PDA

View Full Version : Why neglectful toward classic rock and metal?

nukecraftsman
10-19-2011, 05:45 PM
I know a lot of people that play guitar and most of them won't buy the game because the setlist is awful. There are plenty of classic rock and metal songs that aren't too terribly complicated to fit into rocksmith's mechanics that are also in standard tuning. I don't know what kind of backwards marketing logic went into choosing this setlist, but it has deterred a considerable amount of guitarists from purchasing the game. I would suggest some genre expansion when releasing downloadable content

rhoads_forever
10-19-2011, 06:09 PM
I'm one of them. I'd like to buy the game but the setlist is horrible (for me), I like maybe 3 songs. What's sad is the lack of communication on DLC. Not a smart move on a new game.

nukecraftsman
10-19-2011, 06:15 PM
That is why you must post on here so that ubisoft will realize they could increase there sales by 50 percent easy if they were to put some decent songs on here

Hetz76
10-19-2011, 06:40 PM
Yeah, they really do need more classic rock as DLC. I would love some more Eric Clapton or Cream!

steeljake
10-19-2011, 07:56 PM
it probably has a lot to with getting liscenes for the music.

Seceded
10-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Classic rock and metal are usually performed in E-flat or other dropped tunings and they wanted to stay on e standard and drop d but im sure they'll add more classic rock and metal in the DLC.

xxBuddhasPALMxx
10-19-2011, 08:31 PM
Alot of Metallica is standard tuning and tool uses drop d alot, so they could have been very suitable choices. I'd also like to throw maybe some Neil young, pink Floyd, bad religion, and social distortion in there as well, and maybe a lil magic carpet ride for good measure

SeattleSauve
10-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by xxBuddhasPALMxx:
Alot of Metallica is standard tuning and tool uses drop d alot, so they could have been very suitable choices. I'd also like to throw maybe some Neil young, pink Floyd, bad religion, and social distortion in there as well, and maybe a lil magic carpet ride for good measure

Metallica and Floyd are not the easiest bands to license though, so that is probably why you don't see those guys on the setlist immediately. Led Zep is also a tough one from a licensing perspective, and I'm sure we'll see a lot of requests for Zep too.

I'm a fan of classic rock, and I'm hopeful the DLC will pull some solid songs in from a variety of genres. Would love to hear some news on what we can expect in terms of DLC timelines, costs etc...

steelpanther85
10-19-2011, 08:49 PM
I wish they would put some Ugly kid joe songs on rocksmith even dlc, it was an underrated band from the 90s. I would also like some Pantera and learn some of dimebag darrells stuff, also some SteelPanther which is probably the best current metal band in this era and their new cd is coming out Nov 1st so maybe they can put some of that on, that would be very much appreciated.

steelpanther85
10-19-2011, 08:54 PM
Maybe a dlc where we can upload music from cds that we own and learn how to play them?

xxBuddhasPALMxx
10-19-2011, 09:03 PM
I'd think tool would be harder to liscense than than Metallica, I mean tool won't even put their catalogue on iTunes and Metallica? Well just look at the direction they've taken the last decade--total sellouts

SeattleSauve
10-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by xxBuddhasPALMxx:
I'd think tool would be harder to liscense than than Metallica, I mean tool won't even put their catalogue on iTunes and Metallica? Well just look at the direction they've taken the last decade--total sellouts

Possibly, I don't know the background on Tool, but Metallica has just historically not been the easiest band to license. They might be sell-outs, but they like to sell out at a higher price if possible http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'd be very happy to be wrong on this one btw, would love to see Master of Puppets, Battery, One, Seek and Destroy, etc... etc...

Martin37
10-20-2011, 12:11 AM
Just keep in mind that lots of groups are asking lots of money for licencing a song.
That's most of the time why they are not in a set list.

pranxor
10-20-2011, 04:52 AM
The setlist needs more metalsongs.Amen! There are so many great metal bands known and unknown. I would love to see some "underdogs of rock" dlc with some typical underground metal bands. Hell, I`ll settle for any form of hardrock/metal songs!

DrwhoGalefrie
10-20-2011, 07:30 AM
I;m digging the songs. Nice to play some Black Keys, and there is some early song by a Group I never heard of that was good too.

Metalica, don't really care about them at all. Or metal in general.

RedHotFuzz
10-20-2011, 12:00 PM
I wish bands would "pay it forward" and be more generous with licensing of their songs for educational purposes like this. Seriously, why fight online tablature? Why not license your catalog to great learning apps like Rocksmith? They should be flattered to have blazed the trail for a generation of new guitarists. It seems incredibly selfish and shortsighted to either 1) deny licensing for educational purposes, or 2) demand impractical licensing fees.

xxBuddhasPALMxx
10-20-2011, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by RedHotFuzz:
I wish bands would "pay it forward" and be more generous with licensing of their songs for educational purposes like this. Seriously, why fight online tablature? Why not license your catalog to great learning apps like Rocksmith? They should be flattered to have blazed the trail for a generation of new guitarists. It seems incredibly selfish and shortsighted to either 1) deny licensing for educational purposes, or 2) demand impractical licensing fees.
Alot of times, it's not just the bands as much as the labels and distribution companies, which I agree sucks

nukecraftsman
10-20-2011, 12:33 PM
Guitar hero and rockband developers managed to obtain licensing for the good music why can't ubisoft and there are thousands of classic rock and old school metal songs with standard tuning i know this because i play that stuff constantly and i almost always keep my guitar in standard with E flat on occasion

nukecraftsman
10-20-2011, 12:34 PM
this alternative garbage is not rock. It is a sorry excuse for music.

TheKillbot
10-20-2011, 12:48 PM
Marketing issue, too. Think about who they're targeting here.

Most new guitarists and gamers are younger, and arguably don't have the interest in classic rock that old farts like me have.

That said, I'm discovering some new music I like with this set list.

THAT said, we definitely need some DLC soon. And a bass expansion pack.

TheKillbot
10-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by nukecraftsman:

Hey, at least there's no Bieber or Lady GaGa on it.

*shudders a the thought*

xxBuddhasPALMxx
10-20-2011, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by TheKillbot:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nukecraftsman:

Hey, at least there's no Bieber or Lady GaGa on it.

*shudders a the thought* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I find i like most of this stuff, but I consider myself to be pretty well rounded in my preferences, and think both the metal and blues are lacking in this list. I mean they could throw some Pink Anderson or Floyd Council in the list and not have any issues with liscensing. Good stuff, and it would be new to most people

Trey_Trey
10-20-2011, 01:06 PM

Most new guitarists and gamers are younger, and arguably don't have the interest in classic rock that old farts like me have.

They probably did a revenue analysis and figured us old farts have the deeper pockets, thus will spend more on the DLC. I know I will when all the "classic rock" stuff comes out.

Wolfbeckett
10-20-2011, 03:10 PM
I agree that some metal and some more classic rock would be good just to diversify, but I completely disagree that the setlist is awful. A few stinkers aside (I'm looking at you, Kings of Leon and Lenny Kravitz), this setlist probably matches my own personal taste more closely than any other music game that's ever come out, I absolutely love probably 90% of it.

Originally posted by nukecraftsman:

Could not be more wrong if your name was W. Wrong Wrongenstein.

pranxor
10-21-2011, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by Wolfbeckett:
I agree that some metal and some more classic rock would be good just to diversify, but I completely disagree that the setlist is awful. A few stinkers aside (I'm looking at you, Kings of Leon and Lenny Kravitz), this setlist probably matches my own personal taste more closely than any other music game that's ever come out, I absolutely love probably 90% of it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nukecraftsman:

Could not be more wrong if your name was W. Wrong Wrongenstein. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, thanks for sharing your views Wolfbeckett, but this still doesn`t change the fact that the setlist needs more classic/rock/metal songs http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

\../ PranXor \../

Wolfbeckett
10-21-2011, 10:43 AM
I agree with that sentiment. All I'm saying is that just because those songs would be good, doesn't mean the current songs are bad.

nukecraftsman
10-21-2011, 12:14 PM

these youngsters may discover better music if you put in some more old school stuff as a matter of fact most of it was before my time as well, i am 28 i grew up in the 90s i was into the grunge music initially and then after having a couple friends show me some old school stuff i realized that that grunge was horrible by comparison

MostofaNahian
10-21-2011, 01:14 PM
A metal/hard rock tracklist is absolutely essential for popularity. It is the only thing that is still keeping me from buying this game. I am a big metal/hard rock fan and I was sad to see not a single heavy metal song. I know about 4-5 classic rock songs from the game. Definitely not enough to buy it. People who own a guitar have a better chance of buying the game (due to 200 price tag on the bundle) and chances are, they've listened to Metallica, Pink Floyd, Judas Priest, Megadeth, Dream Theater, etc.
It might be hard to license such bands. But Rockband and Guitar Hero did it, thus everyone will be looking forward to it. At the end of the day, the fact is its a 80 dollar game. So licensing excuses shouldnt stop Rocksmith from truly making it a "rocking" game. They would do a lot better if people saw metal/hard rock songs on their site tracklist before the game was released. It'd be sad to see a game with such potential not taking advantage of it. PLS ADD A BUNCH OF METAL/HARD ROCK SONGS through the DLC's http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

ReplicaX
10-21-2011, 02:13 PM
Soon as they said drop d I figured Tool was the ideal choice. Wish they could get them on board. Also thought the first 2 Sabbath albums were E standard, before Tony started using C#...

Hab_Fan
10-21-2011, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by ReplicaX:
Soon as they said drop d I figured Tool was the ideal choice. Wish they could get them on board. Also thought the first 2 Sabbath albums were E standard, before Tony started using C#...

There may be hope with Tool, at least I'm hoping. They didn't want to be part of the Rock Band or Guitar Hero games but struck a deal with Guitar Hero provided they didn't use virtual band members with their songs, hence only Tool Art during game play. Seems like a perfect fit for Rocksmith.

I would LOVE for some Pink Floyd but they have not been in any game so I don't have high hopes on them.

steelpanther85
10-23-2011, 01:57 PM
please have some Steel Panther,UGLY KID JOE and Pantera dlc.

cofccougar
12-08-2011, 06:25 AM
I've bought the game and it's an awesome way for people(kids especially) to actually learn some guitar skills instead of being an expert on guitar hero. There is a definite need for some kind of training manual to help people along and to provide the tab list for each tune along with the chord progressions needed. Since I'm an old fart, I'd love to see a Classic Rock pack. So what if the licenses are expensive. I'm sure Ubisoft will still be making a profit with the add ons. Maybe a little less than the less popular tunes on the game but they'd sell a lot more of the add-on packs. Less profit + more sales = $$$ No - Brainer.

smedford
12-08-2011, 07:27 AM
I think the setlist is fine. There are quite a few songs I wouldn't listen to outside of RS, but are really fun to play. Songs I like to listen to I really don't have a big need to play in the game.

drunkbiker
12-08-2011, 11:28 AM
Beside for few songs I'm actually please with the set list.
I found myself discovering some artists which I didn't even know they existed before buying Rocksmith.

On the other hand yes it would be nice to have some more classic rock songs, like AC-DC, Zeppelin, Beetles etc etc. but like somebody else pointed out licensing might be an issue or the amount of $$$$ these bands are gonna want in order allow Rocksmith to use their material.

c4zer
12-08-2011, 01:13 PM
I don't think music is about reliving your glory days back in the 70's. That's what classic rock radio stations are for.

The game provides a varied set-list that tries to appeal to many bases and, god-forbid, opens up people to music they may not have heard before.

And to say that there is no classic rock is wrong.

There are a ton of songs I'd love to see on this game, classic rock and metal included, but to write off the game because the set-list doesn't include the 15 songs I've listened to on repeat for the past 20 years is somewhat egoistic. So my recomendation to those that only want genre "x" is to enter the 21st century and start welcoming more types of music.

JaneyCastro
12-09-2011, 06:41 AM
I like most of the songs, and I've discovered some bands that I hadn't heard of before (Black Keys being one of them).

I think the goal is to have the content for beginning guitarists and to have it open and recognizable to more than just a niche metal and hard rock market. Not everyone who wants to play guitar likes Metallica or Megadeath, and there are probably a lot more would-be guitarists who'd prefer to learn to play Lenny Kravitz. Boston or the Cure than there are who want to play Anthrax.

The good part of that is that if they open it up to a wider audience, the chance of success for the game is higher, which means that more DLC can be released for all markets, including niche, as the game proves its viability (as is happening with the 12/13 release of Megadeath content).

Just my opinion, of course.

JellyRollBaker
12-09-2011, 09:36 AM
Don't dismiss the default setlist too readily, I wasn't keen on the song content before i played it but I gotta admit there are some nice surprises on there.

There are songs on there I wouldn't bother listening to normally but I've actually learned stuff from them and I've been playing guitar for 15 years or so.

DJKuulA
12-09-2011, 12:35 PM
While I personally would love to have had more classic rock and metal (I'm 40, FWIW), I appreciate that Ubi tried to appeal to younger kids too. And, frankly, while I've never heard probably half of the songs in the game, most of them are actually not bad -- so that's kind of a *good* thing. I was pretty nervous before I heard 'em, though.

Also, bear in mind that you're playing a real instrument here. It's not like GH or RB where you play a song a couple of times and move on to the next track. With Rocksmith you can spend hours perfecting just one tune.

SeattleSauve
12-09-2011, 12:51 PM
Also, if your friends are not buying the title because there is no classic/metal, at least you can point them to the recent DLC (Classic: Smoke on the Water, More than a Feeling, Jessica, and Metal: Megadeth) as an indication that rocksmith is not ignoring classical/metal.

There will be more, and this catalog is going to continue to grow. So tell them to get the game start working on the mechanics on the in box songs, and by the time they get through all of those songs there will be more DLC they can get excited about http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

You can also tell them that Cream/Clapton/Petty stuff on disc is reasonable to classify as classic rock.

Black_Widow9
12-09-2011, 03:37 PM
Since this Thread began there has been DLC released in these genre's. Please post in this Thread with your Band/Pack wants or your voice probably won't be heard.
Rocksmith DLC Band/Pack Wishlist (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3221009359/m/7831003959)
Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif