PDA

View Full Version : Copy protection problems

Heaterbox
12-06-2004, 04:52 PM
I understand and agree with the need for copy protection but when it interfers with legit copies, what are you supposed to do? I checked through various forums for answers and the only real answer to the problem was -------. I've had to do this in the past with other games, all were ligit retail versions. Since UBI doesn't do email support and the idea of paying phone charges for a problem I didn't create doesn't work for me either I'll ask this. What would would UBI's response have been if I had called?(if anyone from UBI reads this feel free to respond)I have a sony dvd-rom DDU1613 which was not on the incompatable list, maybe it should be. By the way, -----------------------------the game now plays perfectly and I love it but I shouldn't have had to go to that much trouble. So, the final questions are "what else should I have done?" and "Is this what I'll have to do with all of UBI's titles in the future?"

Heaterbox
12-06-2004, 04:52 PM
I understand and agree with the need for copy protection but when it interfers with legit copies, what are you supposed to do? I checked through various forums for answers and the only real answer to the problem was -------. I've had to do this in the past with other games, all were ligit retail versions. Since UBI doesn't do email support and the idea of paying phone charges for a problem I didn't create doesn't work for me either I'll ask this. What would would UBI's response have been if I had called?(if anyone from UBI reads this feel free to respond)I have a sony dvd-rom DDU1613 which was not on the incompatable list, maybe it should be. By the way, -----------------------------the game now plays perfectly and I love it but I shouldn't have had to go to that much trouble. So, the final questions are "what else should I have done?" and "Is this what I'll have to do with all of UBI's titles in the future?"

Jetenginedr
12-06-2004, 06:04 PM
Due to forum rules which cover cracks..I cannot comment on anything.Mentioning them even to help any issue is a no-no also.

Ubi seems to have this on numerous games...just go through the forums and see.

Uninstall/disable the software to run/load the game.

Heaterbox
12-07-2004, 10:14 PM
Thanks for responding Jetenginedr and not just deleting my post for using a "no-no". I did look through the forums but if your not allowed to talk about this particular "no-no" what would I see? I didn't understand the "Uninstall/disable the software to run/ load the game" you mentioned, is that something I could have done instead of doing the "no-no"?

Thanks

Heaterbox

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jetenginedr:
Due to forum rules which cover cracks..I cannot comment on anything.Mentioning them even to help any issue is a no-no also.

Ubi seems to have this on numerous games...just go through the forums and see.

Uninstall/disable the software to run/load the game. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DocSEAL
12-08-2004, 11:40 PM
Basically, Jet meant to play the game the way you're probably not used to; with the CD in the drive and not running any cracks or emulator software.

Heaterbox
12-10-2004, 01:36 PM
DocSeal: Theb whole point of my original post was that the copy protection was causing a problem. I have always paid for retail versions of every game I've ever played, I've never run emulator software and the only time I ever run a crack is when the protection software interferes. In this case I had no trouble installing Farcry at all and I only planned to play the single player game, but when I hit play the Jack and Val screen popped up and froze right there. My dvd-rom would access but then just sit there and blink, I even left it like that for a while thinking it would eventually confirm the disk but it didn't. It read it well enough that if I had the wrong disk in it would tell me to put the right one in. So it comes down to this, I did try to run this game as it was meant to be run on totaly straight forward hardware and software from top to bottom. I can't be the only one this happens to, so what happens to Ubisofts PR with all the folks that don't know what's wrong or how to resolve it end up thinking the software is ****?

DocSEAL
12-10-2004, 11:52 PM
They look online in the support sections or here in the forums and/or call the support number.

Heaterbox
12-12-2004, 10:32 PM
OK Doc, that's what I'm doing...looking online in the support section and in the forum. So far All I've learned is that I can't talk about or even mention the "no-no" and then get accused of running bogus software. Now I don't wan't to spend money calling the support # for a problem I've already solved. The only question I've asked is "was there another way around the no-no problem other than the one I used?".

I hope you don't think I'm being a smartass, I was only looking for an exceptable way to solve the problem and contribute useful information to the forum about a known and ligitimate issue. But I might be willing to except that this whole problem is a figment of my imagination, if you say so! Now I am being cheeky!

DocSEAL
12-13-2004, 12:22 AM
Your problem may be that your DVD's firmware is out of date and unable to read the Far Cry disk properly. I suggest you look online for the most current version. How's that for useful without being a smarta$$?

Riftgarde
12-15-2004, 10:34 PM
And the irony is while paying customers are changing drives, updating firmware, and fiddling with disabling third party software, thieves are still stealing the latest games with the greatest of ease.

DocSEAL
12-15-2004, 10:50 PM
Ahh, so true. Things all changed with the distribution of broadband. Noone would've tried to share a 650MB iso only a few short years ago.

Riftgarde
12-15-2004, 11:12 PM
Imagine the Steam silver package in 1996 on 28.8

There might be ways to stop the stealing, but it will require a new media/drive. They all agreed on one box size, why not a console like game drive?