PDA

View Full Version : How do I compress a finished film for sending by email

signalnorth
01-18-2006, 06:45 AM
I want to send my finished film to a friend. How do I compress it so it's a not a huge file?

signalnorth
01-18-2006, 06:45 AM
I want to send my finished film to a friend. How do I compress it so it's a not a huge file?

Joe-90
01-18-2006, 07:16 AM
Depends what format and size it is just now.

Codecs (like divx) will reduce the file size at the expense of quality.

Archivers (winzip or winrar) will compress the file at no loss of quality, but you won't get it as small as a codec will get it.

Give us more info on the film, what software you used to make it, and its size in Mb, resolution and Seconds.

signalnorth
01-18-2006, 08:55 AM
Hi Joe. It was made using Windows Movie Maker Fraps and Virtual dub. It's 620mb and runs for about 7mins 20secs. Hope this makes it a bit clearer

STENKA_69.GIAP
01-18-2006, 04:29 PM
Hi Signal,

now 620 mb is virtualy impossible to send by E-mail,

Even 100 meg is impossible to send by E-mail.

First u must try to get the film down to 100 Mb or less - I've stopped using vdub but download xvid codec and apply it in vdub to reduce the size.

reduce the sound to mono 8 bit if neccesary.

cut the film into 2 minute bits- do you realy need 7 minutes?

after that zip it that gains a bit

then you have to upload it to a server...

Then just send the link to yr friend..

There is stuff that explains it better than me I hope in the stickies on the top of the forum.

sorry - tired after a long mission... maby that malingerin moderator will wake up an answer precisely....

Joe-90
01-19-2006, 05:50 AM
WMM has some good inbuilt codecs.

When you 'save movie file', and get to the 'movie setting' options, click 'show more choices'.

Then just pick one of the settings for wmv files that will give you the right resolution and framerate, and try different ones.

It should cut that file size right down! But always at the expense of quality.

If you want to use xvid, as Stenka says, you would have to apply the codec in vdub. But you can't put a wmv file into vdub!

Oh, there are various file sharing sites out there. yousendit is one that lets you do what Stenka is on about, and there are others. Or you may even have some web space yourself from your ISP?

signalnorth
01-20-2006, 01:38 AM
Thanks , good advice. I'll give it a whirl at the weekend. Ta!