PDA

View Full Version : The "Unofficial" Official SHIII UBoat Kaptain's COOKBOOK

KRlSTOFF
07-20-2005, 07:22 PM
I have gathered all the recipes I could find that were posted and have placed them here...The Official cookbook of Stinkhammer and fellow kaluens...
Now...we not only have a place for our fellow kaluens to post thier recipe (I'm still hoping someone has found some old recipes on U-boats as well), but maybe we can NOW let those two threads (pc programmers and ubi patches) DIE and REST IN PEACE!!!!

I've changed the name of the discussion to protect the innocent. All recipes are the sole property of the person that posted them and are to be used at your own risk. They will not be sold in any form and are protected. Eat hearty maties. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif GT182

KRlSTOFF
07-20-2005, 07:23 PM
Stink's 6 Tiger Prawns, split and deveined.

Once this has been done, slice a wedge of pepperjack cheese and fit into the wedge of the split tiger prawns (very large shrimp), then wrap a small piece of raw bacon around it holding it in place and secure it all with a toothpick.
Place a frying pan on medium heat and add some olive oil, butter and garlic pieces to the pan and allow the butter to melt, once melted add the shrimp to the pan and cook on both sides to allow the bacon to cook fully, remove from heat and enjoy, be ready to **** your pants, this is one bad arshhhhh recipe for an appetizer, one in which you could make an easy meal out of.

KRlSTOFF
07-20-2005, 07:24 PM
Stink's Shrimp Linguini in Wine Sauce:

*This part is optional but much better if you do it like this.
On high heat, in a frying pan, break the linguini noodles to fit in the pan, lightly coat the pan in olive oil, just barely for a sheen and slap the noodles in there and scorch them for a few seconds but dont let them absorb too much of the oil, just make them browned or blackened then pull them out and set aside on a plate. Or you can boil them until they are halfway done then remove from the water.
On a cookie sheet place small bay scallops and put a small dollop of butter on each one with a pinch of garlic salt and a drop or two of lemon juice, bake until done then set aside.

Do the same with some peeled and deveined shrimp.

Dice up 2 small roma tomatos and about 8 baby portabella mushrooms and set aside, these you add at the last minute.

In a large pot, pour in 1 cup of olive oil, and 2 cups of white wine and wisk until mostly blended. Over medium to slightly medium high heat, render the mix down almost half way, when the sauce is to that point, add the scorched linguini noodles and cook until they are done. Just as they are done youll notice the sauce has rendered down quite a bit, because the noodles absorbed the sauce thus adding more flavor. Now add the baked scallops and shrimp and blend well in the noodles and cook for another few minutes to allow the flavors to all soak into eachother. After a few minutes remove from heat and fold in the tomatos and mushrooms and serve. Once you taste this, youll try to eat all of it in one sitting, I make that mistake every time and find myself on the couch waking up several hours later. Take the time and make this, its easy but takes a little time but well worth it when its done. Enjoy.

KRlSTOFF
07-20-2005, 07:24 PM
Stink's Steak
Place the steak in a glass baking dish, add one cup of olive oil and two cups of red wine, about 5 shakes of a worchestershire bottle over top and one tablespoon of liquid smoke. Powder with coarse black pepper, white pepper, dry mustard, garlic salt and a pinch of dried chives. Then about 3 spoonfuls of chopped garlic over top and in the sauce itself. Cover and put in the fridge for 2 days, turning over twice per day. After the second day fire up the charcoal (always charcoal) and when the grill is nice and hot, slap that sucker on it and listen to the sizzle, turn the steak after 3 minutes then cook the other side for 5. Perfect medium rare. Add a crisp sam adams (best american beer) or if you prefer like I do, a greatly chilled Paulaner Original or a Salvator also made by Paulaner, and enjoy.
I have recipes for sauteed onions and or mushrooms as well if youd like, and a bearnaise to accompany it all. I make a mean baked potato also and can put on the side some blue cheese butter spread.

KRlSTOFF
07-20-2005, 07:25 PM
AStotzer's Steak
Ok, I got this from the 'Good Eats' show on the Food Network. It's more of a 'way' to cook your steak, than a receipe.

Marinate your steak however you want to.

1 boneless rib eye steak, 1 1/2-inch thick
Canola oil to coat
Kosher salt and ground black pepper

Place 10 to 12-inch cast iron skillet in oven and heat oven to 500 degrees. Bring steak(s) to room temperature.

When oven reaches temperature, remove pan and place on range over high heat. Coat steak lightly with oil and season both sides with a generous pinch of salt. Grind on black pepper to taste.

Immediately place steak in the middle of hot, dry pan. Cook 30 seconds without moving. (pan will smoke, turn on fan) Turn with tongs and cook another 30 seconds, then put the pan straight into the oven for 2 minutes. Flip steak and cook for another 2 minutes. (This time is for medium rare steaks. If you prefer medium, add a minute to both of the oven turns.)

Remove steak from pan, cover loosely with foil, and rest for 2 minutes. Serve whole or slice thin and fan onto plate.

KRlSTOFF
07-20-2005, 07:26 PM
Stink's Properly sautee'd onions:
Vidalia onion cut into rings or you can use a yellow or a spanish onion. In a large frying pan use half a stick of butter, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/2 cup of white wine (not fruit flavored wine, try Beringer brand, a few shakes of pepper, a pinch of salt, two shakes of worchestershire sauce, 1/4 cup of brown sugar (trust me). Render the butter other liquids to a sauce with the onion in the pan, after the onions are soft, turn the heat up a few notches until some of the sauce on the sides of the pan slightly blackens or burns but the onions dont. Remove and place on or next to you steak. Reduce heat and add paprika and a pinch of basil and a pinch of garlic salt, and a tablespoon of chopped garlic, then add a handful or so of baby portabella mushrooms and cook until browned and appears to have a skin or a glaze over them, the sauce will reduce quickly so check them every couple of minutes, remove when the glaze appears or the sauce has reduced to almost nothing, add to the same plate as steak and the onions.

KRlSTOFF
07-20-2005, 07:26 PM
The_Third_Half's "Kaluen In A Window"

1 Slice of toast
1 egg
1 TSB of butter

Cut a hole in the middle of the Toast, add butter to pre-heated skillet.
Lay toast flat in skillet
Crack egg, and pour into the hole of the toast
Cook egg to desired firmness

Excellent for Crew members 5 and under , mine love it

KRlSTOFF
07-20-2005, 07:27 PM
STink's Cookout Special:

Oh I got an easy one that will hook you up for about 2 days.

1 lb of ground beef browned and drained.
1 lb of jimmy dean regular sausage browned and drained.
1 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce (no mushrooms in the sauce what ever you do)
1 lb of velveeta cheese.

Once both meats are browned and drained, toss in a medium sized pot, add the sauce then the velveeta cubed or sliced up and put over medium heat and put a lid on the pot. (can do this with a crock pot as well) When the sauce starts to bubble, stir the now melting cheese and continue until all of the cheese has melted and its all blended together. Ladel some in a bowl and eat it with a spoon or some tostito's tortilla chips. You will find its just as good cold in the pot the next morning on your way to work. One bowl will keep you filled for most of the day but you will find yourself going to the kitchen to sneak a spoonful often.

Just remember the recipe requires ONE of everything, one pound of each and one jar of sauce, heat and eat. Besides my baked beans I make, this is the most requested dish-snack I get when I have a party or a cook out, when you try it, youll see why.

KRlSTOFF
07-20-2005, 07:27 PM
GT 182's Porkchops:

2 thickcut porkchops for grilling. About an inch is good.
1/4 cup or as much as you want of chopped cashews, not too fine
Teryaki sauce to cover both sides of chops
good horseradish, as much as you want

Cut a slit in the side of the chops so you have a pocket. Brush Teryali sauce over both sides and a bit in the pockets you made. Let sit for an hour. Next coat both sides of chops with chopped cashews and stuff the pockets too with chopped cashews. Place on foil on the grill over medium/high heat (I use a gas grill but charcoal is good too). Add a dab of horseradish to top side plus a bit of the juice. Cook for 7 to 9 minutes and turn. Do the same again with the horseradish and finish cooking. Should take about another 7 minutes, or cook until temp reaches 165 to 170 degrees F. Cooking time will depend on thickness of your porkchops so use thicker ones if you wish.

KRlSTOFF
07-20-2005, 07:28 PM
Stink's Spicey Beans:

Can of any baked beans as long as they arent Bush's brand, then drain the beans. Toss in a pot with a teaspoon cajun pepper, teaspoon crushed red pepper, two tablespoons of tabascos GARLIC pepper sauce. While all of this has been stirred into the beans and the beans are set on medium. Slice up 3-4 cheese hotdogs then toss those in also. When the hotdogs are cooked then its done, the cheese melts out of the dogs and aids in creating its own sauce making the beans thick. This dish will be a tad on the warm side but you can tone it down for kids.

KRlSTOFF
07-20-2005, 07:28 PM
Stink's Chicken and Catfish tips:

Well with catfish most like it breaded so its all about the breading, spice it up with pepper and garlic, some dill weed and paprika in the breading before you coat the fish. Also for a very mean sauce just for catfish, try adding a bit of horseradish to your tartar sauce, on catfish that goes really nice.

Chicken, the best thing I think is so simple, get a bottle or 30 or Lawrys honey dijon marinade and put the chicken in a bowl and cover it with the stuff for like 2 days, then when you are ready to cook it, cut up some foil for each piece of chicken then wrap them up individually and bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes. This is my favorite way to make chicken, nothing spectacular in making but taste wise, its frikkin awesome. I got others for baked chicken breast or for a roast in the crockpot if you like chicken that way.

KRlSTOFF
07-20-2005, 07:29 PM
Stink's Chicken Special:
Set up your chicken in a roasting pan that has a lid. Put the little plastic timer thing in the deepest part. Add about a cup of water to make the base wet, like a small puddle persay. Then drizzle some olive oil over the chicken and rub it on so its coated on top and the sides and put some around the chicken in the pan with the water, about a total of 3/4 of a cup. Then add about 2 cups of white wine, not the stuff you get at gas stations either, something like Beringer or Columbia Crest white wine is what I use for cooking. Add that over top of the chicken and put some inside the chicken too or you can spoon the water, oil and wine together inside, what ever youd prefer. Then add a rub. See following list***

RUB
Garlic salt
Garlic powder
Paprika,
Black pepper
And just a touch of season salt
Mix together with your finger in a small bowl and when blended sprinkle a little at a time over the top side of the chicken including the legs and wings, just the top sides not under them. And rub it in, repeat till the rub is gone or its coated decently.(this will aid in the browning effect for a crisp skin)

If you want, add some baby white potatos and some small or sliced spanish, vidalia or yellow onions and any other vegetables you may like cooked around it.

Follow the heating instructions for temperature and length of time according to the package because I cant just give you a set degree or time to cook it at since not all chickens weigh the same and I could give you a setting for disaster.

Place the lid on and put it in the oven and watch the time. Baste the chicken at least once if not twice during the course of cooking, divide the time in thirds to baste it twice or in half to baste it once. Ten minutes before the cooking time is done, take the lid off of the pan and switch the setting to broil and turn it up to 500 degrees, the top burner will light up and brown the top.

Alternate method for roasting is some people will do everything I said basically but not use white wine, you literally take a can of beer, open it and shove it in the hole of the chicken. When the chicken and beer heats it it will expand and slowly come out of the can and into the chicken, this is one way to ensure the meat falls off the bone, just remember to take the empty beer can out before you start eating.

Near end of cooking also you can attach sausage links like breakfast sausage to the top of the chicken with toothpicks and the sausage juice will baste the chicken that way also. Hope this is up your alley, good eating!!

Yen Lo
07-20-2005, 07:33 PM
gj bud Iam proud of you!

stinkhammer6
07-20-2005, 07:59 PM
WOW that was fast, I just said in the other thread to make a new post if you want that I would recognize and here it is, seconds later lol. Ok Im taking on requests, Yen is satisfied at the moment, anyone else needing some good grub? Kris Ill work on the u boat recipes, I got a source of inside info on various things and he might be able to help us out on that one.

Maj_Solo
07-20-2005, 09:58 PM
OK, this is very brave of me, some of my favourite dishes I don't server cause I couldn't take the pain if someone says it tastes like **** but anyways, here I go:

serveral years of spaghetti meatsauce research has resulted in this recepie inspired by italian, english, and swedish ways of doing it.... you don't need to measure anything you just shoot from the hip:

Set the pan on quite low, don't fry the ingreedients.

The end balance is 1/3 onion, 1/3 carrot, and 1/3 grinded meat.

So you begin with sending in the onion and the carrot and as much garlic as you want, garlic has to go in now so that it's strength is reduced and you just get that nice garlic taste left.

unhealthy amount of olive oil, maybe a deciliter or more ... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Put on the lid and just let it be there warm for about 20 minutes, does not hurt if it becomes 40 minues or whatever maybe even 60 minutes, efter all, it is not frying so there is no danger ... as long as it is at least 20minutes.

go and do whatever you need to do during this phase ... I don't like to have and stand watch in the kitchen when I am cooking.

put in the meat, salt, pepper, and muscot, and "spis***min" (swedish name) it is cumin, but not the seeds it is grinded to a powder. The "spis***min" does not increase in taste and can be used as you like, you will feel the balance immediately, a "donk donk donk" and mabe a "donk donk" more and yo are ok, perhaps you should start with only a "donk donk" the first time.

The muscot is dangerous, just tap once or the whole thing gets to bitter, very easy to make a mistake with the muscot, and it adds very little to the taste it is just another dimension in taste if you happen to get boored with the base recepie, but is a secret component from an italian family.

When the meat goes down into warm oily vegetables it divides real easy than if you tried it with the meat alone in a pan. You are not to fry this either just work until it falls apart, we are not in a hurry here then add just as much crushed tomatoes as you baught meat. So if that jar of tomatoes is 400g you count backwards, you need 400g meat, 400g carrot, 400g onnion .....

then you leave this for like 40 minutes or longer if you want, low temp mean nothing is really critical except ventialtion .... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

ok, you are back, maybe it tastes like **** and you have to balance the whole thing, it is up to you, but the consistency you fix with tomato paste, not to much though, or you wonder where are all the spices and did I ever put any meat in, is there only tomatoes in here http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif . Anyways you add ... Basil as the last stage cause its taste is fragile, it doesn't survive "Slow Food" cooking ....

This rather oily meat souce is not what is going to satisfy your hunger, it is used only as a "spice" on sphagetti, you need only like 4 tablespoons on each plate.

It has a very rich and advanced taste so ..... maybe experiement first .. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

------

tomorow I am going to try pasta with tunafish and having some carlic and lemon juice on that as my Iraki friend suggested, I talk to any Italian , Greek, syrian, maroccko, Iraki, libanese person I meet, they know how to cook ... or just make a sallad of what nature have to offer http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

cooking is great fun .... only, I don't want to stand on watch duty in the kitchen ...

whatever meat souce is left over, you freeze in portions, so there you have you wartime emergency food when you have no time or energy to cook any thing that takes long time.

Using the microwave you'll have something real fast on the table in 15 minutes for the price well below $2.

Oh and I hope you have some nice store nearby where you can buy direct imported pasta from small family businesses in Italy. It is so much difference on that and what the big corporations claim is italian pasta, first of all it probably does not come from Italy in the first place .... I just hope you do ... and even if you don't try this weird economical meatsouce ... getting the right pasta is just as critical as makin a meat sauce ... and don't forget you can have a million things on pasta other than meatsouce .... I never stop to get surprised when I hear from other people ....

stinkhammer6
07-21-2005, 04:24 AM
THE ULTIMATE BAGEL

In a bowl, mix mayonaisse and worchestershire sauce, keep adding the sauce until you taste both the mayo and the sauce evenly and one dont overpower the other,once its mixed set aside.

Lightly toast a split bagel so both halves are lightly browned, remove from toaster oven and smear on some dijon mustard, not too thick but not too thin. Then spoon on the mixture above evenly like you would butter.

Shake on some parmesean cheese and coat the mixture fully and return them to the toaster oven. Bake until the parmesean cheese is browned and bubbly, remove and eat. Youll die when you taste this.

ndladis
07-21-2005, 04:58 AM
Barbecue Chicken

Since this is a dedicated thread for recipes, let me fetch you a portion of my knowledge on this subject:
This dish is relative to the forum as it was used by the Resistance located in mountains in Greece during WWII. It is an easy one.

Ingredients

One chicken chopped in small (3"" ) pieces.
2 tea cups olive oil.
Oregano ( much of it)
1 cup lemon juice.
Salt & black pepper

You place the chicken in a pot( preferably clay) after you have pinched all pieces with knife.

You mix the olive oil with the lemon juice and the oregano and you scramble the mixture vigorously until it gets a light green colour.

You pour the sauce into the pot ( Pay attention the mixture to cover all pieces ),and you keep it for a whole day and night in refrigerator.

After you must BBQ the chicken with real wood coal as it gives more flavour to it.

Do not forget to use the mixture when you BBQ the chicken as a sauce ( you may apply it with a lemon cup every time you turn around the pieces).

At the original recipe , the clay pot was buried into the ground for a night and it was cooked next day noon. (Not suitable for warm climates though).

This method makes chicken extremely soft and give the distinctive flavour of olive oil to it.
They used to drink red sweet wine with it.
Tia
Nick

Faamecanic
07-21-2005, 06:13 AM
GREAT idea Kristoff! Im going to copy/paste these into a Word document!

Here is my recipie(real simple and is one of those "start in the morning" to eat in the evening meals):

CLEAR THE HEAD AND CANCEL SILENT RUNNING CHILI

Ingredients:
1-2 lbs of ground beef
Three cans of Chili beans
1 can Tomato Paste
2 Cans of Tomato Sauce
6 good size Jalapeos
1 Habenero
1 Large sweet Onion
2-4 cloves of garlic (depending on taste)
2 Green Bell Peppers
Tobasco Sauce (to taste)
Chili Powder (to taste)
Salt (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)

Instructions: Brown ground beef in fry pan using 1 tsp of chili powder during frying. DRain.

Put Chili beans, tomato sauce, ground beef, and tomato paste in slow cooking crock pot. Slcie and dice all veggies and peppers and add to pot. Allow to simmer 4 hours to get all the juices from the peppers into the mix.

After the 4 hours add a teaspoon of Chili powder to the mix, 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp pepper and 1/2 tsp Tobasco. Taste and season to where you like it.. sorry I cant be more scientific but I mostly season all my foods by taste.

Once you get where you think you like the taste simmer another 2 hours. Re-sample and add anything you feel is lacking. You can also cook the last 2 hours of so with no lid if you want to thicken your chili. I like my chili so thick you can eat it with a fork!

I have also been known at times to throw MANY more veggies/legumes, or meat in like corn, lima beans, bacon, ham (smoked), even green beans....

KRlSTOFF
07-21-2005, 06:09 PM
Breaded "Torpedo" Zucchini Sticks with Horseradish Dip....
...A good snack for your watch-crew and "watch" them disappear!

1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
Salt and pepper to taste
2 teaspoons garlic powder
4 medium zucchinis, cut in half and sliced lengthwise
2 tablespoons olive oil

For the DIP:
1 cup Mayonnaise
3-4 tablespoons prepared horseradish
Salt to taste

Combine the flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Dip the zucchini sticks in the flour mixture and coat well.
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Saut`e the zucchini for about 5 minutes, then place the zucchini on a paper towel to soak up any excess oil.
For the dip, combine the mayonnaise, horseradish, and salt. Arrange the zucchini sticks on a platter (if you can find one in your boat). Pour the dip into a dip bowl...(a type 1935 steel helmet would do as well), and serve with zucchini.
Serves about 6-8 tired, wet and cold crewmembers....

stinkhammer6
07-21-2005, 08:28 PM
Try some of this sauce on angel hair pasta, fish, veal, or as a dipping sauce for bread sticks.

Mornay Sauce
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
Salt
Freshly ground white pepper
Pinch of nutmeg
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk, 1/2 cup at a time. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook, stirring constantly for 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from the pan and whisk in the cheese. Serve hot

blue_76
07-21-2005, 09:25 PM
u guys are nutz! which is why its a brilliant idea! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

found this on the web:

My son who is turning three requested a Yellow Submarine party. What a challenge! (We are coaching him so that he will request a more traditional theme for #4.)

For the Yellow Submarine & Jello cake, I baked a triple batch of white cake (easier to frost with a light color) in a HUGE round pan meant for baking our Thanksgiving turkey. I used a pattern I made on butcher paper where the sub was in three parts, fin, body and periscope, and I cut these parts out of the cooled cake.

I put the pieces (and some leftovers for patching) in the freezer for a day or so. THIS IS IMPORTANT! You get no little cake pills in the frosting, and the room temperature frosting chills and stiffens on the cake as you go.

I frosted the cake yellow on the morning of the party and decorated it with candy from a candy stall. Licorice is hard to manipulate, but cutting it lengthwise into skinny strips and microwaving it for a few seconds makes it easier.

I placed the cake on a piece of tin foil on the white cake board (a shelf from the closet), and put chunks of blue jello around the cake to look like water - the tin foil underneath really makes this Yellow Submarine & Jello cake sparkle!

It was a fun party after all because of its unusual theme and funky cake!

http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/cake-photo.html#boat02

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

stinkhammer6
07-22-2005, 12:59 AM
STINKHAMMERS TRICKS OF THE TRADE
(some tips on a little bit of everything)

Before folding an egg omlette shut, spoon in some spaghetti sauce, a thin line will do.

Pour some of the broth out of a bowl of ramen and add 1/4 cup of red wine in its place.

Dont use season salt, always use garlic salt.

Kraft Parmesean Romano is the best dressing out there.

Add bacon bits to macaroni and cheese and blend in a squirt of Bullseye BBQ sauce (trust me)

When in doubt, add bacon, you cant go wrong.

Olive oil only,for anything.

Dont add milk to aid in cooking eggs to get more density.

Red wine goes with everything, I dont care what the wine experts say. And it makes a good steak marinade.

Buy garlic and dice it yourself instead of buying a jar of diced garlic. Put the garlic in a small jar and add some water so it makes a broth so to speak. When you are out of garlic, you got the broth left and its just as good.

Vidalia, spanish, or yellow onions rock, screw the rest they suck.

Stinkhammer always has the following:
Garlic powder
Garlic salt
COARSE black pepper
White pepper
Thyme
Basil
Sage
Oregano
Dry mustard
Olive oil
If you dont, then you aint cooking.

Stinkhammer's rules to life:
Be on time
Friends are good
Always bring beer
Always be on time to your friends house with the beer

steve_v
07-22-2005, 03:08 PM
Yes to the sticky, and a recipe

We call it Kim's Chicken because it came from a friend named....Kim!

1 cup Russian dressing
1 envelope Lipton's Onion Soup Mix
1 jar (20 oz.) Apricot jelly

Put all in crock pot with chicken (6-7 breasts). Heat on high for 3 hours. Turn to low until chicken is done (about another hour). Serve over rice.

Even kids love it, and you know how picky they can be.

stinkhammer6
07-22-2005, 03:37 PM
Taco Rice and Cheese

Brown and drain one pound of ground beef that has taco seasoning added to it.
Cook one cup of rice and drain.

Place rice on a plate then smear the seasoned beef over top. Add a generous pile of cheddar cheese, sharp or mild and bake a few minutes to melt the cheese or just leave it cold on top.

Here comes the sick part, douse the whole thing in ketchup. Eat. You can try the ketchup on the side but when you try it, youll just put it on top of it all anyways, I even use mayo with this also. Its quick and easy and you really cant make it wrong.

stinkhammer6
07-23-2005, 04:34 AM
Moderators, remove this last kids transmission and ban him back to the stoneage for obvious reasons.

Maj_Solo
07-23-2005, 04:38 AM
Formula 1 sallad .....

Begin with that wet mushy stuff. As one of the TV cooks said ... never mix the red and the green. If you make too much of that mushy stuff you can save it in the fridge and it look pretty good the day after, you mix with the red then the day after it looks and tastes not so good so .... here is the mushy stuff ..

1/2 iceberg sallad
1 cucumber ( take away the green if your stomach can not take it )
red pepper, frsh or in a jar, as much as you like
Basil
Mint
Olive oil
big coarse sea salt flakes ( a little )
optionally:: 1/2 or 1/4 red onion, I think as some other people I talked to that one should be careful with red onion, it gets to sharp taste if a whole onion is used
optionally:: green olives (but again the taste might become too sharp)
optionally:: lemon juice (again after experiementing I think the taste gets too sharp)
optionally:: instead fry the red onion in "Balsamico vinegar" hastily in a pan, not long, this can add another dimension "a taste of nut" .. if you like ....
optionally:: garlic seasoned with oil and spices in a jar, take a few out and mix them in if you like)
optionally:: scratch you head and have a look if there in't anything else in the fridge that is about to get old that one might mix in ... like Sun Dried Tomatoes mmmmmmmmm .... so good.

you can use any sallad like Ruccola or whatever.

Stir, gently or brutally, how ever you want ... anyways this is what I call the green mushy stuff.

-----

What to have on it version 1:

one tomato, dice it, and decorate
one avocado, use teaspoon to carve out nice round pieces and decorate
optionally:: if no green olives in the mushy stuff then you can decorate with black Kalamata olives.
optionally:: if you want you can put some greek cheese (u know from sheep) there in a whole piece on the side, some might like to spread it ontop, but I like it whole on the side so I can get some when I want that taste.

version 2:

one jar of tunafish in oil, on the side.
skip the olives. skip the cheese.
increase the red onion and tomato.

anyways, if you eat only this your stomach might get upset so, a lot of bread and more olive oil and beer should do it.

If you really like a buttery smoth sallad you skip the red onion, the olives, the cheese and increase the Avocado content and reduce all other spices and let the olive oil be the king.

and instead of tunafish you can have cold chicken left overs in the sallad ... quite ok ...

if your stomach is weak then why not have a deep plate with Yoghurt on the side .. could work ...

----- also about olive oil

I think some TV cooks are wrong when they fry using olive oil. In my opinion olive oil is fragile and the molecule chains break if the temperature is too high and the olive oil becomes something else. So if your electric stove goes between 1 - 10 I say max 5, preferably max 4. olive oil is also excellent cold ofcourse on sallad or together with bread but anybody that lives around the meditteranean should explain this use together with bread to me cause I am interested in east meditteranean cooking.

If you need higher temp I think one needs to change oil too ..... I don't know the name, it is either oil from corn or if you think the corn destroys the taste then an oil that is a mix with oil from sunflower and rape-oil or pure sunflower oil which both gives you a range up to say 7, and if you need silly hot then pure rape-oil (which is almost tasteless) will go really high, perhaps highest of them all without breaking down and weird tastes developing, I think you can plat around at 8 - 9 with rape-oil. So that is what I think of oils. For meditteranean cooking use olive oil, but please take a stress pill and go down to 4 ....

maybe does not work so well with shutting the poors on a beef so that it remains juicy, don't know how to achieve that without breaking the oil so instead I change the oil .... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif am I way of or does enyone agree on the oil thing ..

and don't forget there is a hing called butter http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

---------

So that was the opinion I had arrived at so far, now I found this which I have not read yet, but all oils are there .....

http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/CollectedInfo/OilSmokePoints.htm

and if the tast gets too booring with those more tasteless oils for high temp, you can use both oil and butter at the same time so you get to fry what it is you want to fry but at the same time get that nice surface.

Infact they are selling products like that nowadays more and more, and because in these new non stick frying pans it is so hard to get that nice surface on meat they sell floating butter which (I think) have some carrot in it, anyways somthing that gets dark when it is warm http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif, people are getting so handicapped they cant mix anymore, they don't want the meat to be fried but still they want it as before .... it has to be premixed, premixed Yoghurt, premxied cheese with spices, premixed this and that, sigh, buy 1 + 1 + spoon in drawer + stir = final product http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif and you can be creative and shift the taste from time to time .... no everything has to be premade .....

stinkhammer6
07-23-2005, 04:27 PM
Yes dont use olive oil to fry anything, corn oil is what you want. Like you said but Ill add to it, cook what ever with olive oil but add butter to create sort of a sauce like substance, and as you mentioned dont heat it too high or it will in a ways, "curdle", it takes a few minutes longer to cook using olive oil but nothing to argue about. Think of olive oil as cream, dont put either on too high of a temperature, medium heat or less is best.

Man I hate reading my own posts as well as others posting when Im actually hungry, time for a trip to taco bell. Too hungry to cook lol

stinkhammer6
07-24-2005, 06:20 AM
Yours was simply spam and you know it, at least the one you quoted had some reference to inventing ways of cooking aboard a submarine.

stinkhammer6
07-24-2005, 05:42 PM
Sailors Nacho's

Place the contents of a small bag of nacho dorito chips on a plate.

Dig in your gunny sack for a few packets of taco bell mild sauce and coat the chips until satisfied.

See the cook for a handful of shredded cheddar cheese and have him put it in the microwave for you for about a minute until the cheese is melted.

Eat in the stern torpedo room as to not attract other hungry sailors.

captsteubie
07-25-2005, 02:45 AM
HHHHMMMMM, you people are making me hungry! Do we have official U-Boat menu? I am interested in the daily meals of the men. I have seen SS and Army patrol menus, but not for the U-Boat men. I am just curious. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

stinkhammer6
07-25-2005, 04:36 AM
I fired off a email to someone who is in authority on U boats and everything about them, not sure if Ill get an email back but Im trying, this guy is very busy. Kristoff, if I get some real U boat recipes, Ill pm you with them first before I post them since you asked about them originally.

KRlSTOFF
07-25-2005, 04:45 AM
You're da MAN, stink....

stinkhammer6
07-25-2005, 12:53 PM
I did see the link to the page that had the standard food loadout for Uboats but dont remember where I seen it at. If I had that list I could probably tell you some of the things they came up with, I know german recipes pretty well.

stinkhammer6
07-25-2005, 01:59 PM
For all you new england area sailors:

Magnetic Mussels

Boil about 16 mussels until they open. Drain off the water and arrange on a cookie sheet.
Spoon in about half a teaspoon of olive oil, same amount of white wine. and a quarter tab of butter.

Sprinkle with garlic powder and a small amount of parsley flakes.

Bake for 5 minutes after the butter has fully melted.

Yen Lo
07-25-2005, 03:35 PM
bout time this got stickied gj all.

The_Gill_738
07-26-2005, 12:21 AM
Check out this link
http://uboat.net/men/foodstuffs.htm.

stinkhammer6
07-26-2005, 04:44 AM
already found it but thanks, dont look like my source will answer or can answer my question on u boat recipes while at sea. Too bad, would have been interesting.

Casper139971
07-26-2005, 06:39 AM
Great Thread... Being a Butcher in a gourmet Grocery store, I speak with Professional and hobby chefs everyday. I hardly try the recipes I hear, but I did this 1.

2 Pork Tenderloins (Filet Mignon of pork http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif
1 8oz Cream Cheese
Jalapeno Peppers
1 pound bacon

1. Butterfly the 2 pork tenderloins (assumingb they weigh about 1 to 1 1/2 pounds. This will allow them to lie flat.

2. Place 1 on you block, put an even layer of sliced Jalapenos.

3. Slice the cream cheese into thin slices and cover the Jalapenos.

4. Place the 2nd Pork Tendeloin on top, making a
sandwich if the two.

5. Tie the 2 togther, not overly tight, just tight enouch to hold them togther. I use about 4 pieces of twine. (Note: use butcher twine, or and cotton twine with NO nylon. I know this sounds obvious, but.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

6. Lay out the pound of bacon on your block/counter in even rows, with the bacon slightly over lapping. Have the bacon lie longways away from you. Reserve 4 pieces and lie those on the 2 ends across the other bacon, with about 2 inches actually overlapping the bacon, and the rest sticking out on the ends. Do this about 2 inches from the bottom of the bacon.

7. Place the Tendeloins on the bacon and loop the 2 pieces on each end up around the ends of the tenderloins. Now roll Them in the rest of the bacon. If done right, The tenderloins should
be completely Wrapped in bacon, with the ends capped and tucked into the roll.

8. This Can be cooked on the grill, but my experience shows the oven to have a much more consistant and easier result. Cook at 425 for about 20 minutes, then reduce the heat to 375. Cook until the pork is done. Use a meat thermometer, and pull it out when it reaches 165 internal temperature. Make sure the thermometer is in the pork itself.

9. Let rest 15 minutes and slice. MMMMMMM

I don't often post here, but I read here a lot. I love SHIII and IL2 series, and many other games as well, but often have nothing new to add. Hope you try this recepe and enjoy.

Casper139
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

stinkhammer6
07-26-2005, 03:35 PM
Interesting combination, I do something similar but instead of the peppers or cream cheese I would put whole garlic cloves and several rings of onion and brown sugar in the middle, excellent recipe.

urlybird0
07-28-2005, 01:12 AM
Urlybirds sweet n sour snorkers ( sausages )

1lb of the best pork sausages you can find

1 large red onion

1 jar of mangoe chutney

liberal amounts of "worcestershire " sauce , ( I use Lee & Perrins )

chile peppers and garlic to taste

Part cook the sausages , then chop the onions peppers garlic together and mix in with the sausages, pour in the worcestershire sauce and mangoe chutney and simmer until the sausages are cooked through
Serve with jacket spuds or granary bread

Ubd

stinkhammer6
07-28-2005, 11:19 AM
Stink's Torpedo's (for kids of all ages)

Cook up about a dozen tater tots.

Place two slices of your favorite cheese in the middle of two hotdog buns.

Place the hot tater tots on top of the cheese.

Douse with ketchup and mayo.

Dont sound like much but its quick and very filling, not to mention easy on the wallet.

TX-CUDA
07-28-2005, 05:20 PM
...My crew is getting restless as we have not been re-supplied in quite a while.We were to meet our ship off the northern coast of Cuba but after a week we fear that she has fallen victim to the U.S.patrols that are coming from Florida. Since we are to sink any tanker traffic that we cross off the coast of both Texas and Lousianna I have taken a drastic move to keep the crew happy with some fresh fish.
I ordered the helm to take us into shallow water and had the on duty mess hands onto the deck equipped with hand lines. For lures they used flattened 20mm shell casings to form a "spoon" as I had used while on holiday in Zurich. Before long we had quite a few of the fish that are known as "Redfish" in the 20-30 inch length. We proceeded to sail back into safer waters and dove to avoid the coastal patrols.
My cook did not know how to prepare these "Redfish" or sea bass as I think they are similar to....so I advised him to just filet the meat off the carcass and not to scale or skin the fish as I wanted to keep them from getting dry before we could devise a way to cook them. After we surfaced that night for our standard recharge I came up with this recipe that the crew seemed to like.

Take two good sized Redfish and filet ONLY. Do not remove the scales or skin.

Start a fire in a Nosecone of a torpedo with hardwood.
Make sure that you keep a piece of the wood back to make smoke on your charcoal(NO BRIQUETS!)
Have your engineers fashion a grill of some sort
to hold the fish over the coals.
Place the filets over the fire Scale/Skin side down and have the cook coat the meat side with butter..garlic powder..and Cayenne pepper or Tony Chachere's LITE Creole seasoning.
Make sure that someone from the Engine Room sends up a cover to contain the smoke over the torpedo nose as you want to get some of the smoke flavor from the hardwood into the fish.
One way to do this is to have the fire on a deck plate and cover it with the torpedo nose with the detonator access removed...this will let the smoke out the top of the nose if you place a spent shell casing under the cover allowing some sea air to flow onto the fire.
Once the fish has been smoking on the grill for at least 20 minutes have the cook take a fork and check if the fish will flake off the skin. If it does then it is ready! The fish is insulated from the direct heat by the scales and skin and will come right off the skin not dried out in the least.

...My crew were well fed that night as we had enough to even save for the others that had just come off watch and were sleeping.All were so happy that we waited off the coast of Galveston,Texas and sank three tankers out of Texas City and were able to return to the place off the Lousianna Delta and get more of this great tasting fish.

TX-Cuda
http://www.txsquadron.com
Galveston,Texas

stinkhammer6
07-31-2005, 02:57 AM
Tater Tots (yes....again)

2 dozen tater tots
half stick of butter
1/4 yellow onion
2 eggs
Handful of cheddar cheese

Put tater tots and butter in a frying pan on medium heat, as its melting the butter, dice up the onion and toss it into the pan also.
SHAKE on some black pepper, garlic salt, garlic powder, paprika, thyme, ginger, curry powder.

Mash the tater tots into mush and brown until the onions are tender.

Quickly, crack both eggs and toss over the mess and stir, chop, flip around in the pan, when the eggs are just about done (this will happen quickly) toss in the handful of cheddar cheese and stir into the mix. Youll know when its done http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Warning, I made this mess yesterday evening around 4 in the morning, I was still full and bloated like feeling at noon the next day.

Yen , how is that chicken turning out? I made the recipe I posted for you 6 days ago and it was superb.

Kristoff, are you done eating yet?

The_Gill_738
08-03-2005, 07:52 PM
I just bought stuff to make Stink's Torpedo's. Cant wait to try em. Has anyone tried to take a look at the list of food on a U boat and tried to make some dishs out of that?

stinkhammer6
08-04-2005, 08:29 AM
I have looked over the food stuffs from the site and its vague on some of the ingredients, it only tells basics and not details, canned meats, fish etc etc, if I knew what type, and what spices or extras that may have been excluded I could give you an idea. I do know a bit about german cooking and recipes but since this is military rations, it was most likely simple, meats were heated, same with potatos etc etc and slapped on a tin plate. Same with modern military rations, nothing fancy just a here you go type of thing.

stinkhammer6
08-04-2005, 08:35 AM
Acorns and Sausage

1 Acorn Squash (I know what you were thinking)
1 pound of ground sausage
1 stick of butter
1 cup brown sugar

Slice the squash in half and deseed. When you do this cut the seeds out in a circlular fashion so it makes a round pocket in each half.

Place a half of stick of butter in each pocket and 1/4 cup of brown sugar also.

Ball up half of the sausage into a round ball, make 2, and place in the pockets over the sugar and butter. Use the remaining brown sugar around the ball of sausage and a litte on top of it.

Bake in the oven around 350 degrees until the sausage is done. Youll have to make sure the squash is propped up so its level or the sauce it will create will spill all over the place during cooking. For 5 dollars you can make this and one half will satisfy any appetite.

Yen Lo
08-08-2005, 04:05 PM
Hey Stink, wassupers?? LOL. Anyways its been to hot and humid to run the oven/stove right now. I got those(plus I just moved across town) recipes copied down and plan on trying them out as soon as it cools off a little. Ima try playing games more rather than arguing on the internet with people, lol that was my 2004 resolution. Well ill be in and out, keep posting recipes, got one for Meatloaf? iam a single guy looking for something thatll last me like 2 or 3 days, dont like cooking everyday, but I like to cook.
Ever watch Sandra Lee on Food network, shes delicious as the food she makes hehe. Later.

stinkhammer6
08-08-2005, 07:31 PM
Yen, go and look up on the recent pages for the cheese dip I mentioned, that will last you at least two days if not three. Meatloaf? Ill have to make some again and jot down what I put in mine, havent made it in a long time so I guess you sparked my attention to it lol. If you make my roast chicken that will last you a couple of days too. Next stop, meatloaf for Yen.

Yen Lo
08-08-2005, 07:33 PM
tx stink your a bud!!!

I think I'll try that chip dip with sauage and stuff sounds great man!!

urlybird0
08-10-2005, 03:10 AM
Hey Yen ,
try this idea ,

Cook up a big pan of Spaghetti Bolognese , have it with pasta on day 1 , day 2 make a Lasagne with half of whats left , and day 3 add some kidney beans and chillis and eat with rice and tachos

regards

Ubd

Iggins01
08-12-2005, 08:59 PM
surprised no one has mentioned creamed corn and peanut brittle

Yen Lo
08-12-2005, 09:16 PM
ya Smitlack stopped in for a visit and never came back.

stinkhammer6
08-13-2005, 10:01 AM
Stinkhammers Meat Loaf

1 lb of ground beef
1/2 lb of ground pork
1/2 lb of ground veal
1/4 vidalia or spanish onion
1/2 red bell pepper
Honey
Sun dried tomatos
Tomato paste 1 small can
Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.

Use the backside of a cheese grater, where the holes are super small and shred the onion and set aside. Dice up the red bell pepper and also set aside.

Heat up about 3 tablespoons or so of honey in the microwave, once its heated and easily stirs blend the 3 meats , the onion, pepper and the honey together in a large mixing bowl. Once everything is well blended, place the blend into a thinly butter lined baking pan that will accomodate the amount of meat so it doesnt leave spaces on any of the ends or sides, it should fill the pan and any extra is mounded over top. Once this is done, dice up finely about 5 sun dried tomatos (they are super small). Then heat up about 3 more table spoons of honey, once it is heated to the point of it being easily stirred whisk the honey into the tomato paste until well blended, then blend in the finely diced sun dried tomatos. You have to do the honey first before it cools.

Now take the current mixture and spoon on top of the meat in the baking pan, use a chefs paintbrush and literally paint on the mixture so the entire top has a small coating, but not too thick. Then bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Remove the loaf from the baking pan and place on a plate (I use a piece of foil on top of a oven mit on my hand and turn the pan over and lightly shake until it slides out onto the foil then place the plate facing down on the bottom of the loaf and sharply turn it right side up)
Once on the plate place the foil loosely around the loaf for about 10 minutes so it sets.
Now slice and serve with your favorite potato type or style side dish.

Here you go Yen, if this dont curb your appetite, nothing will.

Lukey__b
08-14-2005, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by urlybird0:
Hey Yen ,
try this idea ,

Cook up a big pan of Spaghetti Bolognese , have it with pasta on day 1 , day 2 make a Lasagne with half of whats left , and day 3 add some kidney beans and chillis and eat with rice and tachos

regards

Ubd

Grate some cheese into the spag bol, and instead of lasagne sheeets, use potato and aubergine(egg plant) slices. Instant Mousaka.

SFCspoonman
08-15-2005, 09:40 AM
Cptn Spoonmans heart stopping potatoes:

Start with a beef kilbasa chopped into 1/4-1/2 inch pieces. I usually quarter the kilbasa and then slice it into pieces. Start that frying in its own pan till nicley browned.

In a larger fry pan start with 2 tablespoons butter and 4 average sized potatos peeled and cubed slightly larger then the kilbasa, and 1/2 large chopped vadiala onion on top of the potatoes. Sprinkle with chili powder salt and pepper, cover and cook till the potatoes start to get soft.

Uncover, gently turn the potatoes when browned on the bottom (so as not to mash them) leave uncovered, then dump the browned kilbasa and fat over the potatos, and continue to brown over a low heat. ( you can drain the fat if it is a concern, but you need to replace with some heart healthy oil to crisp the potatoes). It is key to let the potatoes brown and crisp, while turning as little as possible, so you dont end up with mush.

after a second turn sprinkle 4 finely chopped cloves of garlic on top to steam and flavor, and allow them to cook in there for the last couple of turns. We add the garlic late to keep it from burning, as it cooks in a short time. Things start smelling awesome at this point!

When its all nice and crispy, salt and pepper again to taste, spoon and serve while hot.

This dish is not very tasty when reheated, so make only what you need.

Serves 2-3 hearty eaters and is a meal in itself.

A breakfast variation is to use a package of brown and serve sausage browned then cut into bite sized pieces instead of the kilbasa, and after its almost all done, scramble 6 eggs in the empty sausage pan, and add to the potato mixture just before serving. This is a awsome camping breakfast, and keeps people from eating just the sausages. And its great with toast!

stankhammer7
08-29-2005, 10:00 PM
Im back people, the haters cant keep me down.

Schreiber1
09-22-2005, 10:04 PM
I just got in here and find find this all just great.
Now I haven't seen any german recipes yet so I thought I would make mention of a few. Unfortunately I'm not a cook and back in the days when mom made it I didn't think much of watching what went in it.

Considering this would be a submarine in WWII potatoes is probably the staple. Therefore potato (spud) salad. This a recipe I found online which sounds like real german thing... you gotta have pickles.
3 cups cooked potatoes, warm, cubed
1/4 cup chopped pimiento
1/4 cup dill pickle, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 cup mayonnaise, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika

Next would be potato soup with a piece of bread and small piece of bacon or ham (most likely smoked before leaving port). A recipe you ask, think of soup...water, potatoes, what ever spices are handy. As for the portion of ham, not very big... you have to remember there was rationing during WWII. The big portions and meals took place when submariners returned to port.

If I find anything else I'll pass it on.

WilhelmSchulz.-
09-23-2005, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by stinkhammer6:
Sailors Nacho's

Place the contents of a small bag of nacho dorito chips on a plate.

Dig in your gunny sack for a few packets of taco bell mild sauce and coat the chips until satisfied.

See the cook for a handful of shredded cheddar cheese and have him put it in the microwave for you for about a minute until the cheese is melted.

Eat in the stern torpedo room as to not attract other hungry sailors. Just tried that today. Yum. That was good.

Maj_Solo
10-10-2005, 12:22 PM
So ..... are we ready to make a real cookbook somewhere on the net with closeups on the plates, and also some stories and photographs of SHIII players on fabolous missions, we can browse through this forum and find some nice stories so that the guy cooking can read some stories while he is cooking if you know what I mean ...... So what place on the internet can host a "life style / cook book" for SHIII karleuns? (might be a good idea when so much effort is going into this cookbook )

TASKFORCE1x1
11-09-2005, 06:54 AM
All good dishes. I like the best German potato dumplings made by Knorr with brown gravy sauce and crock potted london broil chopped into beef cubes. Mouth watering! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Schiffmorder
11-18-2005, 04:47 PM
First of all thanks to everyone for some great recipes!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif
reading Cuda's post reminded me of my younger days working the offshore rigs in the Gulf of Mexico. One trip we were way the heck out (165 miles south of galveston) in about 4500 ft of water on a semisub called the Ocean Valiant. The hard core fisherman amongst us would scavenge the nipples from the milk bags (5 gallons) in the galley. These were white rubbery plastic, about 8 inches long. After a few minutes with a sharp knife the tube now had a 'skirt', with a weight and a hook embedded. These made very successful lures for Dolphin fish (NOT dolphins) but the usually were torn up in the process, so there was a great demand for the nipples. Catching a real Dolphin is of course strictly verbotten, and I recall one time on a lay barge one somehow got caught up in one of the anchor lines and was pulled into the winch before anyone saw it. Heckofa mess!! And the paperwork!!

RedTerex
11-20-2005, 10:06 PM
Quick n Easies.

Break two eggs into a bowl add about 2 cups of milk and whisk.

Soak some sliced white bread into the mixture and then drop the soaked bread into a frying pan and heat until both sides are golden brown.

very tasty, very cheap and "quick n easy".

enjoy.

Capt_James_Cook
12-04-2005, 08:45 PM
Improvised Ships Beer

...I have already made mention of our brewing Beer which we at first made with a decoction of the leaves of the spruce tree mixed with Inspissated juce of Wort and mellasses but finding that the decoction of Spruce alone made the beer to astringent we mixed with it an equal quantity of the Tea plant which partly distroyed the Astringentcy of the other and made the Beer exceeding Palatable and esteemed by every one on board. This Beer we brewed in the same manner as spruce Beer, that is we first made a strong decoction of the leaves or small branches of the Spruce tree & Tea shrub by boiling them three or four hours, or untill the bark will strip with ease from the branches, then take the leaves or branches out of the copper and mix with the liquor the proper quantity of Melasses and Inspissated Juce, One Gallon of the former and three of the latter is sufficient to make a Puncheon or 80 gallons of beer, let this mixture just boil and put it into the Cask and to it add an equal quantity of cold water more or less according to your taste and the strength of the decoction, when the whole is but milk warm put in a little grounds of Beer or yeast, if you have any, or any thing else that will cause fermentation and in a few days the Beer will be fit to drink, after the casks have been brewed in two or three times the beer will generally ferment of it self (especially if the weather is warm). It is not at all necessary to have Inspissated juce of Wort for the making of this Beer. Melasses alone will do full as well of which Ten gallons will be sufficient to make a Tun (252 gallons) of beer: sugar will also answer the same purpose, I made use of the Inspissated juce of Malt because I had it, and could not apply it to a better use and to save sugar and Melasses, for of the latter I had but one small cask and of the former little to spare for this use...

Capt. James Cook, Ship Resolution, Saturday 8 May 1773, Dusky Sound, New Zealand.

(If you are interested to know more of the recipies and enforced diet to prevent scurvy of the people and the officers aboard during our three long voyages of discovery 1768 - 1779, then please ask. Scurvy is the mariners enemy, shared knowledge will conquer it.....)

KRlSTOFF
12-16-2005, 11:57 AM
Well It has certainly been awhile since I have been back on board and I can tell you, I never thought this "recipe" topic would take off like it did. There is some really good stuff in here.

RoughRaider1
12-17-2005, 07:20 AM
I once said to the cook/engineer on the tug I was working on after tasting his pot roast "this is pretty good". His reply was, "it'll make a turd".
Since then I've had a new philosophy on food.

TekLabz
01-22-2006, 01:03 PM
First off, I'd like to commend Faamecanic's chili recipe back on page one. It's so similar to mine, which I worked out several years ago and after several years of fine-tuning, that no matter where he actually hails from, he'll always be embraced by a Texan! I offer up my recipe for comparison's sake, or for those who are a little on the culinary-challenged side and need more specific amounts of seasonings to use.

Tek€s Tejas Chili

2 lbs grnd beef (I prefer sirloin)
4 tomatoes on the vine
1 medium to large vidalia (yellow) onion
4 medium to large garlic cloves
3 cans of beans- I use Northern/navy, kidney or pinto, and black eyed peas
1/4 cup sugar
3 or 4 jalapenos*
2 or 3 habaneros*
3 or 4 red chili peppers*
chili powder
cayenne pepper
salt
cilantro

In a large skillet, brown the beef with the onions and the garlic. I don€t have a skillet large enough, so I have to brown it 1 lb at a time. When most of the pink is gone, add 2 Tbsp of chili powder, 10 shakes of cayenne, and 1 tsp salt (x2 if doing both lbs altogether, so 4 Tbsp chili powder, etc total for the browning). When meat is browned, dump it into a large crockpot (you can drain it if you want, but the grease is so yummy!). Add the beans, diced tomatoes, sugar, and the peppers (cut up as small as you need to not hurt yourself or others). Add another 2 Tbsp or so chili powder (ie to taste) and maybe a little more salt(again to taste). I then add a thick sprig of cilantro (not cut up, so it€s easy to remove later) and cook on high for 5 to 6 hours uncovered. This allows some water to evaporate off and concentrates the flavor. So every once in a while you€ll want to add cup water to desired consistency (usually I do this twice, 1 cup total). For sake of time you could cook it with cover on at high setting for probably 2 to 3 hrs and it would be hot enough to serve. Remove the cilantro before serving. I usually like to have fresh chopped onion and jalapenos, as well as cilantro available to add to individual servings.
Of course chili and stews are always better after being refrigerated or frozen for a day or two, so you could make it in advance.

*if worried about it being too hot don€t use habaneros, and use the lesser number of jalapenos.....wuss : ]

** I have also made it with sliced portabella mushrooms, which are awesome in the chili.

Enjoy!

vozzek6969
02-15-2006, 08:39 AM
Kristof -

I made the bacon-wrapped shrimp with the pepperjack cheese last night, and I must say it was every bit as awesome as you said. Thanks man, cool receipe. Easy too.

-Vozz

jac1029
03-10-2006, 05:33 PM
This is a neat thread. Its kinda funny that gamers (or sub simmers if you like) share food recipies on forums.

I think that the sub sim genera is the only one that has people who can cook like professional chefs. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

hattrik21
04-11-2006, 12:17 PM
Taco Soup

1 lb. ground sirloin beef

1 package taco seasoning

1 package RANCH dressing mix

1 can whole kernel corn

1 can chili beans 12 oz.

1 can red enchilada sauce

1 can pinto beans 12 oz.

2 can diced rotel tomatoes and chilies

1 tbs. garlic

1 can water (12 oz. of water)

1 can Tomato Sauce (8 oz.)

Brown the beef and add taco seasoning and RANCH dressing mix while simmering. Add remaining ingredients to a large soup/chili pot. Bring this concoction to a slow boil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat and simmer for 4-6 hours.

This has the same properties as good chili, in that it gets better the more times you re-heat.

Cook in a 6 Qt Crock-Pot.

hueywolf123
05-01-2006, 06:02 PM
For cold winter evenings,
Brown in a deep saucepan four or five lamb cutlets (no, not the crumbed variety) and let them stand for a few moments.
Take them out of the saucepan, and add some fresh veggies, diced tomatoes and some potatoes.
Put in about four cups of water, a pinch of salt and a generous sprinkle of pepper. Bring it to the boil, then let it simmer for half an hour or so.
Add about 1 cup of Stout ( black beer for those who are unsure), bring back to the boil then simmer, now put the lamb cutlets back in and simmer until the meat comes off the bone. Remove the bones, dish it all up (serves four) and enjoy

KRlSTOFF
05-02-2006, 03:49 PM
wow...I cant believe this cookbook is still out here....its awesome...I HAVE GOT TO PRINT THIS STUFF OUT...

hueywolf123
05-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Chillie Seafood,
1/2kg king prawns
1 doz fresh scallops
1 doz fresh mussels (in shell)
1 lobster (medium)un-cooked
1 fresh crab un-cooked (blue swimmer)
1/2kg fresh calamari
2 medium chillies
1 bottle sweet chillie sauce
1 bottle dark soy
1 jar honey
1 can coconut cream.

Cut in halfs and clean the lobster and the crab, place with other seafood in refrigerator.
Place 6 cups of water in a large pot (big enough for all seafood).
cut finely the chillies and put them in the pot, pour in half the bottle of sweet chillie, half the bottle of dark soy, throw in a small buch of baby buck-choy and bring the water to the boil.
Now boiling, throw in all the seafood. As soon as the prawns have turned orange the seafood is cooked. Take out any mussels that have not opened ( very important- do not eat un-opened mussels).
Turn off the heat and let it stand for a couple of minutes but no longer.Stir in about 1/4 of the honey. Quickly pour in the coconut cream and stir through.
Serve instantly in large bowls, making sure you have finger bowls, napkins, and are not too fond of your table cloth.
This is one for summer evenings, wash it down with plenty of c******nay and good company
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

banzai_billy
02-03-2007, 02:03 PM
Eastern Seaboard Seafood

I don't think anyone here is a Marylander, but your all missing out on some good seafood.

Although lobsters can't really be designated as a Maryland thing, it's Eastern seaboard all the same. Lobsters are simple to prepare, although some tweaking with boiling time will be needed. All you need to do is throw the things in a pot and boil 'em til they turn a red-orange shade. As I said, they're a sensitive dish, and a sure indication they've been overcooked is that the meat will feel rubbery. Perfectly cooked it will fall apart in your mouth. For best results, yank the tail off and get that huge hunk of meat, and bathe it in melted salted butter.

Second are the crabs, which can be prepared any of three ways. I only know one, which is essentially the same as the lobsters. Boil. But, when they're done, seasoning is needed. The seasoning is called Old Bay. It consists of (reading from a label) Celery salt, Mustard, Pepper, Laurel Leaves, Cloves, Pimento, Ginger, Mace, Cardamon, Cassia, and Paprika. I'm hazy on proportions. Dust all of them (a dozen is good for one person) in a heavy layer. Although this may not seem like it accomplishes any, as you have you take off the shells, the old bay sticks to your hands and then to the meat. Eating the legs are the easiest part, but the body is a whole 'nother story, one available on request if your interested. Crabs can also be prepared as a crabcake or fried softshells, (don't take a hard crab and try to fry it) in a sandwich. Crab should be eaten with butter.

Third is simply shrimp boiled shells on and coated with old bay.

banzai_billy
02-03-2007, 02:08 PM
If any of you take a trip to the Delmarva, or the pennisula on the eastern shore of the Chesapeake Bay, you may want to eat this. It's expensive, and crabs can be caught relatively simply. Best with two people. On a pier, tie raw chicken or anything dead to a piece of string and cast it over the side. When you feel tugs, slowly reel it in until the crab is in site. The other person should slowly lower the net into the water and attempt ot snag it. Careful, they're quick and can swim in any direction unlike fish. Make sure you have a ready bucket for them. Eastern seaboard crabs are brown blue in color, and are some of the most aggressive ones known. They pack a vicious pinch. I've required stitches from them before, so watch out.

PhantomKira
08-29-2007, 01:14 PM
DelMarVa penninsula: Delaware, Maryland, Virginia penninsula, USA.

Ah yes, banzai_billy. Maryland Bluecrab, one of my favorites. We used to go crabbing every summer when I lived there as a kid. Good meat, but a lot of work to procure (lots of not so edible stuff in there too, that you have to pick the meat out of). We liked to say you could burn almost as many calories cleaning the crabs as you did eating them.

If you go crabbing there, be sure to get the required scale. It's kind of like a ruler, plastic and flimsy, but it has the legal length limits for all kinds of things on it. Also, make sure you only take the males. You can tell by the inverted Y shaped "key" on thier belly (great for getting a knife under and opening them up once their cooked!). The females have a much wider inverted V, and should be tossed back.

As for cooking directions, I remember we used a big pot to steam them (put them in live, the meat stays best that way), but I don't remember the exact times. Must consult Dad on that one...

In contrast to the "slowly lower the net into the water", I found it better to slowly get almost to the surface, then VERY quickly scoop the net under the crab and pull it out of the water. I can not stress the speed of this maneuver enough! They are fast!

Oh, and as he said, watch your fingers!

wh1skea
08-29-2007, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by RedTerex:
Quick n Easies.

Break two eggs into a bowl add about 2 cups of milk and whisk.

Soak some sliced white bread into the mixture and then drop the soaked bread into a frying pan and heat until both sides are golden brown.

very tasty, very cheap and "quick n easy".

enjoy.

Ahhh, good ole French toast.

As for a recipe from me, here goes:

wh1skea's holiday ambrosia:

1 large tub cool whip
1 can Del Monte Very Cherry fruit cocktail
1 can Dole tropical fruit salad
1 can mandarin oranges
1 medium sized jar marachino cherries (red cherries)
1-1 1/2 sliced bananas
1/4-1/3 bag flavored/colored mini marshmallows
handful of coconut (optional)

drain all fruit and mix in a pan. mix in cool-whip. mix in marshmallow and coconut. refridgerate overnight.

Never lasts long at home or during the company Christmas lunch.

VikingGrandad
08-30-2007, 04:14 AM
Good to see this thread afloat again! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I'll add a shortcut in the SH4 GD forum.

PhantomKira
12-26-2007, 09:16 PM
Bump.

The_Silent_O
12-27-2007, 12:13 PM
Okay, I call this the quick and easy Corn Chip Dip ...

- 1 Glop of original philadelphia cream cheese (probably about a 1 inch slice)
- 8 OZ of your favorite Salsa sauce
- Sliced Jalapeno Peppers (to your comfort level)
- two handfuls of Corn Chips
- cold mug of your favorite beer

Put glop of Cream cheese in small bowl, add peppers and pour the Salsa over top. Heat in microwave for 1 min to 1 1/2 minutes until cream cheese goes soft.

Use a corn chip to mix it up so that the cheese is spread throughout the salsa.

Voila! Enjoy and wash down with beer!

hueywolf123
12-27-2007, 01:52 PM
Wow, this thread is back. Has anybody ever thought about printing off a hard copy of all the recipes here, binding as an actual book, with all our sigs attached etc.
I'd buy a copy, any other opinions? Maybe Ubi could sponsor such a thing?
This is a great thread though, I'll put a couple more in here when I have more time

lane2512
12-28-2007, 01:37 PM
Before you all call the cops to have me arrested I want to offer this disclaimer:

I am NOT trying to kill you.

That said....

One whole chicken
fresh garlic bulb
fresh parsley
fresh rosemary
fresh cilantro
one lemon
virgin olive oil
two eggs
2 cups of water

Five....yes that is correct 5, as in the number after 4, POUNDS (not pinches, not ounces), POUNDS of SALT (Kosher or Sea Salt is best). http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

You DO NOT need to pre-position an ambulance near your home.

Wash and dry the chicken.

Combine the garlic, parsley, rosemary, and cilantro in a container and smash (I use a motar and pestle)....add dabs of olive oil to make a chunky marinade.

Rub that mixture all over the chicken. Rub it in good. Grind it in with your hands.

Slice up the lemon and put on the chicken and inside the chicken, along with whatever left over marinade you have left.

In a large bowl or baking pan pour in the 5 POUNDS OF SALT. All of it. Don't panic.

Mix the two eggs with the salt. Mix it thoughly with your hands, adding a bit of water each time until the salt is the texture of WET SAND.
Not too much, not too little. Just enough to leave it with a grainy texture that sticks together when compacted.

Now put 1/2 of that salt into a foil lined baking pan. A nice big heap of it.

Lay the marinated chicken on the salt.

Now take the remaining salt and pack it over and around the chicken....basically encasing the chicken in the 5 pounds of salt. Cover it completely.

Place in a preheated 400 degree oven for 2 hours.

Now for the fun part.

At the end of two hours remove the pan of chicken from the oven. The salt has turned into a ceramic like container around the chicken.

Holding the pan about 3 inches from the countertop DROP THE PAN.

That's right....DROP IT ON THE COUNTER.

The baked salt container will crack like an egg.

Remove the baked salt.

You will discover a perfectly browned and VERY MOIST chicken underneath it.

Slice and serve with your favorite vegetables.
I prefer mashed or par-boiled potatoes and corn on the cob.

The meat IS NOT SALTY. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Don't believe me? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Try it. It is a real conversation maker at a dinner party. Especially when people decide you are wacked out of your mind.

VikingGrandad
12-29-2007, 02:56 PM
Wow, interesting recipe Lane!

I'd love to see some photos, especially of the baked salt casing before it's cracked open.

Sounds really tasty, but sadly wouldn't win any brownie points with VikingGrandma as she's vegetarian http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

lane2512
12-29-2007, 03:32 PM
Well cook Grandma up some sprouts and you get to enjoy the chicken! I know Grandad can take on a 5 pound frier with no problem! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I wish I had taken photos. Maybe in the next couple of weeks I'll cook it up again and provide cookbook pictures. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Realjambo
12-29-2007, 04:05 PM
Goodness me lane! That's a recipe and a half, and well written too! I can't top that (but will definitely try it out) so I will offer a desert:

Mars Bar Cheesecake - The most intense chocolate based sugar rush I've ever encountered and Mrs. Jambo and our dinner guests always enjoy it. The taste far outweighs the effort put in http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Go to the Supermarket and buy:

4 Mars Bars
1 pack Philadelphia soft cheese (the foil wrapped block type)
Pack of 'digestive' biscuits
Block of normal butter

Now do this:

Digestive biscuits into a bag or wrapped up cloth. Bash them until crushed.
Melt butter in a pan and add crushed biscuits, stirring so they absorb all the butter.
Line small baking tins with this mixture.

Dice Mars Bars into a heatproof bowl, while bringing a pan of water to the boil.
Place bowl of Mars Bar over the pan of water to melt the chocolate.
Dice Philadelphia and add to melted Mars Bars. Remove from heat.

WHISK FOR YOUR LIFE! The chocolate wants to harden but you have to get the Philadelphia and the chocolate combined. It's easier with an electric whisk.

Spoon mixture over biscuit base and leave to set in fridge for a couple of hours. If you have a sweet tooth, you'll love this - and will probably work with other popular chocolate bars.

VikingGrandad
12-29-2007, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by lane2512:
Well cook Grandma up some sprouts and you get to enjoy the chicken! I know Grandad can take on a 5 pound frier with no problem! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Yep, I could just about tuck away a 5 pounder (given enough beer), and Viking Grandma sure loves sprouts! How many pounds of salt to encase a pound of sprouts I wonder http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

ash1976
01-24-2008, 06:21 PM
Just found this thread whilst mooching through old posts (& aside from having the worst munchies ever now!!) thought I'd offer this one up - great in the summer to eat in the garden with a cold beer or nice wine!

Sticky CHilli Chicken

4 skinless chicken breasts
1 small red onion
1 250ml bottle Maple Syrup
Half bottle (approx 100ml) Sweet chilli dipping sauce
1 teaspoon 'lazy' garlic or 2 finely diced segments fresh garlic

Teaspoon Pimenton (smoked paprika powder)

Dice the chicken & onion the add to a large bowl with the maple syrup, sweet chilli sauce & garlic - mix well.
Leave to marinade for at least 2 hours, overnite if poss.

Get a wok or flat bottom skillet medium hot & tip the whole bowl in - turn up heat to max.

It'll bubble a bit & look a little 'watery' for a initially - don't worry tho!!

Once it settles down a bit add the Pimenton powder & stir thru.

Now just leave it to sit on the high heat, stir every now & again for about 15 mins.

The marinade will cook down & the syrup caramelises to a rich, dark, sticky sweet coating!

Serve onto a bowl of salad leaves with some butter fried cherry tomatoes, or with rice, or wrap into soft flour totillas/pitta's with some salad!!

Mmmmm, mmmm, mmmmm!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

lane2512
01-25-2008, 09:21 AM
Ash..... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Yum! I'm gonna give that one a try. I like the way the dish can be served up with all kinds of things.........

......'here chicky chicky...come on over chicky chicky....axe? What ax?.....'

ash1976
01-25-2008, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by lane2512:
Ash..... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Yum! I'm gonna give that one a try. I like the way the dish can be served up with all kinds of things.........

......'here chicky chicky...come on over chicky chicky....axe? What ax?.....'

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif ssshhhh Lane, they can hear you!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/tigger88wcod/chicken_with_teeth.jpg

odjig292
01-25-2008, 05:28 PM
I'm a long time cook and hardly can wait to try some of these recipes. They look fabulous, but why are they under the name of "SHIII U-Boat Kapitan's Cookbook." If there was one place on this planet over the last century where the food was close to being inedible, it had to be 20 meters below the Atlantic in 1943. They had one hot plate for somewhere between 34 and 46 crew. These recipes need a better title. I can hardly wait to try them when I do the meals on the weekends (It's part of the Honey-do list). Thanks guys, I've been looking for new ideas.