PDA

View Full Version : McCain doesn't know if condoms prevent STDs

stonelance
03-29-2008, 09:51 AM
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/03/16/mccain-st...s-on-hiv-prevention/ (http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/03/16/mccain-stumbles-on-hiv-prevention/)

Q: "Do you think contraceptives help stop the spread of HIV?"
Mr. McCain: (Long pause) "You've stumped me."
Q: "I mean, I think you'd probably agree it probably does help stop it?"
Mr. McCain: (Laughs) "Are we on the Straight Talk express? I'm not informed enough on it. Let me find out. You know, I'm sure I've taken a position on it on the past. I have to find out what my position was. Brian, would you find out what my position is on contraception I'm sure I'm opposed to government spending on it, I'm sure I support the president's policies on it."

This is what annoys me about politics. Not only is everything they stand for a lie, they need someone else to keep track of their lies for them. I guess we can't blame him for not knowing much about HIV... he probably hasn't had sex in 40 years.

stonelance
03-29-2008, 09:51 AM
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/03/16/mccain-st...s-on-hiv-prevention/ (http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/03/16/mccain-stumbles-on-hiv-prevention/)

Q: "Do you think contraceptives help stop the spread of HIV?"
Mr. McCain: (Long pause) "You've stumped me."
Q: "I mean, I think you'd probably agree it probably does help stop it?"
Mr. McCain: (Laughs) "Are we on the Straight Talk express? I'm not informed enough on it. Let me find out. You know, I'm sure I've taken a position on it on the past. I have to find out what my position was. Brian, would you find out what my position is on contraception I'm sure I'm opposed to government spending on it, I'm sure I support the president's policies on it."

This is what annoys me about politics. Not only is everything they stand for a lie, they need someone else to keep track of their lies for them. I guess we can't blame him for not knowing much about HIV... he probably hasn't had sex in 40 years.

OtnemeM_IroM
03-29-2008, 12:02 PM
...http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif
Contraceptives (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/contraceptive) DON'T help stop the spread of HIV, only the spread of the human race.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">American Heritage Dictionary:
adj. Capable of preventing conception.

n. A device, drug, or chemical agent that prevents conception. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It's a deceptive question. Add to that from Trojan's website:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Trojan Condoms:
If used properly, latex condoms will help to reduce the risk of transmission of HIV infection (AIDS) and many other sexually transmitted diseases. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>... BUT that is NOT their primary function, as they can't prevent them all and viral infections are smaller than a single sperm.

Conclusion: the interviewer is trying to mislead McCain with deceptive and luring questions.

ShadowSkullV5
03-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Sex kills.

Ghengis_John
03-29-2008, 12:25 PM
The question was contraceptives not condoms. Condoms stop HIV, spermicidal substances, birth control pills and abortions do not. While It's annoying that McCain would have to check with someone to know his position (dear God) that question was a pretty flagrant bomb as it was posed.

MuttonChopYaz
03-29-2008, 12:35 PM
God forbid he wants to check his facts before replying to a loaded/deceptive question....

But yeah, politics is all lies. That's why Obama doesn't induce fainting around anyone I know.

Ghengis_John
03-29-2008, 12:42 PM
Correction Mutton, I think he's just... just the gitchiest! *emits a high pitched shriek then swoons*

MuttonChopYaz
03-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Related (http://www.thedailytube.com/video/8065/obama-girl-on-snl).

OtnemeM_IroM
03-29-2008, 03:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ghengis_John:
The question was contraceptives not condoms. Condoms reduce the risk of HIV, spermicidal substances, birth control pills and abortions do not. While It's annoying that McCain would have to check with someone to know his position (dear God) that question was a pretty flagrant bomb as it was posed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>*FIXED* (and an important correction at that)

Ghengis_John
03-29-2008, 08:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OtnemeM_IroM:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ghengis_John:
The question was contraceptives not condoms. Condoms reduce the risk of HIV, spermicidal substances, birth control pills and abortions do not. While It's annoying that McCain would have to check with someone to know his position (dear God) that question was a pretty flagrant bomb as it was posed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>*FIXED* (and an important correction at that) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

EVEN A GOD KING CAN BLEED.

stonelance
03-29-2008, 10:05 PM
You need to read the rest of the interview, Ben. The original question was whether he would support government spending on condoms for Africa. I agree that the interviewers follow up question was misworded.

OtnemeM_IroM
03-30-2008, 12:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stonelance:
You need to read the rest of the interview, Ben. The original question was whether he would support government spending on condoms for Africa. I agree that the interviewers follow up question was misworded. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Reporter:
"Should U.S. taxpayer money go to places like Africa to fund contraception to prevent AIDS?" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Please show me where the word "condom" appears in the above sentence. Though I do agree with you that ANY conservative Republican should be able to instantly give you their position on this issue. It's pretty cut and dry -- do you want to use U.S. tax dollars to fund African social programs? Any conservative shouldn't even have to get as far as linking it to the sex issue, which lies secondary to the issue of sovereignty.

I hope you all don't read into this thinking I support McCain -- I don't. I just don't think that the issue raised by the OP (Title: McCain doesn't know if condoms prevent STDs) means anything and is easily dismissed after applying a little logic.

annexed4x
03-30-2008, 02:26 PM
Let Africa pay for there own condoms!

ERRRskate151
03-30-2008, 03:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by annexed4x:
Let Africa pay for there own condoms! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

k, let's just forget the fact that they can't pay for much as is...

OtnemeM_IroM
03-30-2008, 03:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by annexed4x:
Let Africa pay for there own condoms! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Stay on topic.