PDA

View Full Version : So What Do We Do? - A Rant

sinceberf
12-27-2007, 10:30 AM
I just got this game as a present. I logged on here this morning to read up on the game and get some insight and back-story. I'm very excited about this game, as a game in itself, and as a Ubisoft release.

But what do I find when I log on to this forum? Reports of rampant bugs, glitches, freezes, shut-downs, etc. And suddenly I'm not as excited about this game. Just knowing all of these problems people are having puts a sour taste in my mouth and I haven't even experienced any of the problems yet. How absorbing and immersing is a story and game with these kinds of interruptions?

Seriously, look at the pages of thread titles in these forums and tell me it doesn't put a damper on your excitement about this game. And what do we do about it? In effect, we do nothing.

As consumers our standards have become too low. How about releasing a game when it is finished, as in polished and ready to play? You know, a final product. That should be our demand as consumers. But no... we drop $60 for unfinished product and then set the bar at demanding that patch updates be released pronto. Why are we settling for that? We threaten to not buy Ubisoft products anymore if they can't get this straight. They do some fixes that should have been handled before the game released and call that ˜customer service'. Oddly enough, we thank them profusely for providing the updates that make our games playable, as if they've just done us some favor. Truth be told though it was some actuaries who came to the conclusion that it would be more cost effective to create and distribute these updates than to not do it. Don't fool yourself into thinking that there was some kind of virtue or pride involved. If there were any of that this game wouldn't have been released when it was.

If you pay any attention to your time and money you know that this is but a microcosm of a larger trend. No longer is an exchange a simple trade of money for goods. In addition to your money, today you also need to be ready and willing to return/replace defective product, engage in lengthy correspondence with unknowledgeable and indifferent customer service- and that's only if you're fortunate enough to have them return your phone calls or eMails at all. You can expect to hassle and nag to finally get what should have been yours when you made the purchase. And if you're not working two or three jobs to keep your home out of foreclosure you might have the time to do that.

Is this how you want it?

In GameInformer news, dated 12/13/07, "Yves Guillemot, chief executive officer of Ubisoft stated, "With the exceptional performance of Assassin's Creed, the fastest-selling new video game intellectual property in the U.S. ever, Ubisoft's teams have once again demonstrated their expertise in creating and promoting major brands. These regular-sequel franchises are a source of very high profitability both in the short and long term. Drawing on its strong internal development capacities, Ubisoft is currently in an ideal position to continue to develop numerous new creations – an essential condition for winning market share and ensuring strong growth going forward."

The exceptional performance he's talking about, of course, is not that of the game, but of the sales of the game. And what demonstrates their expertise is how fast the game is selling. And their expertise is in creating and promoting; no mention of ˜delivering' is made. So, Ubisoft, good luck with your desires to win market share. I don't own any Ubisoft stock. Unfortunately, I only own the games.

the_assassin_07
12-27-2007, 10:44 AM
Newsflash: nothing has happened since I purchased AC... MUHAHA! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

moqqy
12-27-2007, 10:51 AM
Bu.. But you haven't played the game?:S And yet you are ranting. You have not experienced any of that..?

the_assassin_07
12-27-2007, 10:55 AM
Haha yeah he just read through the forum and is now complaining about it in an oversized argument which I can't be bothered to read when he hasn't even started playing it. Aye carumba...

BTOG46
12-27-2007, 11:12 AM
Lord, yet another post from yet another self appointed game marketing and developing expert. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
This one makes a thread before he even plays the game, you gotta love his objectivty......... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

the_assassin_07
12-27-2007, 11:14 AM
No I don't actually, I rather dislike it.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Paladin_1962
12-27-2007, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by sinceberf:
I just got this game as a present..... Unfortunately, I only own the games.

I actually read this 'rant' before replying.

And, what a rant it is. How foolish can you be to type this, without actually playing the game!?

This game, like any other - is software. And, software inevitably has flaws (bugs) that are discovered post-release. When such bugs are found it is incumbent on the developers to release patches/fixes to rectify the issue. This is the same for an operating system, such as Windows, or anything else that is 'software'.

Any reasonably intelligent person would have refrained from such a post, until after they had actually played the game for a considerable time.

You're less thrilled with the prospect of playing the game due to any negative post you may have read?

Save yourself, and everyone else the hassle then and simply return it!

the_assassin_07
12-27-2007, 11:24 AM
I did actually read it... But it sounded cool at the time to say I didn't read it so he would feel un-looked at and commit suicide in a foolish manner (eating chickens claws until he blows chunks and dies).

But then again I have a twisted mind.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

Xthe_assassinX
12-27-2007, 12:43 PM
Ouch. Seems to me like someone tries to act like a smarty pants on the computer to make himself feel better about how dumb he is. Listen up, play the game, if you don't like it, then you can rant. So what if people complain about problems? They get fixed right? New stuff has problems, your mom didn't whine and complain when you were born when you pissed on the carpet.. like DANG IT GOD, why release this kid early when it has glitches... why cant you just wait until its perfect, then give it to me, after visiting a forum on child birth and seeing a post about a collapsed lung.

sinceberf
12-28-2007, 09:00 AM
Well hey, thanks for the welcome. Fine, that was a fairly audacious first post. That I hadn't even really played the game yet and was already let down by it is precisely my point though.

I came here expressly to become more excited and absorbed by the game but the problems that people are having are disheartening and it makes me feel like I should be more cautious of future titles before purchasing. This is my emotional response to my experience so far. So when advertisements and promotions persuade my emotions one way, but my experience has been something else, I'm less trusting of the promotion in the future.

Honestly, how are you going to chide me for my comments when there is page after page of problems and dissatisfaction on these boards? How my particular copy of the game plays isn't my only criteria for satisfaction here, and it shouldn't be yours either.

I'm all for making money and I'm all for having deadlines, but the pendulum is too heavily weighted toward making sales right now and if no one says anything about it then it becomes the norm. Is there anyone here who can say that the writers of these games wouldn't like more time to polish their creation? More time to discover coding issues and fix them- before the public gets their hands on it? I get that the sooner the release the sooner money starts coming in and that it is necessary to have compromise between getting the game into stores and making it perfect. I'm not asking for perfection, but I am asking for a higher standard than what I'm seeing today. And again, this is but one example of a much larger trend.

I did play the game for hours last night. I had numerous frame rate issues, it froze on me once forcing me to shutdown and reboot, and I got a dirty disc read once and had to reboot. What is the game's fault and what is the console's fault, I don't know, but again, this is part of my larger point.

That said, I've never played a game that looked so good. Walking into (I think is was) Jerusalem for the first time and seeing the city laid out before me was breathtaking. Jumping from the high points gives my stomach the slight sensation that I'm on the double-ferris wheel at the state fair. It's thrilling!

It takes me longer than most to 'get good' at a game and become comfortable with the control scheme, so I was expecting to put in extra time with this game because of its uniqueness. For me though, I have never picked up on a game's controls faster than this game. It felt completely natural to me from the very beginning.

The game is phenomenal. It's delivery is not. I have to go find some chicken claws now.

spazzoo1025
12-28-2007, 09:08 AM
you paid

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/128292630392933750howmuch.jpg

umm...go find Ubisoft and burn them down or something. no game is perfect, there will always be issues, but the important thing is that if a company does mess up, they do release patches to fix these things. So just suck it up, and if you really care that much, return it

ronmossad
12-28-2007, 09:10 AM
I just finished the game on Tuesday after playing for a month and a half. I never had it freeze or glitch or anything.

sinceberf
12-28-2007, 10:11 AM
It's easy enough to just drop out and not participate. The problem with that though is that I really want to participate. In this particular example, Ubisoft has released some of my favorite games. I like them enough to not want to go without them.

So what I'd rather do is express my opinion and hope that it gathers a fan base to a point where change begins to occur. Isn't that how anything gets done in this world? I don't accept the current state so I try to raise awareness about what I think the truth is. You can take it or leave it or modify it to fit your own perspective. Does nothing I've said in this thread have a shred of truth to it?

AldirTheKnight
12-28-2007, 10:17 AM
mah head hurts, I didn't read any post except teh one with teh cat

DreamerM
12-28-2007, 10:57 AM
dear ranty guy:

I think some of your problem might be with this board. People post over and over again about the problems they have, but posts like "Weee this game is great!" somehow get either flamed or just overlooked to languish forgotten somewhere on page 7>.

On the issue of glitches and framerate problems: they are largely exclusive to the PS3 version of the game. I've been playing my 360 version for almost three days straight by now and it only froze up once, unfreeze on it's own and let the game go forwards with no further problems.

Bet you haven't heard THAT on this board before. Why? Because there was no griping involved. It involves the game working as it should, which is dull both to write and to read. Face it, complaining is much more fun.

Ubi released a downloadible patch for the PS3 version that was supposed to fix the glitches. It didn't work. Why, I don't know, maybe all of the game's actual designers were on vacation and the programmers they got to fill in had only the veaugest idea of what the problems were let alone how to fix them. Maybe it has to do with the functionality of the 360 being much closer to the PC's the game was designed on then the PS3. No way to tell.

Anyway, someday they'll release a patch that DOES work. Hopefully then, this board move on and start talking about how great this game is, because it is great or else we wouldn't be here on this board to talk about it.

Yeah. Right.

Don't let it get to you.

Paladin_1962
12-28-2007, 11:11 AM
It's easy enough to just drop out and not participate. The problem with that though is that I really want to participate. In this particular example, Ubisoft has released some of my favorite games. I like them enough to not want to go without them.

So what I'd rather do is express my opinion and hope that it gathers a fan base to a point where change begins to occur. Isn't that how anything gets done in this world? I don't accept the current state so I try to raise awareness about what I think the truth is. You can take it or leave it or modify it to fit your own perspective. Does nothing I've said in this thread have a shred of truth to it?

Your points are valid, but only now that you've played the game. :-)

That was my particular gripe with your initial post.

Personally, I don't give a rat's arse about anyone's comments when they haven't experienced the game 1st-hand.

That being said - your points about releasing a game before all bugs are worked out, just to get it in the stores (not quoting you, but words to that effect) are only 'somewhat' valid, as every single organization does it. It's not 'right', and it's mostly about the 'money', but, that's the way the business works.

For me, I play on Xbox 360, and have never had a single issue with frame-rate dropping, or anything else for that matter.

Should you continue to post, bringing up whatever issues or concerns you have?

Yes.

jcody
12-28-2007, 11:43 AM
The game froze on me one time, during my second round through the game.

I'd say that's pretty normal with games today anyways.

Just play it before you *****. You're seeing alot of complaints because there are THOUSANDS of people who own this game. Do you honestly think ANYONE is going to log on to a forum to say

"Hey guys, i played assassin's creed and it didn't freeze on me, kthxbye"

No, but people are going to complain that they have had problems (which is of course OK) which is why virtually all you'll see are complaints.

Now, play the damn game. IF it freezes on you more than once with the other .05% of game owners, post a thread about it or reply to one. But don't come rant about the game freezing before you EVEN PLAYED IT.

sinceberf
12-28-2007, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by DreamerM:
Anyway, someday they'll release a patch that DOES work. Hopefully then, this board move on and start talking about how great this game is, because it is great...

It is certainly a great game- or it has the potential to be. But a great game, at minimum, would work when you try to play it. Consumers shouldn't be waiting days or weeks for patches before they can be happy about their purchase. That indicates product that wasn't quite ready to be sold.

On a lighter note, I'm sure you're right that some of my problem might be with this board. Reading all of the negativity did entice me to write my initial post.

Originally posted by Paladin_1962:
...as every single organization does it. It's not 'right', and it's mostly about the 'money', but, that's the way the business works.

True and I don't limit my sentiments in this thread to just AC, Ubisoft, or even the entire gaming industry. It's not the way that business has to work and that's why I'm being 'vocal' against it and raising concerns about it.

If you all pay $60 for a game, only to bring it home and have it do the things that people are complaining about here, then chalk it up to 'well, that's just how business is done nowadays', you're settling for mediocrity. Paladin, we should be hard on that, right?

Anyway, cool, I'm glad this thread calmed down a bit. Thanks for the replies.

sinceberf
12-28-2007, 02:11 PM
Sorry, one more thing. All is not doom and gloom. Ubisoft is allowing me, and all of us, to voice my opinions on their dime on these forums.

Though I have freedom of speech, I don't have freedom of platform. So if they pulled this thread my voice would be softened. So, Ubisoft, thank you for allowing me to vent on your forum. I mean that.

BTOG46
12-28-2007, 02:18 PM
You can post what you wish, so long as you do so in a manner that follows the forum's TOU, I just wish everyone realised that.

spazzoo1025
12-28-2007, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by BTOG46:
You can post what you wish, so long as you do so in a manner that follows the forum's TOU, I just wish everyone realised that.

u tell em, BT!

Paladin_1962
12-28-2007, 02:39 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paladin_1962:
...as every single organization does it. It's not 'right', and it's mostly about the 'money', but, that's the way the business works.

True and I don't limit my sentiments in this thread to just AC, Ubisoft, or even the entire gaming industry. It's not the way that business has to work and that's why I'm being 'vocal' against it and raising concerns about it.

If you all pay $60 for a game, only to bring it home and have it do the things that people are complaining about here, then chalk it up to 'well, that's just how business is done nowadays', you're settling for mediocrity. Paladin, we should be hard on that, right?

... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, you are absolutely right to post any concerns you have, especially when forking out $60 plus.

If we don't raise our voices (via written word) then genuine concerns/complaints/criticisms might not be heard and addressed.

Such feedback should be taken to heart by game developers so that they add such feed-back to their game creation life-cycle of design/implementation/delivery/bug fixes, etc., all with the intent to produce better product.