PDA

View Full Version : graw2 - strangness in network

mrwoojoo
09-23-2007, 02:30 AM
Greetings.

Heh, I see a lot of peeps have issues with graw/graw2. I picked up graw in a combo deal with a new mobo, works great. I bought graw2 when it was released, works great... mostly.

For that matter I have many ubi titles, all of them work great. Except gameplay in some is rather ******ed, and network play can be even more ******ed. But, at least it works normally.

As to my issue, I can play online np. A couple buds and myself like to do coop mode (which is why we buy ubi). We normally use hamachi since it requires no router work. Anyway, we have been going through graw2. There have been issues like having to use differing versions of hamachi for differing ubi games, but we got to mission 9, "farralon", and were going through it. At the end, we did not down the coptors so it ended. We were going to try it agian in a few nights. Next time we got on, I create the server, one logs in. As soon as into the coop lobby, big time lag.

Normal pings for us is like 16ms. We use teamspeak also @ about 16ms. Once one of them joins, ping like at 1000-4000ms. TS choppy, and can load game. Once in game, no noticable lag in movement, but when shoot bot, like a 10sec delay until hit 'registers'. Interesting that the client sees the delay, server sees 'instant'.

So, we try dmz, port forwarding, so on and so forth. Really banging away on our systems to see what could be causing this.

I am no slouch in terms of being a 'geek', and beleive me, it was killing me that I could not figure out where the lag came from. Tried it, like I said, dmz even, but also with openvpn and gamers internet tunnel as well as hamachi. No firewall, closed all services possible. Typical troubleshooting stuff. Still it persited.

Like a dingbat, we kept trying to load that mission 9. Only when we switched to a lower mission did it work again. Now, going back to mission 9 or 10, same issue. Any ohter mission or map or gametype, no problem.

If that isn't strange I don't know what is.

anyone else have that issue or a 'lag' issue like that? any ideas as to why a level which was working would suddenly not work?

There are no mods or stuff. Just the standard install of graw2. Oh well, I am planning on a reinstall for an upcoming lan party anyway, so will see if a fresh install of graw2 will let us play those missions.

mrwoo

mrwoojoo
09-23-2007, 02:30 AM
Greetings.

Heh, I see a lot of peeps have issues with graw/graw2. I picked up graw in a combo deal with a new mobo, works great. I bought graw2 when it was released, works great... mostly.

For that matter I have many ubi titles, all of them work great. Except gameplay in some is rather ******ed, and network play can be even more ******ed. But, at least it works normally.

As to my issue, I can play online np. A couple buds and myself like to do coop mode (which is why we buy ubi). We normally use hamachi since it requires no router work. Anyway, we have been going through graw2. There have been issues like having to use differing versions of hamachi for differing ubi games, but we got to mission 9, "farralon", and were going through it. At the end, we did not down the coptors so it ended. We were going to try it agian in a few nights. Next time we got on, I create the server, one logs in. As soon as into the coop lobby, big time lag.

Normal pings for us is like 16ms. We use teamspeak also @ about 16ms. Once one of them joins, ping like at 1000-4000ms. TS choppy, and can load game. Once in game, no noticable lag in movement, but when shoot bot, like a 10sec delay until hit 'registers'. Interesting that the client sees the delay, server sees 'instant'.

So, we try dmz, port forwarding, so on and so forth. Really banging away on our systems to see what could be causing this.

I am no slouch in terms of being a 'geek', and beleive me, it was killing me that I could not figure out where the lag came from. Tried it, like I said, dmz even, but also with openvpn and gamers internet tunnel as well as hamachi. No firewall, closed all services possible. Typical troubleshooting stuff. Still it persited.

Like a dingbat, we kept trying to load that mission 9. Only when we switched to a lower mission did it work again. Now, going back to mission 9 or 10, same issue. Any ohter mission or map or gametype, no problem.

If that isn't strange I don't know what is.

anyone else have that issue or a 'lag' issue like that? any ideas as to why a level which was working would suddenly not work?

There are no mods or stuff. Just the standard install of graw2. Oh well, I am planning on a reinstall for an upcoming lan party anyway, so will see if a fresh install of graw2 will let us play those missions.

mrwoo

baff6
09-23-2007, 09:42 AM
I get lags like that on almost every level. Usually a load of disconnects and crash to desktops intermittantly too.

Surprised you didn't experience them earlier on.

Co-op is a nightmare.
I've run via the online browser, Hamachi and over LAN.
It's massively unstable on all. You will need a lot of patience to finish a level in co-op. It's not often you can keep 4 people in a game that long.

mrwoojoo
09-23-2007, 11:55 PM
Hmm. I have not seen that in any of the ubi coops. We have played through vegas numerous times. We played 3 of us through to level 9 in graw2. can't understand why there would be no problems till that point.

Oh well, will keep digging on it.

thanks for the reply.
mrwoo

baff6
09-24-2007, 03:38 AM
Vegas is very stable.
It uses a much more reliable game engine, Unreal.

GRAW 1, using the same game engine as this, has the exact same problems.

Ubi is a big international company with offices and R&D studio's all round the world, the same people who made Vegas, didn't make this game.

mrwoojoo
09-24-2007, 02:02 PM
It is just wierd. My buds and I are all on the same isp, 2 of us @ 512x3m, one @ 512x1.5m, always pinging, in hamachi or whatever, @ 16ms.

I start up tdm server, and one gets in @ 30ms (which is wierd, in Vegas we are always @ +- 16ms), and can play fine. The other is @ 400ms. He logs out, joins again, now @ 30ms as well. Play fine.

I start coop, mission 1, and first guy joins. I watch ping in hamachi, he is @ 16ms. AS SOON as the screen says "waiting for server", the lag hits. Hamachi goes to 2000-4000ms. Matter of fact, my whole connection, to everywhere, goes to that. Timing out or very high pings. Teamspeak, web, whatever. If he drops out, his pings (from his computer to outside world) is back to normal, yet he still pings me really high. The lag will not stop until I leave the mission and get back to the game menu.. then all is normal.

Does this with dedicated as well.

How confusing that one night it seems to work ok, then next, sheite.

2 of us are reinstalling this week, and trying it out with each patch to see what is going on.

Will post back with hopefully a workaround. Although a patch rollback would cut off joining any servers in the wild, I could care less. Coop is why I bought the game to begin with.

The only other thing I was thinking was about how this game does "packet shaping". It is mentioned if you open the exe in a hex editor. I was looking for parameters to start the game, like +fullscreen 0 type thing, and I came across some mention of this. I haven't explored it yet, but I believe there was a toggle parameter for it.

later.
mrwoojoo

Wiz13688
09-24-2007, 02:52 PM
Can I ask a question? When you play in coop. Do your teammates get the enemy indicator arrows and diamonds thats out of sight? I as the team leader will get the drone info and see all the enemy sighted by the drone while my teammates don't see anything in our LAN game.

mrwoojoo
09-24-2007, 09:16 PM
I don't really know. When I am not team leader I see the diamond, but I don't remember if I see the enemy when using drone or not. I think so. I am tonight trying out patch 102 (reinstalled) to see if that cures anything. Read some stuff where 103 killed coop.

I copied my graw2 directory to another lan machine I have. I started it up, watched it with a ping -t, and then joined. Guess what, no lag whatsoever. pinged @ 1ms the whole time.

Sooo... that leads me to believe it has to do with the udp/icmp issues that have been posted around. Short of opening up my router for wan pings (which i will not do), my only other thought now is to mess with some routing. I have found no command line paramter to start graw2 with that will not "shape" the packets. There are some 'network' parameters that I think I found how to toggle, but unfortuantely I cannot bring the correct console up or whatever it is to try them. Go figure.

I will post back and let you know about the diamond issue as well as how v102 works, and if I do any routing or other geekish type stuff to make it work.

later
mrwoojoo

Wiz13688
09-25-2007, 12:12 AM
Thanks. Meanwhile I'm going t omake sure all the driver is up to date on the other PCs just in case.

mrwoojoo
09-26-2007, 02:05 AM
Hmmppff. Graw2 definately works in LAN just fine. Everything works, custom maps, coop, everything.

I did a reinstall, tried v1. Coop map 7 worked over hamachi. Went to v2, same thing. lol, then tried map 9, and exact same issue. Tried out some custom maps, some worked, some did not.

I would expect that this is a problem that could be fixed. If one map works, then there must be some common denominator to the ones that don't, including custom made ones.

It is my belief that it is the udp/icmp packets which are not "routable" that impose the problems. With my 192.x.x.x lan here at my house, those packets are free to hit all ip's, so stands to reason that it works in that respect.

As to the diamond issue, when I am leader, I see the drone's diamonds, but my squad does not. However, once I die, I still see them. If I die again, I no longer see them. If that helps any. Same thing with my bud, die once they stay, die again, they are gone.

Hope there is a fix for this sometime relatively soon.

later.
mrwoojoo