PDA

View Full Version : Mapping Joystick Q

gapman1940
04-09-2007, 05:53 PM
I am new to LOMAC and I can't seem to map my Microsoft Sidewinder FF Joystick as the device in the LOMAC control screen. I can click on devices and the MS stick comes up listed, but it defaults back to keyboard commands as soon as I leave that screen. I have clicked on OK, but it still does not stay with my stick. what am I missing ? Thanks

gapman1940
04-09-2007, 05:53 PM
I am new to LOMAC and I can't seem to map my Microsoft Sidewinder FF Joystick as the device in the LOMAC control screen. I can click on devices and the MS stick comes up listed, but it defaults back to keyboard commands as soon as I leave that screen. I have clicked on OK, but it still does not stay with my stick. what am I missing ? Thanks

Brit_Radar_Dude
04-09-2007, 08:54 PM
It always shows keyboard when you first go into the OPTIONS. Doesn't necessarily mean that it has lost the changes you made to add in your joystick.

There are so many commands in Lockon that the keyboard is not enough and some have to use SHIFT and ALT and CNTRL, etc. No joystick in the world has enough button combinations to do everything - hence the default first item in that pulldown menu is the keyboard.

gapman1940
04-09-2007, 09:50 PM
Wait a second ! I must have been unclear in my Q. I select my MS FF Joystik as the input device from the drop down list, but when I fire up the game all I get is movement of the aircraft-No weapons, no navigation-No NOTHING. Even when I leave the keyboard as the input device-the keys do nothing-The spacebar does not fire weapons, maybe the F key lowers the flaps and the G key brings down/up the gear-Thats it ! My Q was: How can I get my MS FF Joystick to work !(as in map the weapons, fire, use the select weapons, etc. Is that a reasonable Q ? Thanks.

konkussion
04-10-2007, 07:05 PM
It's best to map only the axis' to the stick from within LOMAC. Map the buttons on your stick using the MS profiler software instead.

Brit_Radar_Dude
04-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Not familiar with your particular joystick but it sounds like Konny is, so follow his advice on that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Even when I leave the keyboard as the input device-the keys do nothing-The spacebar does not fire weapons, maybe the F key lowers the flaps and the G key brings down/up the gear-Thats it ! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
My bad, I didn't explain myself very well in my first answer. The keyboard is always still an input device and unless you go into OPTIONS and remove key bindings they will still be there in addition to any you set up on your stick.
Sounds to me like you are not in the correct mode when you are trying to do things if some keys work but others do not.

For example, you cannot cycle between waypoints unless you are in navigation mode, you cannot fire weapons unless you are in the correct combat mode, eg press 7 for air to ground mode, 2 for BVR mode, 3, 4, 5 or 6 for CAC modes. Once in a combat mode, use D to swap between weapons. In general, Air to Air weapons won't fire unless you have a target locked and get a launch authorise from the targeting system.

Even though you want to get right into it, you should run the training tracks. They will quickly get you into the air and give you basic use of navigation and weapons and save a lot of frustration and wasted time.

konkussion
04-11-2007, 08:23 AM
This page will help you get ANY stick configured.

http://www.freewebs.com/konkussion/x45helpdesk.htm

Obviously- you are not using a Saitek product, so you cannot use the profiling info I have there, but get yourself set up with the basics using that page as a guide.

konkussion
04-11-2007, 08:24 AM
Also- you might want to disable the force feedback for lock on. I don't think they ever got that working quite right.

gapman1940
04-11-2007, 08:38 AM
Thanks everyone-All your "hints" worked well. It's not easy being a "NOOB".