PDA

View Full Version : H5 - Tribes of The East - Dev Diary 3

Ubi_Rickas
08-22-2007, 10:39 AM
Hey all here is the third dev diary. This time its a deep look into the Blood Rage. Enjoy!

The Blood Rage is the unique racial ability that is linked to the Stronghold faction of the Orcs, just like Training is to Haven or Necromancy to Necropolis. It is a very might-oriented ability that reinforces the Orcs natural traits.

The basic principle is that every creature in the Stronghold faction that has a dash of Demon blood in its veins (i.e. all except Wyverns and Paokais) has a special Rage counter in combat.
When the creature performs offensive actions, its Rage level increases. Performing a melee attack will provide more Rage than a ranged attack. If the creature waits or skips its turn, the Rage will decrease. It remains at the same level if the creature just moves on the battlefield. Rage grants the creature with a damage absorbing protection. Each time this protection is used in combat, the rage level decreases.
As soon as the Rage counter reaches a first threshold, the creature gains a special bonus, that will permanently affect it for the current combat, unless its Rage counter passes under the threshold limit again. When the effect is activated, the creature portrait will blink and a blood explosion will appear over the creature. The bonus name and effect can be checked by right-clicking on the creature's portrait in the Initiative Bar.

Two more thresholds can be reached by increasing the Rage level, allowing the creature to gain two more special bonuses, to a maximum of three. Each Rage stage is displayed on the creature's portrait in the Initiative Bar as a small blood drop. Each bonus has an effect that is specific to the creature's type.

The Blood Rage counter is set to zero at the beginning of each combat, though of course there are special abilities, skills, perks and warcries that Orc heroes can learn to earn their creatures a Rage bonus or to increase its growth rate...

We created this racial ability to make you feel the might of the Orcs when you are fighting with them. Basically, the more you attack, the more powerful you are. It is a very impressive ability, especially when you can effectively make your creatures boost each other on the battlefield.

Now, on with some technical details and basic rules:

The 1st threshold is reached at 200 Rage Points (RP), the 2nd at 500, and the 3rd at 1,000.
The "Rage Shield" has its own hit points that are calculated when the creature is hit, and corresponds to a fraction of the whole stack hit points. The stack looses the rage amount corresponding to the hit points that were spent for the rage shield. Absorption percentage varies according to the commanding hero's Blood Rage skill level.

All creatures in the heroes army get +20 RP for a destroyed hostile stack (even a summoned one), and +30 for a dead friendly one.
Individual creature Rage increase:

"¢Melee attack on an enemy: +100 RP
"¢Ranged attack on an enemy: +50 RP
"¢Spell attack on an enemy: +40 RP
"¢Harmful spell is cast on the creature: +10 RP (excluding damage-dealing spells)
"¢Using the Sacrifice Goblin (Shamans) or Swallow Goblin (Cyclops) ability: +60 RP
"¢Moving: 0 RP
"¢Using the Defend command: -30 RP
"¢Using the Wait command: -100 RP
"¢Skipping a turn due to bad Morale: -80 RP
Here are some examples of spells and creatures' abilities influence on Rage:
"¢Blind: the creature looses -100 RP for every turn missed.
"¢Berserk: the amount of gained RP is doubled while the spell is active.
"¢Hypnotize: the creature looses -50 RP for every action it performs, instead of gaining them, while the spell is active.
"¢Forgetfulness: the gained amount of Rage is decreased by 5/10/15/20 RP (depending on the expertise level for the spell).
"¢The creatures' abilities that move creatures back along the ATB bar (Bash, Warding Arrow, etc.) decrease Rage by -20 RP.
"¢Fear: a scared creature looses -100 RP.
"¢Life Drain, Weakening Strike: every such attack decreases Rage by -20 RP.
"¢Orcs who have the Enrage ability gain +60 instead of +30 RP for each defeated friendly stack.
"¢Cowardice "ability" decreases Goblins' Rage by -100 RP each time it is triggered.

And look below to see the bonuses earned to each creature type for reaching the Rage Point thresholds. Now you can start working on tactics with the mighty orc faction!

http://media.ubi.com/us/games/heroesv/media/RageChart.jpg

Oakwarrior
08-22-2007, 11:17 AM
"¢Ors who have the Enrage ability gain +60 instead of +30 RP for each defeated friendly stack.

Typo. Should be Orcs.

And head here to see the bonuses earned to each creature type for reaching the Rage Point thresholds. Now you can start working on tactics with the mighty orc faction!

Uh? Where? In the trailer?
EDIT: Found it from the french forums:
http://mightandmagic.fr.ubi.com/images/news/HV_DD3_tableau.jpg

Ya get the general idea http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

AudibleKnight
08-22-2007, 12:34 PM
Editted Ubi_Rickas' post to include the English version of the chart.

KingImp
08-22-2007, 03:07 PM
This sounds like a lot of fun! I can't wait to try this out.

A little strange though that we are finally getting the names of the units this way, but I guess beggers can't be choosers. How about some stats and abilities now?

Moragauth
08-22-2007, 04:24 PM
It's necessary to see creature stats to see how this will work out, but at first sight it seems much less imbalanced than I had thought it'd be (I do consider some bonuses excessive though.) Good thing Dungeon has a nice range of melee alternates to deal with these.

Now, why on earth do demons not gain rage is my next question? Isn't it demon blood that causes it? Makes no sense.

Imaginaut
08-22-2007, 10:24 PM
Maybe because demon blood doesn't make demons crazy, like human blood doesn't make humans crazy. It's just the way they are. That sounds like it would stand up in court.

However, didn't it mention somewhere that the orcs were actually created by the wizards? What was the base stock that they mutated with the blood? I know gremlins are mutated goblins, but what are orcs? Elves? Humans?

Oakwarrior
08-23-2007, 01:14 AM
It's necessary to see creature stats to see how this will work out

AK, Rickas http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

However, didn't it mention somewhere that the orcs were actually created by the wizards? What was the base stock that they mutated with the blood? I know gremlins are mutated goblins, but what are orcs? Elves? Humans?

Orcs were (IIRC) demons+humans+something really creepy.

smith-b-d
08-23-2007, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Oakwarrior:
... + something really creepy.
My mother? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Normandy09
08-23-2007, 05:48 AM
In Dark Messiah it was said that orcs are the mix of human flesh, and demon blood..

"injecting demon blood into human bodies" is a quote from the new trailer.

Normandy09
08-23-2007, 06:01 AM
http://media.ubi.com/us/games/heroesv/media/HV_DD3_smash.jpg

http://media.ubi.com/us/games/heroesv/media/HV_DD3_slash.jpg

These are two of the new four screenshots that I thought were cool, because of the new orc units. I think they are a version of the butcher, and if so the first is probably the chieftain, and the second one then would an executioner, but it looks more like an unupgraded version because of its lack of armor and special stuff around it, as seen in the first one.

Oh, and if you look in the back left of the second one you can see an upgraded orc warrior (red guy). Along with in the back right of the first one, you can see you are controlling the woman hero (who's ox is much whiter than the main guy hero). Very nice, I like using two main heros like this.

Either way, they both look nice, the first of the four at the US site (http://mightandmagic.us.ubi.com/) shows the Shamans hitting some ghosts, and then the second is a nice adventure map picture showing the orc hero and two stacks of white bear riders.

ImperialDane
08-23-2007, 02:56 PM
Well the Trailer was pretty cool, and some of the new information about how rage works is pretty nice. But i am somewhat dissapointed that the haven alternatives haven't been touched at all.. at least visually. At least the descriptions might be updated. Otherwise they might seem just a tad.. out of place.

Normandy09
08-23-2007, 03:06 PM
The RENEGADES havent been touched. That doesnt mean the alternates havnt. They have to have renegades in there for the campaign and Biara.

But even if they are the exact same, I wont be bad, I liked their look, the description will seem bad when we pair them with Isabel, but they will look cool, and I like their abilities.

ImperialDane
08-24-2007, 01:12 AM
They do look cool, but it just seems a bit like they just did it quickly there, though i think some of their abilities have been changed, at least the battle griffin has, but i do think they at least have changed the description... i hope.

Normandy09
08-24-2007, 05:39 AM
Yeah because as I have said in countless threads, if they keep the same sort of "badass" reputation, then they wont fit in when we are playing as the good isabel.

ImperialDane
08-24-2007, 06:00 AM
I am aware of that, they would generally not fit in with anybody except biara and her legion of doom, that is the problem with them, you really can't fit them in any other context. But i wonder how the new upgrade buildings will look. What kind of effect they would add to the city and so on.

Phoss
08-24-2007, 06:52 AM
If they keep the same names and appearance it just gives you the chance to play bad *** Haven. Men are easily corrupted, just because they are Haven doesn't mean they're fighting the good cause. Each Duke or County or whatever they are, can be fighting for their own cause and might not like the ideas of the Empire. I think that's cool.

ImperialDane
08-24-2007, 07:32 AM
Sure that could be cool, but the present descriptions for the unitseem more to indicate an allegiance to Biara, and not a general Rogue or Fanatical way, and again the regular un-upgraded haven troops can actually be used for this more self serving count, lord or duke in a sligthly better way i think.

Normandy09
08-24-2007, 03:10 PM
new upgrade buildings will look
I thought it was said there was only one upgrade building still. Maybe I was wrong.

But as ID said, it just wouldnt look right. I mean you can essentially have Fallen angels, and Arch Angels fighting on the same side and giving a **** about it. Their grail building is a very holy "good" loooking statue, not something that would be built by fanatics. Will be interesting how this works out.

ImperialDane
08-24-2007, 03:33 PM
I thought it was said there was only one upgrade building still. Maybe I was wrong.

I just assumed you would have to build one for each upgrade, that was the gist of it as far as i could gather from all the information, plus it would be a little cooler if you somehow could get a completely look of the same city by just sticking to one type of upgrades..

But as ID said, it just wouldnt look right. I mean you can essentially have Fallen angels, and Arch Angels fighting on the same side and giving a **** about it. Their grail building is a very holy "good" loooking statue, not something that would be built by fanatics. Will be interesting how this works out.

If it was fanatics that build it.. yes you could, but these renegades are demon cultists, that is where the problem lies but still, you can't have a fallen angel fighting besides an Arch angel. They have some fanatical feel, but it also has the feel of demon cultists, which isn't good. I mean you could probably find an alternative angel that could work.. only problem would probably finding a name for said unit.

But as you said, it could just be the renegades and we haven't seen the real alternatives.

PhoenixReborn06
08-26-2007, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by ImperialDane:
I just assumed you would have to build one for each upgrade, that was the gist of it as far as i could gather from all the information,

My understanding is that one dwelling allows you to recruit either alternate. So the dwelling resource cost is the same even if the alternates cost different prices...

C_h_u_c_k_l_e_s
08-26-2007, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by PhoenixReborn06:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ImperialDane:
I just assumed you would have to build one for each upgrade, that was the gist of it as far as i could gather from all the information,

My understanding is that one dwelling allows you to recruit either alternate. So the dwelling resource cost is the same even if the alternates cost different prices... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I sure hope not. I want you to have to build BOTH upgraded dwellings to have the option to buy BOTH upgraded troops. I don't think it makes sence otherwise.

PhoenixReborn06
08-26-2007, 09:05 PM
From CRPG.RU (interview with Nival at KRI-2007)

- About recruiting alternative upgrades:
In ToE, it will be possible not only to select one of two existing upgrades, but also at any time to switch between them. As soon as the player constructs the upgrade building, he will be able to recruit both upgrades at his choosing.

Elodin
08-26-2007, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by PhoenixReborn06:
From CRPG.RU (interview with Nival at KRI-2007)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
- About recruiting alternative upgrades:
In ToE, it will be possible not only to select one of two existing upgrades, but also at any time to switch between them. As soon as the player constructs the upgrade building, he will be able to recruit both upgrades at his choosing.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would rather that one building to have to be destroyed and the alternate building built. But since that is not so at least there will be a conversion cost to change one upgrade into another unless that was changed.

Since the game should about be gold now maybe they can release all the details.

ImperialDane
08-27-2007, 02:02 AM
I'd prefer if you would have to build both upgrade buildings to get both upgrade units. As it seems a bit dull that by building one building you can get access to two upgrades..which also doesn't make entirely sense if you think about it a little.

Normandy09
08-27-2007, 05:49 AM
But the problem is, is that most of the towns (if not all) are so crowded by the time you get everything, there isnt room for another upgrade in there. Because you cant just upgrade the existing upgrade building, because the two are usually way different, so you would have to add a new one. Yeah it would be more realistic, but o well, ya know? It isnt that big of a deal.

ImperialDane
08-27-2007, 11:41 AM
Well in some cases te alternates seem quite visually apart from the others, so an entirely new set of buildings wouldn't be entirely unimaginable.

Normandy09
08-27-2007, 02:33 PM
Yeah I know. I would love to see new buildings, it's just that it wont happen, unless they have decided to change it this close to release.

radarc65
09-25-2007, 10:27 AM
Nival could release Haven alternatives and give us thier stats and abilities... they did the same with other factions so I see no problem.