PDA

View Full Version : Need input for a friend.

Angelusjc
07-16-2010, 02:44 PM
I have a friend who organizes a monthly Rock Band competition night at the bar he works at in SF.

This friend posts in Facebook, Twitter, and in various forums on the web like Something Awful and the Rock Band forums. He also posts flyers at local colleges too but for the life of him he can't seem to get more than 12-18 people to come out for it and at least 10 of those people are his friends. So what he and I are wondering is short of actually buying advertising, how else can someone get the word out to people because it seems he's done all he could do to promote the event.

Angelusjc
07-16-2010, 02:44 PM
I have a friend who organizes a monthly Rock Band competition night at the bar he works at in SF.

This friend posts in Facebook, Twitter, and in various forums on the web like Something Awful and the Rock Band forums. He also posts flyers at local colleges too but for the life of him he can't seem to get more than 12-18 people to come out for it and at least 10 of those people are his friends. So what he and I are wondering is short of actually buying advertising, how else can someone get the word out to people because it seems he's done all he could do to promote the event.

l337pino
07-16-2010, 03:40 PM
Your friend is just not communicating to the right circle of friends. Instead of just spamming flyers, he should approach the clubs on campus that are more likely to show interest in this kind of stuff (video game clubs, anime clubs, sci-fi / fantasy clubs, etc.). I know there are a bunch of schools in the Bay area.

He might also want to try to just make it a Rock Band social with some drink specials rather than go for a competition (which might seem too hardcore to some people). I would think that something like $5 pitchers of beer and free Rock Band would sound amazing.

pugjared
07-16-2010, 03:45 PM
Patience. If the event runs long enough it will allow word of mouth to act.

Provide current participants incentives to bring more people to the competition. I don't know the legality, but perhaps a coupon for a free drink when they bring a new person, or something of this nature?

I also like Pino's idea of a Rock Band social. Very slick.

shrubbinator
07-16-2010, 06:43 PM
To be honest, (at least in club related stuff), advertising on forums isn't really going to get you alot anywhere (most of the time). Unless theres a designated forum for the event or club or forums that are strictly local, generally forums arn't the best way to go (unless its an online competition).

Gernerally the best way is word of mouth, if he knows anyone at the unis make sure he gets his friends to spread the word. Another good way I've found worked was posters - generally the uni has a policy about taking posters down in half a day, so you generally have to stick them in compleatly random places - where there are no other posters, toilets are also really good since you can spend a long time looking at that.

Another way that worked really well is I managed to convince one of my friends to let me make a super hero outfit of the posters I recived and then got him to hand out flyers while I filmed it. That was probably the fastest I've had 400 flyers get handed out - it was amazing, we even had people coming up and hugging him / taking photos with him. (it also won me a hd2 from microsoft :3)

Just a note on advertising - make sure your friend spends the extra dollars in printing them in colour - and making sure they're a good (but funny) ad. On the Advertising, if there are any prizes worth more then $100, make sure he advertises them FIRST.

If he does manage to get friendly with some of the unis AND OR club owners, he could make it a competition against the two unis for 1 month - which even though would have alot target audience, you'd still have quite a few people rocking up to support their uni or club.

Pino's idea is also really good!

Ninja Kn1ght
07-16-2010, 07:04 PM
1. Make a poster of hot chicks playing rock band
2. Put the date on the poster
3 ???
4 profit

ch0me
07-17-2010, 07:32 AM
Haaaaahahaha, posting on SA is NOT going to get people to come to his event. Unless you bribe the goons with Cheetos and Mountain Dew. Tell him to do that next time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Also, tell him to just keep on trucking - word of mouth is the best form of advertising in my opinion, so if he is consistent with having this competition every month, maybe each of those 18 people that come will tell 3 of their friends, and they'll come next month and then tell 3 of their friends about it, etc.

z0mbieMUFFinz
07-17-2010, 12:27 PM
An amazing place to post is college bulletin boards. A lot of places requite you to just check in at the office and show them what you are posting but they don't care what's posted as long as it's appropriate.

Starbucks always has a call board that anything can be posted on.

also Any theatre's [ stage performance.. type places ]. Have a green board that actors look at daily for new jobs and exciting things to do!

Broasaurus_Rex
07-19-2010, 02:01 PM
pino is right.

social networking works only if the people that need to see it, do.

ERRRskate151
07-19-2010, 02:12 PM
incentive is a big a help. hold a small competition or something. like which ever band gets the highest score of the night gets a free open bar for an hour. since its not exactly high stakes competition, people shouldn't be hung up on rules and guidelines. I mean, its a ****ing bar. It will create incentive to have people come and keep try to get some free booze.

UbiFan20037
07-20-2010, 05:33 PM
How about the Bay Guardian and/or the SF Weekly? I think they used to have free events listings for stuff like that. The Chronicle and Examiner used to have free community events listings as well for stuff like book clubs and Magic the Gathering get-togethers

Craig's List has an events sections under the community category.

You should be able to advertise in all of these for free. I'm sure there are others as well, but since I haven't lived there for a number of years, I don't know what's sprung up since I've been gone.

Angelusjc
07-20-2010, 08:03 PM
Well the incentive so far is the winners of the competition get a 50 dollar tab to drinks and food at the place. One of the main challenges though is the owner will only have Rock Band night on a sunday and only once a month. The other challenge is that even though the 12-18 people who usually come in for free play and competition bring in an additional 500+ dollars to the place itself, the owner wont spend to promote unless that number gets almost doubled.

It's a pretty fun event regardless. There's no entry fee or anything, but getting people out on a sunday and promoting an event when it's just a gamer chef and his friends who have zero marketing experience is a bit tough. But he definitely appreciates the suggestions so far.

l337pino
07-21-2010, 12:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Angelusjc:
Well the incentive so far is the winners of the competition get a 50 dollar tab to drinks and food at the place. One of the main challenges though is the owner will only have Rock Band night on a sunday and only once a month. The other challenge is that even though the 12-18 people who usually come in for free play and competition bring in an additional 500+ dollars to the place itself, the owner wont spend to promote unless that number gets almost doubled.

It's a pretty fun event regardless. There's no entry fee or anything, but getting people out on a sunday and promoting an event when it's just a gamer chef and his friends who have zero marketing experience is a bit tough. But he definitely appreciates the suggestions so far. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You guys are just not working the incentive right. Let me give you an example. A local bar/pizzeria hosts a regular Beer Bingo night near me. People play for free to win tickets that offer everything from "Free Large Pizza and Pitcher of Beer" to just free beer. They also have a promotion for $5 pitchers of beer before the event. The place gets packed, and for good reason.

Now how could you guys do this at a bar with Rock Band? Well, you could pick a handful of popular songs to be the challenge for the night. People can play anyone song they want, but if they decide to play for one of the challenge night songs, they have a chance to win free beer or food. You could simply make the high score for each song at the end of the night be a winner. Also, be sure to limit wins to prevent some ****** bag with no life from cleaning house and taking everything.

Another option is to fuse it into a college night of sorts with a free keg with student id. College people generally like Rock Band, so it'll take off on its own from there.