PDA

View Full Version : I DEMAND Customizable Armies for Duels!

Noriym
04-15-2006, 03:34 AM
Don't implement a brilliant concept such as Duel mode and not include the ability for the player to play with more than the paultry 6 presets! Giving the player the option to construct his own armies will blow the online scene wide open with infinite strategy and tactics. If you allow us to contruct our own "decks", I believe Duel mode will become THE online mode of choice even for veteran HOMM'ers.

It is unfathomable that a company who used this very concept I'm proposing in their great Etherlord series would not include that full concept here, in HOMM, where there will be a much larger audience. In fact, an implementation exactly like Etherlords II is what I desire, complete with the ability to buy skills, stats, and spells for you hero.

Whatever system they decide to use, the ability to make ones own army is an absolute must here. Each time I start up another duel game with the same boring presets, I cry over the hundreds of other army combinations I'd love to explore. I clamored about this in the beta, but I have heard nothing yet from Nival. Please someone tell me that this feature is indeed on its way for retail! Or was this something they wanted to do but had to axe it cus of budget/release push?!

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Noriym
04-15-2006, 03:34 AM
Don't implement a brilliant concept such as Duel mode and not include the ability for the player to play with more than the paultry 6 presets! Giving the player the option to construct his own armies will blow the online scene wide open with infinite strategy and tactics. If you allow us to contruct our own "decks", I believe Duel mode will become THE online mode of choice even for veteran HOMM'ers.

It is unfathomable that a company who used this very concept I'm proposing in their great Etherlord series would not include that full concept here, in HOMM, where there will be a much larger audience. In fact, an implementation exactly like Etherlords II is what I desire, complete with the ability to buy skills, stats, and spells for you hero.

Whatever system they decide to use, the ability to make ones own army is an absolute must here. Each time I start up another duel game with the same boring presets, I cry over the hundreds of other army combinations I'd love to explore. I clamored about this in the beta, but I have heard nothing yet from Nival. Please someone tell me that this feature is indeed on its way for retail! Or was this something they wanted to do but had to axe it cus of budget/release push?!

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

HealingAura
04-15-2006, 04:02 AM
I also liked this in Etherlords (that's the best feature of Etherlords for me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif, better than the strategy game), however, in Etherlords every spell had it's cost. I don't think they can give a price for each unit skill ability and such. If they do, Sylvan will be annihilated since they are based on Favored enemy.

Also, in the final game we will see a lot more heroes I guess

Jolly-Joker
04-15-2006, 04:05 AM
Hello? This is a demo! A DEMO!

akrav
04-15-2006, 04:09 AM
healingaura:
In miniheroes game which is a simplified heroes 5, they made it so its kinda balanced.

I know balancing it for heroes 5 will be much harder, but it is possible to assign a cost to each hero and type of unit and make sylvan heroes cheaper or something and the concept will be like minihero game in a way.

HealingAura
04-15-2006, 04:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by akrav:
healingaura:
In miniheroes game which is a simplified heroes 5, they made it so its kinda balanced.

I know balancing it for heroes 5 will be much harder, but it is possible to assign a cost to each hero and type of unit and make sylvan heroes cheaper or something and the concept will be like minihero game in a way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
In heroes mini game you just buy creatures. It doesn't mean that you can choose skills and abilities and spells and artifacts and atributes and level.

I don't think we'll see a castomizable armies in duel mode, it's find the way it is now. If we do see this option in the final game then there should be a "no castomized heroes" option in the duel

akrav
04-15-2006, 04:22 AM
ye I agree customizing heroes is too much, but using preset heroes and customized armies would be fun aswell.

It will be extremely fun if they supply 30-40 unique preset heroes and let you customize your army, that you can build up after victories. After picking your hero in the start, it will cost you many points to swap the hero for another one, but you have the option to swap.

they should make it so if you got an army+hero that uses 6000 whatever points, that you can only fight some1 with more than 5xxx+ points in his/her army+hero.

Bossmanz
04-15-2006, 04:27 AM
The problem with preset heroes is that they aren't balanced well. Soon after release people will learn which of them is the most overpowered and start using only that.

akrav
04-15-2006, 04:31 AM
so nival can modify it so the preset heroes that are quite good would cost more.

In the current system of everything being preset, Im sure its only a matter of time before ppl figure out which is the best preset and many ppl use it.

either way it will be ages before either method can/will be balanced.

Noriym
04-15-2006, 04:08 PM
What is this "mini heroes game" you guys are talking about?

akrav:
Why would customizable heroes be too much? I think it would be really cool if we had say 20 points to allocate the way we choose among the 4 major attributes. Then we get to choose 6 or so skills for our hero. Finally we could make our own custom spell books, costing points for each spell added. Balance of course would be really important, but how would this feature be a bad thing?

Again, they need not look any further than their own games Etherlords 1&2 for great examples.

Keep the presets for the newer players, always fun to jump right into a game with a decent build. But allow the advanced players to construct their own. All is needed is a robust point system and good balance in the ruleset for army construction.

Also introduce some sort of diminishing returns for creating 1-type armies (again ala Etherlords). No one wants to see an army with 20 Black Dragons and 1 spell in the spellbook named Armageddon trouncing all the other builds, at least, not with some serious point sacrifices.

znork
04-15-2006, 04:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jolly-Joker:
Hello? This is a demo! A DEMO! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh i thought it was a beta http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

Infiltrator-SF
04-15-2006, 05:32 PM
Well if you look at the other squares there's 18 of em, so I guess by retail we'll get 3 of each towns heroes to duel with.

goznik
04-15-2006, 05:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jolly-Joker:
Hello? This is a demo! A DEMO! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Customizable Armies for Duels wont be implemented in the finall game,
and thats a shame http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Polaris2013
04-15-2006, 09:05 PM
It would be nice to be able to customize armies, but in the long run I don't think it's that important. Multiplayer veterans would eventually discover the "best" builds and at that point you're still just picking a "preset".

Hakuryu9999
04-16-2006, 12:20 AM
You get experience from duels apparently, so it would be cool if your hero leveled and gained new skills and abilities, that you could save.

Then your 20th level custom guy could fight with the same army, but have a different strat based upon how he is setup. No player would have an advantage if they are at the same level becuase the hero's would both have only so many skills.

CaptFallout
04-16-2006, 12:36 AM
The only way anyone would play Duel for more than a few times is if armies are customizable.

As the demo shows, some heroes will dominate. There isn't much anyone can do to counter that except wait for a patch. If armies could be customized, a creative person could come up with a strategy to counter almost anything.

Magic The Gathering is a very crappy game when it comes to the actual combat mechanics, just like HOMM 5. The redeeming factor is that you can make your own deck to try completely unique strategies.

Let is make our own army!

Oakwarrior
04-16-2006, 01:27 AM
Look on the bright side guys!

If it isn't gonna be in the final release, it'll prolly be in an expansion, IMO.

Noriym
04-16-2006, 01:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Infiltrator-SF:
Well if you look at the other squares there's 18 of em, so I guess by retail we'll get 3 of each towns heroes to duel with. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope you're right, I hope you're right. Perhaps 18 presets would tide me for now.

But they better be balanced, not the Ossir dominance we have right now.

H5forem
04-17-2006, 12:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Noriym:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Infiltrator-SF:
Well if you look at the other squares there's 18 of em, so I guess by retail we'll get 3 of each towns heroes to duel with. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope you're right, I hope you're right. Perhaps 18 presets would tide me for now.

But they better be balanced, not the Ossir dominance we have right now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't wanna equal armies... if u want a challenge u pick a weak heroe against a strong one http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

But it will be good to have 3 heroes/town: one weak, one medium, one strong