PDA

View Full Version : Moving A&C Discussion

Kelsa
01-19-2007, 01:10 PM
Before we flood the A&C discussion with this topic - I thought I'd move the topic here. Then we can talk freely about the merits (or lack thereof) of moving the A&C discussion to the Live forum.

Originally posted by Zander Nyrond:
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/353.gifHi UO! It's been suggested (moving the forum) but I don't know how people feel about it. We know where we are here. Besides, we can be a bit more fast and loose with the canon here (loose canon?) whereas in the new forums we might have to be more respectful...

I really have no preference where it is, but I'm not sure the Live site (to Zander's point) is being this free on their forums. Can we can post a link to this site on that site, or is that viewed as "spamming"
**edited to remove 2nd sig

marae
01-19-2007, 02:52 PM
I don't know. I guess my feeling is, the A&C is part of this community. It started here, and has been a fixture here for years. I see no reason to move it.

Many of the people who post in the A&C thread are not involved in Live. They may be eventually, as their circumstances change. For most it is a matter of technology, not preference. Still, they might not feel as comfortable there as they feel here. Here we all know we're welcome, regardless of platform or game experience. There, it's all terra incognita. I don't know who's over there. Here I have friends who are involved in this forum beyond just this thread. I personally would feel happier just staying put, rather than having to get accustomed to navigating a whole other forum and its culture just to visit one of my favorite threads.

I also understand that on the Live forums there would be restrictions on what we could include in our writing. I personally like the freedom we have here, and I know others do, too.

My vote is to stay put. As long as Ubi will have us, here is where I'd rather stay.

EDIT: Extra sig removed.

RaPhil
01-19-2007, 03:11 PM
I would rather stay here too.

As a semi-active participant in the Live forums, I would have had more incentive to move than stay, but I like the A&C staying in its original forum.

I personally think there are a few 'different' personalities on that other forum that like to interfere rather than help in some cases. I can see a storyline thread like the A&C being bombarded with comments from people who don't understand the idea and post without thinking.

If Ubi closed down the Uru forums, then I guess it would be worth thinking about moving there, but even then, I would prefer Myst Hangout (although I guess Ubi could close that down too) than the UruLive forums.

EDIT: edited to remove second sig.

jahura
01-20-2007, 08:39 AM
My two cents in this would be that if it came down to an abandonment of the forum first we could find a PHP host to support the archived data as a reference. There was a start of a "back-up" thread on DPWR when it was first thought that Ubi might pull the plug, and that might be a more artist-friendly place to continue.

But I agree with Marae that I don't think Ubi is going to abandon this forum. From time to time I have seen the occasional straggler come in from Prince of Persia or one of the Clancy games - and even though their stay is short we tend to differ even from their fora with an unwritten policy of mutal respect.

Like RaPhil says, I note there are those in the Live forums that seem to get their attention quota by being contrary and disagreeable with others. They don't exactly troll, for they know how to stay within the boundaries of the forum guidelines, but still there is that element of contention that makes me wary of ever posting there again. It makes me think twice about ever logging on to Live itself, for if that is the spirit of the community, then I want nothing to do with it.

(edited to remove duplicate sig)

RaPhil
01-25-2007, 10:46 PM
I don't think that is the spirit of the community, jahura - it is just the spirit of the very vocal few.

I had similar thoughts about logging on with the type of personalities I have encountered on the forums, but I have to say, online - ie, in game, I have found it to be very different. For example, for solving Delin, I found myself joining groups of people I had no idea who they were over three days until I finally made it in. If my experiences online had been like what I had read on the forums, I would never have joined with people I didn't know.

Anyway, that is sort of getting off the point.

I certainly agree that if we were to ever have serious problems with Ubi- Uru forums continuing, DPWR would be a great place to go. I'm sure Alahmnat would welcome us with open arms too.....you never know, he might even give Speedy a mod stick there too. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

marae
01-26-2007, 04:30 AM
I agree, if moving becomes imperative at some point in the future, DPWR would be my new location of choice. The Refugee Camp thread was fun, and we never had any grief there.

My experience in game on Live is similar to Ra'Phil's -- everyone seems very pleasant and helpful, and the one effort at Delin I was able to participate in (before I crashed) was very positive.

Forum posting is a challenge to keep civil, and has been since the very early days (I remember similar problems on bulletin boards in the 80's). It only takes a few vocal nasties to sour a forum, and it can happen very quickly unless the forumites stand firm against it. We have an established culture of respect and a vocal majority here who espouse positive posting practices, which makes it difficult for a hostile outside force to take hold. But a forum that gets off to the wrong start will unfortunately probably never recover, or will only with lots of hard work and good luck. It's just the way of posting culture.

So given what we have, that's another reason to cherish this place and stay here.

Speedyserd
01-26-2007, 05:35 AM
I really don't think we should worry about any closing for this group anytime soon. These threads are still fairly active on a continuous basis. Sure, it isn't as active as many other fora in the Ubisoft system (like PoP, Splinter Cell, etc) but oh well, more people tend to like those action games than thinking games. However, I feel that there are much more vulnerable fora than ours. However, it couldn't hurt to have a backup plan.
Al giving me a mod stick? I guess that could happen since he and I are on relatively good terms... oh, did you know he got married recently? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif lol.

RaPhil
01-26-2007, 06:13 AM
Yes, I knew - but it seems like a long time ago now.

Did you know he (and his wife) has just moved to Spokane??

Speedyserd
01-26-2007, 08:59 AM
Yep: same town where Jeff 433 lives.

Mr Zebe D
01-26-2007, 09:28 AM
Since every forum has its own identity and feel, I think that the A & C belongs here and shouldn't be moved unless absolutely necessary.

zarnic1
01-29-2007, 08:45 AM
Having frequented the A%C Hotel on occassion and was even there for their last big party (before the earlier January Crash wiped us all out), I am still not sure the purpose for this thread. Anyone want to enlighten moi?

Speedyserd
01-29-2007, 09:44 AM
Some people were questioning whether or not to move the A&C thread or continue the thread into another forum/server. That is my understanding of this thread. But it appears that the majority want the thread to stay in this forum for the time being and only move it should this forum ever close...

marae
01-29-2007, 11:26 AM
I think that's an accurate assessment, Speedy. As long as The Surface is here, here is where we belong.

zarnic1
01-30-2007, 11:07 AM
Now that I understand the purpose of this tread just let me add, I will follow A&C no matter where it goes!!

JadesDream
02-06-2007, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by RaPhil:
Yes, I knew - but it seems like a long time ago now.

Did you know he (and his wife) has just moved to Spokane??

...so does Grizz's son!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Well, I just opened my email and I received a notice from Toria that the forums had gone through major technical difficulties. I've been trying to catch up and it looks like (thanks to the wonderful people that have been saving all along) that it's going to be restored.

For my 2 cents, that really doesn't amount to much since I've not been active here, would be to stay put until the day we all get the heave-ho from Ubisoft. For some reason...this still feels like home.

Speedyserd
02-06-2007, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by JadesDream:

Well, I just opened my email and I received a notice from Toria that the forums had gone through major technical difficulties. I've been trying to catch up and it looks like (thanks to the wonderful people that have been saving all along) that it's going to be restored.

The only questions are 'when' and 'by whom'. There was SUPPOSED to be work done on the forum today however we have no idea if the work was already done or what the work was to be done on.
(grumbles a bit whie she drinks her morning tea)