under Masyaf.

-> The Sword of Eden: this was supposed to have been wielded by Joanne of Arc, who I believe lived in the early 15th century -- so it would have to have been simultaneously sealed under Masyaf AND in the possession of Joanne.

Now to what it COULD be. I think we can assume it is, if not an actual piece of Eden, at least something very similar -- though I suspect it IS a piece of Eden. It's unlikely to be one of the other Apples; Ubi would be unwise to limit themselves by just showing us what we've already seen. So hopefully we get to see a new piece of Eden!

My own predictions: seeing as we know that Desmond has to find the "nexus" of his, Ezio's, and Altair's lives, I reckon this nexus will be revealed when Ezio finally gets all five seals and goes underneath Masyaf. I think the artefact will somehow reveal to Altair, him and Desmond how their lives cross. Someone has speculated that the "sixth sense" mentioned by Juno is the ability to recall all memories from your ancestors by yourself -- "knowledge", as she calls it. Eagle Vision/Sense could be a watered-down version -- the assassins have superhuman intuition because they have the benefit of being partially able to subconsciously access memories of their ancestors. Ezio touching the artefact could unlock "knowledge" for him and Desmond, resulting in Desmond locating the nexus by recalling his ancestors' lives and thus waking up. This would justify Juno making him stab Lucy -- he had to go into a coma and "awaken the sixth [sense]", because otherwise he would not have explored Ezio's Masyaf memories.

Thoughts?

AMuppetMatt
06-05-2011, 12:40 PM
As this nexus point is linking past present and future it could be the same or similar PoE that was used in the Philadelphia project? It was mentioned in AC1 that the Templars had it but I can't remember what form it took. Maybe it is the same (in which case the Templars simply misunderstood the PoE's ability and power) or similar in that it creates this nexus?

RussellSparrow
06-05-2011, 12:40 PM
I'm thinking Animus. The information it could provide would make the owning side a forcd to be reckoned with. After all, it's an Animus which leafs the Templars to all those Pieces of Eden.
Also it ties in with the whole 'Alligning Destinies' thing, Desmond can look back at Ezio and Altair, Altair could use a Piece of Eden to see Ezio and Desmond and Ezio could use one of each to see Altair and Desmond resulting in some pretty mind-blowing revelations!

AMuppetMatt
06-05-2011, 12:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RussellSparrow:
I'm thinking Animus.The information it could provide would make the owning side a forcd to be reckoned with. After all, it's an Animus which leafs the Templars to all those Pieces of Eden.
Also it ties in with the whole 'Alligning Destinies' thing, Desmond can look back at Ezio and Altair, Altair could use a Piece of Eden to see Ezio and Desmond and Ezio could use one of each to see Altair and Desmond resulting in some pretty mind-blowing revelations! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mind fudge...

Inorganic9_2
06-06-2011, 05:11 AM
Also, why would you need seals to get to it? If it's locked away, surely all you'd need to do is break down the door/whatever. Unless there's some sort of password needed (contained in the seal) and any attempts to get to it without the password would damage the artefact (like the whole vinegar vial in the scroll case thing in the Da Vinci Code http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

[also, where's my sig gone? :s]

oOAltairOo
06-06-2011, 05:26 AM
I don't know what artefact will be hidden under the castle, probably a PoE like others suggested. But i believe Alta´r's tomb will be there. (If he is dead..)

lukaszep
06-06-2011, 06:19 AM
I thought it was a weapon? I read somewhere that Altair said it was a weapon that would end the conflict...

Will_Lucky
06-06-2011, 07:51 AM
I wonder if its something to do with Genghis Kahn, Altair suspected he had a Piece of Eden and went with his sons to Assassinate him (Although I'm sure the Assassin who got him was a Villa Seal).

I do wonder though what piece of Eden it is, we know there are five apples. Why not 5 Swords? or Staffs, its a possibility one of them is under Masyaf.

Avva Mapia
06-06-2011, 08:22 AM
Maybe a clue about the Holy Grail? I don't believe the templars/abstergo would just give up the search for that.

And I still think it's suspicious that so little was told about Adha.

florisz1990
06-06-2011, 08:30 AM
Jupiter.

AMuppetMatt
06-06-2011, 10:24 AM
Just had a thought.

As we all know in AC1 we go off and get the apple for Al Mualim. If I'm not much mistaken it was sitting on top of a little piece of useless metal called the Ark of the Covenant, which for some reason everyone seemed to ignore. Maybe this is the "animus" technology or PO that's been buried?

twenty_glyphs
06-06-2011, 10:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AMuppetMatt:
Just had a thought.

As we all know in AC1 we go off and get the apple for Al Mualim. If I'm not much mistaken it was sitting on top of a little piece of useless metal called the Ark of the Covenant, which for some reason everyone seemed to ignore. Maybe this is the "animus" technology or PO that's been buried? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the reason is that the Apple was the real power behind the Ark of the Covenant, it was just stored in the ornamental piece on top. The box itself was probably just for show and nothing of importance.

I could see the Animus being what's hidden in Masyaf, but the Game Informer article said if the Templars get it they will be able to beat the Assassins. As powerful as the Animus can be, I don't see how it would let the Templars beat the Assassins outright without years of work, like Abstergo has been doing in the 20th and 21st centuries. They also don't seem to have gotten a hold of it 500 years in the past, but only at some point in the 1980s.

The Assassins also don't seem like they know much about the Animus until very late in the game. In The Fall #3 when Daniel Cross meets the Mentor in the year 2000, the Mentor knows about genetic memory and says that theoretically there is technology that would let a person read the memories. He could have been being coy and not revealing to Daniel yet that they have it, but I just didn't get that impression. Plus, all of the Assassin Animus technology in the games seems to come from smuggled pieces of Abstergo's version. It seems like Abstergo's Animus is simply a reverse-engineering of how some of the First Civilization technology already works, like the Seals Ezio will need to unlock whatever is hidden in Masyaf.