PDA

View Full Version : poll concerning AI and co-op

Icecube1137
08-01-2008, 07:56 PM
why is there no AI in the map editor? :| AI is a must for this game! You can only do so much with a map editor, but once your able to put AI in a game as a mission editor you can do sooooooo much more. Anybody who has played operation flashpoint for pc or operation flashpoint: elite for xbox knows exactly what im talking about.

I mean had so many good memories from operation flashpoint elite making coop missions and playing them with my friends over XBL.

For example,
Watching a whole platoon of russian armor (controlled by AI you placed) charge toward you at 50+ mph, and then seeing a barrage of anti tank rockets fly through the air, also fired by friendly AI you placed in the mission, blow the crap out of the first few rows of tanks as you try to hold your ground.

Or another mission I remember playing on XBL that somebody made, it was around midnight and it was dark and stormy and your whole squad (made of you, AI, and other players over XBL)armed up and boarded a blackhawk and were flown over a small town being held by the russians and had to liberate the small town in the dark of the night and storm with your NVG on and being surrounded by russian spetsnaz.

Now I know even if FC2 had AI in its map editor that stuff like that could never happen since FC2 wont have tanks and stuff... but you get my point. If you could place AI in the maps that you make that would make FC2's multiplayer have a MUCH more lasting appeal. I mean really, just think about it.

Operation flashpoint Elite for the xbox enabled you to place AI in the mission editor, and you could control absolutely everything about the AI. Where they spawn when the mission starts, Wheather they were friendly or hostile, on foot or in a vechile, the stance of the ai (hold your ground, aggresive, hold fire, etc etc.), and you could tell the ai where to go and WHEN using a waypoint system that you could add too each individual unit.

So my question is, if this could be done on a console with very inferior hardware (original xbox), why can it not be done easily on FC2 for 360 and ps3?

Cjay313
08-01-2008, 09:37 PM
I wouldnt know about AI enemies but i really wanan be able to put down animals and such.

ynck
08-02-2008, 04:45 AM
They said they will release a editor for creating the whole world, right?

So the map editor will only be for multiplayer but modders can use that other editor to create a new singleplayer world?

adarwinter
08-02-2008, 05:05 AM
ppl, do your research please.

clint hocking said that placing AI onto user made MP maps is too complicated and WILL NOT be included. of course everyone would want it but in order to place AIs into user made maps u really need to know how to create those maps to fit the AI. u need to place all sort of navigation meshes, forbidden areas, cover nodes, insert or exit nodes, scripts and tons of other AI guides without which the AI will just get stuck into walls, not use cover, not use strategies, wont know what to do etc etc.
it's a very complicated process. it's not just - click on the map to spawn an AI. its a lot more than that. (if u ever tried to make user made maps for crysis than u would know that already).

now, placing AIs on the world map UBI created (like done in flashpoint) should be a much simpler task (since UBI took care of all the navigation problems) BUT clint said already that there will be no editor for SP content. NO EDITOR FOR SP CONTENT. u can do as many polls as u like but there wont be any.

it's a great shame. i know. i would love to edit SP mission myself. i did quit a few on flashpoint. but it probably wont be a part of this game.

if u want to edit SP missions like in flashpoint than u will have to wait for flashpoint 2 which is due next year and looks to be very interesting.

ynck
08-02-2008, 05:41 AM
Well I understand that, especially that consoles won't get it. Indeed it is hard. I wanted to try it for BF2 but it was way to complicated. Navmeshing, strategic area, blablabladiblablabla.

'NO EDITOR FOR SP CONTENT.'

So I can say good bye to mods? Atleast singleplayer mods?

adarwinter
08-02-2008, 07:18 AM
i wish i knew.

it depends on what mods are we talking about.

STALKER has tons of mods without an SDK or a map editor.
i truly really greatly hope that we can have at least THESE type of mods.
mods that change the perception of AI, change the weapons, change the health etc etc.

ynck
08-02-2008, 07:39 AM
Let's wait and see. Atleast there will be a sdk and map editor.

I think total conversations interest me the most.
I would love to see a western or a post-apocalyptic mod.

I hope they take modding serious. IMO they have surpassed Crysis gameplay already, but another strong point of Crysis are the mods.

There are people who buy a game just to play a particilar mod.

adarwinter
08-02-2008, 08:00 AM
ynck, dont tell me u believe in an SDK for FC2. dont live in a dream, my friend. dont get your expectations that high.
i can assure u there will be no SDK. this is not a mod-supported game. no multiplatform game will have an SDK. it takes money and effort and time to release a user friendly SDK and UBI will never put this kind of energy on a multiplatform game where 70% of their target audience wont use it (console crowd).

the only multi-platform game that had just a map maker was GOW, and the map maker was only for the PC. UBI wont release 2 completely different softwares - one for consoles and one for PC. too much money.

we can only hope that the files will be packed in a mod friendly format, but then again - all of ubi's development are NOT mod friendly. ppl where DYING to have a rainbow 6:VEGAS map maker, SDK or at least a way to mod the files we have (the UE3 engine files) but they got nothing of that sort. everything was (is) so hard coded into the engine that no modification was possible.

the most i think we can hope for is easy to mod files (INI. XML. etc) but nothing more. i cant remember the last FPS that had SDK. can u?

ynck
08-02-2008, 08:08 AM
To tell you the truth I have no bleep idea what it is anyway. But I saw this:
http://www.farcry2-hq.com/news,254,far-cry-2---eswc-08-review.htm

So like I said we'll see how it turns out. I've heard modders of BF2 that they didn't get support from EA (hence the EA sucks) and that the editor is not user friendly.

Still BF2 has some pretty cool mods.

adarwinter
08-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by ynck:
To tell you the truth I have no bleep idea what it is anyway. But I saw this:
http://www.farcry2-hq.com/news,254,far-cry-2---eswc-08-review.htm

So like I said we'll see how it turns out. I've heard modders of BF2 that they didn't get support from EA (hence the EA sucks) and that the editor is not user friendly.

Still BF2 has some pretty cool mods.

in these "features" they say an SDK. i SO hope i was wrong in my last message! crossing fingers!
i cant wait for that 40 minutes interview. i love interviews. im weird.

p.s. - BF2 has some awesome mods. if FC2 will have modes like that (some nice SP mods too) than i am a lot more than happy (and need medications).

Icecube1137
08-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Ok im not much a pc gamer so sorry for the noob question but whats SDK lol

ynck
08-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Icecube1137:
Ok im not much a pc gamer so sorry for the noob question but whats SDK lol

Check the SDK petition threat. It's not a noob question, I didn't know it either.

Jorge-Fonseca
08-03-2008, 01:03 PM
lawl noob! cudnt resist xD anyway SDK literally means Software Development Kit. This is basically the kit/toolbox that either Developers (people that make the game) create or buy off someone else (ie when people buy rights to use an engine for their game) to make their games

In otherwords SDK has stuff like the map editor and some files used to compile and make the game. Now this means that we can basically use those to make more of the game ie: mp maps, sp mods, replacements, anything really, heck sometimes they even include source code to edit single player missions, but thats not common nowadays due to people hacking the game in bad ways.