PDA

View Full Version : Getting Co-Op Working

rkato
04-03-2005, 12:42 AM
Alright, in it current state, coop crashes a lot. However, I have found a partner and we've played a whole lot isolating disconnect/crash scenarios, and this is what we did. Hopefully this will help some people out there until Ubi releases a patch to thwart the evil and darkness of the bugs inhabiting SC3.

So, before I joined up with this guy, i'd played with other people in coop. It was luck finding joinable games, but it seems your best bet is finding someone who has configured their router properly, or isn't behind a firewall/doesn't have a router at all. Blackop's has no router and is behind no firewall. With other people, I noticed that I was always getting crappy FPS no matter that my system is fine, specs below:

A64 3200+
K8N-E
OCZ 1gb PC3200 Memory
BFG 6800GTOC
Audigy 2
XP, SP2
DX 9.0c

We're both using Shader 1.1. I'm running at 1280x1024. I've got AFx4, Trilinear, Specular Lightning and Hardware Shadow Mapping. Since his card is the same, (but im not sure about his proc speed) he probably has similar if not the same settings.

But when I joined Blackop's server, we were able to play and we both noted that it wasn't choppy at all. Get this, we're in the same time zone, so we're pretty near. We have decent connections, and his system specs are similar to mine. (6800GT, but an Athlon instead of A64)

So, first thing to do is to try and find someone near you + someone with similar specs. I'm guessing if you play with someone with crapper specs, they somehow bottleneck your performance, no matter if you lower your settings. (I was playing with a bunch of 5200, 5600 users, and had the crappy FPS problem).

Also, I noticed that playing with 5.1 sound would cause the game to crash. Believe me, we tested the game from fresh restarts, one time with 5.1, the other with stereo. The game crashed with 5.1 when dialogue started--some kind of sound problem, synchronization maybe? I don't know. But it would always disconnect when the general starts reprimanding that soldier in Seoul.

Also, disable voice chat. This thing is just iffy, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't While I've been able to play with others with voice chat enabled, it always causes a game disconnect for us.

We also noted that setting up a passworded server prevented us from using game-lobby and in-game chat.

Loading a quicksave would also cause a disconnect error upon completion of the reload.

We also go through a complete system restart anytime we do get a disconnect or a crash (like tonight I enabled voice chat just to test and it crashed, so we did a full restart). This seems to decrease the chances for subsequent crashing, perhaps SC3 has a memory leak?

It's really working for us though, tonight we were able to play Chemical Bunker, not complete it (because its ****ing tough) but we were able to replay like 4 or 5 times. Good fun. Yesterday night, we played Panama an assload of times, 5, 6 maybe no crashes but we kept losing, one of us would do something stupid and we'd lose. Same deal with seoul, we are able to replay it repeatedly, no crashes.

So basically:
-find someone nearby, with similar specs
-no voice chat
-no 5.1
-restart system after crashes
-use shader 1.1
-do not PW games if you want to be able to use in-game chat

rkato
04-03-2005, 12:42 AM
Alright, in it current state, coop crashes a lot. However, I have found a partner and we've played a whole lot isolating disconnect/crash scenarios, and this is what we did. Hopefully this will help some people out there until Ubi releases a patch to thwart the evil and darkness of the bugs inhabiting SC3.

So, before I joined up with this guy, i'd played with other people in coop. It was luck finding joinable games, but it seems your best bet is finding someone who has configured their router properly, or isn't behind a firewall/doesn't have a router at all. Blackop's has no router and is behind no firewall. With other people, I noticed that I was always getting crappy FPS no matter that my system is fine, specs below:

A64 3200+
K8N-E
OCZ 1gb PC3200 Memory
BFG 6800GTOC
Audigy 2
XP, SP2
DX 9.0c

We're both using Shader 1.1. I'm running at 1280x1024. I've got AFx4, Trilinear, Specular Lightning and Hardware Shadow Mapping. Since his card is the same, (but im not sure about his proc speed) he probably has similar if not the same settings.

But when I joined Blackop's server, we were able to play and we both noted that it wasn't choppy at all. Get this, we're in the same time zone, so we're pretty near. We have decent connections, and his system specs are similar to mine. (6800GT, but an Athlon instead of A64)

So, first thing to do is to try and find someone near you + someone with similar specs. I'm guessing if you play with someone with crapper specs, they somehow bottleneck your performance, no matter if you lower your settings. (I was playing with a bunch of 5200, 5600 users, and had the crappy FPS problem).

Also, I noticed that playing with 5.1 sound would cause the game to crash. Believe me, we tested the game from fresh restarts, one time with 5.1, the other with stereo. The game crashed with 5.1 when dialogue started--some kind of sound problem, synchronization maybe? I don't know. But it would always disconnect when the general starts reprimanding that soldier in Seoul.

Also, disable voice chat. This thing is just iffy, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't While I've been able to play with others with voice chat enabled, it always causes a game disconnect for us.

We also noted that setting up a passworded server prevented us from using game-lobby and in-game chat.

Loading a quicksave would also cause a disconnect error upon completion of the reload.

We also go through a complete system restart anytime we do get a disconnect or a crash (like tonight I enabled voice chat just to test and it crashed, so we did a full restart). This seems to decrease the chances for subsequent crashing, perhaps SC3 has a memory leak?

It's really working for us though, tonight we were able to play Chemical Bunker, not complete it (because its ****ing tough) but we were able to replay like 4 or 5 times. Good fun. Yesterday night, we played Panama an assload of times, 5, 6 maybe no crashes but we kept losing, one of us would do something stupid and we'd lose. Same deal with seoul, we are able to replay it repeatedly, no crashes.

So basically:
-find someone nearby, with similar specs
-no voice chat
-no 5.1
-restart system after crashes
-use shader 1.1
-do not PW games if you want to be able to use in-game chat