PDA

View Full Version : Never again.

oeker
02-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Just have let out some steam (Worth approx 45 euro)

Last year I told my older brother how much I enjoyed Pacific Fighters.

A few months later he called me (He is living in another city) and said that he purchased PF -but run into a "module error"

He does not have any internet connection so I started some search for him. After a few hours I found out it could be a problem with a copy program.

I called him back and ask if he have a copy program installed - yes - Then you must uninstall the copy program and try again.

But no dice. It didn`nt work. Not that much money wasted. He picked it up at a discount price.

A few weeks ago I was looking a birthday present. Unfortunately I picked up 1946 and send to him. You probably guessed it - he called me: same old story with module error.

Yes - I know there is a FAQ and other support. But I have no interest in a lot of phone calls of try this and that. We both have not much PC knowledge. As mentioned he does not have internet connection. In short a lot of wasted money. Now I have to go shopping again - this time addon for FS2004.

Ubisoft should label a warning on all games:

"Possible not a Plug and Play game".

Battle of Britain looks good in latest issue of PCPilot - but Ubisoft have lost a costumer.

Thank you for reading and letting out some steam. Now I go back to my favourite game: Serious GTR2 racing online - see you at Monza guys!!

oeker
02-08-2007, 12:36 PM

A few months later he called me (He is living in another city) and said that he purchased PF -but run into a "module error"

He does not have any internet connection so I started some search for him. After a few hours I found out it could be a problem with a copy program.

I called him back and ask if he have a copy program installed - yes - Then you must uninstall the copy program and try again.

But no dice. It didn`nt work. Not that much money wasted. He picked it up at a discount price.

A few weeks ago I was looking a birthday present. Unfortunately I picked up 1946 and send to him. You probably guessed it - he called me: same old story with module error.

Yes - I know there is a FAQ and other support. But I have no interest in a lot of phone calls of try this and that. We both have not much PC knowledge. As mentioned he does not have internet connection. In short a lot of wasted money. Now I have to go shopping again - this time addon for FS2004.

Battle of Britain looks good in latest issue of PCPilot - but Ubisoft have lost a costumer.

Thank you for reading and letting out some steam. Now I go back to my favourite game: Serious GTR2 racing online - see you at Monza guys!!

wolfman2100
02-08-2007, 12:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oeker:

Thank you for reading and letting out some steam. Now I go back to my favourite game: Serious GTR2 racing online - see you at Monza guys!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What an effort you made to get it to work.

No wonder you're pissed off.....

SeaFireLIV
02-08-2007, 12:48 PM
And if the problem happens again with FS2004 or any other game?

You really should try and find out what your older brother has going on with his Pc ( or get him too), because whatever hidden issue is going on there is almost guaranteed to pop back up one day.

Maybe get him to print a DXdiag, print it, send it to you and you post it here... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

ytareh
02-08-2007, 12:52 PM
There is no doubt that this game has a LOT of quirks ...whether the Ctrl Alt Del to get mouse moving ....Gunsights....Chocks....Gear up on F4/I16 ,1280x1024 res etc etc not to mention a host of hardware specific stuff (eg20+ page nVidia problems thread)
And of course it wont run with common copying software installed.....
I can understand the posters frustration and I know how tricky the game can be technically to a beginner.But really theres simply no competition out there if you want to fly WW2 .
How about downloading andrunning a free registry cleaner like Regcleaner.If net not available it should be on some magazine cds eg PC Gamer

RxMan
02-08-2007, 12:58 PM
What's everyone's problem with copy software??
I have Adaptec CD Creator and Nero installed
and have had zero problems with installing or
running IL2-FB, AEP, PF, Pe-2, or 1946.....

badatit
02-08-2007, 05:11 PM
yup...FAQ is alot to read.
Bummer

To bad.
The fix is not that hard. It'll require some searching though.

I have BOBWOV and FSX with some WWII fighters, and heavies installed.
BOBWOV flyables, you have the Hurri, the Spit, the 109, and a few variants. FSX the planes that even come close to IL2's FM's and pit's are 15-20 bucks a pop.

Care to take a guess as to the number of different fighter and bomber aircraft and their variants, all with extremly detailed FM's, DM's and pits that are flyables in IL2-1946.
Anyone have the current number? I stopped counting at around seventy.

BOBWOV and FSX both pail in comparison to IL2-1946.
There is no comparison.

If you care to give it another go...
This (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/1721026215) would be a good place to start.

-HH-Quazi
02-08-2007, 08:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RxMan:
running IL2-FB, AEP, PF, Pe-2, or 1946..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, me too. I have even had virtual drives running all versions of this sim in an attempt to save wear & tear on my game disk(s) and ROM drive(s). And I have always used Nero. Funny how some rigs have problems with these things and some don't.

mike240se
02-09-2007, 12:07 AM
Being that you cant even look at his computer how can you even be sure its the game? His computer could be loaded with trojans or adware and the os install could be corrupted to all hell. There are many factors besides just the game i wouldnt be so quick to jump to conclusions. He could have bad drivers too.

Tobus75
02-09-2007, 03:18 AM
Your brother has no internet? To me that implies "very old drivers from original cdrom supplied with whatever card". Set him up with all newest drivers for mobo, sound and gfx, and while you're at it: does he have SP2 for WinXP? If not, search there!

wolfman2100
02-09-2007, 04:37 AM
He's pretty much just thrown his dummy out the pram because it wouldn't work right off the bat - that's obvious.

"Not a plug and play game" Wtf?????

It's not an x-box.

major_setback
02-09-2007, 04:49 AM
The game is very demaning on systems too. It wouldn't even play on the computer I had when I first bought it (original IL2!).

you need heaps of memory.

wolfman2100
02-09-2007, 05:41 AM
No internet?

I bet his brother has a system from the dark ages.

oeker
02-09-2007, 06:40 AM
First -thank you guys for suggestions to solve this problem. I really appreciate it.

(sidenote: It is an upgraded PC with XP and 1GB ram)

We have been around flightsim since Sublogic CBM64 and Amiga. Have been struggled with freeware and shareware. Tried to help community and company with bug reports - remember Microprose B17 and Rick Harvey`s FLY ?

But Ubisoft does not fight a bug. They have made a choice. - To install a program to detect copy program. A potensial criminal. If they make more money it is OK for me. I respect that decision. And I have made a decision too. I will not waste time to sort out problems made by this software. It is all about principles.

All I want is that Ubisoft and other software companies mark their product with a warning label:

"This game may not be compatible with certain copy program".

- And I will be very happy.....

-HH-Quazi
02-09-2007, 07:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oeker:
First -thank you guys for suggestions to solve this problem. I really appreciate it.

(sidenote: It is an upgraded PC with XP and 1GB ram)

We have been around flightsim since Sublogic CBM64 and Amiga. Have been struggled with freeware and shareware. Tried to help community and company with bug reports - remember Microprose B17 and Rick Harvey`s FLY ?

But Ubisoft does not fight a bug. They have made a choice. - To install a program to detect copy program. A potensial criminal. If they make more money it is OK for me. I respect that decision. And I have made a decision too. I will not waste time to sort out problems made by this software. It is all about principles.

All I want is that Ubisoft and other software companies mark their product with a warning label:

"This game may not be compatible with certain copy program".

- And I will be very happy..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Agreed! Would be nice.

-HH-Quazi
02-09-2007, 07:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mike240se:
Being that you cant even look at his computer how can you even be sure its the game? His computer could be loaded with trojans or adware and the os install could be corrupted to all hell. There are many factors besides just the game i wouldnt be so quick to jump to conclusions. He could have bad drivers too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Fantastic points to bring up. You are absolutely correct. It is imperative to have a clean rig when running, or trying to run this sim. But it has to install correctly first, eh? HEHE I hate the m8 is having a hard time with the copy software.

Bearcat99
02-10-2007, 10:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RxMan:
running IL2-FB, AEP, PF, Pe-2, or 1946..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rgr that.. I have two burners on my rig.... one a light scribe.. and I have yet to find SW that wont go on my rig. At least because of the optical.....

x6BL_Brando
02-11-2007, 04:18 AM
I wonder whether the copy-software issue relates to how it is used? I have always had some version or other of Nero installed - just because I need to burn discs, ISOs and stuff - and I've never had a copy protection issue with FB.

But then I never have any of the extra crud enabled that comes with Nero - photo albums, cover-printers and so on - and it will only respond if I slip a blank re-writable disc into the burner drive.

Also, I never attempt to load anything via the burner. I just use the DVD reader drive for that.

B.

WWSensei
02-11-2007, 04:20 PM
But Ubisoft does not fight a bug. They have made a choice. - To install a program to detect copy program. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do not think this is your problem. I have various copy programs (I have a hobby of lots of audio/video editing etc) and have programs ranging from Alocohol 120, CD Clone, Microsoft's VCdControl (mounts ISO images and is free from MS), Nero, Roxio and Pinnacle. I have no trouble installing and running IL2 all the way back to the original.

There is something else wrong with your brother's system. It's a driver conflict or some other problem.