PDA

View Full Version : Is this it for Heroes 5? One last faction/expansion?

Kulharin
10-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Is there anything more remaining in the future of Heroes 5 in terms of a new expansion or will this be the final one?

I am curious because I would still like to see the traditional fortress and dungeon from heroes 3 return possibly mixed toegther for the one final faction.

Since Dark Elves become the Dungeon and Orcs have now returned bringing the wyverns with them, it'd be nice to see the original dungeon and fortress return as a mixed faction or something. Emphasis on chaos and monsters.

Seems like a good final faction to me.

Using creatures like Beholders, Medusa, the Behmoth, Gorgons, Basiliks, Trogoldytes, Lizard Men, Minotaurs, Nagas, or Chimeras.

I'm sure out of these 10 traditional creatures a final and cool faction could be put together.

Best thing I can think of, it'd be a hell of a lot better then bringing back Conflux.

If they intend to make one last expansion or faction

Kulharin
10-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Is there anything more remaining in the future of Heroes 5 in terms of a new expansion or will this be the final one?

I am curious because I would still like to see the traditional fortress and dungeon from heroes 3 return possibly mixed toegther for the one final faction.

Since Dark Elves become the Dungeon and Orcs have now returned bringing the wyverns with them, it'd be nice to see the original dungeon and fortress return as a mixed faction or something. Emphasis on chaos and monsters.

Seems like a good final faction to me.

Using creatures like Beholders, Medusa, the Behmoth, Gorgons, Basiliks, Trogoldytes, Lizard Men, Minotaurs, Nagas, or Chimeras.

I'm sure out of these 10 traditional creatures a final and cool faction could be put together.

Best thing I can think of, it'd be a hell of a lot better then bringing back Conflux.

If they intend to make one last expansion or faction

ImperialDane
10-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Well so far they have said this is the last expansion that deals with the storyline.. or something along those lines, so another expansion COULD happen, otherwise i think it would be Heroes VI

Moragauth
10-08-2007, 05:37 PM
Why not just let these creatures come back as neutrals, perhaps ones you can hire? Creating YET another faction seems too much. Minotaurs exist, and belong to Dungeon btw, good slaves that they are.

C_h_u_c_k_l_e_s
10-08-2007, 05:56 PM
Nope. No more expansions for H5. They've already begun concepts and brainstroming for H6. So far, the ideas are VERY promising. As I've said in the past, h5 was destined to be very modest in terms of unique ideas. They had to re-establish the brand-name after the travesty of H4 & MM9. Ubi/Nival will be much more free to experiment and express themselves visually in H6. This is the game where we'll really see their creative/innovative side come forth...or not.

goznik
10-09-2007, 01:06 PM
Nice to hear that they started to think about H6.

Inferno015
10-09-2007, 02:10 PM
There are many things that could be improved. These include the story (although it is nice, the only reason its really good is because you don't have to read, just watch little movies), the cr4eature diversity (Fortress has 6 different types of Dwarves and a Dragon...wth?), and of course compatibility. Also they should add new spells. I guess they don't see fit to continue with H5, its just so many things to fix, its easier to start fresh. Not calling them lazy or anything, I just hope they don't screw this up.

C_h_u_c_k_l_e_s
10-09-2007, 03:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by goznik:
Nice to hear that they started to think about H6. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's quite a bit further than that. The "thinking about it" process started quite a while ago.

All I want is for them to finally put a face to the worshipers of the water dragon patriarch. My Nagas. :O)

unreal_az
10-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Ubi/Nival started to think about new ideas?
OMFG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think I won't stand another Nival product related to Homm series.
If I see Nival working on Homm6 I'll start a petition at least the size of the one that was needed to delay homm5 to be "better"...
I don't want to wait till homm 7 or 8 to start playing heroes again.
Since I don't to hijack this thread I'll stop here and if anyone wants to debate the subject I'll start a new thread.

Inferno015
10-09-2007, 06:09 PM
Still, I'm going to admit its going to be hard to top the creature designs. Archangels, Titans, Dragons, Mages, Elves, Griffins, Demons all look AMAZING in H5. Even the Goblins aren't looking too bad. Didn;t think they'd ever make every creature in the game good looking but they did (sadly that was counterer with the release of HOF and Manticores).

Elementalist.
10-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Oh yes, nagas please http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

PhoenixReborn06
10-09-2007, 10:38 PM
The game is finally complete.

Only a couple more patches and it will have it's final version.

It's time to move on.

Unreal_AZ I think it would be a valuable thread if you wanted to start another should Nival do heroes 6? thread.

C_h_u_c_k_l_e_s
10-10-2007, 12:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by unreal_az:
Ubi/Nival started to think about new ideas?
OMFG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think I won't stand another Nival product related to Homm series.
If I see Nival working on Homm6 I'll start a petition at least the size of the one that was needed to delay homm5 to be "better"...
I don't want to wait till homm 7 or 8 to start playing heroes again.
Since I don't to hijack this thread I'll stop here and if anyone wants to debate the subject I'll start a new thread. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ummm...okay then. And what exactly would YOU propose? Do you want Ubisoft to go through another bidding war to see who wins the rights to make H6? Do you want to see a new developer struggle through all the learning process yet again?

And finally, just out of curiosity, what would YOU want out of Heroes 6? What features would you want that weren't in H5, or what features should be removed or re-done? Because you're making it sound as if it was the worst game ever made.

And just so you know...yes, Nival WILL be doing h6. Consider that written in stone. Nobody else has the experience and nobody else can come close to the budget. For the money Ubi is willing to pay for it, Nival's the best available.

Plemenit
10-10-2007, 01:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C_h_u_c_k_l_e_s:
For the money Ubi is willing to pay for it, Nival's the best available. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is very indicative. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, I hope they'll invest a "bit" more in the AI department this time.
Not all of us play against humans, damn! In fact, the majority doesn't.

C_h_u_c_k_l_e_s
10-10-2007, 02:01 PM
I'm sure that considering how successful H5 was, that the budget will be increased substantially. (That comment was more about when H5 was being developed rather than pre-h6). However, you've still got to consider the experience factor. I don't think Ubi would want to go through another new developer's learning curve, do you? The quality of the game has grown dramatically better with each release. Why go backwards?

If someone is deluded enough to think that someone like Blizzard is going to step in and take over they need to see a whole team of psychiatrists. :O) It ain't gonna happen. I don't know if contracts have been signed yet with Nival, but the way Ubi is talking...it's a done deal.

In regards to the AI, you have to remember that the AI was written when H5 was still developing. Nival was still learning the game itself. AND Ubi kept the budget at the same level. So the money simply wasn't there to stop production and re-work the AI from scratch like it basically needed to be. They've tweaked it and adjusted it where they could with the alloted time they had. Starting from scratch with H6, Nival will have a MUCH better idea what the AI needs to achieve and it'll be a much higher priority. Trust me, they're aware of its lack of the "I" in A.I.

alias-hw
10-10-2007, 02:03 PM
From what I can see from the demo of TotE, Nival is capable of creating a great Heroes game. If the game we have now with TotE had been the original H5 it would have been the ˜perfect' Heroes game.

So TotE shows that Nival now knows what they are doing and frankly I would rather have them continue on than a new developer starting all over and suddenly making all kinds of stupid mistakes again. How about a new developer deciding that those Caravans are a stupid thing and have to go? Or how about a new developer deciding that upgrading units is nonsense?

No, I don't mind as much that Nival does H6. The thing I don't like is that you practically need a sledgehammer to beat a suggestion into the overly stubborn Nival, and that they ignore (so it seems) any and all fan that doesn't speak Russian.

It is only so long that ˜there is a language barrier' is a reasonable excuse for ignoring everyone else.

H.W.

C_h_u_c_k_l_e_s
10-10-2007, 02:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alias-hw:
From what I can see from the demo of TotE, Nival is capable of creating a great Heroes game. If the game we have now with TotE had been the original H5 it would have been the ˜perfect' Heroes game.

So TotE shows that Nival now knows what they are doing and frankly I would rather have them continue on than a new developer starting all over and suddenly making all kinds of stupid mistakes again. How about a new developer deciding that those Caravans are a stupid thing and have to go? Or how about a new developer deciding that upgrading units is nonsense?

No, I don't mind as much that Nival does H6. The thing I don't like is that you practically need a sledgehammer to beat a suggestion into the overly stubborn Nival, and that they ignore (so it seems) any and all fan that doesn't speak Russian.

It is only so long that ˜there is a language barrier' is a reasonable excuse for ignoring everyone else.

H.W. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

But the communication HAS improved. Since slightly after HoF was in production it's gotten a LOT better. I really do hope that they get a PR director that speaks fluent English though. Larissa is a nightmare.

ImperialDane
10-10-2007, 02:46 PM
Well i'm with chuckles on this one, they have the experience with the game and they have been shown improvement during the games. So i am looking forward to Heroes IV.

C_h_u_c_k_l_e_s
10-10-2007, 02:48 PM
Heroes 4? Or VI? :O)

goznik
10-10-2007, 04:33 PM
Yep ,
now with ToTe heroes V is really a great and complete game (besides the AI http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif ),
So I dont mind nival doing Heroes VI.

Angelspit
10-10-2007, 06:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Larissa is a nightmare. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Who? &lt;g&gt;

Moragauth
10-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Well my game hasn't arrived yet, but it seems Nival has a success on its hands. Ever since HoF they've improved a lot. I just wish they'd focus more on stamping out what bugs there already are though, and make some minor functional/balance improvements.

unreal_az
10-11-2007, 06:17 PM
Ok let's start here:
- Feedback in beta : Did you ever see a Nival employee in the CB/OB/Normal forums? More money won't change the attitude of a game developer.If they don't want to learn english it's a matter of attitude and nothing else.
-Number of features from 3 to 5. (Original game).
Nr of creatures: LESS in 5.
Nr of spells: LESS in 5.
Nr of towns: LESS in 5.
Nr of adventure objects: LESS in 5.
Types of heroes / faction: LESS in 5.
Number of maps : LESS in 5.
Bugs : FULL in 5. (quests, spelling etc.) The only bug I recall in 3 Original : Double cast.

-Game engine: Broken:
-Graphics: Major problems concerning new video cards (due to the fact that the game was not tested on them but on a 8800 GTX ULTRA the game should run flawless (well it doesn't))
Major problems related to:
Video card leaks like:
-Computer restarts due to the fact that game leaks in terms of video memory.
-Computer freezes due to the same reason.
-Game crashes on over specs video cards.
Memory leaks like:
-Alt tab-ing from the game for more then 2 mins will reduce the game to a crawl.
-Playing a XL map with 5 comps will make the game end turn in 3+ mins.(Due to the idiotic AI that stops for 10 seconds to see where it should move next).
I think the AI doesn't have priorities but instead it "thinks" after each move where to move next. It doesn't go to a certain point, instead it checks each time after it moves a square to see what is more important in the vicinity.
This list could go on for hours trust me.
I think any other devs will do. If they fail due to the same problems the game should be handled to another dev and so on untill they find a developer that first hand takes care of it's community.

Just take a look here:
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/viewforum.php?f=9

Oh and one more tiny problem:
HOMM 3 - 1998
HOMM 5 - 2006

Moragauth
10-11-2007, 08:09 PM
My major complaint with HV is that its multiplayer maps are dreadfully slow. Impossible to play at such rates, I simply do not have the patience.

Jolly-Joker
10-12-2007, 12:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by unreal_az:
Ok let's start here:
- Feedback in beta : Did you ever see a Nival employee in the CB/OB/Normal forums? More money won't change the attitude of a game developer.If they don't want to learn english it's a matter of attitude and nothing else.
-Number of features from 3 to 5. (Original game).
Random map generator : NOT EXISTENT in 5.
Bugs : FULL in 5. (quests, spelling etc.) The only bug I recall in 3 Original : Double cast.

-Game engine: Broken:
-Graphics: Major problems concerning new video cards (due to the fact that the game was not tested on them but on a 8800 GTX ULTRA the game should run flawless (well it doesn't))
Major problems related to:
Video card leaks like:
-Game crashes on over specs video cards.
Memory leaks like:
-Alt tab-ing from the game for more then 2 mins will reduce the game to a crawl.
-Playing a XL map with 5 comps will make the game end turn in 3+ mins.(Due to the idiotic AI that stops for 10 seconds to see where it should move next).
I think the AI doesn't have priorities but instead it "thinks" after each move where to move next. It doesn't go to a certain point, instead it checks each time after it moves a square to see what is more important in the vicinity.
This list could go on for hours trust me.
I think any other devs will do. If they fail due to the same problems the game should be handled to another dev and so on untill they find a developer that first hand takes care of it's community.

Just take a look here:

HOMM 3 - 1998
HOMM 5 - 2006 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have 2007 now and we are two expansions further. So why are you comparing only the main game? Are the expansions NOT from Nival? Had H 3 not 2 expansions as well, the last of which was a stand-alone? Apart of the fact that the question more or less of this or that is highly irrelevant at that.

phoenixzs
10-12-2007, 05:14 AM
Game is good and ? wouldnt want another expansion but.....

Where are the efreets and behemoths http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The game mechanics with a few patches is going to be great but I cant say I am fond of some art works like archdevil(which was perfect in H3 in my opinion also bonedragon ruled in H2 and vampires simply suck at H5 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ).But tastes are tastes;they are different for everybody.

Now my hope is to perfect the multiplayer balance and make all the versions of the game(H5 ,Hammers of Fate,Tribes of the east) to able to play aganist each other with no problem

C_h_u_c_k_l_e_s
10-12-2007, 09:34 AM
Ok let's start here:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I did. Several actually. They weren't announcing the fact that they were from Nival though. I found out much later. We also had a one-on-one with them where we posed questions and fabrice moderated the answers. Although I don't recall the exact time-frame of that. Yes, they could DEFINITELY improve on their PR. But don't blame Nival...most of that falls at the feet of Ubisoft. THEY set the rules about talking with the public. Nival just cheats a little by talking to the russians on Nival's forums some.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">-Number of features from 3 to 5. (Original game).
Random map generator : NOT EXISTENT in 5.
Bugs : FULL in 5. (quests, spelling etc.) The only bug I recall in 3 Original : Double cast. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're leaving things out on purpose there I believe...just to emphasize your point. H3 had no RMG until the 2nd expansion (or was it the first? hmm..I'll have to double check). The spells that got left out...many of them were utterly pointless and didn't get used. Would I have liked a few more? Sure, but I'm not sure that they would've gotten used. H5 has a nice wide variety IMO.

Nival wasn't attempting to make an H3 clone. They were trying to make their own game that had enough references to H3 as to pull the fans back in. In terms of bugs...NWC had 3 previous Heroes games to work with BEFORE h3 came out (including P.o.L.). They didn't have to follow some big producer's lead on it, they worked on it soley by themselves. They also didn't have the language barrier that exists with Nival either. I'm not saying that the original h5 didn't have bugs...it most certainly did. But can you imagine NWC trying to make Heroes 3 as a first game in the series AND with a deadline hanging over their head? I love NWC but they're not miracle workers either....it would've had a bunch of bugs. And typos would've been all over the place...in foreign languages. Has anyone found any typos in the Russian version of H5? Just curious.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">-Game engine: Broken: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huh?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">-Graphics: Major problems concerning new video cards (due to the fact that the game was not tested on them but on a 8800 GTX ULTRA the game should run flawless (well it doesn't)) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't want to get into THAT kettle of worms. But suffice to say that H3 had much fewer concerns back then in terms of variations of cards and system specs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Major problems related to:
Video card leaks like:
-Game crashes on over specs video cards. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know if you've noticed or not, but each patch has found more memory leaks. They're still working on it. I'm no technical expert (far from it) but I still think a lot of the problems stem from the fact that they didn't know that engine going in. And once they reached a certain point in development, they couldn't go back and change the base of it. But then again...maybe the engine doesn't have ANYTHING to do with leaks? Couldn't say. But they are still working on it and I've seen ample evidence that it HAS improved rather dramatically since the initial release.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Memory leaks like:
I think the AI doesn't have priorities but instead it "thinks" after each move where to move next. It doesn't go to a certain point, instead it checks each time after it moves a square to see what is more important in the vicinity. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I don't know the details of the AI. But I've heard complaints about the fact that the AI was written fairly early in the development process and by the time they neared the end of it it was apparent it needed to be re-done. But there was no time or budget to do it. I figured they'd address it in a patch, but I've heard that it's too big of a change for a patch. I'm not sure if I believe that or not, but regardless, it seems they've got their hands around it now and would do a much better job on it for H6.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This list could go on for hours trust me.

Just take a look here:

HOMM 3 - 1998
HOMM 5 - 2006 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please! Are you serious with this last part? First off, you're basing you opinion of that Kings Bounty game to a few screenshots. The game itself could be utter garbage. Secondly, do you really want to destroy the franchise completely? Because that's exactly what would happen if you juggle developers for every game version. Third, the developer doesn't handle the "community"...that's the game producer's job. Nival was told flat out NOT to talk about the game with the fans. Early on, they let the PR consultant from Nival reveal some stuff but she ended up stating stuff that either shouldn't have been released or it was stuff that had already been removed/changed from the game. They put the clamps on her and limited her speaking out. And lastly...1998, the game was 2d, the game was in a much more popular PC gaming era, the game was at the peak of it's popularity, the game had built a gigantic fan-base and everyone was praising it from all corners of the globe. 2006, the game has been resurrected from the dead, the fan base is completely divided, the popularity of the franchise has dwindled down to virtually nothing, the PC gaming market is plummeting, and with all that they still make an excellent game that brings back the fans, sells MANY more copies than expected, and resurrects the brand name. An h3 clone it ain't.

Wurtzel1952
10-12-2007, 10:01 AM
Well spoken Chuckles http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

PhoenixReborn06
10-12-2007, 10:10 AM
Well one issue that I feel is legitimate is support. For example there is a thread:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4611096804/m/5391038565

where many people are having problems playing the game online. The first post is from June 10th 2007, and the most recent ones are from October 11th 2007, the same posters saying that they have contacted ubi support and still haven't had their issue solved.

Some problems are due to user error, but some problems are due to ubisoft server errors and those problems should be fixed by 1.5 years after the game is out.

It isn't uncommon for tech forum threads to go unanswered or be answered improperly. It makes it seem like no one cares.

C_h_u_c_k_l_e_s
10-12-2007, 12:18 PM
Yep. I agree there. But again...it's not a fault of Nival. That's ubi. There are times that I just don't think everyone at Ubi is on the same page. The seem so confused with what they want to achieve that nothing gets done. The bickering between the france division and the us division are a small example. Then look at what they promise will be done to the online sites. No updates to game pages in ages. They're all gung-ho up until the game hits the shelves. I understand thier perspective somewhat...once it's up, they've got to move on to the next project. They've only got a limited amount of man-power to do everything and they've got to focus that manpower on things that generate revenue. I get it...but it doesn't mean I like it. The really should have one person dedicated to each specific franchise and let that person update the game sites, be a liason to the fans and to help with support. As it is currently....it's a mess. But I'll still buy the heroes games. :O)

unreal_az
10-12-2007, 12:53 PM
About RMG you are correct indeed not present in Homm3 original.About the last part I'm not talking about the game -King's Bounty- I'm talking about the feedback the devs are giving / getting from the fans.

C_h_u_c_k_l_e_s
10-12-2007, 02:04 PM
Well, like I said about the feedback to the fans...that's on Ubisoft, not Nival. So changing developers certainly isn't going to change Ubisoft's stand on that matter. They want to control the flow of information from the developer to the fans. Because what the developer wants to do with the game might not always coincide with what ubisoft wants for the game.

And sorry for the misunderstanding about the KB part.

unreal_az
10-12-2007, 05:09 PM
I really don't think that if Nival wanted to hear (not tell) the fans or at least aknowledge it Ubisoft ould have said no.
Even on their forums they don't provide any feedback.
I'm with UBI on this one and I for one think if that the dev can't comunicate properly with the publisher the contract shouldn't be created.
There are 2 things I wanted to tell you also:
Remember the argue about the battlefield size with the Nival employee? I don't recall his name.
Also Fabrice's trip to Moscow in the last developing period?

Jolly-Joker
10-13-2007, 05:26 AM
You still didn't answer the question why you make such a random an invalid comparison at this point.

KingAlamar
10-14-2007, 06:36 AM
Nice thread-jack ....

------------------------------------------

I don't even see why we're arguing about UBI/Nival at this point.

From what I can tell UBI is a run-of-the-mill company that looks to maximize its profits over a 2 year period [or so]. As a run-of-the-mill company from an economic perspective they'll want to minimize risks while maximizing profits.

Basically this means that they are likely to stick with a developer that gives them the best bang-for-the-buck that they can get and it looks like this is Nival.

The only [possible?] way that UBI wouldn't have Nival develope H6 would be if they considered Nival too big of a risk to invest their $ in.

I imagine that the HoMM franchise is selling well so I doubt that the bean counters are too unhappy with Nival

----------------------------------------------

Devil's Advocate: I will admit the attitudes of some Nival employees has been worse than terrible.

----------------------------------------------

I will also have to admit that I have concerns about the AI && map editors though. To the best of my knowledge those were never fixed to the level that I'd like to see AND I don't see a real uproar from the fans.

No uproar ==&gt; Why should we spend $ to fix it for H6????