PDA

View Full Version : Ubi Moderators, Stop the Madness

vietvettwo
05-09-2007, 09:20 PM
While I can understand that some people are disappointed with the game, and want to see things changed, there are many more people who are happy with SH4, but if the game can be fine tuned, certainly are not going to complain.

I put myself in the second category, but I would suggest the following:

I am guessing that the moderators have at least some degree of contact with Ubi that we don't. If that's the case, can we find out if there will be any additional official patches to the game? Not asking when, just if and here's why.

I have stayed away from the mods that are talked about because my understanding is they can conflict with official patches when they come out. If there are no more patches coming then folks like myself can mod-up as they see fit and get on with it.

I for one would like to see folks climbing down from their soap boxes, and getting back to things like swapping patrol stories, tactics and the like. Constantly rehashing the bug list is getting pretty boring I think.

vietvettwo
05-09-2007, 09:20 PM
While I can understand that some people are disappointed with the game, and want to see things changed, there are many more people who are happy with SH4, but if the game can be fine tuned, certainly are not going to complain.

I put myself in the second category, but I would suggest the following:

I am guessing that the moderators have at least some degree of contact with Ubi that we don't. If that's the case, can we find out if there will be any additional official patches to the game? Not asking when, just if and here's why.

I have stayed away from the mods that are talked about because my understanding is they can conflict with official patches when they come out. If there are no more patches coming then folks like myself can mod-up as they see fit and get on with it.

I for one would like to see folks climbing down from their soap boxes, and getting back to things like swapping patrol stories, tactics and the like. Constantly rehashing the bug list is getting pretty boring I think.

Frumpkis
05-09-2007, 09:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have stayed away from the mods that are talked about because my understanding is they can conflict with official patches when they come out. If there are no more patches coming then folks like myself can mod-up as they see fit and get on with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know about the other mods, but the FFT mod being discussed here installs with a shell called "Generic Mod Enabler." It saves a backup of your stock configuration, so it's easy to revert back to vanilla before a new patch comes out. At least in theory.

I'd like to hear about patch plans too, but some game companies don't like to publish their patch roadmap, untl the last one is rolled out and they move on to the next game. I'm taking it as a positive sign that we haven't heard from Ubi that 1.2 is definitely the last one. No news is good news, in that respect. IIRC, we did hear with SH3 when the last patch was the final one.

davizr
05-09-2007, 09:46 PM
The moderators are all over it already, they have said they will tell us as soon as they know.

If you install mods with JSGME there is no-need to stay away from mods.

Just unload the mods when the patch comes out, d/l the 1.3 compatible mods (most modders state what revision its tested with) and load them back up.

Otherwise, you are missing out on some good gameplay with good mods waiting for a patch which may or may not come out.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

lane2512
05-09-2007, 10:12 PM
This forum has a button for 'new discussion'. I understand why some players are frustrated, but every single thread in which someone says 'hey look at this it was great', or 'this is how I made my attack run', or 'look at these screen shots' a disatisfied customer has to stomp on the thread and make it a bug report.

I don't have a 1/1000 of the number of problems that I read about here. I patched it, added a couple of mods and it works. I have a good time and do not have problems that kill the game for me.

All I am asking is that the ney-sayers have some respect for us who want to discuss the game and comment on it in a positive way. We aren't discounting your concerns but you sure are discounting our enthusiasm.

VikingGrandad
05-10-2007, 01:28 AM
Just to confirm - as soon as we know about the next patch, we (or more likely one of the Community Managers) will announce it in the forum.

(remember, we play SH4 and need the patch too!)

Haggis45
05-10-2007, 02:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VikingGrandad:
Just to confirm - as soon as we know about the next patch, we (or more likely one of the Community Managers) will announce it in the forum.

(remember, we play SH4 and need the patch too!) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

Oh and i know that some folks indirectly point the finger at me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif But hey, there are NEW folks here that ask for honest opinions; posting a current bug report is an honest opinion of the games present state and with that, those new guys can make their OWN honest opinion (on top of many others gleamed personal opinions) on whether to get the game or not.
I don't see a problem with it? It's better than painting the game a 'rosy picture' and then getting another annoyed person here isn't it.

What one person sees as brilliant, another will rip your head off. Put the facts in front of them and let them decide.
Yes i do actualy enjoy playing SH4 (in between the sub 'instant sinking' damage (with no damage) bug.
When that is sorted -along with the patrols,etc SH4 will be very playable.

I also think people should honestly help people with questions like this guys?
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6421019045/m/2821051855
When someone asks; 'i'm thinking of getting SH4, is it good?'. A whole wave of people descend on it saying, 'yes with such-and-such a mod i think it's brilliant'
but that doesn't answer the reason why this guy is stuck (and many others) through possible game bugs does it?
Some people only answer the 'good points' but never the bad points... -not allowed honest bad points in SH4?
Obviously not...there are two sides guys, get over it.

Deepbluewolf
05-10-2007, 03:08 AM
well.. the problem in my view is that there are too many threads about bugg`s. we all know there are buggs! Having said that I miss the atmosphere of the SH III forums in which we really had fun exchanging storys and experiences , its coming to a point that every time i log in im allready thinking and trying to anticipate how many " game for sale/I hate this game/im disapointed/i cant play/etc...etc...there will be...
im having a lot of fun!!! PITTY what is happening here tho.
In my view it is wrong to release a game unfinished.
Then again...I allready have the game, so the issue should be divided. I play and I have fun. I come here and I meet a lot of players that also have fun and enjoy the game.
I did complain to Ubisoft! in writting. registred snail mail, i also did a few more things that i believe are pertinent. BUT NOT HERE.
HERE i come to meet my fellow captains of SH IV!

and to them I say...huh....mmmm....can`t think of anything right now.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Lokki1980
05-10-2007, 04:20 AM
Interesting philosophy. Spiitting my dummy out cos I don't want to read anything bad. Everything is fine don't say different. Sounds like Tony (Big Brother) Blair popped in.

Fact: Game released to early, unfinished.
2 Patches, still loads of bugs.
Mod available (not everyone wants them)

I would imagine everyone who posts here wanted a good working game and were looking foreward to SH4 release. I did, stupidly preordered it, desperate for an uptodate subsim. Now got to live with it. Modders (God Bless you Sirs) are good guys who must put in a hell of a lot of work and i look foreward to a few mods when I finish my current campaign, if the CTDs allow me. But not everyone is happy installing mods or changing cfg files etc, nor should they have to, they paid for a working game.

If people don't like negative comments, Don't Read Them. Trolling through here and Subsim shows that a hell of a lot of people are having serious problems. After visiting other forums and reading about such problems for other games it saved me the grief of buying other sub(no pun)standard games and as such serves a purpose. It also allows visitors to form an opinion on the pap that Ubi seems to be publishing these days whilst also saving their hard earned money.

I find it can help sooth the anger when after spending 2 hours on an attack racking upsome serious tonnage only to CTD and get corrupt saved games to come here and read of similar experiences, at least I know its the game and not my rig. (and have a little rant) Reading here about sudden diviing to death helped me in that on a couple of occasions I managed to save my sub before crush depth.

I have played SH4 on four different rigs now, patched to 1.2, and have had problems each time. Do I want problems? no, does antone else? probably not. We all wish we were the lucky ones who could just kick the missus out, sit down, dim the lights and spend many an hour in sub world. Hopefully that will happen.

At the end of the day negative posts are as real and relevant to positive ones. (Hey print a few hundred off and send them to Ubi) We might even contribute to quality control, I'd be mortified if i was a dev and visited here or Subsim. (not blaming devs)

Simple, when the game works, these posts will slide away.

Don't like the bad Karma from problem posts or threads? Hit PgDwn.

Lokki1980
05-10-2007, 04:26 AM
Oh and just remembered.

After reading a couple of rants here some kind fellow replied to them with info that was nowhere to be seen in the manual. See, rants can help somtimes

How the hell a noob is suppoed to play from that so called manual is beyond me.

"Its a Subsim Jim, but not as we know it"

yngvef
05-10-2007, 05:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lokki1980:
How the hell a noob is suppoed to play from that so called manual is beyond me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Very true http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

However, if people ask in a nice way there is always help to be found on this forum. Someone always knows something http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Some posters forget the main questions they must ask themselves before making a new topic: "Will this contribute to the forum?" if it's a statement and "Will I actually get help?" if it's a question.

Generally, posters starting their first forum posts with...

"WTF dis s*** is b*** f*** and the SH*** and the is the discrage and the question of gamply and *** fi** and the sh** STFU NOOOOOB!"

...NEVER get any help... At least not from me. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Realjambo
05-10-2007, 08:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">However, if people ask in a nice way there is always help to be found on this forum. Someone always knows something Wink2

Some posters forget the main questions they must ask themselves before making a new topic: "Will this contribute to the forum?" if it's a statement and "Will I actually get help?" if it's a question.

Generally, posters starting their first forum posts with...

"WTF dis s*** is b*** f*** and the SH*** and the is the discrage and the question of gamply and *** fi** and the sh** STFU NOOOOOB!"

...NEVER get any help... At least not from me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From a my Moderators point of view, I couldn't agree more with you yngvef. Good post http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Hoatee
05-12-2007, 05:10 AM
These forums don't need 'rules against denigrating the game' or a restrictive paid subscription like I see on some other game forums.

jmmoric
05-12-2007, 08:13 PM
Why do they get money for a game that isn't done?

Why do ordinary people have to mod the game to make it good?

Isn't the company supposed to ship a finished game without problems and bugs?

If you buy a car you definately assume it's working probably when you get it. Why does that not refer to PC games??

rgds

Flamewagon
05-13-2007, 06:54 AM
I for one am having a fun time on the boat, I am not a modder and if I were honest am a little scared of placing mods with or without the special tool in case a patch comes out. That said I have used plenty of tunes for the radio and am grateful for the community in pointing me in the direction of some great sites, plus being a big jazz and big band fan ( used to play trombone in a big band, now though more just jazz) I have a large collection of Jazz and Big band numbers to place in the game myself thus giving it more atmosphere, so until the next patch comes out I am content to carry on and enjoy this sim.

vietvettwo
05-13-2007, 09:49 AM
I'm like you, don't think I would be comfortable putting in mods. I would much rather wait for "official" patches to the game. I'm enjoying it as well. But if we get the word from Ubi that they are not going to patch anything else, I might mod a few things if I could pick and choose, the all or nothing option scares me.