PDA

View Full Version : Photographic missions (Newbee Question)

Platypus_1.JaVA
01-06-2010, 03:37 PM
Hi guys, I am rather new to this game. I started playing last month. I have a hurt ankle and got all the time at home to master this game. I got the U-boat missions and I'm running the Trigger Maru 1.9 mod (with patch)

Well, I am playing this with all realism options on, except the external camera. I just like to look at something when I am on a patrol. But now, the high brass wants me to photograph things in a harbor. I figure this is pretty dangerous, so I come in at night, evading enemy naval activity with the aid of my brand new radar.

I can come in pretty close. It is night and I am on the surface. It turns out that sometimes there are some big fire in the port. I think they are ships that the games has 'misplaced' and ran into the port buildings. Luckily, I have a savegame when I am 20Nm out of the harbor. Somtimes there are two small gunboats and sometimes, there are fires, next to the place where the gunboats should be. I take the pictures I need (one merchant, a floatplane and any gunboat that survived)Usually somewhere between 2000 and 3000 yards. I can review the Black & White pictures I took, so I guess I had done my task. I even send in a patrol report to notify the high command. But they just send me a message back that I must proceed with my objective.

This means I did not complete the photographic mission. Do I need to take a picture of the ships that ran aground also? I can not lock them in my periscope, so I guess the game doesn't consider them an object where I should take pictures of. Or is there somekind of cheat that will let me finnish this mission? (without ruining my career of course)?

1. What can I do to complete this mission?

2. I often run at 5K time compression. How can I distinguish the diffrence between air and surface contacts when the Radar guy says he has a contact? (Time compression goes to 1X) I am always used to crash dive immediatly early in the game. I didn't have a surface radar before and every contact was an aircraft. Will the Radar officer also report surface contacts now that my sub also has a surface radar?

3. Actually forgot question 3, I guess it isn't important. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

I am loving this game so far. Setting up intercepts, plotting your own and the enemy's course and speed and finally seeing the big bang is really great. I would like to have a bigger boat, I guess I will get it as soon as high command is satisfied with the pictures I took http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Platypus_1.JaVA
01-06-2010, 03:37 PM
Hi guys, I am rather new to this game. I started playing last month. I have a hurt ankle and got all the time at home to master this game. I got the U-boat missions and I'm running the Trigger Maru 1.9 mod (with patch)

Well, I am playing this with all realism options on, except the external camera. I just like to look at something when I am on a patrol. But now, the high brass wants me to photograph things in a harbor. I figure this is pretty dangerous, so I come in at night, evading enemy naval activity with the aid of my brand new radar.

I can come in pretty close. It is night and I am on the surface. It turns out that sometimes there are some big fire in the port. I think they are ships that the games has 'misplaced' and ran into the port buildings. Luckily, I have a savegame when I am 20Nm out of the harbor. Somtimes there are two small gunboats and sometimes, there are fires, next to the place where the gunboats should be. I take the pictures I need (one merchant, a floatplane and any gunboat that survived)Usually somewhere between 2000 and 3000 yards. I can review the Black & White pictures I took, so I guess I had done my task. I even send in a patrol report to notify the high command. But they just send me a message back that I must proceed with my objective.

This means I did not complete the photographic mission. Do I need to take a picture of the ships that ran aground also? I can not lock them in my periscope, so I guess the game doesn't consider them an object where I should take pictures of. Or is there somekind of cheat that will let me finnish this mission? (without ruining my career of course)?

1. What can I do to complete this mission?

2. I often run at 5K time compression. How can I distinguish the diffrence between air and surface contacts when the Radar guy says he has a contact? (Time compression goes to 1X) I am always used to crash dive immediatly early in the game. I didn't have a surface radar before and every contact was an aircraft. Will the Radar officer also report surface contacts now that my sub also has a surface radar?

3. Actually forgot question 3, I guess it isn't important. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

I am loving this game so far. Setting up intercepts, plotting your own and the enemy's course and speed and finally seeing the big bang is really great. I would like to have a bigger boat, I guess I will get it as soon as high command is satisfied with the pictures I took http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Gidgiddoni84
01-06-2010, 03:44 PM
For photo missions:

1) Point the periscope at the target

2) "Lock" onto the target (I think it's the "l" key)

3) Once locked an option in the command bar on bottom will allow for photos to be taken.

If you can't lock onto the target, move in closer.

Platypus_1.JaVA
01-06-2010, 03:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gidgiddoni84:
For photo missions:

1) Point the periscope at the target

2) "Lock" onto the target (I think it's the "l" key)

3) Once locked an option in the command bar on bottom will allow for photos to be taken.

If you can't lock onto the target, move in closer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, just done that exactly like you described. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif I looked around with the external camera, to make sure I took a picture of all the potential targets, but after that, I was still told by high command to proceed with my objective and in the objective list, it says it isnīt complete.

Platypus_1.JaVA
01-07-2010, 06:14 AM
Well, after taking the pictures (and getting shot at by the remaining gunboat and merchant, because I was appearantly too close, even at midnight) I returned to base and was able to dock. I did sunk three ships before the Photographic mission so, my trip to Japan wasn't entirely for nothing. I was able to end the mission that way. But it was rather unsatisfying.

Gidgiddoni84
01-07-2010, 11:40 AM
For photo missions and such I'll usually get the job done, then head off on my own patrol. There's nothing saying you have to come home right away. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Gathrun
01-07-2010, 01:53 PM
That mission does sound odd. The crashed ship may have something to do with it. Did you sink anything else in the port before photoing it?

There was a bug with one of the photo missions, but I highly doubt that survived in TMO.

As far as radar goes, I guess the quickest way is to run to the radar set and do a sweep or a focus in that direction. If something shows, its a ship. If not, it is a plane. Only ships blip on the radar set. I still use the training wheels version that leaves the map contacts there, but I would think that's the best way.

Platypus_1.JaVA
01-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Well, the proper situation in that particular port should leave it with two small gunboats, A merchant and a stationary aircraft (wich shows up as a blip!) Somtimes, it looks like the game misplaces one or both the gunboats and spawns them into a nearby building or pier. This of course destroys the gunboat and usually, a big fire can be seen. So, I think the game detects I should take four pictures, but since one or both the gunboats have crashed into the harbor, I can't take their picture. It is indeed very strange. Luckily you can end the mission if you go back to your homeport. I am not very happy at all to end a patrol like that, but I guess real submarine captains had plenty of dissapointments too.

I run Triggermaru 1.9 with patch. No other mods.