PDA

View Full Version : Remapping Joystick!?!?!?

EtSKillJoy
03-29-2006, 07:00 PM
So why can't I remap the joystick controls? Everytime I try I get a warning button already in use, no matter which button I press it always selects the z-axis left, I really need to change these controls. I don't know who the culpret is in the default mapping but what were they thinking. Someone please help!! I just got this game today and can't even play it.

EtSKillJoy
03-29-2006, 07:00 PM
So why can't I remap the joystick controls? Everytime I try I get a warning button already in use, no matter which button I press it always selects the z-axis left, I really need to change these controls. I don't know who the culpret is in the default mapping but what were they thinking. Someone please help!! I just got this game today and can't even play it.

drklebel
03-29-2006, 07:25 PM
man, I am having the exact same problem as you are and its really starting to piss me off. When I take off my plane does a constant roll and the only way I can stop it is if I hold down the 'D' button on the keyboard. The D button is assigned roll right and you have to hold it in order to fly straight. I can't change any of my controls because like you said, it changes everything to z-axis left! Has anyone used a joystick successfully in this game?

EtSKillJoy
03-29-2006, 07:30 PM
Yeah I just now figured out the d button trick. But is it just me or is the joystick configured like a 360 controller? I mean in the game it says to use your left stick. WTF, uh excuse me, but im sorry but my keyboard doesnt come with a stick. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I already talked with tech support at UBI and they were no help please someone out there has to help us!!

Sancti0n
03-30-2006, 02:38 AM
This is a complete guess, as I don't even have the game yet, but it sounds like a similar problem I had when I first got BF2. If you keep getting messages saying that key X is already assigned, you may have to unassign those keys first.

What I did in BF2 was to unassign every frickin action I was going to use, then I unassigned every key that had a default button for one action that I would use on another action. THen I went back through and assigned WHAT I wanted TO what I wanted and I had no problems.

Sounds complicated but it really isn't. Just check the book or readme.txt to find out how to unassign keys. Like I wrote, this is just a guess on my part, but it's worht a shot if it'll help. Plus i'd like to read if it works (or not), cause I know i'll want to remap when my game shows up today. Good luck, and please post your results. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

EtSKillJoy
03-30-2006, 07:37 AM
Unfortunately you can't un-map the controls all you can do is set them to their default settings. I have tried everything. I even explained to UBI a little further in depth the problem. I am currently waiting on their reply. I read the readme file and it really only talks about the 360 controller. Why they are even mentioning this controller for the PC, well your guess is as good as mine. I was really anticipating the release of this game but this is the whole reason I stay away from flying games. And it sucks because I love them. It is looking like this is gonna be a lost battle and I will probably just end up taking the game back unless UBI can give me some good news. I mean isn't a flying game on a pc supposed to be played with a joystick?? I sure think so.

Sancti0n
03-30-2006, 09:00 AM
Hmm... I just got my copy a little bit ago. I installed it and looked around a bit (i'm at work so I can't play it yet). I did see an option to disable gamepad/joystick. Have you checked that off by mistake? Or maybe make sure the software for your joystick is the "latest n greatest".

I know I tried to change a regular key and it worked fine (but that's not a joystick button... just wanted to see if it could be done). Can't wait to get home and try this! I suppose I could try it here, hehe, but like ya said it's a flight game and flight games should be played with a joystick (imho). Anyways i'll post here if I can get it to change (hope you do the same as well, cuase I already saw some joystick buttons I want to change).

drklebel
03-30-2006, 09:58 AM
Yah someone should figure this out because I already gave up. I have been flying using my keyboard but thats just gay.

As for what Sancti0n said, I did mess with the option to disable gamepad/joystick but it didn't do anything for me.

please help

EtSKillJoy
03-30-2006, 10:07 AM
Yeah I saw that in the advanced options and it is not checked. Ans as far as the readme goes it looks like everything would be ok if I owned a xbox 360 controller. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

NL_Aph3x
03-30-2006, 02:56 PM
Same problem here as well, I have a logitech Extreme 3D Pro, with 4.60 drivers, tried to unmap but nothing works. The does recongnize it though but plane is spinning immidiately, i can block that with key and fly plane then but that's not a solution...Great game for dogfighting online at least with a stick http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gifSo I hope we will see a patch very soon...

Maybe PolecatXXX has a solution?

Is this also the tweaked mafia engine as used in wings of war???

Sancti0n
03-30-2006, 03:42 PM
WOW! I guess I didn't really believe you guys until I got it myself. I tried double-clicking on a setting (like primary fire) and I got a message asking if I was sure I wanted to change. If I said no, nothing happened, if I said yes, it registered my left-clicking on the word yes as the key I wanted to replace the default setting with (called it Z axis actually).

So then I tried doing it the way you're supposed to (I think). I clicked on the setting I wanted to change (primary fire again), then clicked on the button down below that reads as "selected keys joystick" in the "change key" area. However I got the same message with the same results.

Both of the above were done on Joystick 1. I repeated the above on Joystick 2 (just to see what would happen) and the results were the same.

I then went into the game folder thinking maybe I could edit a .cfg or a .ini somewhere. Maybe manually put in the settings I wanted. But no go, I couldn't find anything that even remotely looked I could tweak it. Then again, I don't normally do that sort of thing so it's possible the answer was staring me in the face and I didn't see it. Maybe sopmebody more used to things like that could give it a try?

Anyway, i'm typing all this out so that maybe someone from UBI will read it and get a better idea of what happens when I try to change stuff. Hopefully a simple fix (or patch even) will be available ASAP, as I really want to see if this game is gonna "grab me" like Crimson Skies did.

I'm not gonna play this thing until I can do so with a joystick (and with the button assignment that I want... i'm stubborn that way). However that kinda sucks cause the only thing worse than having a new game that plays badly is having a new game that you can't play at all until some basic controller "stuff" is fixed. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Boy I hope UBI (or whoever) reads this and gets going on a fix real fast...

SsSsSsSsSnake
03-30-2006, 03:48 PM
I did do it but cant remember now as ive wiped the demo http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

spmcfarland
03-30-2006, 04:27 PM
Ok, so I manged to get the joystick to work for me. Granted, this is the demo, and I don't know if it'll work for the retail version, but maybe somebody can try it and find out.

The game seems to think that if the throttle control on the joystick is fully advanced to either direction, it continues to give a signal. So if the throttle is set to full, and you try to remap something, it assums you want it remapped to the throttle.

So I just set my joystick's throttle control to about half and everything seemed to remap just fine...sort of.

I could not remap the 'roll left' and 'roll right' controls, because I need all my buttons for something, so I don't have anything to set it to. It turns out this results in a sort of nifty control scheme: When using the standard camera view, tilting the joystick left or right results in a roll. But when using the view that keeps the target in sight (whatever it's called) the joystick steers left and right the way the arrow keys normally work. Weird...and I kind of like it.

There's still the issue of the XBOX instructions, as well as the little formation cross in the corner, which is worthless to a PC user. I'm not sure if the retail version has this problem as well...I really hope they thought to, I don't know, make the PC game NOT AN EXACT COPY OF THE XBOX GAME...but who am I to question the almighty authority of UBI?

Anyway, I hope the joystick fix works for everybody else. Le me know.

EtSKillJoy
03-30-2006, 04:32 PM
Unfortunatly I have tried that little trick too and it doesn't work for me. And I am still waiting on UBIsoft to reply to my question.

spmcfarland
03-30-2006, 04:42 PM
Sorry to hear it didn't work for EtSKillJoy. Anybody else tried it? Perhaps some other control is the culprit. The mouse scroll wheel is supposed to adjust throttle normally, and not having a scrollwheel on my laptop, I don't know if that affects annything.

A few other oddities I've noticed since getting the joystick to work: The Y axis is initially inverted (meaning that you push the forward to go up) which seems weird. But that's an easy fix in the 'game' menu. Also, the joystick seems really unresponsive. I've used this stick in IL2 and Crimson Skies and not had a problem with it, but in Blazing Angels I have to tilt the stick about 75% of the maximum range before it responds at all. Adjusting the mouse sensitivity (which was the only thing I could think to adjust) makes no difference. Anybody else notice this, or is it just me?

I'd still like to hear some verification about the XBOXishness of the retail game...anybody?

spmcfarland
03-30-2006, 07:14 PM
This unresponsive joystick problem is driving me crazy. It's almost (but not quite) as bad as not having any joystick at all. I went ahead and played through the demo training mission (which is considerably harder with a laggy joystick) just to get to a more 'fighter' type of plane to see if perhaps the joystick was intentionally unresponsive (since the first plane is an older biplane). But alas, the fighter in the evacuation mission is just as bad. So it appears it's actually the game (or the game vs. my particular stick). Anybody having the same problem, or know if it's this bad in the retail game?

EtSKillJoy
03-30-2006, 09:26 PM
We all have this problem and as far as i know most of us have the full retail version. And I have tried more than one joystick both with the same problem as I told UBIsoft this is obviously a in game software issue. This has nothing to do , in my opinion, anything to do with the actual joysticks.

drklebel
03-30-2006, 10:07 PM
I really wonder how many people are having this problem with their joystick. I would think anyone with a joystick would be having this same problem which makes me think no too many people have bought the game.

It seems to me they geared this game towards the xbox and didnt put too much attention to the pc version.

drklebel
03-30-2006, 10:30 PM
OK, I've figured out how to temporarily play until Ubi fixes this problem.

What its doing is the Z axis left is stuck, which controls your roll left. What I have been doing is holding 'D' which is your roll right in order to stop the constant barrel roll. What I did was changed my roll right to Z axis left (the only thing I could change to) so now both roll right and left are set to Z axis left. Now at least you're able to fly straight with out having to hold anything.

I still don't want to play because I want to remap my other controls and also be able to roll.

VERY DISAPPOINTED

j_frost1
03-31-2006, 07:45 AM
Yo,

I have a Microsoft sidewinder forcefeedback 2, and cant re-map the controls. It keeps telling me "button 17" for just about any axis, toggle or button.

Cant figure out how to re-map controls in the directory of the game either.

Hope it can be fixed.

Thanks

Frosty.

CLIFTON-GRIFFIN
03-31-2006, 09:26 AM
i have been having same problem as everyone else. i happen to have a old microsoft sidewinder precision pro usb found i could reasign the buttons and it works good .Maybe this will help a couple of people till ubisoft gets a patch out if you if you still want to use a logitech extreme 3d pro let me know have a way you can do also

tigermelon1
03-31-2006, 09:46 AM
GOOD GOING CLIFTON http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)

The old MS sidewinders work just fine

Thanks

Sancti0n
03-31-2006, 11:31 AM
hehehe...

*pssst*....

*PSSSST* hey clifton....

CLIFTON BUDDY PAL FRIEND OL CHUM! What do you have for a work-around for the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro? I are most interested in knowing (i'm sure a few others are as well).

AirMorgan
03-31-2006, 01:27 PM
OK. I have the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. I have been able to get some level of playability to this game. I hope this helps.

1) In the control settings page just do what others have done and set the roll right to "z axis left" (which seems to be the only option anyways). This will stop the immediate out of control roll to the left. Then...
2) Go to your computer's control panel
3) click game controllers
4) Click properties
5) click the about tab at the top
6) click Logitech Profiler

here you can edit what each button does.

7) click x axis
8) select assignment ---> new axis assignment
9) click edit
10) click new keystroke
11) click record
12) press the left arrow key
13) click stop
14) click ok
15) do it again for the right arrow key
16) you should see keystroke left and right in the "definitions in current profile box"
17) click ok
18) reassign axis left and axis right via the dropdown menu to the new keystrokes.
19) click Ok
20) click on twist
21) click on axis properties
22) Set Sensitivity, Dead zone, and Range to 0 then click Ok.

I've tried mapping the "A" and "D" keys (for roll) to the joystick but it won't let me. All I can do is map the Arrow keys to the X axis. This should get you flying. I was also able to map other key like space bar (fire) to the trigger and W and S(throttle) to the slide. I can now fly and have some fun but there is NO ROLL available. So be prepared to still be disappointed. You can turn and climb but evasive manuvers are still out of the question.

Can't wait for the Patch!!!!

Peace out,

AM

Sancti0n
03-31-2006, 01:47 PM
WOW! Thanks AirMorgan! I can't wait to get home and try this. Yesterday I would've said thanks but no thanks, I want it all my way so i'll wait for the patch. However today is a new day, and I find my usually stubborn self weakening lol.

SylenAzeur
03-31-2006, 01:55 PM
Ugh... anyone figure out how to do what he just said with a Saitak Cyborg Evo stick xP?

ChrisNeal33
03-31-2006, 05:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CLIFTON-GRIFFIN:
i have been having same problem as everyone else. i happen to have a old microsoft sidewinder precision pro usb found i could reasign the buttons and it works good .Maybe this will help a couple of people till ubisoft gets a patch out if you if you still want to use a logitech extreme 3d pro let me know have a way you can do also </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I have a Logitech 2.4 Cordless and am having the same problem as everyone else. Please let there be a fix soon!

DocMaggot
04-01-2006, 03:02 AM
Wow!
I've spent over an hour simply looking for any sign that the frustrating experience I am having with inability to customize the Controls on this demo..are my error or a glitch!

It was a relief to find not Me ---but Ubi has alienated me with Silence! SAitek's Cyborg Evo is not to blame either...they have extensive mapping utilities...but I still need Instructions..Heck, at least we enthusiasts will read what you give us!

Jerseyme
04-01-2006, 04:53 AM
They have really screwed up here I think,four of us have being banging our heads over this.Really bad news UBI sort it please.

Kdynastie
04-01-2006, 04:58 AM
yes,
my MS Precision 2 works fine too!

liadanaf
04-01-2006, 07:04 AM
I have the same damm problem with my "logitech wingman attack 2" please help

EtSKillJoy
04-01-2006, 08:38 AM
Ok well by all the posts I have read it seems like having a logitech or Saitek is a no go here. But I am very sure that this new patch coming out will solve all of our problems.

dmflad
04-01-2006, 06:31 PM
I pre-order the game based on website and need for flight sim. Played a bit using keyboard (lame) so went and bought Saitek Evo. Impossible to think new flight game doesn't understand joystick. Feeling I've wasted $ on game. Joystick works great w/my FlightGear sim right out of box. Would rather Ubi delayed release instead of having us wait for patch we hope will make game playable. And if I wanted to play on an XBox I'd have bought and XBox....

bbwalt
04-02-2006, 11:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by spmcfarland:
Ok, so I manged to get the joystick to work for me. Granted, this is the demo, and I don't know if it'll work for the retail version, but maybe somebody can try it and find out.

The game seems to think that if the throttle control on the joystick is fully advanced to either direction, it continues to give a signal. So if the throttle is set to full, and you try to remap something, it assums you want it remapped to the throttle.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats the way i got my saitek st290 pro to work in the demo too. just bought the full version and tried it and no go. no matter what i do it wants to assign every button to the slider button. ubi you have a serious problem here and you need to get it sorted quick.

DocMaggot
04-02-2006, 06:34 PM
I'M SUCH A TOOL!
The answer is the kid's voice in tutorial, says "Just use the Left Stick"
I'm so dumb: never thought to do THAT!

Shameful... i dunno what is a left stick?
Do you all have one? I can borrow mebbe?
Do girls have one too?
It's hard when you've been "home-schooled"

bigmikesharp
04-03-2006, 11:48 AM
Hi Guys. Same problem here except when I try to remap a JS key the game quits responding.
I have a Microsoft Swinder Forcefeedback Pro and it doesn't work.
Went to UBI support and they had no answer for the problem.

Cknobman
04-03-2006, 12:15 PM
Well I had the exact same problem as everyone here and my father does as well. He has a saitek joystick and I have a logitech wingman controller.

Contacted ubi soft and they actually replied basically telling me I dont know how to configure the joystick/gamepad properly. Bunch of A'holes!

I did get my wingman controller to work by setting my throttle control in the middle. This allowed me to map most of my keys properly but the game still will not recognize all of the x-y axis on the controller.

It plays for now but unless UBI fixes the issues this will be the last f'ing game I ever buy from them. Its a shame because I was getting really hyped up for Ghost Recon Advacned Warfighter for the PC.

I responded to ubi today letting them know that it is an issue the developer must look at and fix.

UBI why were you so lazy as to port the 360 version and not even change what was necessary for it to work properly on the pc? LAZY ARSES!

RMcSlash
04-03-2006, 01:25 PM
Developer says patch tomorrow;
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4281085773...341005924#7341005924 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4281085773/m/6561034824/r/7341005924#7341005924)

isty99
04-03-2006, 01:37 PM
hi guys , I just got the game and Ive got to say T feel like Ive been conned,what a JOKE

I like so many here was lookin forward to on line dog fights,but boy was I wrong I feel like Ive won the lotto but lost my ticket

This sucks,IBU really need to get their S--T together

Anyway I hope the patch touches down at our air field soon ,so we can all blast the S--H out of each other

WATCH YOUR 6

Judge-ArchAngel
04-04-2006, 10:04 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4281085773...101099924#6101099924 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4281085773/m/6561034824/r/6101099924#6101099924)

i got my stick to work for the most part....read my post it explains how i did it. hope it helps some until the patch comes out .....