PDA

View Full Version : New Commander needs a little direction

Gathrun
01-21-2008, 07:39 AM
Hello all. I got the game a few weeks ago. I was very excited and very confused at the same time. After completing a few submarine school missions and feeling completely overwhelmed, I of course jumped full on into a new career for trial by fire.

I managed, I think. Turns out it may be the best way to learn. I'd like to thank all the very knowledgeable posters here. Though this is my first post, I have been around reading other people's problems, searching for answers to my own and generally being shocked by the sheer amount of knowledge of some of the regulars. So thank you all. Having considered myself a bit of a history/WWII buff before, I have now removed that tile from my resume. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Given the condition of the manual, which since everyone seems to agree I won't get into, I have a few questions I hope someone can help with. I'll bold those for anyone who doesn't want to read the rest of the ramblings and decide what I'm really getting at. I've been itching to tell some stories to parties that may be more interested than my wife (who seems less than impressed) too, but I'll mostly hold off on those as I'm sure most people have come across the same things.

I think some of my problems have come from not having a patched game yet, for various reasons. I plan on doing that today. On that note, I understand that all of my save games that are not in port will be unaccessible. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Shame because I had some nice setups. But my question is, where are the save games kept? I'd like to back them up someplace else just in case anything goes wrong. Is this the folder in My Documents? There seem to be a bunch of folders in there, but the names are unidentifiable. I assume this is and that they mean something to the game.

What is the save replay check option when saving for?

Is there any difference between the attack and observation periscope? It seems to be the same range, magnification, ability to attack, etc. At this point I just essentially use the attack because that's what you get when you double click.

Due to my unfamiliarity with how to install mods, despite the guides I have seen, I haven't installed any. Some have additional features in them that I do not want among the some I do as well. One I may want to attempt is a fuel mod. Yes, I've read all the stuff on optimal cruising speed as such now. Due to the limited time I can play in a day, I currently go with unlimited fuel and try to realistically limit myself time and distance wise and cruise at 10 knots when in an operational area, then crank it up to flank when east of the Marshalls or South of Java just to get back. My first mission left from Manilla and returned to Java, but I realized on my second mission that fuel is a precious commodity and took three days of playing to limp back to Australia on 10% fuel to recharge and one knot on batteries. I think I'm ready to go back to limited fuel, but want the safety net of a little better fuel consumption. I've seen references to a stock fuel mod to TM. Is this seperate or a piece of the whole package? I can't seem to locate it if seperate. I've also seen references to Flavor to Taste, that may have improved fuel usage. Help or suggestions?

I am now on my second career. My first ended uncerimoniously when Command decided that I wasn't up to par after my tenth patrol and 1 million plus tonnage wasn't enough to leave me in command, let alone leave me in the Navy. A bit annoying. I think I read somewhere that there is a problem with Balao boats returning to port earlier than they should have been there? This was my first in one for that career I think. I can't find the reference to it again though. Any insight?

So much more, but I've rambled more than I meant to. I'll save the rest for later. Most are just seeing what other people do and observations more than questions.

So I thank you for reading and apologize for the length.

Gathrun
01-21-2008, 07:39 AM
Hello all. I got the game a few weeks ago. I was very excited and very confused at the same time. After completing a few submarine school missions and feeling completely overwhelmed, I of course jumped full on into a new career for trial by fire.

I managed, I think. Turns out it may be the best way to learn. I'd like to thank all the very knowledgeable posters here. Though this is my first post, I have been around reading other people's problems, searching for answers to my own and generally being shocked by the sheer amount of knowledge of some of the regulars. So thank you all. Having considered myself a bit of a history/WWII buff before, I have now removed that tile from my resume. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Given the condition of the manual, which since everyone seems to agree I won't get into, I have a few questions I hope someone can help with. I'll bold those for anyone who doesn't want to read the rest of the ramblings and decide what I'm really getting at. I've been itching to tell some stories to parties that may be more interested than my wife (who seems less than impressed) too, but I'll mostly hold off on those as I'm sure most people have come across the same things.

I think some of my problems have come from not having a patched game yet, for various reasons. I plan on doing that today. On that note, I understand that all of my save games that are not in port will be unaccessible. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Shame because I had some nice setups. But my question is, where are the save games kept? I'd like to back them up someplace else just in case anything goes wrong. Is this the folder in My Documents? There seem to be a bunch of folders in there, but the names are unidentifiable. I assume this is and that they mean something to the game.

What is the save replay check option when saving for?

Is there any difference between the attack and observation periscope? It seems to be the same range, magnification, ability to attack, etc. At this point I just essentially use the attack because that's what you get when you double click.

Due to my unfamiliarity with how to install mods, despite the guides I have seen, I haven't installed any. Some have additional features in them that I do not want among the some I do as well. One I may want to attempt is a fuel mod. Yes, I've read all the stuff on optimal cruising speed as such now. Due to the limited time I can play in a day, I currently go with unlimited fuel and try to realistically limit myself time and distance wise and cruise at 10 knots when in an operational area, then crank it up to flank when east of the Marshalls or South of Java just to get back. My first mission left from Manilla and returned to Java, but I realized on my second mission that fuel is a precious commodity and took three days of playing to limp back to Australia on 10% fuel to recharge and one knot on batteries. I think I'm ready to go back to limited fuel, but want the safety net of a little better fuel consumption. I've seen references to a stock fuel mod to TM. Is this seperate or a piece of the whole package? I can't seem to locate it if seperate. I've also seen references to Flavor to Taste, that may have improved fuel usage. Help or suggestions?

I am now on my second career. My first ended uncerimoniously when Command decided that I wasn't up to par after my tenth patrol and 1 million plus tonnage wasn't enough to leave me in command, let alone leave me in the Navy. A bit annoying. I think I read somewhere that there is a problem with Balao boats returning to port earlier than they should have been there? This was my first in one for that career I think. I can't find the reference to it again though. Any insight?

So much more, but I've rambled more than I meant to. I'll save the rest for later. Most are just seeing what other people do and observations more than questions.

So I thank you for reading and apologize for the length.

snakeyez77
01-21-2008, 07:53 AM
All very good questions that I'd like to see the answers to as well! As for this:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I am now on my second career. My first ended uncerimoniously when Command decided that I wasn't up to par after my tenth patrol and 1 million plus tonnage wasn't enough to leave me in command, let alone leave me in the Navy. A bit annoying. I think I read somewhere that there is a problem with Balao boats returning to port earlier than they should have been there? This was my first in one for that career I think. I can't find the reference to it again though. Any insight? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you patch your game up to the current version of v1.4? I have read where that was a game bug that has been fixed in the current version.

Gathrun
01-21-2008, 08:53 AM
No, I haven't patched yet. I seem to remember that the post I read said a patch fixed that, or it may have been a mod. I just can't remember.

The temporary solution (or maybe it was the only solution) was to sail around for a few months until you hit the correct date.

lane2512
01-21-2008, 09:37 AM
Do yourself a huge favor and patch to 1.4 right away. Stock 1.0 is very quirky.

You do not need patches 1.1, 1.2, or 1.3....just patch 1.4 (it is culumative).

That will improve the game a ton for you.

When you are ready to mod see any post by DGRAYSON....in his signature block is a link to his illustrated guide on mod installation...step by step from A to Z.

Good hunting Cap'n!

Gathrun
01-21-2008, 11:11 AM
Yup, will do, thanks. I planned to patch it over the weekend, but thought I saved the download to my stick drive from work and must have sent it to the hard drive. Got to my house, stuck in the drive, and no patch! The horror! So I ran through one more patrol on my current career and ending in port again so I can patch.

I've seen the guide, thanks. When I get brave enough to try one I'll be relying heavily on it.

Gathrun
01-24-2008, 11:41 AM
I've been playing the patched game for several days now, though less than I'd like due to a busy time at work. I still find myself staying up way too late at night, lol. So I'm back with many more questions and comments, or ramblings to myself, but I'll stick to only a few.

I'm not sure about the repeat missions thing, since I seem to have gotten the same standard patrol mission on my second time out.

The war update/cutscenes seem to only tease me. At first, I seemed to notice they were way off base with the timing. Telling me that by August, we'd taken the island, when I just pulled into port in June.

Then last night, most frustrating of all was to come in on November 5th, get an update that we will be pushing through the Marshalls etc on the 20th and that our fleet boats will be patrolling around Truk to intercept any any fleets. I then start my mission and find out I am putting to sea four days after the fact, AND I am send to patrol the South China Sea.

SH4, you are a big tease. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif I'm going to start putting off orders and follow the action soon.

Maybe start a mega patrol (if the average length is only six patrols or so anyway) and keep restocking at a tender to be able to actually participate in an update action or flash traffic message. I keep getting sent to the other side of theater.

I have been not refitting, and just doing one sortie per patrol. What do others do? What is the thoughts on refit versus new patrols?

pookapotamus
01-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Hi Gathrun welcome to the forum, if you are going todo a "mega" patrol keep in ming doing a refit does not fix hull damage, so you will be going out with a damaged sub after a refit. I have not experienced that you only get six patrols in a career usually more unless you get canned by command or dead.

good luck and keep posting!

dgrayson
01-24-2008, 01:00 PM
Gathrun

Welcome!

This is the way I approach the game.
If I am departing from Pearl Harbor.
I get my initial orders, let's say Patrol Honshu. I head that way and refuel at Midway. It's then on to the coast of Japan to my assigned patrol area. Once I am within range of Japanese air cover I spend the daylight hours submerged at about knot speed and run at 10 knots on the surface at night. I generally run into targets of opportunity along the way and decide whether to attack or not based on the circumstances.
At the patrol area I fulfill the requirements and radio in a status report. I then receive new orders and then follow them. If, however there is Intelligence about an upcoming battle, I can head there. There is no limit on the amount of time it takes to complete a mission, so I may head for the battle and complete the mission later.
As long as my boat is undamaged, I will keep refitting and working missions. I do try to make sure I don't stay out for more than 90 days. My boys get some R&R and I get to upgrade my boat or maybe get a new one.
My last career was from 08DEC41 to the end of the war. I was never retired and got to try three different boats.

Read the Guide tambor is compiling for some top notch information HERE (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6421019045/m/4351073726).

Also check out the Guide to completing missions HERE (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6421019045/m/3431059945)

Hope this adds to your enjoyment of the game.

Sparhawk81
01-24-2008, 01:12 PM
Soooooo....

1. First of all, you don't have to strictly obey your orders... for example, you can just sail around sinking japs and only then head towards your patrol zone. Just remember to keep some spare torpedoes, in case command wants you to sink some shipping after having patrolled the zone.

2. Secondly, repeat mission thing... it's a known issue. Some mods deal with it, at least reducing the rate at which missions are assigned.
Anyway, read #1 above... it's a nuisance, but not such a tremendous issue.

3. Refitting... I don't think I've ever refitted, so far... with some experience and luck, you'll manage to perform 70k tons patrols: actually, I manage to sink at least 25/30K tons per patrol, so when I fire my last torpedo I call it a day and head back home.

4. Save games: My Documents\SH4\data\cfg

5. Observation scope should have a smaller profile, and so it should be harder to spot... basically, I use attack scope, tho...

6. Trigger Maru is a big mod, and includes several features. In the read me, you'll find instructions on how to enable/disable certain features and eliminate/keep the other ones.

7. Being randomly fired by Command was a stock version bug. Either Patch 1.4 or Trigger Maru have fixed it.

Should you need any other info, feel free to ask! Oh, BTW... Tambor has opened a very useful topic, trying to create a community written Guide to SH4... you might want to check it out! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

The SHIV Guide (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6421019045/m/4351073726)

Gathrun
01-31-2008, 11:15 AM
Thanks, all. Its interesting to see what other people approach the game.

I'll keep all the tips in mind. I've seen those guides and made good use of them. I'd have shelved the game the first day if I hadn't come here and found out how to complete that patrol mission. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I now have a subtender much closer to my area of operations, so fuel is not so much of a concern. It will be again in the earlier parts of the campaigns, but I think I'll leave limited on. At least until I spend hours returning to base on battery again, lol.

I'm currently only playing without the manual targeting and no map contact options off, and enjoying it. As real as manual targeting may feel, I'm too lazy to do that much work. My only problem with it is that it tends to not recognize ships occassionally. I have my crosshairs dead on it and nothing happens.

I also once managed to put two fish into a small tanker that got in the way of what I was aiming for. No real problem there, except that I didn't get credit for the sink. No record in my log. I think it was just a little technical glitch rather than believing the game doesn't give me credit for sinking the wrong target.

I'm still getting horrible amounts of Patrol Celebes Sea missions though. I'll have to look at some of the repetative mission mod corrections.

During my first career, I couldn't understand some people's posts about not finding warship. I was hitting one every patrol. I've now gone this whole career with only seeing one. I'm itching to see more, lol. Its good they are rarer though.

What I don't understand is why there are all these incredible graphics (at least compared to what I am used to), but the game penalizes you for using the free or event camera to actually see them. I understand the free camera, I guess. It can be used to help out in a fight, but the event camera really isn't an advantage.

I still don't like the captain's log in the office. Its crammed together, confusing and its all dated as of the first date of the patrol. And all the medals I get at the end of the patrol 1 - refer to my first boat, not the one I am currently in and 2 - has no clue what war patrol number I am on.

So all my rambling leads to two questions.

1) Is there anyway to control reverse speed more precisely than 1/3, 2/3, emergency, etc? Trying on the knotometer kicks you back into forward. I'm guessing not, but hoping so.

2) Is there anyway to view your prior ended careers? Again, hoping so and guessing not. Even if I have the last in port save of that career, it wouldn't include the final patrol unless it somehow saves that separate.

Thanks all. Still learning things, but I'm hooked, even for all the repetition and minor flaws.

Yooperbacker
01-31-2008, 11:42 AM
Hello Gathrun, Your question -
1) Is there anyway to control reverse speed more precisely than 1/3, 2/3, emergency, etc? Trying on the knotometer kicks you back into forward. I'm guessing not, but hoping so.

I had played this game for at least 2 months and wondered on some post I read that people were talking about going to a depth of 200 or more and the depth meter in the game only goes to 165 or so and I wondered how do they go deeper. One day I went to hit the depth meter and missed and clicked below it, the meter changed. Then there was a new depth meter that went below 165.
What you do to get these other gauges is to look below the ones that are there and you will see a box thing just to the left of the number. To me it looks like a rubber mat you might see on a step. Click on that and you will see the gauge (meter) change. The new knot meter is broken down to numbers to use. Ta da. Kinda neat I think.

dgrayson
01-31-2008, 01:44 PM
This is not, I repeat not, a correction of what YB just told you. It is just a more permanent way to do it.

You can't do it in the game, but there is a way to adjust the speed for the various Telegraph settings. Here is how you do it:

Let's use the Gato as an example.
Each submarine has a file folder in C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\Data\Submarine\
Go to the folder C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\Data\Submarine\NSS_Gato and open it.
Look for NSS_Gato.cfg.
Open it with notepad and you will see the following (mine is a little different than yours because I have TTM1.7.6 enabled, but the format is the same)

[Unit]
ClassName=SSGato
3DModelFileName=data/Submarine/NSS_Gato/NSS_Gato
HumanPlayable=YES
Interior=data/Interior/NSS_Gato/NSS_Gato
UnitType=200
MaxSpeed=21
MaxSpeedSubmerged=9
Length=95
Width=8.3
RenownAwarded=130

[Salvo]
1=1,3,2,4
2=1,2,4
3=1,3,4
4=1,4
5=2,3
6=1,3
7=2,4

[Properties]
PeriscopeDepth=18.3;meters
SnorkelDepth=210;meters
CrashDepth=48.8;meters
MaxDepth=90;meters
SurfaceDepth=4.805;meters
TorpLaunchMaxDepth=30;meters
StormConditions=15,0.2;max wind speed [m/s], max rain intensity [0,1]

[EngineProperties]
AllStop=0.00
AheadSlow=0.20
AheadOneThird=0.40
AheadStandard=0.60
AheadFull=0.80
AheadFlank=1.00
BackSlow=-0.20
BackStandard=-0.30
BackFull=-0.50
BackEmergency=-0.70

The last chunk is what you are interested in. The numbers at the end of each line are percentages. Since the max submerged speed is 9 knots, BackSlow is set at .20 (20%) of 9 knots or about 2 knots. If you change BackSlow to .10, then setting the telegraph to BackSlow will give you a speed of 1 knot. This will also affect the surface speed. So if you do change it , BackSlow on the surface will be 10% of 21 knots or 2 knots.

Make the changes to what you want the speed % set to and save and close the file. If you have Vista as your OS you will need to unclick ReadOnly in the file properties window. This is unnecessary for XP users. Thank you Bill Gates.

Let me anticipate a question. What happens when you increase MaxDepth?
You can turn your sub into a deep sea diving bell if you want to. Change MaxDepth to 1000 meters and you can safely go down to 3000 or so feet, but that is unrealistic and I don't personally make those kinds of weird changes to my boat, but it's your game.

Gathrun
01-31-2008, 07:17 PM
Thank you both, again.

I had actually stumbled upon the detailed knotometer (or maybe it was actually mentioned in the manual) Yooperbacker, but it doesn't allow you to do the controlled speed in reverse, as far as I can figure. Unless I am misunderstanding what you mean. I'll take a look just to be sure tonight.

I'll have to think how important this is to me before messing around with the system settings, dgrayson, but thanks for the info. The system settings usually suffice since I'm not usually cruising for long distances backwards. At least not intentionally. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif A knot or two shouldn't be a big deal. Or I'm just lazy. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

And no desire to go that deep. I haven't even taken the time to do the depth conversion to find out the crush depths in meters instead of feet to know how deep I can actually take it. I've never intentionally been under 250 feet.

Gathrun
02-01-2008, 10:41 AM
Ask and ye shall receive, lol.

No sooner had I mentioned I haven't had task groups, when I get three at the same time. Ignoring my 25th order to patrol the Celebes Sea, I headed up to Saipan after the war progress clip at the start of the patrol mentioned it was time to invade. So I joined the boats patrolling out west of the island when my radar absolutely lights up. Three seperate groups all merging in the same area, each a formation of multiple staggered columns surrounded by destroyers.

I have no idea what was in the other two, but the ships I could see in the one I ended up in the middle of were two Yamatos, a Kongo, Shokaku, Chitose and several heavy and light cruisers. After slipping beneath the Shokaku and putting two stern torpedoes into her for the kill, I hit all six bow on the Yamato, turned and pumped in my two stern as well. Still not immediately going down (I hate to wait and miss a chance to sink if the damage isn't enough) I put a newly reloaded torpedo into her and finished the job.

And I get to do it all over again (hopefully), since a destroyer got a lucky hit and took out my starboard electric and port diesel. Yup, two working engines and dead in the water with no hope of moving. I hate that. So I surfaced and found out how overpowered the 40MM AA guns are. I literally sank 6 destroyers with only about 30-40 shots each. So the area around me is clear and there I sit, chunks missing from my boat and unable to move.

So I have a follow up meeting with them tonight if I can find them. It was just such a perfect set up, I should have been more careful. I got in undetected, then left my scope up too long.

I must say that I think Brisbane will be my new port from now on. Early in the war, it puts you closer to the real action. Much fun.

Don't mind me, I'm just prattling on.

dgrayson
02-01-2008, 11:38 AM
I just love reading posts from someone having a good time playing. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif One word of warning, this game can be highly addictive. Be careful, be very, very careful. You could easily wind up totally hooked.

Like me. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif
Dave

Gathrun
02-01-2008, 03:49 PM
Too late http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

Gathrun
02-29-2008, 11:45 AM
Little late in the telling, but after two weeks out of town, and another two catching up from it, here's the results of our rematch.

I found them again that night, but made contact with the OTHER two task forces instead. So no chance at the Yamatos again. I think I made up for it.

The XO looked at me a little odd as I let the first Shokaku go by, but I redeemed myself by downing the Taiho that was next in line. It hurt but I had to make sure to get the big target. And I got back in his good graces by nailing the trailing Shokaku as well.

With little pursuit, and a second task force coming up, I dove deep and moved across to line up better on them. The XO didn't glare at me as much as I let a passable shot on a Shokaku pass again, but I think I saw him shake his head a bit. He again forgave me when I pumped four fish into the Fuso and set it on fire, listing and dead in the water. I think he started to trust my judgement when I put the last two bow tubes into yet another trailing Shokaku. Three of my four stern shots into a Mogami provided a nice finish to the day as escorts began to swarm. Or so I thought.

For some unknown reason, the passed Shokaku and a Hiryu circled back around. Too good of a chance to pass on, I put two into the Hiryu and downed her too. With escorts buzzing, I finally couldn't wait anymore and put a last fish into the Fuso to do her in.

In the escape, I killed off a few destroyers with tight maneuvering and some luck, before tiring of the game and revisiting those overpowered 40mm's. Not the historically accurate thing to do, but hey, I'm playing stock version. Figured I'd take out the tanker still hanging around too.

Gathrun
02-29-2008, 11:46 AM
http://centrum.dotcaguys.com/Screens/Saipan%20log%201.JPG
Page 1

http://centrum.dotcaguys.com/Screens/Saipan%20log%202.JPG
Page 2

http://centrum.dotcaguys.com/Screens/Saipan%20log%203.JPG
Page 3

I don't normally stay up for planes, but I got tired of the up and down since I needed to find the fleet.

http://centrum.dotcaguys.com/Screens/Saipan%20patrol%20summary.JPG

Ignore the babble. I'm just having fun.

Gathrun
02-29-2008, 11:53 AM
Speaking of realistic or historically accurate, I've seen recent and prior posts on killing off escorts and then maybe even taking out entire convoys.

Seeing as destroyers were always things to avoid, I essentially leave them alone and take a couple shots at the convoy, then slip away. Even in the cases where I end up killing off the escorts, I don't usually track down the rest of the convoy.

I know everyone plays differently, but what's the thoughts on playing with some sort of historical accuracy? DO you hunt escorts or avoid even those lone destroyers? Do you go after a smaller tanker over a large transport, because it IS a tanker? Do you pass up larger battleships for a full size carrier, which I think the preference would have been (though that's a tough call)?

PkM-Lost2
02-29-2008, 11:59 AM
Well you could try some mods, such as Trigger Maru, either 1.7.6 or the new overhaul. And Run Silent, Run Deep.

TM changes a lot of the game, making it harder. Aircraft are to be avoided at all cost... or you die. Destroyers aren't too much better though IMO. It takes the contacts off the map too, so it's much harder to find your targets.

RSRD changes the campaign layer, making the missions more than just, "Patrol Celebes Sea"

You can read about them on the forums, but I definitely recommend them both.