PDA

View Full Version : ATI Mobility X300

pjohansson
07-31-2005, 05:56 PM
I've searched and found one posting that reports success running Uru with an ATI X300 SE (exact flavor of Uru not specified).

Is there any additional field experience with the X300?

I'm contemplating the purchase of a ThinkPad T43 with a 2.0 GHz Pentium M and an X300 wuth 64 MB video memory---and would like to play Uru: The Complete Chronicles on the laptop since the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 in my desktop doesn't cut it!

PS I've already considered---and ruled out---an Acer TravelMate 8100. The TravelMate's X700 is more than adequate, but the laptop weighs too much!

pjohansson
07-31-2005, 05:56 PM
I've searched and found one posting that reports success running Uru with an ATI X300 SE (exact flavor of Uru not specified).

Is there any additional field experience with the X300?

I'm contemplating the purchase of a ThinkPad T43 with a 2.0 GHz Pentium M and an X300 wuth 64 MB video memory---and would like to play Uru: The Complete Chronicles on the laptop since the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 in my desktop doesn't cut it!

PS I've already considered---and ruled out---an Acer TravelMate 8100. The TravelMate's X700 is more than adequate, but the laptop weighs too much!

Jnathus
08-14-2005, 10:41 AM
I checked out the "ThinkPad T43" and it appears that the video has dedicated memory (not shared like your desktop's Intel Graphics setup). Usually (not always) if you see the name ATI or Nvidia in a graphics solution, you're getting something that is capable of gaming. Even the low end Radeon 9000 or 9200 can run URU at reasonably respectable quality levels.

Having said that, there is one particular problem you run into with laptop video cards. Driver support.

On a desktop, you can download what they call "reference drivers" from ATI or Nvidia (depending on the chip in your video adapter), so you can update to the driver with the best compatibility / performance whenever you like. However with laptops, you are pretty much restricted to getting your driver from the manufacturer of your laptop. This means that gaming performance specific to your driver version is difficult to ensure and/or correct.

If you're really tech savvy, there are ways around this (there's an ATI mobility modder that allows you to install updated graphics drivers for laptops, however you have to know your graphics card model, you need to know how to correctly uninstall / reinstall graphics drivers, and you have to accept that there may be some compatibility issues down the road).

In short, that laptop you mentioned should be enough to run URU, however if there are any graphics driver issues, you are stuck because URU never has supported laptop video cards (which doesn't mean they won't work, you're just on your own to solve any issues that arise).

Heimdall_G
08-14-2005, 12:13 PM
"However with laptops, you are pretty much restricted to getting your driver from the manufacturer of your laptop."

Not necessarily. See Uru: Installing Video Drivers With Win XP (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/524109302/m/539102665).

For Radeon chipsets:

<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">Desktop PC's with video chipsets integrated on the motherboard, or laptop/notebook PC's</span>
-- a. If you have a laptop/notebook PC or a desktop PC with a Radeon chipset integrated on the motherboard - EXCEPT FOR the for Mobility Radeon X700 or X800 chipset - download the Catalyst 5.8 version intended for desktop integrated chipsets. Click on Drivers and Software &gt; Windows XP Drivers and Software &gt; Motherboards with ATI Graphics &gt; CATALYST 5.8 Windows XP - Motherboard/IGP Drivers.
----- 1. This version supports the Radeon 9000/9100 IGP and IGP Pro chipsets, as well as most other Radeon chipsets.
----- 2. Check the Release Notes to confirm that you have a chipset supported by this driver!
-- b. If you have a Mobility Radeon X700 or X800/800 XT chipset in a laptop/notebook from one of the listed manufacturers, download the Catalyst 5.8 version intended for laptops/notebooks. Click on Drivers and Software &gt; Windows XP Drivers and Software &gt; Notebooks with ATI Graphics &gt; Catalyst Mobility 5.8 for Windows XP.

I've had good success with the "reference drivers" from NVIDIA for their chipsets in laptops/notebooks, using the proper installation procedure. NVIDIA drivers are picky!

The key to successfully using a driver from ATI or NVIDIA on a laptop/notebook is usually the correct driver, installed properly. The only cost for trying a driver is time, and you can always go back to the manufacturer's driver.

Heimdall

Jnathus
08-14-2005, 01:32 PM
I knew that ATI was slowly adding Notebook graphics cards to their drivers, but I didn't know how far they've reached by this point. I read somewhere that the 9200 is now recognized by the Catalyst driver, but having a separate notebook driver is kind of nice too. Although the X700 and X800 are mid to high range notebook adapters.

At this point, I don't see that the X300 is not among those supported by ATI. There is an alternative (although it is not perfect). At Driverheaven.net there is a Mobility Modder Here (http://www.driverheaven.net/patje/)

Using that, you can install just about any ATI Catalyst driver version you want with just about any laptop video card ATI offers. I have used it on my Inspiron 8200 and 9100 machines that have Radeon 9000 and Radeon 9800 Mobility cards respectively and both work seamlessly.

I think we're getting closer to the day that reference drivers will be available for all adapters by ATI and Nvidia regardless of application (desktop or notebook), but until that day comes, this is a good way to get buy.

Jnathus
09-17-2005, 07:55 PM
I have an update about ATI Mobility Drivers.

ATI seems to have out unofficial drivers that officially support a large array of Radeon Mobility cards. The driver comes with the Catalyst Control Center (I prefer the standard control panel, but I also prefer drivers that are compatible and work with everything above all else).

It appears the link updates with the newest Catalyst drivers, so at this point, the link will provide you a MobileCatalyst Driver Version 5.8.

Click this Link (http://www.ati.com/online/mobilecatalyst/)

Cards currently supported include:
"ATI MOBILITY FIRE GL T2/T2e"
"ATI MOBILITY FireGL V3100"
"ATI MOBILITY FireGL V3200"
"ATI MOBILITY FireGL V5000"
"ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9500"
"ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9550"
"ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9600/9700 Series"
"ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9800"
"ATI MOBILITY RADEON X300"
"ATI MOBILITY RADEON X300 "
"ATI MOBILITY RADEON X600"