PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know what this means? ***SPOILER***

GaM3r_010
12-06-2009, 07:36 PM
At ***SPOILER*** the end where everyone meets up with you at DNA Sequence 11, and they take you to the top of the tower, Mario says:

"La shia wak'ion motlaq bal kollon moumkine."

Does ANYONE know what that means???

Is it something like Latin?

GaM3r_010
12-06-2009, 07:36 PM
At ***SPOILER*** the end where everyone meets up with you at DNA Sequence 11, and they take you to the top of the tower, Mario says:

Is it something like Latin?

SWJS
12-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Altair says the exact same thing when he kills Al Mualim.

It's arabic for "Nothing is true, everything is permitted."

AnotherJonSmith
12-06-2009, 07:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GaM3r_010:

Is it something like Latin? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On a simple google, I found it was the las words Altair said to Al Mualim. It's Arabic for "There is nothing impossible, everything/anything is possible."

http://boardsus.playstation.co...reed&thread.id=10772 (http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=assassinscreed&thread.id=10772)

SWJS
12-06-2009, 07:42 PM
In other words, "Nothing is true, everything is permitted"

AnotherJonSmith
12-06-2009, 07:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EzioTheAssassin:
In other words, "Nothing is true, everything is permitted" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, pretty much.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, how do you guys define the meaning of "Nothing is true, everything is permitted"? I never really understood the meaning, seemed way to paradox-y for me.

SWJS
12-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Neither did I. It gets explained at one point.

I used to match it up to "Nothing anyone tells me is true, only what I percieve is permitted" or something like that.

AnotherJonSmith
12-06-2009, 08:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EzioTheAssassin:

I used to match it up to "Nothing anyone tells me is true, only what I percieve is permitted" or something like that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I mean, I heard the quote before AC1, and I know it is also said "Nothing is true, everything is permitted; Everything is true, nothing is permitted." Seems really philosophical for me. If I perceive and permit lies around me, does that make them true?

Blaarg, I wish there was a clear-cut answer.

Dudebag
12-06-2009, 08:13 PM

I used to match it up to "Nothing anyone tells me is true, only what I percieve is permitted" or something like that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't Malak say that its impossible to know anything, you can only suspect?

HewieAlbino
12-06-2009, 08:22 PM
It's just like the saying "There's nothing good or evil in the world, it's human thinking that makes it so".

It's all in your head. What you allow yourself to belief in is true, everything else is a lie. Some people believe God is real, while others think he isn't, that it's a lie. But we don't know the real truth do we?

As a kid, you believe Santa Claus is real. But once you've grown, you begin to realise he's nothing more than a story, told by your parents as something to look forwards to for Christmas. So to you, he isn't real, isn't true, but to your children, he is.

This can mean that everything we know about, everything that exists, only exists because we allow ourselves to believe it does. The moment we think it false, it's all but old wives' tales and fantasy stories.

I think this saying "Nothing is true, and everything is permitted" is telling us to open our minds and see the world differently. Don't just listen to stories, go out and find the truth, if there is one.

AnotherJonSmith
12-06-2009, 08:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dudebag:

Didn't Malak say that its impossible to know anything, you can only suspect? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, excuse me as I totally ignore your post for a second.

I think it's a reference to history and how things are recorded and perceived. "Nothing is true" meaning everything learned so far is a lie, someone else's opinions and experiences translated into text to be learned upon by later individuals. Like the phrase, "History is written by the last man standing." So, with that, "Everything is permitted" would mean that the certain writer of history could write preposterous things (myths, religious texts, etc.) but still be believed? And moving on to "Everything is true" would mean that you learn that lie and take it as a truth. Furthermore, "nothing is permitted" would mean that the lie you believed is the clear-cut, straight up factual truth with no opinion involved.

So, relating that paragraph to your post, maybe Malak said that to further reinforce the idea of "nothing is true, everything is permitted." Like you can never really know how things went down, you can only suspect what happened or take account of the last person there.

I don't know if I'm being clear enough. Let me make a shambledash example. Person A takes Person B's goats. Person B attacks Person A but loses and dies or something. Then Person A tells everything else that he was attacked by Person B/Person B stole his goats. Then, it's written down into history as Person A defending himself against Person B, when it was really the other way around.

I hope I got my point across now. I think I distinguished myself as a forum nut-job now.

EDIT: Okay, I sure as hell liked Hewie Albino's interpretation a lot better than my own.

ARJAN94
12-07-2009, 05:57 PM
My opinon:

Nothing is for sure/real/going to happen/happened

Everything can happen.

It's really vague and can mean a lot of things. But you can use this "saying" and apply it to this whole thread, lol.

Like... yeah... just try and figure it out yourself. It's one of those things that cannot really be put into words.

Zerban_da_Great
12-07-2009, 06:23 PM
Altair explains it pretty thoroughly in AC2's Codex. "Nothing is true" means that any statement if made for long enough becomes truth, and real truth requires an objective viewpoint, which humans are near-incapable of reaching.

"Everything is permitted" means that all the rules in place are simply to control people in a way that those in power wish, and that there is actually nothing stopping them from acting in any way they want. Altair notes that this knowledge sometimes drives people mad, but for some it gives them resolve to make the world a better place.

mkaramantr
12-08-2009, 12:15 PM
la: no
shia: thing
wak'ion: ???
motlaq: certain
bal: ???
kollon: all of them
moumkine: possible

Nothing is certain, but everything is possible.