PDA

View Full Version : How do you know if a ship is enemy, friendly or neutral?

thekegalman
03-18-2005, 12:04 PM
I sank a few ships bearing the British Commonwealth flag in Sept 1939 and I was credited with sinking neutral ships...which affected my renown.

How do you know if a ship is enemy, friendly or neutral?

TASKFORCE1x1
03-18-2005, 12:08 PM
The manual way would be to use the recognition manual. Also use the UZO to see what flag its flying. Understand your mission goals and follow those mission orders. If they say not to engauge america like they say in the beginning of the war then becareful not to. Best not shoot so fast. check the ship with the observation periscope and use zoom to see the flag. Hope this helps.

quillan
03-18-2005, 12:14 PM
If you are using the "God's eye map update" option, ships shown in red on the map are enemy, greens are neutral, and blues are friendly. Otherwise, you have to check the flag, and know what nations are what status.

Historically, Germany invaded Poland on 1 Sept, 1939. Britain declares war and a naval blockade of Germany on 3 Sept. Prior to this, Britain and France are technically neutral. My first patrol started from Kiel on 1 Sept, so Britain became an enemy right about the time I crossed between Denmark and Norway. If you were based out of the western port, whose name escapes me now, you might well have encountered British shipping before they technically joined the war. Norway and Denmark won't become enemies until early 1940, and America (obviously) until Dec 1941.

Frederf220
03-18-2005, 01:04 PM
See this is the stuff I need to know.

Even if I manage to associate a ship's flag to its country, something that is NOT taught by the game (how are you expected to know this?), then I have no idea if that side is neutral, allied, whatnot because there is NO Rules of Engagement section of the orders.

If a nation changes status during a patrol does BdU radio you to inform you of this?

Kejotikk
03-18-2005, 01:07 PM
Sadly it doesn't. SH3 is great and all but I really miss all the historically correct radio messages in AOD. :/

Frederf220
03-18-2005, 10:32 PM
I found the MUSEUM section of the game is a great place to find a database linking flags to countries.

Now all I have to do is find out what countries are friendly, neutral, enemy.

Dr.Trespasser
03-18-2005, 11:34 PM
I was also going to post a few things about the nationality problem after sinking three neutral British ships, There really needs to be some kind of small list on the U-Boat somewhere just saying-

Nationality Status
America - Neutral
Britain - Enemy
Italy - Ally

this would be very helpful for those who dont really want to study history before playing although I enjoy knowing such things .The devs could just add a small GUI button somewhere, like on one of the officers or such that would pop a little note pad with nationality status listed.

Another thing that would be a good Idea to change for info sake would be adding the ship's home nation to your record of kills in the captains log. Instead of just saying Merchant sunk, it would be British Merchant Sunk.

easy fixes

Frederf220
03-19-2005, 04:23 PM
I would think this would be included with the orders perhaps?

Fitz505
03-19-2005, 05:01 PM
The sim can be really tricky in this respect. I spent 2 days chasing a reported large convoy on my 2nd patrol in Oct 1940. After catching up to it, I couldn't resist using the external camera to check it out (my only non realism I use, because the views are so awesome). It was quite a sight. It consisted of about 40 ships of various types. They even had different cargo types on deck, including military vehicles and one ship had aircraft tied down on deck! What made it tricky was some of the ships were American, including one big fat passenger liner right in the middle of the convoy. Imagine what that would do to your renown rating whacking that. Probably end up with a minus rating. I paused the sim right there until I can figure out how to post a screenshot.

Fitz

CuteQA
03-19-2005, 06:34 PM
what will happen if you keep sinking neutral ships?

Frederf220
03-19-2005, 06:47 PM
This is a bump for how and when you know what countries you can attack. I still don't know, if I came across a british ship right now if I would attack it for fear of its alignment.

Not that I've had any contact in 11 days.

Tukhachevskii
03-19-2005, 07:24 PM
Also take care, especially in the North Sea, as the Norwegian flag and the Red Ensign can look similar from a distance.

Manteuffel
03-19-2005, 07:27 PM
Huh? I have been sinking neutral ships and have not seen any negative impact. I sent a few US ships to the bottom and still gained renown. And they were showing up as neutral.

Erich Hartmann
03-19-2005, 08:04 PM
Are there Soviet, Italian, Japanese ships or better, what nations are modeled?

Philipscdrw
08-05-2005, 04:51 AM
There are Soviet and Italian ships I think, although I've never seen one. I found a helpful jpg showing all the naval and merchant ensigns of the SH3 world.

If I press F1, I get a helpful chart showing the dates every nation joined or left the conflict. I'm on the 1.4b version with Real U-boat and SH3 Commander.

Kaleun1961
08-05-2005, 01:25 PM
Another way to tell is by the colour on the map of the ports of that nation. Norwegian ports are green when Norway is neutral. They turn red when Norway is in the war.

Powerke
08-18-2005, 08:55 PM
Try this link and print the page for easy use http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.communitymanuals.com/shiii/index.php?title=N...lity_Status_Timeline (http://www.communitymanuals.com/shiii/index.php?title=Nationality_Status_Timeline)

warysandman
08-19-2005, 04:50 AM
Very fascinating. I too was wandering why i keep being told i have sunk a neutral ship