PDA

View Full Version : Sunk me a destroyer with my AA.

Harlock1973
05-04-2007, 08:31 AM
I swerved to avoid a ramming from a destroyer, put my gun on auto (I hadn't hit the destroyer yet) and he pulled up right beside me. "What the hell?" I think, so I hunker down into the 40mm AA perch and start blasting. Suddenly, the ship slows down dramatically, all the while I'm plugging away. Then I get the "Enemy Unit Destroyed" message and it bursts into flames.

I was flabbergasted. My deck gun hadn't even landed a single hit (he decided the tanker 1500m away was a better target) so I can only conclude that I downed a 2700 ton destroyer with a 40mm AA gun.

Isn't that kinda like shooting down a plane with a handgun? Next time I'm taking out crippled ships I'm going to fire up the AA and see what happens. Anybody else tried this?

Harlock1973
05-04-2007, 08:31 AM
I swerved to avoid a ramming from a destroyer, put my gun on auto (I hadn't hit the destroyer yet) and he pulled up right beside me. "What the hell?" I think, so I hunker down into the 40mm AA perch and start blasting. Suddenly, the ship slows down dramatically, all the while I'm plugging away. Then I get the "Enemy Unit Destroyed" message and it bursts into flames.

I was flabbergasted. My deck gun hadn't even landed a single hit (he decided the tanker 1500m away was a better target) so I can only conclude that I downed a 2700 ton destroyer with a 40mm AA gun.

Isn't that kinda like shooting down a plane with a handgun? Next time I'm taking out crippled ships I'm going to fire up the AA and see what happens. Anybody else tried this?

OpiesEye
05-04-2007, 09:38 AM
Yesterday I sank two Destroyers with my deck gun, same as you they rammed me so I started shooting at him and he pulled away and sank, the other one was on the other side so I started shooting at him as well and he sank. What kills me is the 3rd one stayed behind me not doing anything and I got the your dead video.

bobwill
05-04-2007, 09:55 AM
Well, japanese destroyers did have a few nicely exposed highly vulnerable areas on their hulls. For instance, they had between 6 to 10 torpedo tubes around their midship section. The Type 93 had a powerful warhead, and a tank of compressed oxygen. Even an airplane's .50 calibers could set those things off, and severely damage or completely destroy the vessel carrying it.

vietvettwo
05-04-2007, 01:21 PM
Have not sunk a DD with the AA but I did have a subchaser coming up on my stern, I took him under fire with the 20mm. I was shooting up the bridge trying to discourage him when he blew up and sank.

I don't know for sure, but I wonder if the damage engine just records a certain number of hits regardless of weapon and says, OK, boom.

lubecknj
05-04-2007, 05:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bobwill:
Well, japanese destroyers did have a few nicely exposed highly vulnerable areas on their hulls. For instance, they had between 6 to 10 torpedo tubes around their midship section. The Type 93 had a powerful warhead, and a tank of compressed oxygen. Even an airplane's .50 calibers could set those things off, and severely damage or completely destroy the vessel carrying it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is why when under air attack most DD captains dumped their torpedoes.