PDA

View Full Version : A tech question about UU

Loridion
03-06-2006, 06:20 AM
I'm going to be wiping the hard drive I have UU installed on and then reinstalling Windows. Do I need to save anything? I know my game is saved on the shard server, but what about the operation of my KI?

Loridion
03-06-2006, 06:20 AM
I'm going to be wiping the hard drive I have UU installed on and then reinstalling Windows. Do I need to save anything? I know my game is saved on the shard server, but what about the operation of my KI?

Mr Zebe D
03-06-2006, 06:28 AM
You don't need to save anything. You'll get a completely fresh vnode_cache from the server vault. This will include your KI.

You will lose any KI pics you've taken unless you move the file they're in / can extract them.

Reverend Vader
03-06-2006, 11:14 AM
The KI pics aren't stored on the shard server?

Well... I did not know that.

SilentObserver
03-07-2006, 12:53 PM
You know, I just tried to look for mine, and I don't know that they KI images are saved locally for the online game. In my POTS installation, I have the expected sav, KIimages, and My Journal folders, but none of those three appear in my UU install folders.

That said, I had to reinstall UU about the time D'Mala came online, and it's just possible I haven't collected a KI image since then, but I think the KI images are stored in the Nexus so they don't have to be transmitted upstream (relatively slow) when, for instance, you want to load one to an imager or send one to another KI.

HannaGertie
03-07-2006, 01:38 PM
The original version of Uru and thus for Until Uru has no inbuild method for translating KI pictures in an normal picture like bitmap or jpg etc and storing them. This feature was only introduced with the extentionpack for off line and with the UserKI for UU.
Instead your KIpictures are stored in the vnode_cache from which you can extract them with a specially written program.
Since D'mala has to be an install without the UserKI, the KIpictures will be only saved in the vnode_cache The program can probably found via the COBBSforum, but maybe someone here has a link to it.

Mr Zebe D
03-07-2006, 02:10 PM
Thanks, Hanna. Since they're in vnode_cache, I'm wrong and you'll keep them if you rebuild your UU from scratch. You'll get them back in your first download from the server.

frenyo
03-09-2006, 01:42 AM
I'd like to add that the vnode_cache folder really saves a local copy of the KI and imager images in coded jpg format as well as info about the avies you had met in the game. There is one subfolder for every shards. Therefore these data are not to be download again and again from the server. However, all of these date are saved at the server side, too, so if you delete this folder or make a fresh install all the data are downloaded again.