PDA

View Full Version : If you love airplanes, watch this...



Woof603
02-05-2008, 05:50 PM
F-22 Stuff

An ex-USAF buddy sent me this video...his comments:
F/A-22 Flight Demo - Impressive - Read below before viewing the video...
>
>
>
>
http://www.f22-raptor.com/media/video_gallery/videos/F22_AirShow_Langley.wmv
>
>
>
> The F/A-22 is now operational, with several wings already flying in the Air Force. The JSF-35 'Lightning' is fast approaching operational, and can do much more than the F/A-22 - including literally stopping in mid-air from near super-sonic flight.
The Su-27 / Su-31 'Cobra' maneuver was essentially a 'one-trick pony' maneuver. The F/A-22, and especially the JSF-35, can stop and eat a Sukoyhan doing the 'Cobra' maneuver, plus do so much more.
And, as pointed out by some ex-F-4 Phantom drivers, ANY of these maneuvers in an F-4 Phantom would have resulted in stall/fall/spin. H. Ownby (USAFA '69)
Fast (super-cruise*) and stealthy, and integrated avionics are cool, but what's really impressive is the F/A-22's low speed stability and maneuverability.
In the late 40s and to early 60s aeronautical
engineers were going nuts on how to shape intakes to handle both subsonic and super-sonic air flows, without stagnation or compressor stalls. Supersonic in itself was a big challenge because you had to use shock waves to slow the intake air mass to sub-sonic before it hit the compressor blades, or they would
stall. The engineers figured it out, but the solution was keeping a lot of air going in the front end to make sure all the hot air kept going out the back end. As you watch this Mach 2 airplane suspend motionless in air and do tail slides, be aware of the truly amazing performance of the engines and intakes.

Some used to think the Su-27 / Su-31 'Cobra'
maneuver was the epitome of 3rd to 4th generation fighter maneuverability. That snap maneuver doesn't hold a candle to what this two-dimensional vectored-thrust fighter with fat independent horizontal stabs can do at low speed. There must be far more tricks up its sleeve in the high subsonic dogfight speed range.
>
>
>
> The video is about 5 minutes long, but the last 30-40 seconds are priceless.
>
>
>
> Note also, that the RAPTOR does a complete 360
> degree turn in less than 20 seconds !
>
>
>
> ACC recently approved the Raptors new DEMO profile.
> This was the first show. Five minute video.
>
>
>
> Watch the elevators of the airplane in this demo.
> They work independently. It also has vectored
> thrust.
>
>
>
> *Supercruise: The F/A-22 can sustain supersonic
> flight without the use of fuel-gulping afterburners.
> I.e. 1.6
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Woof603
02-05-2008, 05:50 PM
F-22 Stuff

An ex-USAF buddy sent me this video...his comments:
F/A-22 Flight Demo - Impressive - Read below before viewing the video...
>
>
>
>
http://www.f22-raptor.com/media/video_gallery/videos/F22_AirShow_Langley.wmv
>
>
>
> The F/A-22 is now operational, with several wings already flying in the Air Force. The JSF-35 'Lightning' is fast approaching operational, and can do much more than the F/A-22 - including literally stopping in mid-air from near super-sonic flight.
The Su-27 / Su-31 'Cobra' maneuver was essentially a 'one-trick pony' maneuver. The F/A-22, and especially the JSF-35, can stop and eat a Sukoyhan doing the 'Cobra' maneuver, plus do so much more.
And, as pointed out by some ex-F-4 Phantom drivers, ANY of these maneuvers in an F-4 Phantom would have resulted in stall/fall/spin. H. Ownby (USAFA '69)
Fast (super-cruise*) and stealthy, and integrated avionics are cool, but what's really impressive is the F/A-22's low speed stability and maneuverability.
In the late 40s and to early 60s aeronautical
engineers were going nuts on how to shape intakes to handle both subsonic and super-sonic air flows, without stagnation or compressor stalls. Supersonic in itself was a big challenge because you had to use shock waves to slow the intake air mass to sub-sonic before it hit the compressor blades, or they would
stall. The engineers figured it out, but the solution was keeping a lot of air going in the front end to make sure all the hot air kept going out the back end. As you watch this Mach 2 airplane suspend motionless in air and do tail slides, be aware of the truly amazing performance of the engines and intakes.

Some used to think the Su-27 / Su-31 'Cobra'
maneuver was the epitome of 3rd to 4th generation fighter maneuverability. That snap maneuver doesn't hold a candle to what this two-dimensional vectored-thrust fighter with fat independent horizontal stabs can do at low speed. There must be far more tricks up its sleeve in the high subsonic dogfight speed range.
>
>
>
> The video is about 5 minutes long, but the last 30-40 seconds are priceless.
>
>
>
> Note also, that the RAPTOR does a complete 360
> degree turn in less than 20 seconds !
>
>
>
> ACC recently approved the Raptors new DEMO profile.
> This was the first show. Five minute video.
>
>
>
> Watch the elevators of the airplane in this demo.
> They work independently. It also has vectored
> thrust.
>
>
>
> *Supercruise: The F/A-22 can sustain supersonic
> flight without the use of fuel-gulping afterburners.
> I.e. 1.6
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

AFJ_rsm
02-05-2008, 06:05 PM
pfsh


been doing all that for years flying the spit +25 online.


cool video

Urufu_Shinjiro
02-05-2008, 06:13 PM
That....was.....bad......@ss!!!!!!!!!1

jolly_magpie
02-05-2008, 06:47 PM
And all for a mere 300 million dollars EACH. The F22 is a joke.

BoCfuss
02-05-2008, 07:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jolly_magpie:
And all for a mere 300 million dollars EACH. The F22 is a joke. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really, but I get your point. They are expensive, the future will be its judge, its worth 175 million but is it money well spent. Who knows? F-22 will be a nice stop gap until UCAVs take over. The same exact things were said about the F-15, it was unbelievably expensive for its time, as the f-22 is. It was worth it. Besides its not your money they are using to buy it with, unless your in the top 2% of America.

VW-IceFire
02-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Wow...impressive stuff they can do with the F-22. It truly looks like an aircraft meant to be in the air. Doesn't matter which way it seems to be pointed...the plane is perfectly happy to just be there and do whatever the pilots telling it to do.

HuninMunin
02-05-2008, 08:04 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif
Maybe I'm just tired but the routine didn't seem very special to me...
Other then the T/W the performence wasn't much of a difference to the Mig-29 demonstrator.

biggs222
02-05-2008, 08:45 PM
the F-35 (IMO) is going to be the last manned US fighter/atttack jet to go into production.

the F22 is just around to maintain air superiority. nothing can match both its maneuverability/stealth. its truly the pinnacle of fighter jet design theres no denying it.

Loco-S
02-05-2008, 08:49 PM
The La5FN in game can do that and more.

TheGozr
02-05-2008, 08:49 PM
biggs222 luckly there is no tax on dreams..

biggs222
02-05-2008, 08:59 PM
not yet anyway http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

DrHerb
02-05-2008, 09:01 PM
that was all kinds of cool, thanx for sharing! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

*edit* so far there is no compressor stall or any sign of engine failure in this demonstration with low airflow going into the engine which led to alot of the Su/Mig crashes in other airshows

BrotherVoodoo
02-05-2008, 10:08 PM
WOW! Thanks for sharing that link.

Messaschnitzel
02-05-2008, 10:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DrHerb:

*edit* so far there is no compressor stall or any sign of engine failure in this demonstration with low airflow going into the engine which led to alot of the Su/Mig crashes in other airshows </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's because the Russians didn't have this technology built into the engines to keep them super cool in any situation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8wrIgbiCgs

jolly_magpie
02-05-2008, 10:59 PM
Yeah, it seems crazy expensive to me, but time will tell.

LEBillfish
02-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Fokker DVII could out turn it and probably cost less then $1,000.00......