PDA

View Full Version : User Map Distribution

xenzoso
07-25-2005, 07:04 AM
This issue has now reached critical stage in my opinion and needs to be dealt with as soon as possible by the developers. Downloadable content from Ubisoft is great and I am all for it but it does not solve one of the fundamental problems with Splinter Cells Versus mode.

I am referring of course to the wealth of creative talent from map makers out there which is completely unplayed and unnoticed by the average Splinter Cell player. This is a kneejerk reaction on my part after seeing the awesome looking Eden map on the Map Editor Discussion forum. I would hate for more maps like this to go to waste.

Up until now I have only played 4 rounds on user made maps simply because most players who join a server have never heard of the maps or know that they are available to freely download. This may not be a problem for those players who mainly play in close knit communities with one another but for free for all hosting this is a major problem, and arguably this is where the majority of Splinter Cell gaming takes place.

I have several superb user made maps on my system, such as Oilrig and the UMP Maps, which I would love to play competitively but up until now have only had the pleasure of admiring on Visit A Map.

As it stand at the moment, anyone who creates a map for Spy Vs Merc in my opinion, knowingly creates it as dead on arrival and that is a sad state of affairs. The UnrealEd is a great tool and Epic Games value there mod community as much as the Unreal franchise itself, whereas Ubisoft and Splinter Cell treat it as an afterthought. For months now the Map Editor Forum has asked for a complete version of Splinter Cell's UnrealEd to improve the quality of maps they create and have still not received it.

Don't get me wrong if it weren't for the talented folk from Ubisoft Montreal/Shanghai I wouldn't even be posting this in the first place. No series of games has stayed on my system as long as Splinter Cell. Only recently I read in a UK gaming magazine that since Splinter Cell's innovative multiplayer modes, every other developer is trying to create something as diverse and innovative as Co-Op and Versus.

Its only for my love of the game that I bother with this in the first place. Rather than present a problem without a solution I think it only fair if I put my idea on the table.

When hosting a game, within the options of Map selection or wherever necessary, have a setting which allows the host to share or make maps for the client downloadable. Any players that then join the server can download directly from the host. An alternative to this would be to have certified maps directly downloadable within the game from Ubisoft themselves, however this second option requires that Ubisoft be very prompt with certifying new maps and I don't hold much hope for that.

Apologies for the length of the post but I feel this issue warrants a proper explanation. I hope one of the mod's can sticky this post for the attention of Ubisoft until this issue has been resolved. You have a great game Ubi, embrace your community rather than waiting for each new iteration of the game to implement change. If you don't support your community now they won't be buying the next installment regardless of how good it may be...

xenzoso
07-25-2005, 07:04 AM
This issue has now reached critical stage in my opinion and needs to be dealt with as soon as possible by the developers. Downloadable content from Ubisoft is great and I am all for it but it does not solve one of the fundamental problems with Splinter Cells Versus mode.

I am referring of course to the wealth of creative talent from map makers out there which is completely unplayed and unnoticed by the average Splinter Cell player. This is a kneejerk reaction on my part after seeing the awesome looking Eden map on the Map Editor Discussion forum. I would hate for more maps like this to go to waste.

Up until now I have only played 4 rounds on user made maps simply because most players who join a server have never heard of the maps or know that they are available to freely download. This may not be a problem for those players who mainly play in close knit communities with one another but for free for all hosting this is a major problem, and arguably this is where the majority of Splinter Cell gaming takes place.

I have several superb user made maps on my system, such as Oilrig and the UMP Maps, which I would love to play competitively but up until now have only had the pleasure of admiring on Visit A Map.

As it stand at the moment, anyone who creates a map for Spy Vs Merc in my opinion, knowingly creates it as dead on arrival and that is a sad state of affairs. The UnrealEd is a great tool and Epic Games value there mod community as much as the Unreal franchise itself, whereas Ubisoft and Splinter Cell treat it as an afterthought. For months now the Map Editor Forum has asked for a complete version of Splinter Cell's UnrealEd to improve the quality of maps they create and have still not received it.

Don't get me wrong if it weren't for the talented folk from Ubisoft Montreal/Shanghai I wouldn't even be posting this in the first place. No series of games has stayed on my system as long as Splinter Cell. Only recently I read in a UK gaming magazine that since Splinter Cell's innovative multiplayer modes, every other developer is trying to create something as diverse and innovative as Co-Op and Versus.

Its only for my love of the game that I bother with this in the first place. Rather than present a problem without a solution I think it only fair if I put my idea on the table.

When hosting a game, within the options of Map selection or wherever necessary, have a setting which allows the host to share or make maps for the client downloadable. Any players that then join the server can download directly from the host. An alternative to this would be to have certified maps directly downloadable within the game from Ubisoft themselves, however this second option requires that Ubisoft be very prompt with certifying new maps and I don't hold much hope for that.

Apologies for the length of the post but I feel this issue warrants a proper explanation. I hope one of the mod's can sticky this post for the attention of Ubisoft until this issue has been resolved. You have a great game Ubi, embrace your community rather than waiting for each new iteration of the game to implement change. If you don't support your community now they won't be buying the next installment regardless of how good it may be...

LuckyCharms.CK
07-25-2005, 07:19 AM
well as a longtime player of versus i can tell you to not expect much in the way of help from the MOD team of UBI. But thankfully we have some good people within the community, currently arnoldrimmer and me are working on an automatic map downloader. it wouldnt download from the host but from a global server of community approved maps. it would be like an MMO where it checks to see if any new maps have been released before launching the game. hopefully we will have it out in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

DrCactus
07-25-2005, 08:50 AM
This is the first I've heard of Lucky and arnold's attempts at making an automatic downloader and all I can say is wow. I hope they can do it. It is a task I've never heard of community members try and accomplish before. I guess because no company lets its support be so poor that community members have to make it themselves. Not only have members of the community made a temporary fix to the MT exploit, but are about to accomplish an automatic downloader for our maps. To me, this is a definite slap to the face to UBI. Hopefully, they will learn that we want this type of support and we are dedicated enough that we make it our selves.
Here's to Luckycharms, and arnoldrimmer for their efforts to spread the love of our beloved map creators.

Spekkio9
07-25-2005, 09:28 AM
While I think this is a great idea, and would save a lot of people the trouble of constantly checking the forums for maps or map updates (ala Booberry's v1.1 Schermerhorn which even a lot of forum visitors don't have), there is still one problem: the downloader will only reach those who visit the forums.

So it won't fix the problem of random joe-schmo SCCT player having these maps. However, it would make updating/fixing any bugs within maps a breeze since it will just be added to the auto-downloader which will reach everyone who has it.

The only thing that will get joe-schmo SCCT player to dl maps is to have an auto-downloader.

xenzoso
07-25-2005, 11:53 AM
Yeah I have to agree with Spekkio, as great as it is that you are making the effort to get these maps into the hands of players, the only way to be sure of every player getting them is through the game itself. Surrendering to the inevitable is allowing this issue to go unchecked. Many of our talented community have spent months creating these maps and without a little effort on the part of Ubisoft, these maps ain't gonna get played.

With Ubisoft I get the impression that if they aren't selling units then the effort aint worth putting in. I imagine the majority of the team is busy working on Splinter Cell 4 and having great fun with the next gen dev kits while one very small segment is left to support the entire Splinter Cell back catalogue.

Perhaps i'm way off base and I apologise if I am but i'm sure most people will agree that you are more likely to buy new products from a company if they provide excellent support for their exisiting products. It took almost two months for some official feedback on the status of the new SVM/Co-Op maps and the last time I checked it shouldn't take more than ten minutess to update a web page.

The last point i'd like to make is specifically about the position of Ubisoft Community Manager. As far as i'm concerned the title of that role represents to me the main link in the chain between the users and the developers. Now as much as I appreciate that the FragDolls is part of promoting Ubisoft products and also raising interest amongst female gamers, it is less time spent helping our community.

I'm certain that Rhoulette has done/is doing more than her fair share of getting our issues directly to the developers but again, where is the evidence. A simple post now and again would be appreciated and lets us know we still have a community manager.

I remember my final days with Pandora Tomorrow when the editor had been released, by that time the game was all but dead. Never did the phrase "Too Little, Too Late" ring truer...

MR.Mic
07-25-2005, 02:36 PM
i would love to see someone crack the game open and start releasing patches behind UBI's back.

Bionic-Blob
07-25-2005, 03:29 PM
and hack the auto-updater http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

scworld
07-28-2005, 09:11 AM
FYI, Rhoulette really tries to get our wishes to the Devs, but she also has other SC-related things to do, so she does visit the forums a couple of times per week, but she doesnt have time to post.
I'll PM her and point her at this thread.

STON3COLDKILLA
07-28-2005, 09:17 AM
I have PM'd her about something with is under the wraps(something I cant talk about in SC4) and she hasnt replied, last time there was a reply was in june, so more or less she isnt here anymore

xenzoso
07-28-2005, 10:02 AM
Yeah I agree scworld, I dont want to lay the blame at Rhoulettes door because that simply isn't fair or true. The dev's should be looking at this board on a daily basis and I think the moderators should be able to spot a thread like this and realise that it needs stickied.

I'm actually glad that both STON3COLDKILLA and yourself took time to post because it would have ended up being lost four pages down where there is no chance of it getting the attention it deserves.

We have users posting 36 mindless pages of sig creation skillz, people moaning about getting "pwned" and god knows what other drivel while actual genuine issues with the game get shovelled to the bottom of the pile. It's seeing things like this that make me want to shamelessly bump this post but in all honesty if people are interested I shouldn't have to do that nor do I want to.

Communicating with your customers in any business is absolutely vital and in gaming it is almost accepted that the way to do it is through forums. Right now it just feels like all the communication is one way traffic. I'm not saying that we shouldn't have the "fun" posts like the ones I mentioned earlier but lets have them in the proper place. If needs be create more forums so that the dev's who are only interested in issues/bugs/improvements with the game only have to visit one area.

In the mean time while that isn't available can the moderators who we all know are out there, please sticky this post! This is an important issue which directly affects the longevity of this game. Like i've said before, if issues like this dont get fixed, i'm not buying the "Splinter Cell 4 patch"...

redskirts
07-28-2005, 10:41 AM
here is a simple idea, why cant ubi put on the message board (the little text box in the lobby) about the maps that have been released and where to get them. They had put once the patch update and where to download it, but since then i havent seen a message put in there.

If they did put it in there then at least some extra people would know where to get the maps without ever being on this forum.

How could we get them to do this? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

DrCactus
07-28-2005, 10:45 AM
The thing about these issues is that we as a community have brought them up before. Whether it was during the beta, or a couple weeks ago, or even during PT, this is nothing new.

Saddly during that time, Ubi has not addressed any of these issues. Which is mostly why, the Showoff skillz thread and others stay at the top. We get bored of not being heard or listened to and get little to no feed back from anyone about anything of the future of CT.

Yes these issues as well as others need to be addressed, but no matter how many times we post the same thing or discuss problems with the game. Nothing really gets done.

It is nice to see Rhoulette post and say that she's doing all that she can, which is likely true. Untill I see some sort of post or statement by ubi that they are addressing certain issues, I will remain skeptical on their so called support for this game.

The good news is that they did say that Polar Base, a new multiplayer map will be out at some point. Perhaps then, or just before it they will release a patch with a better auto downloader and with fixes to most importantly getting Coop to work, and then remaining issues with Versus.

Saddly, I feel for some odd reason that because of all these issues we are still having with Versus and Coop, that they will not be included in SC4. Which would bring a tear to my eye, cause it would seem what was supposed to be new and innovative online game play would die. Not because it wasn't good, but because of poor support. That would be a shame and a sad note on the resume of UBI.

Edit: Thats an excellent Idea Rem. How to do it I dont know... perhaps PM rhoulette bout the idea so she can relay the message. It have to say something like "User made maps are available for download here: (link)" or something like that. Though i wonder what their reaction would be to finding out we made a temporary fix to MT on all maps. LOL. I just hope they dont see that and go, "well they fixed it, now we dont have to deal with it"

scworld
07-28-2005, 11:26 AM
I bet they'll even sue you for making their game better. Or they are too lazy to do that.
[/end rare critisism]

EDIT: spelling

dojomann
07-28-2005, 11:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by xenzoso:
...We have users posting 36 mindless pages of sig creation skillz... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok. So what? The point is we have all this stuff in ONE (note "ONE") thread. We take up only one thread line. You bum.

xenzoso
07-28-2005, 11:41 AM
The thing about that idea redskirts is that they can't even be bothered to update the website to account for the latest patch (UK Website - Latest Patch 1.02), so there are probably a few hundred UK players who still think the latest patch is 1.02 and that they are up to date. If things like that occur then what chance is there of them updating it with the latest news on user made maps.

As far as other issues with the game, there are a few minor things that irritate me which have been mentioned by other users plenty of times before (Autograb, Stickycam Bug, Motion Tracking NV etc.). Then there are the obvious additions to the game that would make it so much better (Map Equipment Profiles, MOTD on servers etc.).

The thing about those is that I can see past them, I can get by without those. This however is so vital to the community that it can't be ignored. If we have the ability to get user maps from a host within the game, and possibly the release of a full editor, then if Ubi did decide to scrap SvM there wouldn't be such a problem because the community could still be self sufficient.

Its fantastic that there will be a nice new map in the form of Polar Base, but once thats been played to death, were sat on the bench again waiting for Ubi to release another map.

As for your **** Dojomann, unless you've got something constructive to say then you can get back to your sig making. While you've got your head shoved up your sig amongst other things, i'm here trying to highlight a problem with the game in ONE thread! In fact if you really wanna do something useful then don't post in here again and let the adults discuss Splinter Cell, OK?

Chimera87
07-28-2005, 11:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
36 mindless pages of sig creation skillz
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

MINDLESS http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif its usefull for us as a hobby and it doesnt bother anyone...

dojomann
07-28-2005, 11:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by xenzoso:
As for your **** Dojomann, unless you've got something constructive to say then you can get back to your sig making. While you've got your head shoved up your sig amongst other things, i'm here trying to highlight a problem with the game in ONE thread! In fact if you really wanna do something useful then don't post in here again and let the adults discuss Splinter Cell, OK? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Calm down son, I was merely joking with the bum comment. jeez. I realize its a problem and it does need to be addressed, but lets all face the fact that at least until the next SC title... it probably wont be. They have made their money and thats all a business is for really. At least nowadays.

EDIT: and afaik the auto updater even for UK folk still picks up the latest 1.03 patch.

xenzoso
07-28-2005, 11:46 AM
Absolutely Chimera87, totally agree with you. My point was that this thread ended up on the second page until scworld and STON3COLDKILLA posted. If we wanna get things sorted with the game then we need constructive posts like yours in support of something like this.

If it makes you feel any better I apologise for the use of the word "mindless". I envy your skills!

xenzoso
07-28-2005, 11:50 AM
No harm done Dojomann http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I'd really appreciate if you posted in your sig thread and got people to support this thread. Then we might not have to wait for SC4 to see change...

EDIT: Yep your absolutely correct but the official web page button on the left says 1.02 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

scworld
07-28-2005, 11:56 AM
Depends on the UK-Community Managers. And mostly the webteam, which can be busy with PoP4 or something.

Jason-Alaska
07-28-2005, 12:22 PM
Just a friendly reminder to everyone. Stay on topic and keep it friendly. I hate to lock a thread that is getting out of hand because of a few peoples posts. Keep it friendly! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> (From xenzoso ) When hosting a game, within the options of Map selection or wherever necessary, have a setting which allows the host to share or make maps for the client downloadable. Any players that then join the server can download directly from the host. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

These are all good ideas but simply downloading the map from the hosts computer would kill the game for the four people already playing the game. There would need to be a way to D/L the map from another source while the server and it€s three guest computers play on with out the added lag that someone downloading would bring.

Personally I would rather see a map and explore it before I play it with other people. I would rather download a map and see if it is even worth bothering playing with other people. Some user made maps are worthy of Ubi€s recognition and should help promote the maps. After all that only promotes the longevity of the SC franchise. Those maps (Oil rig and the UMP for example) should be made readily available to SC gamers. Others (Die-turn dale for example) should not find there way on to any more computers then needed. An auto downloader would bring all the maps... Good AND bad onto your computer.

Better to have one place to go and see screen shots of the map and decide if you want to download it then. The Versus Mode Map page (http://www.splintercell.com/us/versus_mode.php) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif[/img]

Also check out [url="http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?a=frm&s=400102&f=2561076052"]The Map Editors Discussion (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/frm/ serves this purpose nicely. [img) to see what people are working on and what maps are up and coming.

xenzoso
07-28-2005, 12:48 PM
No problem here, just friendly jostling!

I think I need to just clarify my idea. I host a game, and JoeBloggs joins the game and is sat in the lobby. I switch to Oilrig for example but JoeBloggs doesn't have the map. On JoeBloggs screen a button appears which says "Download from Host". He presses the button and map starts download from my PC. For security purposes there should obviously be an option at both the Server and the Client which basically allows this to take place.

This wouldn't affect the other players because it would only happen within the game lobby and definitely not an "In Progress" game (not that it matters because since Pandora Tomorrow no-one ever joins in progress games?!? Another Bug?).

Another alternative is to have an section when logged into UBI.com which lists the certified maps and downloads them within the game. This means hosts can point them in the direction of a safe place to download the current version of the map but within the game.

The problem with that alternative is how often will Ubi update this map list. Going by their updating of the website I dont think very often and I got the impression from various forum memebers that the maps took an age to be certified too. If that alternative was trusted to the players then it wouldn't be an issue because it would be updated almost instantly.

The Joe Schmo players as Spekkio calls them are lucky to have even managed to buy the game, never mind visit the website or worse yet the forum! I dont see it as an alternative, I see it as a place for map editors to discuss their maps/the process of mapping. There needs to be a better solution than that...

redskirts
07-28-2005, 02:04 PM
Sooo, jason how bout if the message forwards a link to at least the UBI Certified maps. That way people have a choice at least and would know where to go....maybe you could pm Rhoulley or something since your a forum mod?

Really though how hard would it be to put a message in that box? Two seconds right, at least then the UMP, Squat, and Oil Rig would be widely released to even the noob (first time players) that have no clue about the forums or online maps.

IT must only take what a total of 10 seconds, less than the amount of time ive spent typing this. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

Jason-Alaska
07-28-2005, 02:36 PM
The Versus Mode Map page (http://www.splintercell.com/us/versus_mode.php) was receintly updated to include Oil Rig, Squat UMP maps and more. This is where the tested (and/or) certified maps go. Check them all out here: Versus Mode Map page (http://www.splintercell.com/us/versus_mode.php)

Spekkio9
07-28-2005, 02:57 PM
The point is that not everyone checks the forums. That's nice that us forum visitors have a nice condensed thread with all the maps. But many casual players haven't got a clue where to get them. Enter the auto-download option. As an option, you could always turn it off at your discretion.

XyZspineZyX
07-28-2005, 04:21 PM
I like this idea. I think it might work if Ubi put the certified maps in future patches. Hopefully if they do something like that, they will at least certify the UMP mapshttp://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Rhoulette
07-28-2005, 05:14 PM
<span class="ev_code_pink">As relates to the ideas presented for SC4 (referring specifically to STONECOLD's PMs) I have said before that your ideas are much appreciated. Nothing about that has changed. As for feedback from the developers, they are not yet allowed to give public feedback about what changes they can/will or cannot/will not put into motion. Everything is still under tight NDA control, so I'm afraid that direct feedback on community ideas is a tough nut to crack for right now.

But in looking at the map distribution problem in particular, I first want to point out that there are a bunch of us over here who agree that an auto-downloader could make life easier for everyone. I can't say whether or not this will be included in SC4 for sure - who knows what can happen in development between now and release - but let's just say that this topic has been hashed out plenty inside the company. It's not being ignored.

The other advice I can give you right now is to keep submitting your awesome maps! We're working on having a web tool that will allow community members to upload the maps so they don't have to host them themselves or chop them into tiny pieces just to submit them. But until then, this page (http://www.splintercell.com/us/versus_mode.php) is the place to rely on and the map submission email link is at the bottom of the page.

For the record, the dev team pays attention to what is submitted. They've even mentioned that some community members have proven themselves to be especially talented and in one case in particular they said it's too bad he lives in the US or they'd try to hire him on as a level designer. Keep up the good work. </span>

redskirts
07-28-2005, 05:18 PM
ok so from what i get from the message is that Chaos is done with improvements and they have moved onto SC4, well that about does it for me. Guess i'll just pack up and wait till SC4! And then complain about the same problems?

Jeez, all i thought they need is a temp fix for this issue that would take two seconds, just put a message in the lobby that gives the link to the UBI Approved maps.

Man, this really bums me out....well i was impressed with the Chaos SvM improvements over PT so i guess ill be impressed with the SC4 ones.......I guess http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

xenzoso
07-28-2005, 06:06 PM
My sentiments exactly redskirts...

Unless it's another 30 in Ubisoft's pocket, you aint getting it. Another Nail in the Coffin for this franchise!

Rhoulette
07-28-2005, 08:18 PM
<span class="ev_code_pink">I didn't say they wouldn't do this for SC3, though for fixes we've gotten the impression that other issues are higher priority. As always I can assure you that your sentiments have been communicated. And since the dev team does have genuine interest in facilitating community map making, maybe they'll bump this up on the list.

You guys tell me. Do you think getting an auto-download function is more important than glitch or connection fixes that you all have reported previously? </span>

James_Westfall
07-28-2005, 09:04 PM
another idea...they have an updater set-up for the co-op...hence the ways we get the patches...why not have it where u can click the updater and get the certified/new ubi maps?...and, like some programs do, maybe have it load on its own when the game is opened....steam (which hold CS, CSS, CZ) updates as soon as its opened if you've missed anything...its a good way to stay updated and not have to boot some1 b/c they dont have the maps we do...

Spekkio9
07-28-2005, 10:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rhoulette:
<span class="ev_code_pink">I didn't say they wouldn't do this for SC3, though for fixes we've gotten the impression that other issues are higher priority. As always I can assure you that your sentiments have been communicated. And since the dev team does have genuine interest in facilitating community map making, maybe they'll bump this up on the list.

You guys tell me. Do you think getting an auto-download function is more important than glitch or connection fixes that you all have reported previously? </span> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If Ubi can't release a complete patch that addresses the majority of issues and actually fixes them, then don't bother. They might as well just put the effort into making SC4 that much better. We've had two half-assed patches for coop that fixed hardly anything, and one patch for SvM that fixed two issues out of Daybreak's non-exhaustive list. All it does is piss people off when they wait for a patch for a few months and it fixes like .02% of the problems in the game while creating 3 new ones.

redskirts
07-28-2005, 10:52 PM
personally i vote for fixes and glitches....gameplay first, maps second. Plus so far the best maps are on my friends lists. A simple message would do for the time being. Auto installer for next series sounds good to me.

ImportedSpy.CF
07-28-2005, 10:54 PM
<span class="ev_code_RED">Maps are important.. like with no maps there would be no fixes and glitches to have</span>

Defcon_5
07-29-2005, 12:50 AM
Iam very amused to see the two posts from Rhoulette this month. Lets wait for August, then there will be two other posts http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Rhoulette be hornest, if only 1 person would seriously be supoorting manager, the situation would be much better than now.

Just take 1 person, which just do the following:

Open all maps in Unrealed, and do exatcly what Boo found out with the MT Fix
Ok, lets say this 1 person is a bit lazy, then boo will do this for him. Then this 1 person do nothing more than add this to the autoupdate function. 1-2 days of work.

The next thing the 1 person can do.
He just email with the guys from UMP, and cause hes lazy, they send the maps to that 1 person. He adds all those maps to the auto Uptate Function. 1-2 day of work.

The next thing the 1 person can do.
He gets 3 of his friends (holy shi* he needs 3 other guys) and plays the custom maps. If they all are content with the maps, they will upload it on the versus page and write certified. ok 2-4 weeks of work.

You see what this 1 person can do if he really wants ( or get paid for )? He can even be lazy (but not in comunicating with the community) and the players whould be much more satisfied.
Wow Iam impressed...

I have another great idea, if you, devs, already do nothing for this game, to at least give one person (Spekkio or Mr. Mic) the autoupdate permission.

Then you can work on Sc4 patch as long as you like. Or go an vacations, or just do nothing.

Cheers

And if you tell me now that 1 person cant to that alone, or if you tell me that they are working on patches, but they cant tell us, or they have no money to pay this 1 person, then sorry but screw you.

MR.Mic
07-29-2005, 02:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have another great idea, if you, devs, already do nothing for this game, to at least give one person (Spekkio or Mr. Mic) the autoupdate permission. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Autoupdate permission = own.
W00t, w00t.
Lets see now,
First of all, gotta upgrade to version 1.337
Tee-hee-hee

Defcon_5
07-29-2005, 02:25 AM
Correction: Dont give it to Mr. Mic :P

scworld
07-29-2005, 02:54 AM
Def, nice thingy but you left out the business-side of the job. You only mentioned the Community-side. What about meetings, talk with Devs, talk with bosses, general PR-talk etc, talk with other representatives in other countries, answering mail from other representatives and ... and ... and ... . Stop badmouthing Rhoulette in an indirect way and try to think beyond the community-side.

Defcon_5
07-29-2005, 03:03 AM
Sorry if iam offense to Rhoulette, but in my opinion a player (like Spekkio, MrMic or even you) would be a better community manager.

scworld
07-29-2005, 03:05 AM
But she is employed by Ubisoft and sits in an office there http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
About the Map distribution, please refer to the All-in-One Map Pack made by Mr.Mic.

xenzoso
07-29-2005, 04:49 AM
Sorry for my negative post before, but I didn't get any good vibes for SC3 from your response Rhoulette. If indeed there is still hope for SC3 then I am all for it, I just got the impression that if these things are "ideas" for SC4 then there aint much chance of SC3 getting them.

I think any form of "offical" way of getting approved/certified maps into the hands of the average player has to be a good thing. Not everyone is comfortable with Winzip/Winrar etc. and even when they are some map makers dont even get the files/installers right. At this point I would settle for user maps being part of *cough* regualar *cough* patches or updates.

Reading this post a few times has actually made me realise that beyond the importance of this need for map distribution for everyone, another important issue is communication between the players and the developers. At the moment other than the new Co-Op/SvM maps and SC4, I have no idea what the developers are doing. Are they furiously trying to fix Co-Op connection problems, or adding in some form of autograb toggle for SvM etc.?

There is a Bugs/Fixes post but how up to date is this and where are the direct responses to each issue. I think a good idea may be to arrange some kind of weekly/fortnightly/monthly/whatever meeting between the community and the developers, either using IRC or via forum thread. During this we can find out the current state of affairs for patches, maps, bugs, fixes etc and some kind of timeline to expect them.

This info can then be made available to those who do not want to participate but do want the headlines from the developers. None of us can expect Rhoulette to have all the answers, especially when she most likely doesn't have them herself. All I'd like is some confirmation that A) yes i've read your post B) yes i've passed this onto the dev's. I wouldn't expect much more than that. Basically it's always nice to know someone is listening Rhoulette and more of the same please! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

scworld
07-29-2005, 04:59 AM
That's what she currently does http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif
About Maps with patches: what if the players only want the patch and dont want to download 90MB for user-made maps...

Ubi does more for CT than for PT, so I expect that it'll continue to improve as it is a winning-horse. Although the real support in the form of patches can look a bit scarce, it's most likely because of the small community, but this is also a vicious circle.

XyZspineZyX
07-29-2005, 05:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LuckyCharms.CK:
well as a longtime player of versus i can tell you to not expect much in the way of help from the MOD team of UBI. But thankfully we have some good people within the community, currently arnoldrimmer and me are working on an automatic map downloader. it wouldnt download from the host but from a global server of community approved maps. it would be like an MMO where it checks to see if any new maps have been released before launching the game. hopefully we will have it out in the next 2 or 3 weeks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lucky, we mods can not make decisions at UBI. We can only point things out to the CM's. They in turn can go to the devs. These people are more than likley working on new projects, with clean up crews doing what they do on CT.
I have yet to see any of these maps cus I don't play on PC. But I will check them out once I load my PC version of CT. I wish there was more we could do for you very talented people. Word of advice - find and join other forums and spread the word that way.
Some people created a web site for the very talented people in Rainbow's RavinShield and there are hundreds of maps - that place is still active. Maybe with some planning that could happen here.

LuckyCharms.CK
07-29-2005, 07:26 AM
i appologize i said MODs not DEVs that was an error on my part i reconize that you guys have no power/control :-) *cough* cream_of_krom *cough* the base issue here is not the number of maps or a central location for maps, its the fact that getting a game going on a custom map is nigh impossible. the normal ct player does not want to go out hunting for maps every day and browse the forums religously like some of the dedicated members here. if they only had to get a single installer once and then forget about it i think that would fix quite a few problems. If it was up to me personally i would erase all of the old maps replace them with MT fixes and custom maps. This would force the newbies to at least ATTEMPT to visit the forums and keep up to date. Heck why we are at it why not just remove dm?:-D neway its not up to me, i cant map.

DrCactus
07-29-2005, 07:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rhoulette:

You guys tell me. Do you think getting an auto-download function is more important than glitch or connection fixes that you all have reported previously? </span> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would preffer that the glitch and connection fixes be fixed first then worry about the auto-download function. Atleast then, perhaps most will be able to play coop and we wont have the random disconnects/glitches that we suffer in Versus. However, I wouldn't mind knowing more about what the future plans are with CT. I dont see why it would be nescesary to keep that information a secret.

A thing to do perhaps about this map distribution is to follow up on that suggestion of a map making contest. Rumor was around that Europe had a contest, or something but im not sure what the deal was. With the map making contest atleast then you could get the community trying to make "wicked awesome" quality maps, and then once the contest is over deliver somesort of auto downloader for the top 5 maps or whatever. The least you could do, as suggested by redskirts is to post in the same area you post in game lobby about server shut downs and maintenance and have a link to where you can download the maps. I mean, thats just text to type and could be done in minutes.

These are just ideas, but as I said before, I'd like to know what the future plans are with CT. All we currently know is that there's a new Versus map on the way, also there are coop maps. But since most cant play coop...it's like it's a lost cause.
Show us some light and we'll show you a fan base like no other.

XyZspineZyX
07-29-2005, 01:16 PM
Very well put DrCactus. Even though the PC version in not my best (xbox person) I too would like to see an auto download system. I will check out some of these maps I keep hearing about. Can't do much but maybe sometime in the future who knows. Just keep those maps rolling. There could be a future in it for some of the talented people I hear about.

Spekkio9
07-29-2005, 03:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DrCactus:
The least you could do, as suggested by redskirts is to post in the same area you post in game lobby about server shut downs and maintenance and have a link to where you can download the maps. I mean, thats just text to type and could be done in minutes.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

People don't even read the name of the server they're entering. Why would they bother to read the little message at the bottom left?

scworld
07-31-2005, 03:44 PM
Bump for a great thread.

xenzoso
07-31-2005, 04:24 PM
Thanks for keeping this post alive scworld. I guess a bit of shameless bumping now and again isn't a bad thing when its something to make the community better.

Thanks go out to Mr. Mic too for packing up all the maps into an single package. Made it alot easier when I reinstalled the game today!

Bionic-Blob
07-31-2005, 04:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spekkio9:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DrCactus:
The least you could do, as suggested by redskirts is to post in the same area you post in game lobby about server shut downs and maintenance and have a link to where you can download the maps. I mean, thats just text to type and could be done in minutes.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

People don't even read the name of the server they're entering. Why would they bother to read the little message at the bottom left? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

make it flash http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

SITHDUKE
07-31-2005, 04:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bionic-Blob:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spekkio9:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

People don't even read the name of the server they're entering. Why would they bother to read the little message at the bottom left? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

make it flash http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FOR GOD SAKE NOT ANOTHER FLASHY !!!!