PDA

View Full Version : "Versus" Video Poll for San Diego Comic-Con 2009

QuidProKuo
07-14-2009, 06:00 PM
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Smash-Up will be on display at this year’s San Diego Comic-Con. Not going to be able to make it to SDCC this year? Don’t worry, we still want you to get a taste of TMNT: Smash-Up, that’s why we’ve put together this poll. We’re going to record a demonstration of the game straight from the show floor and you get to pick for which two characters we show! (This is not the final roster, it's just what's being shown at SDCC!)

Just vote for which character you would like to see in a one versus one matchup. We’ll take the two characters with the most votes and have two members of the production team go in-depth on their moves. Then they’ll duke it out for your amusement and we’ll post the video at events.ubi.com.

Vote now!

Timothy2035
07-14-2009, 11:46 PM
I voted for Donatello. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

TurtleFreak
07-15-2009, 07:24 AM
This is a great idea! It's so hard to pick just one character. I really want to see Leo more in-depth, but I had to go with one of the new characters since we've seen at least some of the moves of the original seven characters. So I went with Casey! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

jake_manutd
07-15-2009, 08:10 AM
I voted Leonardo. Will this video be posted on here?

ViperJLT4GOV
07-15-2009, 10:16 AM
<span class="ev_code_Red">? Hot Leo action is what I want to see. I would vote Utrominator since he looks interesting, but I want to see more Leo action first. =P ?</span>

QuidProKuo
07-15-2009, 11:23 AM
The video will be posted at http://events.ubi.com

Peachrocks
07-15-2009, 12:44 PM
Don

Surprised at Casey's popularity, but I suppose that's because we haven't seen much of him yet.

I'd like Karai vs April tbh but April has no votes and Karai isn't in the game yet :P.

quino711
07-15-2009, 01:10 PM
Donatello http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

DOS_Turtle
07-16-2009, 03:56 PM
just wondering "why do we have to vote for the characters you're gonna show us?"

don't you have the time to explain the moves of every character mentioned there?

as it has smash bros. mechanics as it seems, they can't be that complicated or massive that you can only show us two.

QuidProKuo
07-16-2009, 04:33 PM
Because we only have so much time with the devs at the show, they'll be doing a lot of other stuff there. Besides, we can't show off everything all at once. There's always a scheduled rollout plan for stuff like this.

stockman2686
07-17-2009, 12:09 AM
I voted Casey Jones. And if I could vote for an arena, it would be anything but the jungle. Although the jungle looks cool, we have seen enough of it already. We've also seen a good amount of the sewers and the city

FalconSuxNBrawl
07-17-2009, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by stockman2686:
I voted Casey Jones. And if I could vote for an arena, it would be anything but the jungle. Although the jungle looks cool, we have seen enough of it already. We've also seen a good amount of the sewers and the city

I voted Casey, too. We've seen a lot of the Turtles through all the past videos and I'm sure there will be a lot more coming. Also, I agree with you on seeing some new stages (though the dojo stage is probably best for showing off some moves).

IMO, Casey vs Utrominator would be pretty cool to show off. They are possibly the two characters in the list so far with potentially more unique style and/or moveset (Casey has a bag of weapons and Utrominator... just look at him).

Dharos
07-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Gotta go with the Shredder man

shajita
07-17-2009, 10:09 AM
I voted for Raphael.
Awesome idea btw. Thanks Ubisoft.

Leodan209
07-19-2009, 08:55 AM
I voted for Leonardo!

Jingoku
07-20-2009, 09:52 AM
Come on, give the Shredhead some love.

shinigamihedge
07-20-2009, 12:46 PM
I'd like to see how creative a moveset can be when involving Nunchakus, so I voted Mike!

DOS_Turtle
07-20-2009, 01:33 PM
why that many votes for april? i think she is one of the least interesting characters for a turtles fighting game. i mean she never fought until the 2007 movie.

TurtleFreak
07-20-2009, 03:13 PM
The name is below the poll result. April only has one vote right now.

FalconSuxNBrawl
07-20-2009, 04:00 PM
I was thinking why so many for Leonardo?

You're going to be getting something in the middle akin to Ryu or Mario.

I won't be surprised if he has some kind of fireball, dragon punch, and spin attack.

That's so... vanilla.

DOS_Turtle
07-21-2009, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by TurtleFreak:
The name is below the poll result. April only has one vote right now.

oh indeed, thanks ^^

good thing many voted vor casey.

jake_manutd
07-22-2009, 05:55 AM
Is the poll over becuase comic-con is tomorrow. So its Shredder vs Leo or Casey.

blackandblue85
07-22-2009, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by FalconSuxNBrawl:
I was thinking why so many for Leonardo?

You're going to be getting something in the middle akin to Ryu or Mario.

I won't be surprised if he has some kind of fireball, dragon punch, and spin attack.

That's so... vanilla.

Let me help you out:

I watched a lot of TMNT smash up vids and I saw alot. So did the people on this site. But you want to know about leo? I know some of his attacks, and let me tell you, Leo will probably be my second main right behind Donnie. You will not be disappointed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

SenordrummeR2
07-22-2009, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by DOS_Turtle:
why that many votes for april? i think she is one of the least interesting characters for a turtles fighting game. i mean she never fought until the 2007 movie.

Actually, in the original movie April did hit one of the Foot Soldiers with her purse. That constitutes fighting, seeing as how they retaliated and knocked her out. Honestly, you call yourself a turtle fan? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

April actually does have come cool moves in the game. She uses the sword, and she moves faster than some of the others. I played as her and Shredder when I tested the demo. Shredder reminded me of Ganondorf, but both were pretty cool.

I voted for Casey.

tenor335
07-22-2009, 11:39 AM
April faught before the 07 movie. She faught in the 2003 show a little bit as well. And I don't have any idea if she faught in the comics but I wouldn't be surprised if she did at some point. 2003 April is badass. I want that April.

FalconSuxNBrawl
07-22-2009, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by blackandblue85:
Let me help you out:

I watched a lot of TMNT smash up vids and I saw alot. So did the people on this site. But you want to know about leo? I know some of his attacks, and let me tell you, Leo will probably be my second main right behind Donnie. You will not be disappointed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I'm sure showing Leo's move wouldn't be all a disappointment.

At least it will no doubt help me get an idea about how the game is played. Also, Leo being considered the "balanced" turtle is probably a good character to compare how different other characters are.

Peachrocks
07-22-2009, 04:01 PM
Meh Shredder v Leo is boring and its been done to death... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif. Casey either over those will be much better.

tenor335
07-23-2009, 01:23 AM
I don't really want to see Shredder, I'm not a fan of slower characters... and would much rather see Splinter. I do really wanna see Leo though. I plan on being lethal with leo.

shinigamihedge
07-23-2009, 08:36 AM
I'd like to see Raph vs Casey, for nostalgia's sake.

And Michaelangelo vs Ultrominator for some reason. I wanna see Mike trash him, though. :P

QuidProKuo
07-24-2009, 03:44 PM
Okay guys, the votes are in and it's Shredder vs. Leonardo. Thanks for voting guys! Keep an eye on http://events.ubi.com for the video.

Kooichi-kun
07-24-2009, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by QuidProKuo:
Okay guys, the votes are in and it's Shredder vs. Leonardo. Thanks for voting guys! Keep an eye on http://events.ubi.com for the video.
That is quite a fitting match
xD

tenor335
07-24-2009, 09:25 PM
Is it coming on sometime tonight? Or are we gonna a have to wait till monday for the site to be updated?

jake_manutd
07-25-2009, 03:45 AM
That link comes up saying you are not able to view this materials at this time. Why is this? I want to see it.

tenor335
07-25-2009, 12:52 PM
It hasn't even been posted yet. Is it going to be posted before the end of the weekend? Or do we have to wait for a weekday like with normal updates?

QuidProKuo
07-27-2009, 04:08 PM
Sorry guys, the video was delayed. I'm hoping they'll have it up today on the events.ubi.com site. I'll post any updates as I get them.

tenor335
07-27-2009, 04:15 PM
Ok. Thanks for getting back to us!!

quino711
07-27-2009, 04:27 PM
I can't wait to see the videoo http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

jake_manutd
07-28-2009, 12:25 PM
New videos are up on youtube but not the Leo/Shredder fight unfortunatly. It really has got to be today or tomorrow.

tenor335
07-29-2009, 11:21 AM
Seriously, still not here? If I was this late to work I would have probably been fired and presumed dead. We need that video, and it's probably getting close enough to release that we should probably start getting little tid-bits of new info every day like brawl did on their site, even if it was only elaborating on the modes on some days. Mondays you could introduce a new stage, Tuesdays show a video of fighting in that stage, Wednesdays show off a new character, and than Thursdays show a video of the new character. Then on fridays you could detail one of the game modes a little bit more or something. There's enough left that it would get us through about seven weeks starting next week, which would bring us to release.

shinigamihedge
07-29-2009, 11:40 AM
Relax, it's not like we'll be getting that much new info from a Leo vs Shredder video anyway. :P

There are some new videos at the official site, though still no signs of that particular video which you speak of.

Maybe a video that goes in-depth with the battle system would be nice.

tenor335
07-29-2009, 11:43 AM
That's what they were going to do with those two characters before the actual fight. That's why I want the video.

shinigamihedge
07-29-2009, 11:56 AM
What we need is what you said.

Have an "update" system to the site very much like Brawl's "Dojo".

Monday: Music
Tuesday: Video
Wednesday: Technical information (moves)
Thursday: Modes
Friday: Stage/Character

Would be pretty awesome. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Now that you mention that... I'll join you in demanding that video.

QuidProKuo
07-29-2009, 07:14 PM
Sorry for the delay guys, the video is up right here:

http://events.us.ubi.com/comic-con-2009/

Peachrocks
07-30-2009, 02:48 AM
As much as I haven't played it yet I gotta have a few thoughts here. I might be off but...

Leonardo's upwards sword throw seems useless. Regardless of whether its smash bros or street fighter, its pretty rare your opponent is directly above you long enough for this move to be useful, especially considering the wind up it has. If it was on a diagonal, this would be much more useful.

Forward is ok, but Leo is open for a rather long time.

Breakdance/backspin, I do not like the look of this move, it looks spam friendly and there's not a lot of lag either, and they do not need to focus on where their opponent is. I hope its not like melee Peach's blender dress of death (Smash down).

Shredder's charge sword is definately useless. How often do you see people who know what they are doing get hit by a Falcon Punch? Not often to almost never, especially in 1vs1. Even when Leo gets hit by this move here he makes no attempt to avoid it.

As cool as the move is, it is not very useful competitively. Better would have been to allow a charge, which can be released as Shredder pleases, more like Ike and Marth's move. This move is useful as it gives control to the player which always critical for fun and balance. However Shredder's moves do appear to have a ton of priority.

Wall diving looks interesting, hard to know how useful it is but again, I hope its not too spam friendly.

I mentioned it elsewhere but one thing I REALLY like is being able to grab through rolls like in most fighting games and unlike smash.

FalconSuxNBrawl
07-30-2009, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by Peachrocks:
Leonardo's upwards sword throw seems useless. Regardless of whether its smash bros or street fighter, its pretty rare your opponent is directly above you long enough for this move to be useful, especially considering the wind up it has. If it was on a diagonal, this would be much more useful.

If your opponent is above you on a floating platform, it looks like free damage.

Shredder's charge sword is definately useless. How often do you see people who know what they are doing get hit by a Falcon Punch? Not often to almost never, especially in 1vs1.

I also gotta disagree with you on this. In 1v1, Falcon Punch is near pointless to do when your opponent is going to survive the hit especially when they have 0%. You put yourself at risk just for percentage that could be more easily (and safely) attained through "normal" attacks. Plus, "the knee" is about just as strong a hit and much easier to hit with.

But in Smash Up, hitting with Shredder's sword appears to do a lot of damage and this damage is a much bigger deal than percentage in Smash. Successfully hitting with Shredder's sword is equally rewarding if you hit your opponent when they have full health or partial health. It is absolutely guaranteed to make your opponent that much closer to death. While with Smash's percentage system, the same guarantee doesn't hold with Falcon Punch since your opponent may live for a very long time even through high percentage. So having the move gives Shredder a "wild card" attack that could lead to huge comebacks. It is somewhat like Matt said "high risk/high reward".

Also, in a team game, the use of the move most likely improves. You probably know this already with Jigglypuff rest attack in team games.

Wall diving looks interesting, hard to know how useful it is but again, I hope its not too spam friendly.

Yes, I worry about this as well. Vulnerability during or at least after would discourage spamming it.

TurtleFreak
07-30-2009, 07:53 AM
Leonardo's upwards sword throw seems useless.

Depending on priority and whether or not the attack does any damage before the swords reach their apex, it could be a nice move against down-aerial spammers -- y'know, the attacks that send you straight down really fast.

shinigamihedge
07-30-2009, 08:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peachrocks:
Leonardo's upwards sword throw seems useless.

Depending on priority and whether or not the attack does any damage before the swords reach their apex, it could be a nice move against down-aerial spammers -- y'know, the attacks that send you straight down really fast. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I second this. This game has a lot of aerial momentum going on, and characters tend to float a bit, so this move will make those aerial fighters think twice before jumping over Leo's head. Even as a regular uppercut this move will do the trick.

Wait a minute... I just remembered something..

What ever happened to the "loss of weapons"? Was this ruled out? Or is there still a way to disarm your opponent? I thought I heard something like this was possible at the beginning... Then again I might've interpreted that because of the first trailer...

TurtleFreak
07-30-2009, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by shinigamihedge:
What ever happened to the "loss of weapons"?

I've never heard anything about that.

shinigamihedge
07-30-2009, 09:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shinigamihedge:
What ever happened to the "loss of weapons"?

I've never heard anything about that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably unconciously made that up because of Raph and Leo losing their weapons in the first trailer. :P

deathtojohnny
07-30-2009, 01:02 PM
Bebop vs. Rocksteady.

DOS_Turtle
07-30-2009, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by deathtojohnny:
Bebop vs. Rocksteady.

haha, now that is an interesting request ^^

Peachrocks
07-30-2009, 06:30 PM
It doesnt really matter whether its damage or percentage based, point being is the move should never hit anyone who knows what they are doing.

Shredder may have more strategic oppurtunies than Falcon does, but the number of oppurtunies is irrelevant because it still stands that the move is extremely easy to avoid and its basically a written invitation to beat Shredder up.

Perhaps in multi way brawls it can hit people, but really characters should be balanced on a 1on1 basis because people who play free for alls don't usually care that much for balance. Therefore all my arguments are usually on a 1on1 basis, where you know yourself and you know your opponent http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

In any case you pretty much know exactly where he's going to hit about 2 seconds before he actually does the move, that's plenty of time to get out provided you are trying to.

If there's a way to combo that move in, then its certainly imbalanced.

If Leo's sword throw was a touch faster, then maybe, but it's pretty slow or at least, it looks this way. Characters might be in the air a lot, but because of the wind up speed on both the start up and recovery, you could easily fake a Leo into doing this move and punish them. Especially if you can air dodge.

I don't know all the physics on this game yet, but I'm just hoping in vain that they don't have a bunch of useless characters and one or two that dominate

shinigamihedge
07-30-2009, 07:24 PM
Shredder may have more strategic oppurtunies than Falcon does, but the number of oppurtunies is irrelevant because it still stands that the move is extremely easy to avoid and its basically a written invitation to beat Shredder up.

Have you forgotten that characters may become dizzy? Perhaps this move could be used then. I know it's a relatively short ammount of time, because a player will waggle or button mash in order to regain conciousness.. but it still takes a while to regain it. So I think this might be the best opportunity to use it.

And remember Shredder has 3 variations of this move, he could use it to edgeguard on some levels.

it's kinda like the Warlock Punch, except there are 3 aiming directions. Let's wait and see how it could be applied.

FalconSuxNBrawl
07-30-2009, 07:35 PM
...the move is extremely easy to avoid and its basically a written invitation to beat Shredder up.

True, it may be easy for your opponent to avoid it when they are on their feet, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to hit people with it. I agree it is dumb to throw this move out with only hopes of it working.

But all hope is not lost. If the problem is your opponent easily avoiding the hit, try putting them in situations where your opponent cannot easily avoid the hit: perhaps via knockdown, maybe through good positioning (trapping them by a wall perhaps), or some other clever use of the stage design or hazards.

If you don't want the sword to be an invitation to beat on you, do the move when they are not in a position to beat on you (or at least not a harsh beating): during recovery time of your opponent's evasive maneuver, after a knock down or juggle, dizzy state (like shinigamihedge mentioned hah! thanks, bro!), perhaps back turned state, or with good spacing (move appears to have some range).

It doesnt really matter whether its damage or percentage based...

Have you not seen some Smash Up video where the victor is determined first by amount of lives, then by health? You can lose by amount of health in this game. Well, the sword appears to deal almost half a life bar of damage. It could be a move that turn the tides (even if it happens rarely).

Just a possible situation:
What if you had a health deficit, and there wasn't much time on the clock, and you needed to deal a large amount of damage in a short amount of time to pull out a win: this could be THAT move you need.

Just because you can't spam a move doesn't mean it's worthless. If there is at least a little value/use to the move (even if it's situational), then it is not worthless. It may be THE right move you need that that certain situation calls for.

BTW, I don't like free-for-all's very much. :P

Peachrocks
07-31-2009, 05:48 AM
Well for starters its largely speculation on both counts but put it this way.

If the move is somehow comboable, either through dizzy or juggle, its bound to be too strong, I doubt it though, the move is said to high risk, high reward.

I guess I'm saying if you can somehow guarantee a hit, it'll be too strong but based on what was said, I doubt this is so. Otherwise the move is rather poor. It's a balance flaw either way.

Aside from allowing a charge, another way to make it more useful (assuming its not comboable which I'm pretty sure it isn't) is allow Shredder to absorb a hit or two without flinching (sort of like SF4's focus attack or super armour in brawl) which makes it a bit more 'scary' :P.

I guess I keep thinking of Falcon punch, which is commonly said to be a cool/funny but bad move. It 'may' be a mistake to think this way, but because of the lack of recovery needed for the game (many of the stages do not have a bottom to die on), it seems much harder to 'force' your opponent to move to your liking. The fighting appears to be far more mobile, which is bad for a move like this one.

From what I've seen in games, power characters are almost always based off 'high risk, high reward moves' and they usually end being rubbish and if they don't they end up being too powerful because the character is almost entirely based around landing such a move. It's something I wish they wouldn't do, because it doesn't usually create good balance.

However it is speculation, I could be completely off the mark, and even if this move of Shredders is poor, it is only one move, not every move can be a useful one.

shinigamihedge
07-31-2009, 07:57 AM
There are people who like using this type of character even on 1 on 1s.

But those who don't take competition seriously, will use Shredder in 4 character brawls, because with him they'll get more kills and will probably win.

There was one guy who said that Shredder was a cheap character, and that's why he used him, because he always came out victorious. But he was only using him in 4 character brawls, I bet.

Think of it like Ike in free for alls.

FalconSuxNBrawl
07-31-2009, 11:38 AM
Peachrocks, it's easy to see you like your moves to be practical. You shared your ideas on some moves you thought appear weak and some of us opened up some discussion. It's all good. We obviously have some background playing Smash and have gotten a lot of ideas and experience from that.

I got ahead of myself since this game looks like Smash. Though after reading about the game and even after watching game play videos, I really don't know how this game will play out. It could be very very different from Smash.

Change is good.

Peachrocks
07-31-2009, 06:42 PM
Ya but speculation is good too.

Obviously the game will be different, but how? I'm not sure and I think there are some rules that can be applied to both. They are marketing this game off its similarity to smash so there has gotta be some of its logic you can apply.

It's not only practical, I probably will never use Shredder, even though he's the main villian I've never really taken to any of his incarnations.

My main concern is not wanting the usable characters to be countable on my thumbs like in many other games that I otherwise like but never take off competitively because of this. I can never know of course but even so.

FalconSuxNBrawl
07-31-2009, 09:04 PM
Definitely. I like seeing character variety too and not just because someone thinks it'll be to fun to pull out some poor character that gets beat on by the rest of the cast.