PDA

View Full Version : Quick survey for a tactic

Jack-Reacher
07-10-2011, 08:21 PM
As some of you may know, I like thinking up unorthodox tactics, anything interesting that you dont see used much. Sometimes they blossom into actual competitive tactics, but more often than not they stay in my videos and I never use them again.

Anyway before telling you guys what the tactic is, as it usually makes people change their answer, I would like to know what you would do if someone aims a hidden gun at you and you hear the beep sound go off.

Lets just assume he is very close by, lets say a little bit outside the mute range. We are going to use this exact scenario to help you make your decision. The morph spot you are using is Siena, its the spot you are using in particular is that nice spot in Siena by the fountain, where you can see the entire area. Your pursuer is standing a little bit outside the mute range, right in the open. Its wanted and he is your only pursuer.

Do you just stand there and take the death, or do you at least try and get a stun off him before he fires?

Now before you answer the question consider this. The reason why I added the option to stun him without abilities is because more often than not you dont need to use abilities on someone with a gun, its like using mute on a pursuer who killed a civilian, you may as well stun them normally to save your abilities for later.

DEMON-12_21_2O12
07-10-2011, 08:24 PM
i usually stay put, because when u run, most likely you will hit an NPC which ruins your chance of survival.

if the pursuer locks on but then doesnt fire, ill wait until im close enough and go for the naked stun

Ripe Claw
07-10-2011, 08:26 PM
If he is standing just outside the group I will try for the unassisted stun. If he is too far for that I run at them and use mute for the stun. If he is out of Mute range, I will try to get behind something. If he is standing on a roof, I just stand still hoping he doesn't actually know who I am and is trying to fish me out. A lot of times they will aim at me from on a roof and when I don't move they will switch to a different target because they expect a player to try bolting out of there. I have seen quite a few npcs shot after I didn't budge when aimed at and they just happened to switch to an npc that decided to leave the group.

LadyGahan2010
07-10-2011, 08:27 PM
There's no "it depends" option. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif That's my vote. It depends whether I know if they can miss or not, whether there is an obstacle nearby etc etc.

Jack-Reacher
07-10-2011, 08:46 PM
Alright I have edited the first post to make it clear what kind of scenario I am thinking of.

Note the votes have been reset.

Please use the poll when making your vote, and also leave a comment to justify your vote. If you dont want to leave a comment, at least just vote honestly.

Ripe Claw
07-10-2011, 08:55 PM
With the new parameters with them just outside mute range, I would definitely run the 2 steps or so and fire the mute. You won't have time to make the stun without it. Many times you won't even be able to get him in mute range in time and they will still get the shot off at that distance. Even if it was a Manhunt match and he had my team mate targeted I still use mute on them in this situation and only manage to save the team mate some of the times.

gothpunkboy89
07-10-2011, 09:06 PM
Usually i stand still. hoping they miss. if i try to run he can always re aim and fire.

if i'm near a wall. i will run the corner to avoid the gun. then wait for a corner stun.

Jack-Reacher
07-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the detailed response. I will release the tactic I have in mind depending on how active this topic is. Im hoping to get at least 20 votes by tomorrow.

What is interesting is after I post the tactic in the opening post the votes will reset, it will be interesting to see if the poll proportions change simply because people choose the option that counters the tactic, even though they wouldnt normally do it...

Quelthos
07-10-2011, 09:15 PM
I voted to stand still and hope they miss, because I'm assuming I've blended well.

Honestly, I've never understood why people use guns at close range. I don't use the hidden gun, but if I did, I'd only pretend to aim it at close range so I could stab someone if they ran up to stun me. Not that I'd expect that to work, lag being what it is, and the fact that aiming would reveal me to my pursuers.

Lyleator
07-10-2011, 09:26 PM
Did you know that throwing knives makes someone stop aiming their gun? Useful when there's someone you just know is about to shoot you

(Larini loves it when I use this tactic on him)

Epona64
07-10-2011, 09:33 PM
I usually stay still if they're shooting me in a morphed/Blender'd group. Mostly because a lot of times, they don't know who you are, but are using the fact that most players' reactions to that dreaded gun-lock noise is to bolt or throw a smoke or reveal themselves in various ways.

I've had multiple times where I've watched people lock every single identical persona in a group, aim their gun, and just aim for a few seconds. I stay still when it's my turn, and as soon as I see them aiming at another persona, run at them and get the naked stun.

But that's mostly when I know where they are, and I'm moderately sure they didn't see me go into the group and they don't know who I am. Just walking along, if I get locked, I try to get behind cover...even though we all know how effective that really is...

Lol, hope that wasn't too long-winded.

Ripe Claw
07-10-2011, 09:34 PM
I have used knives to stop gun shots before, but I don't normally carry knives.

snipertempah10
07-10-2011, 09:49 PM
Standing still would be my choice in that scenario. If on a roof and I hear the lock, I also stand still and do not give my pursuer a free Mid-Air bonus.

I once had a guy on the roof of the building in the square in Florence, he gun-locked me but I managed to hide behind a chimney on one of the buildings opposite. Instead of then running, I thought I would be a smart-arse and waited for him - he crawled over the wire and climbed the roof next to my chimney and aimed...so I moved round the other side instead. After 20 seconds of holding his aim, he leapt across on to the chimney and aerial killed me, my smoke being eaten up by lag ;-)

PlasticAssasin8
07-10-2011, 10:37 PM
Lock on, charge and pow right in the kisser, if he don't shoot me first that is. I aint standing there for nobody.

Rainie
07-10-2011, 11:21 PM
I'd run a mute him and go for the stun, if I get shot before that then oh well its 100 points (and possibly reset cooldowns when I respawn). But if my mute works then its 200 points for me so I might as well go for it lol

thergbcolor
07-10-2011, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Epona64:
I usually stay still if they're shooting me in a morphed/Blender'd group. Mostly because a lot of times, they don't know who you are, but are using the fact that most players' reactions to that dreaded gun-lock noise is to bolt or throw a smoke or reveal themselves in various ways.

I've had multiple times where I've watched people lock every single identical persona in a group, aim their gun, and just aim for a few seconds. I stay still when it's my turn, and as soon as I see them aiming at another persona, run at them and get the naked stun.

But that's mostly when I know where they are, and I'm moderately sure they didn't see me go into the group and they don't know who I am. Just walking along, if I get locked, I try to get behind cover...even though we all know how effective that really is...

Lol, hope that wasn't too long-winded.

This. Most of the time, unless they had me locked before I arrived in that group, they're trying to flush me out. Depending on how far away they are, they might be trying to draw out a Mute so they can evade / kill. They might also be waiting for someone to try a naked stun so they can drop the gun and get an assisted incognito. I've even seen people drop LL smoke after aiming at someone / waiting for that person to try and stun so they could get focus. If they want to shoot me, I let them in that situation. I'll take the 100 point death and the 90 second cooldown over possibly falling into a trap.

najzere
07-11-2011, 12:26 AM
I'd stand still... that's what an NPC would do.

weeklydose
07-11-2011, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by snipertempah10:
Standing still would be my choice in that scenario. If on a roof and I hear the lock, I also stand still and do not give my pursuer a free Mid-Air bonus.
My thoughts exactly. If a player really doesn't want all the normal Silent or Focus bonuses and really wants to shoot me for 100 points... I just let him.

I used to try and run up to him for a stun, but that never actually worked. As soon as they see me run up to them, they shoot.

obliviondoll
07-11-2011, 01:46 AM
In the specific scenario given, there's one point you didn't cover.

Did they pick the right target? If you listen for the gun aiming sound, this tells you - no sound, don't move, you're getting a Lure. If you hear them aiming, then you react. You COULD drop an ability if you want to, which basically increases your chance of landing the stun, but in that situation, I wouldn't be inclined to waste a cooldown.

Beyond that, I'd go for the naked stun at this range - there are 2 possible outcomes:

1. They quickscope and have a risk of missing and giving you the stun.

2. They try for perfect aim and you get to punch them before they fire.

blazefp
07-11-2011, 04:22 AM
I just stay and hope he gives up the kill. Some players do this to see wich guy is the real one. Plus any noob that kills with the hidden gun will only get 100 points. I get twice for only stun (if he's noob enough to use the hidden gun on me than it won't take much to stun him too). I usually finish first with half the kills the others do and it makes me feel pretty superior to the other guys xD

AntiChrist7
07-11-2011, 04:26 AM
when i hear the gun, i usually try to get behind a corner or so.

but half the times the gun goes through the buildings

CrazyShrapnel
07-11-2011, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by obliviondoll:
Beyond that, I'd go for the naked stun at this range - there are 2 possible outcomes:

1. They quickscope and have a risk of missing and giving you the stun.

2. They try for perfect aim and you get to punch them before they fire.

This. Only thing for me to do is try and stun. Out in the open, without atleast 3 corners to run around, I do not survive gun locks. Actually even when there's several walls between me and the shooter they'll still get me.

I wouldn't bother with using a skill since my survival rate in gun situations is so low. If I charge he'll quickscope (and hit), if I mute he'll lag through it and shoot me anyway. Only thing I could do is to rush him and hope for a naked stun.

BigBalledEagle
07-11-2011, 08:46 AM
I would probably use a Mute.

Serrachio
07-11-2011, 08:52 AM
I'd run into Mute range and use it, because Mute stops a person from using a gun while they're aiming it, before stunning them.

If you charge them, they can still kill you with the gun, but it would look really funny to get shot at point-blank range while doing it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

protesticle
07-11-2011, 10:02 AM
If you are trying this in competitive I would press X to wave at you and LOL. I know you are trying to work out which one I am and would be willing to play chicken with you. Go ahead shoot me just make sure your next move is good because otherwise you just made wasted opportunity.

EDIT: I know your intentions lure them out etc make them move a little. However this strategy I would only recommend if you are a weak link on a team of high skill players against a team of higher then your own skill.

rak9up
07-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Lets see....

STEP 1
The minute I was shot I'd look see if they were a blue dots and start whining that there are better games for gun play like SOCOM or Black OPS and explain that 100 point kills are stupid.
Step 2
Now if he was a grand master using a gun among blue dots I'd ask him where he got his grand master symbol and reiterate step 1 to him
Step 3
If it was 2 grand master teams playing each other and one team had a gun so you could shoot one player prior to a coordinated attack making the odds 3 against 4. thus making it harder for a group of 3 to stuncamp on the group of 4.
I would then comment to him on his excellent strategy for that "poor" 100 point kill knowing the benifit of stopping a four man stuncamp far out weighs a single 100 point kill.
Step 4
If after "whining" to any of the above groups and I found out they were trying to complete a challenge. I would apoligize and direct them to a player match and ask them to stay out of the ranked matches till their challenges were complete.
Step 5
When they return to ranked after completing their challenges I'd then shoot them...because I love to hear people whine and I don't want to be the only whinner on ACB.

obliviondoll
07-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by rak9up:
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f324/Rak9up/signature.jpg
Never noticed that Ezio was a pool player before you posted that...

Also, I like your anti-gun strategy... Might have to use the Gun against you more often (if I run into you).

I do my stress-relief SuperPRO runs in Ranked... I don't know why.

Jack-Reacher
07-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Alright the idea was to simply use Hidden Gun and Smoke Bomb. I aim at one of the NPCs and wait for a bit. The second one of the defenders run at me to stun me I drop smoke bomb, so even if you use mute I usually get it off quickly. If you used charge or naked stun you would be caught in the smoke and I would get an easy Incognito kill.

However please note I acknowledge this is an unorthodox tactic, its not meant to be used competitively for reasons that or obvious, like 2 ability slots and stuff like that.

It seems only 9 people would stun me and 12 would just stand there, which is a problem. Chances are they wont even try stun me if they dont hear the sound. My next step in the strategy in the case they just stand there is to fire randomly using any gun except deadly gun. This way there is a 10% chance I miss, and all NPCs flinch except my target.

I now know who my target is. As soon as I fire im still alert, ready to drop my smoke bomb incase they charge at me. Now that I know who my target is, I drop a smoke bomb fairly close to them, flank them and get on the fountain and aerial kill them. They shouldnt be able to run away due to the smoke bomb close to the exit.

It seems out of my most of the posters, only a few people picked up that I was trying to lure the pursuer out, however those who voted stay in one place may have known but didnt bother to comment.

Im also willing to bet that the population of randoms are less experienced than the posters on this forum, I would be interseted in seeing how often this strategy works against random players for the first time.

obliviondoll
07-13-2011, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Jack-Reacher:
Alright the idea was to simply use Hidden Gun and Smoke Bomb. I aim at one of the NPCs and wait for a bit. The second one of the defenders run at me to stun me I drop smoke bomb, so even if you use mute I usually get it off quickly. If you used charge or naked stun you would be caught in the smoke and I would get an easy Incognito kill.

However please note I acknowledge this is an unorthodox tactic, its not meant to be used competitively for reasons that or obvious, like 2 ability slots and stuff like that.

It seems only 9 people would stun me and 12 would just stand there, which is a problem. Chances are they wont even try stun me if they dont hear the sound. My next step in the strategy in the case they just stand there is to fire randomly using any gun except deadly gun. This way there is a 10% chance I miss, and all NPCs flinch except my target.

I now know who my target is. As soon as I fire im still alert, ready to drop my smoke bomb incase they charge at me. Now that I know who my target is, I drop a smoke bomb fairly close to them, flank them and get on the fountain and aerial kill them. They shouldnt be able to run away due to the smoke bomb close to the exit.

It seems out of my most of the posters, only a few people picked up that I was trying to lure the pursuer out, however those who voted stay in one place may have known but didnt bother to comment.

Im also willing to bet that the population of randoms are less experienced than the posters on this forum, I would be interseted in seeing how often this strategy works against random players for the first time.
The bit in bold is where you made your mistake...

The majority of that blend group can't be aerialed - unless they HAPPEN to be in the right place, just go for Focus if you're going to Smoke them.