PDA

View Full Version : Hydrophone Works on Surface

gunnulf229
03-29-2005, 12:56 PM
Has anybody else noticed this? Just for the sake of checking, I went to the hydrophone while surfaced. I was pretty amazed to discover that I could hear a contact via the hydrophone while sitting on the surface. Is this supposed to be this way? Everything I've read about hydrophones has seemed to indicate to me that the instrument was useful when submerged...and only when submerged.

Rafe1
03-29-2005, 02:18 PM
It works when surfaced but not as good then when you're submerged.
When submerged you don't have any surface sounds like waves and stuff interfering.
Since water is an excelent sound conductor you can better dive to a reasonable dept en shut down your engines.

moggel
03-29-2005, 02:18 PM
Agree. I'm no "sub expert" but I do love THE MOVIE (Das Boot) and there's a quick scene where you can see the sonar "thing" (antenna?) move on the top of the sub (while submerged). Unless I'm wrong that should mean the antenna must be above water when the ship is surfaced.

Could any true "sub guy" confirm this?

ChunkyChops-IIc
03-29-2005, 02:40 PM
From what I have seen in the game, the first type of sonar you get in a Type IIA sub is the one described as 'an arc of 140 egrees' and on the sub silhouette it looks like an arc of small circles which highlights when you select equipment from the sub upgrade screen. This type is in the water even on the surface (you can see it in the external view underwater).

The upgraded type is the one described as being vulnerable to depth charges and sits on top of the deck (looks like a small T on the upgrade screen) and as far as I have noticed, this does only work when I am submerged.