PDA

View Full Version : My opinion about silent hunter 5 as software

DelphiUniverse
04-05-2011, 07:32 PM
I have great understanding of software as I am a developer myself. I have very little mod experience with sh5, but so far, so far seen of the organization, layout and technical construction of silent hunter 5, it is one hell of a mess. The entire game is built on top of a previous game, it is a total mess, very unclean work. The graphics is good and all that, but the entire thing is extremely dirty, it is almost a miracle the game even works at all.

Im shocked to see how dirty the entire project is, it is like harry downtown put this together using visual basic.

I Would be appreciative if ubisoft can put competent developers on the next sh project.

Just a thought from a wise guy.

DelphiUniverse
04-05-2011, 07:32 PM
I have great understanding of software as I am a developer myself. I have very little mod experience with sh5, but so far, so far seen of the organization, layout and technical construction of silent hunter 5, it is one hell of a mess. The entire game is built on top of a previous game, it is a total mess, very unclean work. The graphics is good and all that, but the entire thing is extremely dirty, it is almost a miracle the game even works at all.

Im shocked to see how dirty the entire project is, it is like harry downtown put this together using visual basic.

I Would be appreciative if ubisoft can put competent developers on the next sh project.

Just a thought from a wise guy.

Foehammer-1
04-05-2011, 09:31 PM
Well, that was sort of a given...

They made a code for SHIII, then recycled most of it for SHIV (to the point of carrying over unadressed bugs (like crew on bridge breathing underwater, to name one)).

It was only natural they would repeat the same thing again.

Nothing against you, Delphi, you checked something I have no understanding of. I was just expressing what I knew http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

willyvic
04-06-2011, 10:10 AM
What you describe is known Delphi. The current game was indeed built on previous releases. Anyone who looks at the files in their folders will see that.

As you are well versed in software development can we expect to see some fixes for the game from you? Will you join the modding arena?

WV

Rick_1105
04-06-2011, 12:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DelphiUniverse:

Just a thought from a wise guy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I highly doubt there will be another SH project. All the signs are there that Ubisoft has given up on it. They are not even interested in fixing SH5. They walked away from the project. Because of the SH5 disaster, many from the sub sim community have left. Many have also given up on Ubisoft. I for one, have given up on Ubisoft. I will never buy another Ubisoft product ever again because of their lack of customer service/support.

@ willyvic -- With all due respect, I am sure experienced modders have tried to fix SH5, but there is only so much a mod can do. If the base code is messed up, Ubisoft themselves would have to fix it.

willyvic
04-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Was trying to get anyone who could lend a hand on board. DW over at Subsim is giving it hell in the MOD department. But you are correct Rick, Ubi would have to pony up and "fix" the base game or release the code to users to bring this title up to snuff.

And we know that ain't happening.

Regards,
WV

DelphiUniverse
04-07-2011, 09:43 AM
Money talks and bull**** walks. If there is no market for a game, there will be little focus there, respectively.

The masses desides the interests of the rest of us. We have to go with the flow.

Personally, I have no hope for another silent hunter game, not in a short time frame. But they will probably get one going in the future.

I have to say something though, this game is good ad for ubisoft, they build up a good reputation in terms of the ingenius game-concept and graphics, in that sense its a good project for the company.

FanOfHaloboi
04-10-2011, 11:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DelphiUniverse:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some years ago, some PC gamers of Rainbow Six Vegas wanted to modify the shaders of the game in order to remove the ugly blurry post-processing effects on the graphics.

One of them posted an original shader picked from the game. What struck me was the absolute mess of the coding. It was obvious that no basic standard coding conventions was used at Ubisoft and that the programmer of this particular shader didn't mind that other people might one day take a look at his code in order to try to understand and modify it.

It was like the programmer though: ''Okay, this game is made for a quick buck anyway, so nobody will touch it ever again, so I'm gonna code it the dirty one-pass way, and I'm gonna move on to the next POS project ASAP...''.

When Ubisoft noticed that some PC modders tried to modify the shaders of the game, they issued a patch to lock it. That shows the priorities of this company.

With that said, one would think that when the founder of a company includes the four character sequence ''soft'' in the name of his company, it's because that guy somehow care about the quality of software? Nope! Some of these guys just care about the amount of cash written on the bottom line...

indycar.
04-20-2011, 06:16 PM
theres lot of old/unrelated files/code in sh5 thats why its just a mess. i wonder if i delete/remove those files will the game work/die

concept is good but realisation of sh5 is just bellow any standard

jclift
04-29-2011, 01:33 AM
Sure it's a bit of a mess, but I just keep playing it !

Walterrhodes
04-30-2011, 10:58 PM
I played Silent Service on a C-64 years ago and was looking forward to playing SH5, been out of PC games for a long time. So, I thought it was just me - I didn't understand the game but it would start to make sense. Then..after reading the posts I realise that what I was thinking in the back of my mind while trying to figure it out was true. The game has serious flaws. Too bad, I was looking forward to a good submariner game like the one Sid Meir wrote some 30 years ago. Glad I only paid 7.95 on line and with shipping it came to 12.05 - I can't believe they sold this thing for 60 bucks when it first came out. BTW, ON LINE ALL THE TIME, that was dumber than dumb, why would you limit the market of players for your product to just those fortunate to have internet? Well, It would have been stupid if the game were a hit... so as is I guess it's a moot point. It's April 2011, how many patches have their been since this thing hit the shelves?

Jose.MaC
05-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Then, Whalterrhodes, do the same than me and several gamers: revert to Silent Hunter IV and get the u-boat expansion.

Is a far better game, more intelligent and funny. Also, you can get some mods that will make the game something as you remember from PC.

I have a poor impression of the last version of the game, too. Though has lots of positive points... A pity.

Walterrhodes
05-10-2011, 06:57 PM
I've been playing everyday since I last wrote - since then I've figured out how to zoom the maps - should have guess it was the roller on the mouse- also figured out how to access the cannon and fire it in-between large waves that cover the heads of the crew and figured out the scaling of the depth gage - the hard way.
It's been a long time since I played any PC games so I'm guessing there will be lot more stuff I will figure out as time goes on. So, glitches and odd ball stuff notwithstanding I like the game and enjoy working out basic trig problems to solve firing solutions - And even when the waypoint arrow system goes on the fritz, I can still get around by using the large chart at 500 to 2500 time compression and clicking on the heading gage. Right now I can't seem to access the server, hope that problem is not a regualar thing, the other day I was kicking butt and the server dumped me, when I got back on it I lost several of my kills. I REALLY DON'T LIKE HAVING TO ACCESS A SERVER TO PLAY THE GAME.
Bad form in my opinion - I should be able to play off line. I wonder if they did this not so much to protect the software from piracy but to be able to fix problems with updates. Anyway, I love the graphics, and the game play is pretty good as well said - said from from my inexperienced point of view. Someday I'll try mulit playing, but first I need more practice !