PDA

View Full Version : Destructible Environments in Haze

kilpatrick1981
06-07-2006, 08:37 AM
Will there be destructible environments in Haze? Like can bring down towers, blow up buildings & shoot through walls?

kilpatrick1981
06-07-2006, 08:37 AM
Will there be destructible environments in Haze? Like can bring down towers, blow up buildings & shoot through walls?

deded999
06-07-2006, 09:19 AM
Judging from previous discussions (Don't have jumping) there will definetly be at least some destructible objects, (such as trees) in there. Personally I would be surprised if there were'nt more than this, but I've yet to see major destructible environments this gen, so it's a little early to say. Let's hope so.

fallenshad0w
06-07-2006, 01:20 PM
the only major indestructable environment ive seen so far is black, and that game sucked... however, destrictable environment can be class like shooting the hell out of a brickwall untill it disintergrates http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

joey_melons
06-07-2006, 04:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've yet to see major destructible environments this gen, so it's a little early to say. Let's hope so. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bah, there were major destructible environments *last* gen, in the aforementioned Black! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Fallenshadow, I disagree that Black "sucked". At the very least, I think it's one of the best-looking, most technically accomplished games ever made for the PS2.

Ghost Recon: Advance Warfighter and Crysis also seem to have plenty to blow up/ shatter / dissect lovingly with bullets. Let's see if Haze keeps up with the Joneses on this one.

deded999
06-07-2006, 05:40 PM
I said major deliberately: I've yet to see a game where walls and buildings can be damaged - I don't think a few bullet holes really counts, or small destructible areas a la Red Faction. Crysis is heading that way from the looks of it, but I still haven't seen more than trees falling.

Real destructible environments would replicate destruction via physics - we may have a while to wait for that yet.

joey_melons
06-08-2006, 11:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've yet to see a game where walls and buildings can be damaged </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Black, I tells ya, BLACK! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Maybe you haven't played it. But the graveyard level... the whole place literally crumbles round your ears! And this is on PS2.

Is the destruction physics-based? I doubt it. But does it need to be to still be hugely impressive? For my money, no!

Also, I think on PS3 and Xbox 360, the graphics are *so* true-to-life that that realism has to be applied across the board to a much greater degree than before.

Imagine a character in a DS game walking through the jungle. Nobody minds if the bushes don't rustle as he passes, because the overall impression is so far away from resembling real life anyway.

However, a photorealistic charater walking through a photorealistic jungle... if the bushes don't rustle when *he* walks through them, it's immediately going to strike the player as a glaring omission.

A heightened sense of interaction is also something new, fresh and exciting for gamers. It justifies spending $500 on a new console to play these next-gen games: "hey, look at all the new cool stuff you can do!" A FPS in 2006 can't just be the original DOOM with a shiny new skin. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

deded999
06-08-2006, 11:49 AM
Yeah, I'd agree with that. I've only played the Black demo, but my impression from that and reviews was that only specific things, (walls, buildings, etc) could be damaged, not everything across the board.

As you say, to maintain a sense of realism devs really have to allow destruction of everything, as long as you have the weaponry to do it of course!

In reality the only hand-held weapons likely to put holes in walls would be explosives, a bazooka or RPG - if these aren't available then they don't have to put in this level of destructability, just things like bullet-holes and damage to more soft-targets such as vehicles, trees, tents, etc.

mopstar101
06-09-2006, 06:12 PM
Black is cool but for physix (Agias spelling) try Flatout !!!! All debri stays lap after lap and defenetly has an impact on game play.Whealbarrels tyres all kind of stuff, some rewieue sade physix too intens you get stuck whith the car.Well i gess thats physix.(A maby its Havock ,dont seet there logo on the box)

deded999
06-15-2006, 12:36 PM
From the OPSM2 (UK) preview:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There's also a ton of environmental destruction to match. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

kilpatrick1981
05-26-2007, 09:30 AM
With new footage out, still wondering:

Is Haze confirmed to have destructible environments?

TerranUp16
05-26-2007, 09:48 AM
If Company of Heroes can do it, FPS games certainly can. However, it's still a large undertaking. Nonetheless, there's definitely some hope. In the driving footage, the buggy knocked-down a fence in its rampage. Now, one might initially say, "Ok, so what if he knocked-down a fence? What if that's the only fence he could knock-down?" The key here is that in order for it to be even worthwhile that you could knock-down a fence is if you knew you could knock it down. If you knew you could do that, such knowledge would spill over beyond that fence. Likely, we're talking about being able to do more than just knock-down fences.

In terms of not having rocket launchers and whatnot... there will be a multiplayer component, and this is Free Radical, creators of the Timesplitters series. Need I say more?

deded999
05-26-2007, 11:39 AM
A rocket launcher was shown at E3 06.

Reytime
05-27-2007, 05:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deded999:
A rocket launcher was shown at E3 06. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, nice.

A Mantel trooper on full Nectar with a rocket launcher in his hands, that would be interesting!